Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Extremely common OC names.

♞RedLotus♞

Hello there once again, you might of seen my thread called "Things I hate about OC's", which has caused a lot of buzz lately. Well, I want to make a new thread, slightly similar to that one. 

I consider this a game, kind of... Basically, whats going to happen is that I am going to give you the most cliche and common OC names that I can think of, off the top of my head. Feel free to join too! Just post as many as you can think of, try coming up with me most cliche, and most commonly used names right off your head.

(You might find your OC's name in this list, so don't be offended if you do. These names are coming straight from my head, so I'm not looking at any while I do this.) 

Lets do this!

-Shadow wing

-Dark blood

-Dark moon

-Midnight moon

-Shadow moon

- Blood shadow

-Lighting bolt

-Lighting strike

-Electro dash

-Super flash

-Flash cloud

-Wind breaker

-star dust

-Blaze

-Blaze fire

-Star dust

-Sonic boom

-Sound wave

-Flare

-Fire blaze

Notice that most of these names are all considered "Cool" or "Edgy", but they are just so common!

• Brohoof 7

-Wind breaker

tumblr_m73gk7K1AO1rb1960o1_500.gif

I am no expert on the topic, but this doesn't sound like the coolest or edgiest name for an OC. I hesitate to imagine what their cutie mark would look like.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 17

I have seen these names many times before, I love the darkness, but this is ridiculous.

Luckily for me, my pegasi OC's name is unique, combining a name of what type of speed can it achieve and what can it be in the future.

Which I think can be a cool concept for anyone looking for a name to a pegasus. 

Dark moon

Actually my name isn't as cliche as it seems, and yes I was hesitant about using it at first since it does seem like one of those names. Like using words like dark, moon, shadow, etc....

I constructed my name from my second favorite album by my favorite band Pink Floyd, take a guess which one. Dark Side of the Moon, hence Dark Moon. Also no one else on this damn forum has used the name Dark Moon for their recorded oc, just check the RP character list, you should check next time.

• Brohoof 1

Actually my name isn't as cliche as it seems, and yes I was hesitant about using it at first since it does seem like one of those names. Like using words like dark, moon, shadow, etc....

I constructed my name from my second favorite album by my favorite band Pink Floyd, take a guess which one. Dark Side of the Moon, hence Dark Moon. Also no one else on this damn forum has used the name Dark Moon for their recorded oc, just check the RP character list, you should check next time.

I started cracking up as soon as I saw that you had replied to this! Like I said, these come straight off my head so I didn't realize it was your name! Anyways, you are right though, words like midnight, moon, star, dark, shadow, and lighting are really common!

• Brohoof 1

Oh, hey, my OC's name isn't actually on the list. Her name is Puzzle Piece, so it doesn't really sound like such a common name. But, most common OC names I have seen usually evolve the words, "Dark, "Blood", and words like that. I also see "Lightning" and "Moon" as some popular ones as well. It doesn't necessarily mean they're bad names, just that they're common.

• Brohoof 1

I started cracking up as soon as I saw that you had replied to this! Like I said, these come straight off my head so I didn't realize it was your name! Anyways, you are right though, words like midnight, moon, star, dark, shadow, and lighting are really common!

I got a little defensive, but yeah, a large majority of those people just throw those together just to try to sound cool. Makes people like myself who put some effort/care into their names look bad.

I guess I could add to thee list myself since this is also a pet peeve of mine.

Anything associated with the night

Words from the mane 6's names, see those a lot as well, these two in particular 

-dash

-shy 

Lightning I see a lot as well.

Crimson

Crystal

Cupcake? apparently 

Edited by Dark Moon
  • Brohoof 1

man, am i glad Repsol Rave and James Roarke arn't on the list. seems there still is some kind of creativity inside me :P

anyway, most of the names you picked i find myself agreeing to. while some are a litle less common to me.

but that could just be me

I am no expert on the topic, but this doesn't sound like the coolest or edgiest name for an OC. I hesitate to imagine what their cutie mark would look like.

In the European version of Maplestory, the actual name for one of the archer classes was Wind Breaker. No joke. On their user profile it would be like "Level: 25 | Class: Wind Breaker"

As for common OC names - anything with Star in it. It seems like every other OC has the word Star in it. There are also five OCs here called Starry Night, and about two pages with OCs whose first names are Star.

Another one is Shadow and Sky. (There are SO many Pegasus OCs with the word Sky in their name.)

Edited by Flipturn Amaterasu
  • Brohoof 1

Lots of OCs have "shine", "dancer", or something music related like "note" or "beat" in them. I see it far too often. There can only be so many Lightning Shines or Shadow Dancers... (if anyone has this as their OC name I'm sorry, just an example)

• Brohoof 2

Let's see my OCs

Echo Sight: Probably common in blind pony OCs who's talent revolves around echolocation. Oh wait that's just who Echo Sight is XD

Anarchy: Yea I won't really talk about this one since I've been meaning to change it anyway

Volt Switch: I think this is fairly original

Diamond Dust: I think this is very original. But I actually think that someone else has this OC name too, but for a complete different reason from mine

Aroma Remedy: Eh I guess not the most original

Blaze Finder: Yea this one is one of those "Blaze" ones but I dunno

Dog Ears: Yea noone has this name for their OC XD

Castor and Pollux: I think they are pretty original

And my Ponysona Thinkin' Inks: This is by far one of my better names. I personally think it fits into the show, especially since there is a Soarin'

I don't really know why I  did that. I guess I just wanted to see for myself how original my names were :P

I hate these names as well... especially the ones involving fire-related words. 

