Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would you think about an anime version of MLP?

InvaderShy

MLP anime version  

50 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's a good idea to make an anime version of MLP?

• It's not a good idea. It's an excellent idea.
    • Maybe, perhaps, I'm not sure. I still have my doubts.
    • No way, that could mean the doom of the series

If we take on the assumption that Hasbro would allow this, I'd be skeptical.  While I love anime and believe that a good MLP anime is POSSIBLE, it could also be one of the worst things to happen to the pony franchise, almost as bad as G3.  Take a look at Power Puff Girls and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Both were great shows, and both had terrible anime versions made.  MLP would most likely fall under the same category, but it might work out okay.

You had me at anime, but you made me fall in love when you mentioned Sonic X. It's so awesome that people hold that in high regards. I was afraid no one cared. :wub:

If we take on the assumption that Hasbro would allow this, I'd be skeptical.  While I love anime and believe that a good MLP anime is POSSIBLE, it could also be one of the worst things to happen to the pony franchise, almost as bad as G3.  Take a look at Power Puff Girls and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Both were great shows, and both had terrible anime versions made.  MLP would most likely fall under the same category, but it might work out okay.

You know, even though I am a Sonic fan, I was ready to throw Sonic X into that mix. It's only at it's best when it is doing game adaptions or season finales, otherwise it can be quite boring. But honestly, it's not the show's fault for ANY of these properties! They were just unfortunately made by people who don't have a passion for the property. The makers of FiM clearly do, and if the same passion can be found in Japan no matter how different it might be, I'd welcome an anime any day. :squee:

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

You had me at anime, but you made me fall in love when you mentioned Sonic X. It's so awesome that people hold that in high regards. I was afraid no one cared. :wub:

You know, even though I am a Sonic fan, I was ready to throw Sonic X into that mix. It's only at it's best when it is doing game adaptions or season finales, otherwise it can be quite boring. But honestly, it's not the show's fault for ANY of these properties! They were just unfortunately made by people who don't have a passion for the property. The makers of FiM clearly do, and if the same passion can be found in Japan no matter how different it might be, I'd welcome an anime any day. :squee:

...you do realize that the Sonic franchise started in Japan, right?  As far as I'm concerned, they can modify the snot out of it all that they want to.  Besides, Sonic hasn't been good since the late '90s, and Sonic X is the pinnacle of crap that it has produced.

Edited by Washougal_Otaku

...you do realize that the Sonic franchise started in Japan, right?  As far as I'm concerned, they can modify the snot out of it all that they want to.  Besides, Sonic hasn't been good since the late '90s, and Sonic X is the pinnacle of crap that it has produced.

Yes, I do. I am fully aware of Sonic history. I've been a Sonic fan longer than I've been a brony, and I've been a fan of FiM since Season 1's original airing on TV. Not to brag, but there is very little Sonic trivia you can surprise me with.

Even so, I'm picky about how I think Sonic should be portrayed in cartoons. That's why it makes me happy that so many people like it. It was so drastically different after 4Kids dubbed it, but on the surface, there weren't enough changes to warrant companies like Funimation to redub it. Thank goodness the original uncut Japanese episodes are on Hulu.

But I'm getting off topic. :P

Edited by Samurai Equine

Yes, I do. I am fully aware of Sonic history. I've been a Sonic fan longer than I've been a brony, and I've been a fan of FiM since Season 1's original airing on TV. Not to brag, but there is very little Sonic trivia you can surprise me with.

Even so, I'm picky about how I think Sonic should be portrayed in cartoons. That's why it makes me happy that so many people like it. It was so drastically different after 4Kids dubbed it, but on the surface, there weren't enough changes to warrant companies like Funimation to redub it. Thank goodness the original uncut Japanese episodes are on Hulu.

But I'm getting off topic. :P

Honestly, it's not that hard to believe, considering that Sonic began over 20 years ago.

But yes, getting back on topic...

Things that would help make the show more successful than others that have made the jump:

• Top-quality voice actors; the first two that come to my mind are Megumi Hayashibara as Rainbow Dash and Aya Hirano as Twilight Sparkle.
  • Clean animation that isn't trying to look like "normal" anime, nor like the original FiM series.
  • Plotlines that make sense.
  • Absolutely no sex-related jokes.
  • A better way to incorporate humans than EG.
  • Have it be a remake, not a continuation or branch-off.
  • Some Japanese-cultural references, but not so many that it doesn't feel like MLP.
  • Allow Lauren Faust to provide her expertise.

Honestly, it's not that hard to believe, considering that Sonic began over 20 years ago.

But yes, getting back on topic...

Things that would help make the show more successful than others that have made the jump:

• Top-quality voice actors; the first two that come to my mind are Megumi Hayashibara as Rainbow Dash and Aya Hirano as Twilight Sparkle.
  • Clean animation that isn't trying to look like "normal" anime, nor like the original FiM series.
  • Plotlines that make sense.
  • Absolutely no sex-related jokes.
  • A better way to incorporate humans than EG.
  • Have it be a remake, not a continuation or branch-off.
  • Some Japanese-cultural references, but not so many that it doesn't feel like MLP.
  • Allow Lauren Faust to provide her expertise.

