Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your camping Experiences? (I'm a first time camper next week)

Planty

Hey Pony's!

I'm a first time camper, and next week I am going to be camping for 4 days on a camp (luckily some friends will be there with me :) )

So (without scaring me to bad :P ) What are your experiences of camping? 

If you enjoy it, why? If not, Why? What are your camping highlights/funny moments/ worst bits!

PS: was gunna post a pictures but apparent no extensions work ever :/!

• Brohoof 1

It's conditioned in my brain that every time I wake up, there's a bug in the ceiling of the tent. I hate tent camping, but I love motor-home camping. Especially with my grandparents. There was one time we drove all the way from Alberta to B.C.

• Brohoof 2

I've had a few experiences good and bad however we tend to drink when we camp so it can get hectic a mixture of good and bad from fishing, to cooking on a roaring fire to one of my more "charming" friends taking a crap out in the open in a lake good times :lol: I hope you have fun and have many stories to share with the forums.

• Brohoof 1

The one time I went camping was after a very long trip with my family. We got very tired so we decided to camp out for the night, to continue our trip for some reason.

• Brohoof 2

Every year i go camping with my family during summer break and it really is a great time to have fun and bond with family. We usually go to campsites that have activities you can do like a beach or a fishing lake because you dont wanna stay in the tent for the whole day that would be boring. We always bring stuff to play with incase we get bored like a football or badminton rackets and cards. Every night we would do a bonfire and roast marshmallows and stuff, oh and BTW at night the bugs go crazy! So i would advise you to bring a lot of bug spray and what i would do is wear sweatpants or jogging pants and a sweater at night so i dont get bit by bugs, and you might be thinking isnt it hot when there is already a fire and your wearing a sweater and sweat pants? It really isnt that hot. So then we go to sleep and once i get on the bed i go straight to sleep. I think its the sound of the night that makes me fall asleep that fast. Then the next day we would go to the beach and relax and take a dip in the water. We also go fishing really early because thats probably the right moment for catching fish and we usually stay out on the lake the whole day.

As long as you are prepared everything will go fine. I hope you have fun

• Brohoof 2

Camping sucks.

My parents love it, but I want nothing to do with it. Heat, humidity, bugs, gross bathrooms/showers. I can say all of that twice. It's awful.

I like nature. But only during the cooler seasons.

This one time I went camping in the woods, I have some well off friends who managed to rent a cabin for us. We were having a fun time just chatting and drinking but then things started to go wrong, these freaky zombie like things started attacking us, long story short all my friends died and it turned out to be some elaborately controlled cabin in the woods for people to be killed in.

... Wait... Did that really happen or was it a movie...

• Brohoof 1

I've had a few experiences good and bad however we tend to drink when we camp so it can get hectic a mixture of good and bad from fishing, to cooking on a roaring fire to one of my more "charming" friends taking a crap out in the open in a lake good times :lol: I hope you have fun and have many stories to share with the forums.

Haha, that sounds like fun :)! I'm not sure we will have loads to drink but I don't doubt I will have loads of great stories to tell! Maybe I can make a blog about them when I get back :)

First time I went camping was when I was in scouts in my school. We travelled to the English countryside for the event and we did stuff like camp fires, hikes and a trip to an amusement park was a pretty fun and interesting experience :)

• Brohoof 1

The one time I went camping was after a very long trip with my family. We got very tired so we decided to camp out for the night, to continue our trip for some reason.

Haha, this is the exact opposite of my family, we once drove straight home from France and missed our overnight stop in a tent because my dad didn't want to camp (and that was a big tent with a cooker and stuff)!

This one time I went camping in the woods, I have some well off friends who managed to rent a cabin for us. We were having a fun time just chatting and drinking but then things started to go wrong, these freaky zombie like things started attacking us, long story short all my friends died and it turned out to be some elaborately controlled cabin in the woods for people to be killed in.

... Wait... Did that really happen or was it a movie...

hmmmm, Hopefully a movie :P

• Brohoof 2

Horrible... I went on three camping trips from grades 7-9, every trip ended in disaster.