It also bugs me when I see ponies with human names. There are some exceptions, like Octavia, where it can represent some kind of word that relates to them as well, but giving your pony a name that is normally a human name is kind of annoying.

I always try to keep my names original by looking through my dictionary to find any really strange words that could come together to become a really neat name.

My most favorite kind of pony names are words or a phrase that could be used as a normal phrase in a normal sentence. (Kind of like Silver Spoon. I think her name represents the fact that everything is fed to her on a silver spoon, so she is spoiled and snobby.) I have seen some original characters with names like this, but I can't quite remember them.

Edited by Star Scribe

Well, apart from what has already been said, Blue Moon is a pretty common name as well. It's not as common as something like Shadow Dancer, but it is the name of quite a couple OCs. It's not that original in my opinion.

Haha, but ze Fireball Rush iz not on ze list, iz she? Non, she is unique! 

Can't say that I'm too unique with names either, I guess I just got lucky for Fireball. 

I've never heard of a Shadow Dancer though.

Lots of OCs have "shine", "dancer", or something music related like "note" or "beat" in them. I see it far too often. There can only be so many Lightning Shines or Shadow Dancers... (if anyone has this as their OC name I'm sorry, just an example)

My wife's screen-alias is Snowdancer. 'course, she's been using that name for over twenty years, so I think she gets a pass on it. :)

Funnily enough, she named one of our RL horses that ten years ago as well, so you could say it really is a pony name. She was on a kick of naming all the horses after weather stuff, but out of that the only ones we have left are Snowdancer and Tempest.

Snowfall: I've used it, along with another fourteen people and counting.

Daisy: Funny part is that it's a background name.

Spark: Could probably see a bunch of reasons why.

<insert human name here>: Nikolai, Elliot, Eric, Aaron, Mark. Stuff like that.

Spectrum: Also a background pony, but you probably won't know him anyway.

Neon: DJ OCs use this name a lot.

Autumn: Either used solely or added with another word.

Rapid Fire: Wonderbolt; mostly used for pegasi OC or OCs related to firearms.

Primrose: The variation of Roseluck! Just kidding.

Aurora/Borealis: The former is an OC from Rainbow Factory; both are often used.

Inferno: Fire solves everything.

Glitter: Refer to Inferno.

Solaris/Polaris: Good enough.

Emerald/Sapphire: I think this is better for Crystal Ponies.

Constellation

• Brohoof 1

I looked through the OCs on here, and only two people have Storm Cloud(including me, whichis surprising). I'm also thinking of making a DJ OC named Turntable. I haven't seen an OC called Turntable.

I looked through the OCs on here, and only two people have Storm Cloud(including me, whichis surprising). I'm also thinking of making a DJ OC named Turntable. I haven't seen an OC called Turntable.

Through a quick google search, this was the first result I've found :P

http://justing511.deviantart.com/art/Turntable-An-MLP-Dissabled-OC-381097169

I just looked through DeviantArt (using the search function) and there are far too many OCs with the same names (or at least extremely similar ones). It's like people don't do research before naming them. Not that it's a bad thing that two have the same name...it's just not right.

Dem dark and edgy names. I sort of get a kick out of those just because it's too funny to me. I giggle at names with blood, shadow, or anything dark like that in them. Can't help it. :P

Edited by SmartyPants
  • Brohoof 1

Why do so many of these names remind me of warrior cats?

Er, anyway, I suppose names with colors are common. There are a lot of nature-y names as well (like Cloud, Lightning, Star, ect.) Though I get why those are common, based on the names in the show. I don't think that there's anything necessarily wrong with using a word that's common, as long as the name makes sense.

I'll pick on one of my OCs, Blue Note. That name probably doesn't seem very original, but her father (Proof Hooves) is one of the most uncreative ponies alive. She had blue fur, so Blue was the best he could up with. Her mother (Sky Note) is very vain, and wanted her name on Blue Note. 

Well, I don't think any of my OCs names are on here (Thankfully) I kind of assumed a lot of mine would be here... (I have a lot of OCs actually, it's just that I don't use many of them)

Volt Switch: I think this is fairly original

Isn't Volt Switch a Pokemon move? Lol

I got a little defensive, but yeah, a large majority of those people just throw those together just to try to sound cool. Makes people like myself who put some effort/care into their names look bad.

I guess I could add to thee list myself since this is also a pet peeve of mine.

Anything associated with the night

Words from the mane 6's names, see those a lot as well, these two in particular 

-dash

-shy 

Lightning I see a lot as well.

Crimson

Crystal

Cupcake? apparently 

Add Night Flash to that. One of my OC's. I'm pretty sure there is no other OC with that name but it sounds cool and it sounds like it's very common.

• Brohoof 1