Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you do when nervous?

Zygen

So I just felt like randomly making this, same reason I make most of my threads.. Just because Xd.

So pretty straightforward question I think, what are things that you do or happen or whatever when your nervous? I know we all get nervous at one point or another, some more then others.( I get nervous a lot tongue.png)

What are some things you do when nervous? It can be anything really. From twiddling your thumbs, to pacing, to having to pee, ect ect ect.

I'm sure we do something when nervous, even if it takes some analyzing to notice you do.

Anyways, I do different stuff, I do pace sometimes, or I just am in a state of worry and can't relax. I also tend to twiddle my thumbs, or like I'll fool with something in wearing, like my school ID.

I am also a nervous pee-er. When I'm nervous I guess my bladder goes into over drive or something. I mean like a while ago I had honor band tryouts( which I didn't make) and I think I peed like 3 times in the 30 minutes before I went on. One of my fellow trumpets was the same way tongue.png.

Not to mention competitions, I have to make sure I pee before those.

I also sometimes get sick to my stomach, nothing happens, I just feel uneasy.

It also affects my breathing sometimes. Which sucks when your in band and trying to play a wind instrument, but can't breath properly.

There's probaly some more, but that's the ones I can think of for now.

So what do you do when your nervous? Any of you do stuff similar or the same as me?

Maybe you have some story about it idk.

Just curious frankly tongue.png.

So yeah, what kind of nervous things and tendancys do you have?

• Brohoof 4

I always sweat and bite my nails if I'm nervous, especially when I have to present something in front of my class. It happens a lot and usually I'm not in control of it.

Edited by ~Harmonic Scoots~
  • Brohoof 1

Well I do not really get nervous that easily. However when I do, the only things I can really notice and what I have heard from others is that I say stuff like "eeehhhh uuuhhhh eehmmm..." a lot when I talk.

• Brohoof 1

I always pace when I'm nervous. Just wherever I am. I will just get up and start pacing around the room. Or if it is in a place where that is not appropriate I will just become very quiet and clear my mind.

• Brohoof 2

I have a tendency to rhythmically tap my fingers against the nearest hard surface, mostly as a way to momentarily distract me from whatever is making me so nervous at the time.  

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

I tend to start tapping something when I'm nervous, be it my fingers or bouncing my leg. I used to bite my nails. I also have noticed that I clench my jaw whenever I'm feeling nervous, amd my stomach starts to ache.

Also, you're in band?! Awesome! I play trumpet, and I can totally relate with you. We have to play at half-time for football games, marching and everything, and I can say, it is a lot harder to play when nervous. I have to breathe a whole lot more than I normally do.

To counteract my nervousness, I usually listen to music. It is one of the few things that calm me down. Everything else is too hectic. :)

• Brohoof 1

Usually if I'm nervous I'll start pacing, but if I can't pace for whatever reason then I start tapping my foot. I also seem to have the tendency to become more talkative when I'm nervous. And if I can't do any of these then the nervous tension just kinda builds up until I can release it, usually by running and/or jumping(once I'm alone, that would be awkward with other people around) since it builds up like energy.

Edited by Icy Void
  • Brohoof 1

Three things:

- I start over thinking, inevitably into the negative.

- I look at my phone, a LOT.

- I chew a lot of gum. Literally I can go through an entire pack in about ten minutes because I keep popping pieces in.

I'm working on the second two, because I can choose to leave both of those things at home, and not let myself have access to them when I do get nervous. Then I'm forced to face what makes me nervous instead of relying on crutches.

No idea what to do to the first...

Edited by ~Master~ Button Mash
  • Brohoof 2

I have this necklace that I wear, and I do generally just hold the stone or play with it when I'm a little nervous.

Or, I crack my knuckles. I do that even when I'm not nervous, so not sure if that counts :P

• Brohoof 1

When I'm nervous, I start to crack my knuckles. Then, I crack my neck. Then my wrists, and so on and so forth. I keep on cracking stuff until someone finally stops me or says something like "Good God, man! Will you stop it already?!"