The teachers got super grumpy due to a lack of sleep, the tent was always a pain to put up and especially a pain to take down, the students talked loudly all night, mosquitoes everywhere, went without a shower for 3 days (well, we did swim in the lake...), we planted the tent right on top of a branchy area so sleeping was awful, all the water was gone by day 3 when we had to take the freaking tent down, crappy meals each day cooked on a second-rate Bunsen burner...

But you know what?... I think I would do it again. While my trips were disasters, there was something special about being out in the middle of nowhere for three days. The one thing I can say is that it's an extremely peaceful experience... Well, when you can get away from the other campers at least :P

My one tip though: When you plant a tent, make sure you do it right the first time.

Edited by Celtore

Camping is alright, the days do feel quite long but normally you can do some fun things depending on what's available in the camping area. The only real problem is when it rains as you can get scared about getting your stuff wet even when you're pretty sure it's fine in the tent.

Also sleeping can be a problem if you don't like sleeping bags like me ((grumble grumble.)) The two together as well isn't good either. Not in the slightest. Apart from that enjoy cooking marshmallows round the fire is great fun and prodding the fire with a stick which is oddly satisfying as it was also my favourite part of the last time I went camping.

Anyway have a nice time and see how long you can live without the internet!!

• Brohoof 1

I just got back from spending three months living in a tree planting camp. It was awesome. I love camping. Don't worry about bringing things to keep yourself busy so that you don't get bored. The point of camping is to do the things you need to to to survive and be comfortable like gather and chop wood, cook your food, set up your shelter, and then spend the rest of your time exploring the area or doing basically nothing. Go for long walks, go swimming and just float there looking up at the sky, lay in the grass and maybe take a nap. Nature speaks to you when you do nothing.

• Brohoof 1

I have had many good experiences in camping. And some bad ones. It's good that you are going camping with your friends because it is always fun to have people to derp around with. I enjoy camping usually just because it usually feels like you are so far away from society, which for me is a nice feeling. My favorite moment I have ever had camping was just my friends and I hiking down a trail. Just hiking. I just felt so at peace which is was I want to get out of camping, just peace. And my worst experience, well let's just say massive thunderstorms and camping don't mix well. :P

Holy crap, man. Camping is the greatest. Fishing, sleeping in tents, s'mores, it's such a good experience. My favorite part of it is hiking. Even though I have to wear, like, 10 pounds of bug spray, I like hiking through the woods and such. 
You'll love it, man. Just hope you don't get rained on. That's always the worst.

Edited by Stevenearthpony
  • Brohoof 3

Me and my family always seem to be camping there are some bad things about camping dealing with rain bugs hot weather but those can be avoided if you plan ahead I for one enjoy sitting outside on a cool fall/winter night were its nice and peaceful its even better when your on top of a mountain and can hear the nearby falls in the background gives you a very nice place to think or sleep

• Brohoof 1

I haven't been camping since i quit boyscouts a while ago, mostly because i just didn't feel motivated to go to eagle, and we where a small and dieing troop frankly.

However, camping can be quite enjoyable, you have to make the most of it, sure it can feel weird and be hard to get use to, but in the end its normally enjoyable. I like going to campouts where its more secluded at the camp, like you don't feel like your in society much, I don't go bare or anything, We have tents and supplies we bring and stuff, but I don't wanna camp right next to a town or something ;p. Heck i think camping is also better if its just your group. You can be alone and have fun, and not feel like your just living in a more country city or something ;p.

Sure there is no internet, (well I don't recommend you use it, unless you need to, it ruins the camping experience to an extent.) your sleeping on a sleeping bag, which isn't the most comfortable thing really, you don't really have the lights from civilization(Which is good and bad, bad because you can't see without a flashlight after dark, but good because you can see many beautiful stars in the night sky. And you don't have any bathrooms(Well it depends, some campsites do, of course as odd to get use to it can be sometimes, oddly enough I find it kinda gives a feeling of freedom, you don't have to worry about being near a bathroom when you need to go, because the world is your bathroom xD. Well and being a guy its not a terrible burden really. I guess for females it can be a bit harder, but still as odd as it is, its a kinda freeing thing to be able to pee pretty much wherever xD.)