Funny, cause I was about to say that it could continue right after the original show reaches its conclusion. As for the humans bit, I'd prefer the show to have no humans at all. I will agree though that Lauren Faust should have involvement with the anime. Also, make the whole thing adventure oriented, not another slice of life comedy with adventure elements sprinkled on it like the actual show. Oh and of course, introduce new locations, and more races and creatures.

If the anime would indeed be a remake and Faust having involvement, here's the things that would happen.

- Princess Celestia would be changed to "Queen Celestia"

- The anime being more adventure oriented without any of the slice-of-life stuff

- Cadence being a unicorn

- No twilicorn

- Twilight would eventually take Celestia's place

Could be other things that Faust intended the show to have, but I don't know any of them right now.

Edited by vgmaster9

Even if Lauren was asked to collaborate on the anime, it wouldn't be 100% her creation to make. There are things that would be popular only on Japanese television; things that the average Japanese viewer would want to see but not necessarily things American audiences would care about, things that might not even make it past the FCC. Not only is Japan a more liberal country, but there are cultural differences to consider. At best, even if they did collaborate with Lauren or anyone from Hasbro or DHX, the anime would just end up being something that tries to please a larger international audience. That means it could go in either direction.

Consider shows like Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist, and Attack on Titan. Those anime used a lot of western influence instead recycling Japanese lore and tropes for then Nth time. They had an international audience in mind, but the creators behind them clearly had a passion for what were making. If the passion isn't there, if the production staff feels like they are being pigeon-held into making something for a foreign country, the anime could turn out generic and boring. No real fun to be had, none of the magic that made us all bronies in the first place, just a play-by-the-numbers anime that doesn't really try to capture our enjoyment in any way.

That being in mind, if collaboration is REALLY the way to go, maybe it'd be better if the anime was just a special FiM side story, like an OVA or something. Something just for the fans, still continues the characters and stories we all ready know, but puts a subtle yet obvious Japanese spin to it.

Edited by Samurai Equine

How could would it be is Hasbro would let an animation company from Japan make an anime to tie in with FIM? It could be done by the people who did the animation for Sonic X. The anime could also be more adventure oriented, like how Lauren Faust originally wanted the show to be.

I would personally prefer it if anime was done as a fan project rather than officially.

An anime spinoff of MLP:FiM sounds awesome, I love anime and I love ponies so yeah, I'd watch it.

• 3 weeks later...

As part of G4, no. FiM is already being dubbed in Japanese on TV Tokyo/Cartoon Network Japan, and I'm sure that Hasbro doesn't see the need for an anime based on G4; they're already seeing good results with our current Flash-based show. 

Now, as part of a future MLP generation, sure. As long as the storyline is enticing and the characters are well-developed, I wouldn't have a problem with a future MLP anime.

• 1 month later...

Well, first of all, I wouldn't want it to be sexualized like every other female in at least well-known anime. I also hope it won't be too much ask if the make the breasts modest and at least somewhat realistic. 

Other than that, I also think it would be one beautiful spin-off. ^^

ded000eeb37bebac8d2b90642683be54.jpg

Besides the fact that anime just means Japanese cartoon, I'm just plain bothered by the generic anime style applied here in general. More specifically, I'm bothered by the lack of diversity present within the characters that are being presented in "anime" fanart.

My dream idea for a humanized or, ech, "anime"-esque spinoff for My Little Pony would take into account their different origins for their races. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash would obviously look and seem drastically different from Applejack and Pinkie Pie, but so too would there be at least minute differences between Applejack and Pinkie Pie due to them growing up in different places (rock farm vs. apple farm) instead of just having the same bodies, faces, and skin colors being reused over and over with the only difference being their hair and clothes. I also thought certain body types could fit certain characters. Pinkie Pie could be slightly chubby due to party food and cake and all that, Applejack could be tall and muscular from her work on the apple farm (or stout and muscular, either works). Fluttershy could be covered very modestly, wearing long clothes that cover her skin a lot, while Rarity could look classy and elegant, with slender build and with long extravagant dresses and make up that makes her eyes pop out and show off just how well she looks. Rainbow Dash, perhaps, could have the build of an athlete, slender but not as muscular as Applejack. I could imagine Twilight Sparkle as being a little chubby too. Maybe having glasses...? I know that's more a stereotype but it does help to convey to the audience what kind of character she is.

I don't know. Various ideas tossed in, hah.

@@dusk.night &@vgmaster9,

I've merged a few topics on MLP becoming an anime and moved the discussion to Sugarcube Corner since it's not directly discussing the Friendship is Magic series, but instead talking about an idea for a new series.  In the future, please be sure to run a search before starting a new discussion thread to make sure there's not a similar thread somewhere else on the forum.  Thanks!

• Brohoof 1

I would not have bothered with MLP:FiM if it looked like anime. :maud:

So im not all for a anime version, especially if it butchers the style of the ponies. Like this... :maud:

hqdefault.jpg

However, something like this, my eyes could actually stand.  :maud:

YelQyrlrsdE.jpg

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills

If another country like Japan made their own version of FiM, it would be interesting to see what they come up with.

Beyond that though I don't really see the point in making this "anime". It's already animated, so making it "anime" would basically amount to being like what we have now, but with a bunch of anime cliches shoehorned in just for the hell of it. Seems pointless.