I also catch myself swearing under my breath.

Edited by Arretez
  • Brohoof 1

Whenever I get nervous, the first thing I usually do is take some deep breaths. Usually by doing that, I can let out my emotions a little, and feel slightly less stressed. I can also be a nervous pee-er like you. :P So I always make sure I can take a stop at the bathroom before something nerve-wracking occurs. :P

I also tend to pace a lot too.

• Brohoof 1

Ah my left leg shakes like crazy... its like my leg wants to run as fast as it can... but my right leg wants to just stay there.. its like half my body wants to run like hell but the other half is like suck It up..

Ah if I'm really nervous, my whole body shakes... and I have to drink a lot!

Edited by ~Chaotic Celestia~
  • Brohoof 1

I usually tense up and start pacing. I might start fidgeting or tapping. If I'm in a social setting, I hide, and if I have to present something to a group, I keep my hands together to keep from fidgeting. I also catch myself talking louder and louder. Sometimes just stopping and taking a deep breath is all I need to do.

• Brohoof 1

I bite my nails and shake my knees back and forth or tap my toes.  (Though i seem to do the second all the time, I'm still saying it's a nervous habit. )  These don't hurt anyone, so I don't bother trying to correct them.

• Brohoof 1

I always sweat and bite my nails if I'm nervous, especially when I have to present something in front of my class. It happens a lot and usually I'm not in control of it.

I hardly sweat even when its hot ;p. 

I use to bite my nails randomly, but the habit lucky didn't really catch so i don't. I do sometimes clean them out of dirt and stuff, and sometimes when they don't even have stuff, thats sometimes just bordom though ;p.

And yeah i know, I'm sure most of us have nervous tendency's we don't control, its the point of the thread ;p.

When I'm nervous I concentrate Twice as hard and I stay very quite... I may look to my Left and Right Constantly. I would also speak extremely fast but enough to where it seems as if I'm talking like a teacher.

Interesting, I normally am spaced out, or trying to find ways out. Of course sometimes I just try to look over something alot, or can't remember it what so ever.

I also avoid eye contact when nervous, especially in public speaking.

I normally speak a bit faster to.

Well I do not really get nervous that easily. However when I do, the only things I can really notice and what I have heard from others is that I say stuff like "eeehhhh uuuhhhh eehmmm..." a lot when I talk.

I get pretty nervous pretty easy, anything out of my routine makes me nervous ;p. 

And i do that all the time ;p. I have to gather my thoughts sometimes and start going Ummmm and stuff.

I always pace when I'm nervous. Just wherever I am. I will just get up and start pacing around the room. Or if it is in a place where that is not appropriate I will just become very quiet and clear my mind.

I pace around alot to, but if i can't then well i just sit and twiddle my thumbs or something. Clearing my mind is almost impossible when nervous ;p. I try to take deep breaths though.

I have a tendency to rhythmically tap my fingers against the nearest hard surface, mostly as a way to momentarily distract me from whatever is making me so nervous at the time.  

I do that to! Especially being in band ;p. I play trumpet, but still.

I tend to start tapping something when I'm nervous, be it my fingers or bouncing my leg. I used to bite my nails. I also have noticed that I clench my jaw whenever I'm feeling nervous, amd my stomach starts to ache.

Also, you're in band?! Awesome! I play trumpet, and I can totally relate with you. We have to play at half-time for football games, marching and everything, and I can say, it is a lot harder to play when nervous. I have to breathe a whole lot more than I normally do.

To counteract my nervousness, I usually listen to music. It is one of the few things that calm me down. Everything else is too hectic. smile.png

Haha yeah, I start acting like i'm a drummer, even if i'm a trumpet player, or i'll tap my part.

My stomach starts to ache sometimes to, depending on the intensity of nervousness.

Yeah haha, thats awesome. 