And i would argue that you can't make good food camping, well depending on if you bring the right equipment to. I mean If your going bare without anything, then well.. I think thats a bit to adventurous for me even ;p. 

Still, we've made some good things, we even made pizzas in the fire, and since we bring ourself stuff to cook on and with we make stuff like peach cobbler(Which btw in scouts we made the best freaking peach cobbler ever... I don't even like peaches that much, but omg so good...) 

So yeah, you can have a pretty good meal frankly, depending on what your doing exactly. 

Oh and bring lots of bug spray, and possibly sun screen depending on the weather. Because bugs are crazy at night, especially without any civilization around. And sunscreen is pretty important if your going swimming or something.

And make sure somebody in your group can tie knots. Because those might come in handy ;p. 

Camping is pretty relaxing though, its nice to feel free from the burdens of normal life, and just relax. 

Rain can be pretty bad at camping trips though, since you don't have a way to cover alot of your stuff, so it might get wet, and also ants will go rabid after rain. 

So try and plan the trip for a time when its not likely to rain, and especially not any natural disasters. 

Oh and don't put your tent on an antpile... and don't keep your tent open to let ants in, especially if you have food... we learned that the hard way one year...( we had ants all over our stuff, luckily we left that morning, but still...)

But camping is fun, overall, we don't go anymore because my family isn't interested in it much, nor do we have the funds or resources or time to go somewhere to camp(Much less a place secluded enough to feel like camping.) and again i'm no longer in boyscouts. 

But if i could go, i might go still idk, despite the fact i miss the internet, after a bit you get over it. Maybe takes a day to get use to everything, sometimes a little longer, but then its fun! Its even better with friends.

Besides, you can stare at the night sky for quite a while, while sitting around a campfire talking about whatever the heck your going to talk about xD.

Or as we called it in boyscouts, we watch Natures TV(The night sky) While sitting around natures video game(Campfire).

Oh and trees are Natures bathroom xD. If it isn't obvious enough... :P. Haha.

We had some entertaining discussions and fun times over camp with boyscouts.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Just make sure to be safe, you don't wanna die camping, especially if its hot drink plenty of water, and don't do anything you shouldn't.

Also i'd recommend learning atleast the 3 main poisonous plants, Poison Oak, Poison Ivy, and Poison Sumac. (There might be more, but those are the main ones i remember being important.) and maybe study on other poisonous animals, just so you make sure you can be safe and not get hurt.

Oh and one last thing, do not, I repeat do not, dare anyone, let someone, or yourself, pee on the campfire to put it out, sure it might sound like a funny joke or a fun way to put out the fire, but... Well lets just say burnt pee doesn't smell very good at all... I know that from experience...

Have fun dude! Can't wait to hear about everything! I'm gonna have to check out that blog post when you make it!

• Brohoof 3

We used to do a ton of camping :D We've pretty much always stayed within Texas though. still, we went to some beautiful places. We camped in a pop-out trailer and brought sleeping bags and stuff. We would take mountain bikes and hit the biking trails, some of which were actually pretty dangerous and exhausting. Then we'd go swimming in the lake or river. Campfires were super fun, you have GOT to try cooking a meal over the fire. Try shish-kabobs or wrap some chicken in foil. Make s'mores and yummy stuff. Public campground bathrooms are disgusting and horrible btw. Wear flip flops in the shower, because the floor will most likely be covered in mud. Depending what kind of place you're at, there might be giant bugs. Giant flying bugs especially like to live in the bathrooms. Just ignore the giant bugs, they are creepy but still harmless.

If possible, bring a telescope to watch the stars with.

I feel like adding this randomly. One time while camping I got chased by a pack of wild turkeys. Not even kidding. They are territorial apparently.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

We used to go camping when I was a kid. It was just meh. I was always told to go outside as it was so it was just being outside in a park. However the last time I went camping was a few years ago with friends. I learned some valuable things then such as put something over the tent when it rains or you wake up with a wet butt and smack your friend the next time he decides to bring day old unseasoned firewood. Outside of those and a few other negatives, its alright.

