Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Opinions of Fluffle Puff

Slice0Pie

The first time I saw her, I thought she was a modifed Pinkie Pie. Part of the reason I like her is that she reminds me of my longhaired cat.  While I think she's cute, I don't understand why she has so many fans for an OC. There's no logical reason for her to be as popular as she is. But I do like her.  :)

I don't think she's cute. For the longest time I had no idea what she was supposed to be, figuring that she was some kind of alien ball of hair that the fandom had taken a liking to for whatever reason. Sorry for being so negative, but I really can't say that I like Fluffle Puff.

Wow, DF, I have known you for almost a year now and this is the first serious difference of opinion we have had to the best of my knowledge. Sigh, I guess you're really not me after all. :P

Edited by Wingnut

I'd say as much as fluffepuff's popularity doesn't seem logical I'd compare it to this: Why are Internet videos of cats so popular?

She has appeal on certain levels with people. I like her simple design, much like how the rest of the main six have simple designs. Some people like the fur as it makes her cute-looking. Some people like her pet-like persona playing with boxes and making faint noises resemblant to animals. Some people like her ability to express overall positive emotions and behavior. Some like the skits that portray her in videos interacting with other characters. She is overall bubbly and her appeal is fairly simple.

She is the Jubjub of OC's

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)
  • Brohoof 1

Fluffle Puff: literally proof that the fandom can not care about anything other than "it's cute" to become a huge fan of something. I have seen several videos to see what the point of it and here's what I've figured out.

- Fluffle Puff is retarded, if not just outright stupid, doesn't even speak outside of a gasp, and blows raspberries because ....it's cute or something.

- RANDOMLY living with Twilight Sparkle in her library with Chrysalis? Like.....really? Just that sentence alone is as 'fan fiction' as you can get.

It's just....no.

The fact it's somehow shown up as #1 or in the top 5 in Youtube made videos by fans, outdoing other, more creative and interesting projects is retarded. It's like why cute videos of cats are so damn viral but actual meaningful videos with any creative thought are nowhere nearly given the same views/comments.

Fluffle Puff is stupid.

literally proof that the fandom can not care about anything other than "it's cute" to become a huge fan of something

Aside from well the video's animation work, the voice actors they've got, fairly simple comedy...

Hmm this sounds like a show a lot of people around here like to watch. (Minus Dialogue, character developement, and universe building of course, doesnt make it good, but at least enjoyable notheless)

Also I beg to differ (Example: Cupcakes, Snowdrop, Friendship is Withcraft, Fighting is Magic)

RANDOMLY living with Twilight Sparkle in her library with Chrysalis? Like.....really? Just that sentence alone is as 'fan fiction' as you can get.

But isn't that the point since it's an OC? They can put it wherever they want. (This of course doesnt mean it follows any logic as most fan works do and doesnt mean it's good. However I do see it as a good way to introduce the character Dan from "Dan vs" to the brony community)

• Brohoof 1

You all know the funny, cute Fluffle Puff! What are your opinions of her? I love Flufflepuff. She's just..Silly. It's hard to explain. She's just awesome.

Does she have a good color scheme? Well, her eye colour and gradient go nice with the pink fluff she is covered in. I guess it is.  

Is she best OC Pony? As probably a lot would say, I do prefer my OCs to Fluffle. I still love flufflepuff a lot, though. She's probably my favourite well-known OC pony.

Is she a terrible or amazing OC? OC-wise...She's unique. She was the first Fluffy pony (And it's cool because I saw Flufflepuff much before she became popular. :V ), and..Yeah.  bouncing_fluffle_puff__free_da_avatar__b

• Brohoof 1

I kinda think the amount of randomness that those videos tend to lead to can kind of run short faster than they think. There's usually not even an actual joke to most of them - it's just doing something cute before the credits roll. That said, I wouldn't go so far as to say I dislike them - just that I feel there's not much point to them, and they could be a bit more structed while still having the same charm.

I kinda think the amount of randomness that those videos tend to lead to can kind of run short faster than they think. There's usually not even an actual joke to most of them - it's just doing something cute before the credits roll. That said, I wouldn't go so far as to say I dislike them - just that I feel there's not much point to them, and they could be a bit more structed while still having the same charm.

Well I mean they're literally made by one guy by himself, sans the voice acting, so I don't really think being longer is much of an option if this person is a normal person with a normal life.

To those who say they character's humor is based purely on cuteness, you should read a little deeper into the videos and check out the tumblr. There's a sort of eldritchian implication with Fluffle Puff's character that sits in the background, which I find wildly hilarious.

Plus cuteness is like 1/8th of the actual show's pull, so I don't see how that's a problem. (A few rather quality anime titles are literally based around cuteness as a central idea so take that!)

Edited by Dusknight Haze
  • Brohoof 1

I'm in an analytical mood right now, so imma go way more in depth on this than necessary.

Reasons why Fluffle Puff is so awesome, appealing, and popular:

1. Quirkiness.

This is the exact same reasons that many people, such as myself, consider Youtube Poops hilarious. For whatever reason, people have a tendency to find normal situations that are subverted into ridiculous situations to be hilarious. The key factor here is the element of surprise; there has to be a normal situation with one or more silly and/or ridiculous element(s) that is completely and utterly unpredictable. How does Fluffle Puff, as a character and a cartoon, pull off this style of humor so effectively?

a: She does not talk. We often associate voice with personality, and by listening to a voice, we grow used to the personality behind the voice. Since she doesn't talk, it is very difficult to grow used to her, which makes utilizing the element of surprise so much easier.

b: The pacing of the cartoon and comics. This one is probably the biggest factor in taking advantage of the humor of surprise, and it is most noticeable in the animated cartoons. The cartoons flash quickly and instantaneously between scenes with little to no transition, and since transitions are used so that people may grow comfortable with the next scene and anticipate it, this means that new scenes will catch the viewers off guard.