And especially since i have a part in a trumpet trio we have in the show i'm especially nervous. And its much harder to take full breaths when nervous :/. 

Music is relaxing to listen to yeah. If i don't have any i just breath deeply

There is nothing really I am doing when nervous, only thing I can't control when I'm nervous though is my own body, I don't like, how it randomly heats up when I'm nervous, especially the arms... x.x

I see, well like i said something happens to all of us, whether our own cause, or habit, or our body atleast I think.

Usually if I'm nervous I'll start pacing, but if I can't pace for whatever reason then I start tapping my foot. I also seem to have the tendency to become more talkative when I'm nervous. And if I can't do any of these then the nervous tension just kinda builds up until I can release it, usually by running and/or jumping(once I'm alone, that would be awkward with other people around) since it builds up like energy.

Yeah i tap my foot to sometimes. 

I'm not really more talkitive when nervous, although sometimes i guess. alot of times i'll just sit and laugh kinda at whatever to try and wear it away.

Three things:

- I start over thinking, inevitably into the negative.

- I look at my phone, a LOT.

- I chew a lot of gum. Literally I can go through an entire pack in about ten minutes because I keep popping pieces in.

I'm working on the second two, because I can choose to leave both of those things at home, and not let myself have access to them when I do get nervous. Then I'm forced to face what makes me nervous instead of relying on crutches.

No idea what to do to the first...

I only really over think things when i'm alone and its quiet and stuff. Although i guess sometimes i overthink the consequences to a situation.

I don't really use my phone though ;p. Or even look at it. And i don't chew gum, but dang a whole pack?

I have this necklace that I wear, and I do generally just hold the stone or play with it when I'm a little nervous.

Or, I crack my knuckles. I do that even when I'm not nervous, so not sure if that counts tongue.png

Yeah i have my school ID i do the same thing with ;p.

I don't really crack my knuckles, but alot of people do ;p.

And if you do that normally idk if it counts really ;p. 

When I'm nervous, I start to crack my knuckles. Then, I crack my neck. Then my wrists, and so on and so forth. I keep on cracking stuff until someone finally stops me or says something like "Good God, man! Will you stop it already?!"

I also catch myself swearing under my breath.

xD. That made me giggle ;p. Dunno why.

Whenever I get nervous, the first thing I usually do is take some deep breaths. Usually by doing that, I can let out my emotions a little, and feel slightly less stressed. I can also be a nervous pee-er like you. tongue.png So I always make sure I can take a stop at the bathroom before something nerve-wracking occurs. tongue.png

I also tend to pace a lot too.

Yeah, thats true.

Haha, well its nice to know i'm not the only one ;p. And yeah i dunno why it happens,  but my nerves make me need to pee suddenly. 

i usually try to avoid water to much before doing something when i'm nervous, but it doesn't help really ;p, besides maybe making it so I only go to the bathroom like 3 times instead of 6 ;p. 

Sometimes i just think I need to and end up not actually having to. Weird nerves.

I go to the bathroom if i can regardless, because being nervous already I don't want to add being nervous that I may embarrass myself by wetting my pants to the list of worries. ;p. Better safe then sorry.

Yeah, pacing dunno why i do that either ;p.

Ah my left leg shakes like crazy... its like my leg wants to run as fast as it can... but my right leg wants to just stay there.. its like half my body wants to run like hell but the other half is like suck It up..

Ah if I'm really nervous, my whole body shakes... and I have to drink a lot!

I shake my legs alot just normally, dunno why ;p.

Your whole body shakes? Mine only does that when i'm cold ;p. 

And thankfully i don't drink a whole ton normally when nervous, or my nervous peeing could be even more frequent ;p. 

Although i imagine it'd still lead to you going to the bathroom ;p, but hopefully not like 3 times in a span of 30 minutes like me ;p.

I usually tense up and start pacing. I might start fidgeting or tapping. If I'm in a social setting, I hide, and if I have to present something to a group, I keep my hands together to keep from fidgeting. I also catch myself talking louder and louder. Sometimes just stopping and taking a deep breath is all I need to do.