The only thing I dislike about camping in a tent is that I feel like crap when I wake up in it.

Other than that, I love camping. The last time I went camping, I went with 2 friends and the one friend's dad. While we were sleeping, there was this car alarm that got set off. It was on for so long, that the car battery actually died before anyone turned it off. There was also this group of teenagers that were up all night screaming and waving flashlights into people's tents (The dad thought they were tripping on LSD.) Finally at around 1 AM, he went over to them and told them in no nicer terms to "Shut the fuck up".

But I still like camping.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 1

The only thing I dislike about camping in a tent is that I feel like crap when I wake up in it.

Other than that, I love camping. The last time I went camping, I went with 2 friends and the one friend's dad. While we were sleeping, there was this car alarm that got set off. It was on for so long, that the car battery actually died before anyone turned it off. There was also this group of teenagers that were up all night screaming and waving flashlights into people's tents (The dad thought they were tripping on LSD.) Finally at around 1 AM, he went over to them and told them in no nicer terms to "Shut the fuck up".

But I still like camping.

This is the bit I'm worried about to be honest, lucky I have a tent that I can stand up in which will hopefully make it easier in the mornings :)! I do love a good shower though maybe if it rains I can take one then :x

I just got back from spending three months living in a tree planting camp. It was awesome. I love camping. Don't worry about bringing things to keep yourself busy so that you don't get bored. The point of camping is to do the things you need to to to survive and be comfortable like gather and chop wood, cook your food, set up your shelter, and then spend the rest of your time exploring the area or doing basically nothing. Go for long walks, go swimming and just float there looking up at the sky, lay in the grass and maybe take a nap. Nature speaks to you when you do nothing.

Yeah! This sounds great!  I guess If I just try and relax and let myself just enjoy it and not focus on what I don't have that I have at home I should get through it fine :)!

• Brohoof 2

I love camping and been camping loads! This summer alone I have been camping 3 times! My main helpful tips about camping are...

Bugs - There are 2 types of bugs that love camping territories, Mosquitoes and wasps, so make sure to not overreact to wasps and spray midge spray for mosquitoes! But remember you are in there home, not the other way round!

Food - There are no Ovens when you go camping, this makes cooking harder and take longer, good ideas would be, barbecues, campfires or hot pots!

Rain - Depending on where you are going rain will follow, it will deprive you of sleep and soak everything, so be prepared!

Even though these subjects an be problems but camping is fun, everyone can enjoy it and it is a great way to enjoy nature! Good luck and have fun! :D

• Brohoof 1

OH MA LAWD camping is great. Or hiking to be more precise. Hiking is a great experience. What kind of camping are you gonna do? Are you gonna hike ( For example: You have 4 days to get from a to b and just sleep under a tarp on your way there. Its so great. Trust me.) Or just plain old sleeping in a tent in the same spot for 4 days? Sleeping under a tarp is fun aswell though. It brings its own set of difficulties.

If i were to list all the great and fun experiences i had while hiking... I would be writing for approximmately 3 days straight. Its so great and you learn a lot. I have been doing a couple of multiple day hikes and have been living (for a couple of times aswell) in a tent for up to 2 weeks straight. As soon as you have learned some basic rules ( For example: DONT leave an open package of food ANYWHERE if you dont like sharing your tent with an ant colony; Dont leave stuff lying on the ground incase of a flooding;... you get my point. ) are you gonna have the time of your life.

Edited by Guest

Well, most of my experiences aren't really appropriate to mention, usually involving oversized campfires, drunkenness, and general stupidity. None of it is advised, unless you're into fun that is barely legal.

To keep it short, I've always considered true camping done in a tent, there's a bonfire on which you cook your dinner over (usually hotdogs or other meats), salty snacks are a necessity as much as fishing is, and breakfast is usually omelets or other greasy food made over a small gas grill.

Camping is fun. I was apart of the boy scouts but had left about 6-7 years ago. As the scout master of our pack number had sorta set up activities to do, we had did things like archery, and rock wall climbing. What I found the best was the smores and the stories. I was actually scared by one of the stories since I was about 11-12 at the time, but other than that, you should have a great time.