Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Soarin old?

Sergios117

On the new (at the time of this post) MLP forums banner, we have a diagram of Soarin. I paid attention to his image and noticed he has eye bags, which is a sign of getting old.

I thought this was a mistake and watched Best Night Ever and saw that he had eye bags in the episode as well.

As said before, eye bags are a sign of getting old, so does that mean Soarin is middle aged or something.

If that is the case, then what if a future episode involves Soarin retiring from the Wonder Bolts and giving his position to Rainbow Dash?

It would be a cool episode, but if he really was old, then it's good bye to SoarinDash and SoarinJack for me.

• Brohoof 6

I don't think that's a sign of getting old, he is probably just tired from working with the Wonderbolts. They usually just call it Crow's feet, if someone is getting old with bags under their eyes.

• Brohoof 3

i don't think he's getting old. but as said above, it would make for a awesome episode :3

i think it's just either from working with the wonderbolts or it just belongs to his design.

• Brohoof 1

To be fair, it could have also meant that he's tired from being a Wonderbolt 24/7 or because he's nervous. I looked back on the episode, and noticed that Soarin was pretty shy in the gala. Maybe that's why he has eyebags.

Soarin' just might have had a busy week or even a busy couple of weeks, even people that are fairly young can get bags under their eyes with extreme fatigue. I used to work graveyard a few years ago and I was probably not much older than maybe 23 or 24 if I remember correctly and I developed some fairly thick bags under my eyes from it as a matter of fact there were other people on graveyard that were not much older than me some even younger that had even thicker ones. Soarin' is definitely older than Rainbow Dash but I think he is probably not much older than maybe his early 40's though I think he is most likely in his early to mid 30's.

• Brohoof 1

I guess you can say that he's old. I've noticed that, too, but never really paid attention to it. To this point, I just thought that that was a part of his character design..?

• Brohoof 1

I don't think he's getting old, he may get tired from working as a wonderbolt and gets no little sleep. Many people in real life get tired from working too hard.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what qualifies as "old" for you. If those bags under his eyes are always present, it could mean one of two things - one, he's an "older gentlecolt" somewhere in his late 40s (maybe even early 50s); two, he is constantly sleep deprived.

I honestly don't think it's the "stress of being in the Wonderbolts" since, well, wouldn't all of the Wonderbolts look like that? Spitfire doesn't, nor Surprise, nor any of the others I can readily think of. How likely is it that he's the only Wonderbolt who's letting the stress get to him? IMO, that kind of does a discredit to him, almost as if to imply that he's the "weakest link" by being marked by stress where his fellows show no signs thereof.

Looking at some of the other older stallions from the show, like Twilight and Rarity's dads, they don't seem to show much aging despite being in what we can guess to be their 40s. Pinkie's dad, on the other hand, may be even older, since not only is his mane graying, but he does indeed have those lines beneath his eyes. I'd hazard a guess to say that Soarin's probably old enough to get those lines, but not old enough for his mane to start graying. So I'd put him at being older than Twi/Rare's dads (early-to-mid 50s, maybe?), but younger than Pinkie's dad.

...Purely speculatively, of course. I feel I need to state this to potentially untwist anypony's panties.

Me, I kind of like the idea of him being an older Wonderbolt. It'd show that anyone can hold onto that youthful vigor with enough training and dedication. Plus, such an older member holds a lot of potential to act as a pool of wisdom and experience...kind of like a Peppy Hare who doesn't constantly shout "DO A BARREL ROLL!" The ol' prick. >_>

Edited by Lowline Thrash
  • Brohoof 2

Being a Wonderbolt is hard work, eating apple pies and relaxing on their clouds is what they do. Those "eye bags" is because he's been partying too hard with his friends and getting drunk with all that Apple Cider.

• Brohoof 3

It's possible that he could be old. Which in turn, would make the whole Rainbow Dash x Soarin shipping a bit more awkward. :huh: lol  I personally think the bags under his eyes are a result of all the Wonderbolt training he's been through. Training so much and so hard, that it even causes him some sleep deprivation.

Edited by Sanderspie

I'm actually pretty sure that Soarin might have been one of the jocks in Equestria Girls. I may be wrong, but if I'm not, then he's probably about the same age as the others. 

http://i.imgur.com/fHpVBws.png

On second thought, that might not be Soarin, but... Huh.

He could be young and just out of shape because of the obvious enthusiasm with which he eats pies.

Soarin isn't old, his design just has that feel because his uniform covers up a part of his eye.

If you take a look at where the opening for his eye is, you'll notice that it's flat and doesn't show his full eye. They add that line to show that his eye continues on under it.

• Brohoof 1

I've always noticed his eye bag, although by the sound of his voice, he doesn't appear to be old at all. Could be like other ponies have said, "he's tired of soarin (haha) all the time".

Hello!

I had this question in my mind for quite a bit. I always wondered if Soarin's old, or is he just always dead tired? The being tired part doesn't really work, because none of the other wonderbolts seem to have this sign of being tired... Is soarin really the weak link? :huh:

It would make for a great episode indeed! Perhaps, with a large amount of attention being pointed towards Soarin :)

I only noticed this on the banner...

I would say he has them because he's just tired from flying, but then, shouldn't the other Wonderbolts have bags under their eyes? So, either he works harder than the rest, he's older than them, or he's tired from things unrelated to the Wonderbolts.

Do not tease me about a Soarin episode. *Goes into dreamy state*

*Ahem* Echoing what others have said, it could be a combination of tons of flying, which they apparently already had done at that point during the Gala and stress, which doing tons of work can create. It seems that the Wonderbolts are constantly doing flying shows so that wouldn't surprise me. That, or it could be what Lugia said about it being an indicator of the rest of his eye. I need to ask about this on Twitter or something, though I won't get a response.

So....About that Soarin episode....

• 1 year later...

Soarin doesn't strike me as an old pony at all, but I have often wondered about the bags under his eyes. Like people have said, I think it's to do with the stress of his job as a Wonderbolt, but I'm not sure.

If he was old, that would DESTROY  my love of SoarinDash, and I am NOT going to let that happen! XD

I'm pretty sure he's young, because his voice sounds young.