Another way that the pacing works so well for the Fluffle Puff media is that the character's actions fit this perfectly. Since she has such a different appearance, does not talk, and has no clear motivation besides playfulness, the viewers have no clue what to expect when she does perform an action. Her actions are totally random, and the way that the other characters--especially Twilight, who usually acts in a very orderly fashion--respond to this is hilarious because of the clash of randomness and predictability.

Her method of performing actions works perfectly with this as well. She usually is in one of two states: Waiting...or suddenly doing crazy stuff!!! The waiting phase builds up tension and anticipation, but it does not give away what she is about to do, which could potentially ruin the joke. The suddenness of the crazy stuff is extremely important because, again, it is all about how quickly a joke can catch the viewers off guard. Oftentimes the waiting phase is skipped, but never in the same way twice--the object is to make the media as unpredictable as possible.

2. Adorableness.

Wait, are you expecting me to have to explain why she's adorable?

3. Relationship with Chrysalis.

I actually did not expect this concept at all from Fluffle Puff, due to its literary depth. One thing that I have discovered in MLP (and probably most other stories) is that the character best suited to reforming any given villain is that villain's conceptual foil--that means, whatever concept(s) the character represents is the opposite of a concept the villain represents. For example, Discord showed in Return of Harmony that he is exceptionally cruel--his sole motivation was enjoyment, which he gained by making others suffer. Ergo, the perfect pony to reform him was Fluttershy, Element of Kindness...I actually thought of using Fluttershy to reform Discord in a fanfiction I planned last November and have been fleshing out since then, but I'm not claiming credit for the idea; Keep Calm and Flutter On simply confirmed this theory.

There are many, many examples of when people invoke this concept, even though they may not even know it:

MLP episodes:

Keep Calm & Flutter On: Discord, a being of Cruelty, is reformed by Fluttershy, Element of Kindness

A Friend In Deed: Cranky Doodle, who suffers from Depression, is 'reformed' by Pinkie Pie, Element of Laughter

Secret of My Excess: Spike, consumed by Greed, is 'reformed' by Rarity, Element of Generosity

Magic Duel: Trixie, a pony with a serious lust for Power, is reformed by Twilight, Element of Magic

Other media:

Sombra, bringer of Fear, reformed by Pinkie Pie, Element of Laughter

(I could collect more, but I’ve spent like an hour on this already @_@)

et cetera.

What relevance does this have to a pink pony with fluffeh fur? Well, based only on what we have seen in A Canterlot Wedding, Queen Chrysalis’s traits—concepts, if you will—are that she is extremely cold (does not love), and based on her monologues, she has  very high-and-mighty snobbish personality. As a total foil to this, Fluffle Puff pretty much loves everyone, and does not care at all about her self-image, which is part of why she is so silly and random.

Fluffle Puff was an ingenious idea as a complete foil to Chrysalis, and the fact that she pretty much reforms Chrysalis makes her not only an awesome character on the surface levels of being adorable and hilarious, but on the deep literary level of being a character foil as well.

And that is why Fluffle Puff is awesome.

pfffpfpfpfpfff

• Brohoof 3

Well I mean they're literally made by one guy by himself, sans the voice acting, so I don't really think being longer is much of an option if this person is a normal person with a normal life.

To those who say they character's humor is based purely on cuteness, you should read a little deeper into the videos and check out the tumblr. There's a sort of eldritchian implication with Fluffle Puff's character that sits in the background, which I find wildly hilarious.

Plus cuteness is like 1/8th of the actual show's pull, so I don't see how that's a problem. (A few rather quality anime titles are literally based around cuteness as a central idea so take that!)

I think my use of the word "short" might have been misworded. Basically, I mean that when all the entire purpose of your video is based off random, quirkiness, and little actual structure or intent, it can be uninteresting. Obviously not to the many people in this thread, but it's still my own opinion. Example:

Video idea: Fluffy eats a pie (exists)

-Fluffy smells something, investigates and has physical jokes searching around people for the source of the smell

-Fluffy finds it's coming from an apple pie, and pursues it

-Upon arriving at a picnic table, she is offered a part of the pie, and eats it. ...'Yay'!

How I'd do it:

-Fluffy smells something while walking around town, and finds a pie on a windowsill that Granny Smith finished baking.

-Several comedic attempts at trying to take the pie, thwarted by an ever-watchful granny (dressing up as a huge wolf, and having the costume revealed; attempting to be a ninja; etc)

-Finally, granny hands off the pie to the CMC, to Fluffy's dismay. Seeing her disappointment, Granny offers a leaf from a book to her - it's a recipe to make apple pie herself.

-Cut to Fluffy back in the treehouse's kitchen, delightedly making her own pie (although given her hyperactive nature, it's mostly just making a mess and irritating Twilight)

• Brohoof 2

To be completely honest, I'm not a huge fan of Fluffle Puff's design.  The whole fluffy thing doesn't really do it for me.  That said though, I do enjoy her silly innocence and always watch her new videos and Tumblr posts.

Fluffle Puff is a adorable...easily one of the most adorable things I've ever seen , and oh god is Fluffle funny xD
I almost died when I first saw the youtube clips xD

• Brohoof 1