I tense up sometimes, depending. 

And i tap on stuff to. Although i do that when bored sometimes.

I don't really hide though, not many places to hide anyways ;p. 

I normally fidget anyways, i can't stop it normally. 

And i tend to talk quieter if anything. But yeah ;p.

And a deep breath does tend to help.

I bite my nails and shake my knees back and forth or tap my toes.  (Though i seem to do the second all the time, I'm still saying it's a nervous habit. )  These don't hurt anyone, so I don't bother trying to correct them.

I shake my knees alot just when bored ;p. So yeah i relate. I do it regardless. 

And yeah its fine, i mean you can't correct some habits anyways, but its not really that bad. 

Some things are just stuff your body does which you can't really correct unless your simply not nervous. Like my nervous peeing thing ;p.

• Brohoof 3

Although I do this when I'm calm as well, when nervous I being to play with and tousle my hair much more than I normally do.

It's a bad habit that I want to break, because it makes my hair fall out. Maybe if I just got a haircut I'd stop doing it as much.

• Brohoof 1

Although I do this when I'm calm as well, when nervous I being to play with and tousle my hair much more than I normally do.

It's a bad habit that I want to break, because it makes my hair fall out. Maybe if I just got a haircut I'd stop doing it as much.

I fiddle with my hair alot to, I even curl it up and un curl it ;p. And my hair is naturally curly to.

Mine grows so fast so yeah ;p. not an issue really.

Haha yeah, I start acting like i'm a drummer, even if i'm a trumpet player, or i'll tap my part.

My stomach starts to ache sometimes to, depending on the intensity of nervousness.

Yeah haha, thats awesome.

And especially since i have a part in a trumpet trio we have in the show i'm especially nervous. And its much harder to take full breaths when nervous :/.

Music is relaxing to listen to yeah. If i don't have any i just breath deeply

Lol, when I am holding my trumpet and I'm nervous, I've found that I finger the scale up and down repeatedly. :)

Ah, I remember when we had this trumpet quartet that played the Star Spangled Banner. It was only one game, but I was in it, and I was slowly dying inside from the nervousness and consequent stomachache. :lol: Everything went well thankfully. :D

When I don't have music to listen to, I just try to think about anything other than the task at hand. :P

• Brohoof 1

I explode into redness. My ears go supppper hot. You can fry eggs on those damn things.(ofc i hear comments abt them...) My brain thinks of every possible outcome depending on the situation. I talk wayy to fast,  skip words. And my left leg ONLY MY LEFT LEG starts bouncing and shaking. I try to get out of the situation ASAP.

Not sure why, but i pinch myself really hard

Edited by Sir. Rayray
  • Brohoof 3

Depends on the situation, really.

In most cases, I tend to make my eyes huge, and stretch out my arms Carrie-esque, sometimes on purpose; the posture calms me in a way.

When it comes to my huge crush, though, my instincts take over and I just run.

Ruuuunnn

• Brohoof 1

When I feel nervous I usually ignore the outside world, start thinking a lot. Over thinking stuff and what usually gives it a way is that my eyes are wide open and I start scratching, I scratch my hair and skin. Constantly look at the watch, also I take my watch off and put it back on I repeat this a lot. I start doing stuff like cleaning my watch, then I begin scratching again. I often start cleaning my nails, it's a lot of stuff happening all at once I start walking around, like in a circle. While doing most of this at the same time, then as I snap out of it I'm less nervous.

I also sometimes start cleaning my glasses if I have them on. I do a lot of things, I guess it can look a little weird. I'm often nervous and when I am I usually do all of the things mentioned.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 3

I shake my leg, my heart rapidly beats, and I sweat. I sweat really easily, but it happens when I get REALLY nervous.

Occasionally eat my own fingernails.

I realize how disgusting it is.

• Brohoof 1