Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's to like about Friendship is Witchcraft?

Captain Brony (MG11)

Lets face it, if you watch pony youtubers as much as I do you know that most Brony reviewers really don't like Friendship is Witchcraft. Each reviewer supplied a good number of reasons why they disliked it ( be it reasonable or not). Most wondered why people even liked it and why it has a big fan following.

I personally like the show, but as I thought about it I asked myself why exactly do I like it?

I could only find a few answers:

•In my pre-teen through teenage years I spent a lot of my time watching flash videos on websites like Newgrounds that hosted endless amounts of parody works. I can find easy humor in most anything now because most parody humor is non-sensical. I admire what I call "chaotic humor," which could be described as humor based on the rediculousness of the situation. And is sometimes even funnier when the situation is made even more chaotic.

•I can also say I like the show for it's music, high quality visuals, and voice acting. While iffy in rare instances the sound quality is generally good.

(And a response to some reviewers)

Some say the humor isn't funny because it doesn't fit into some imaginary jurisdiction that the reviewer sets a standard for. In my experience with parodies the humor has no rules. You can parody whatever you want and still find it funny. Just because it didnt fit into your imaginary rules does not make it humorless, you're just overanalyzing it and setting false standards that ultimately ruin your own experience. (Like I did to myself with Iron Man 3)

The final question:

So thanks to reviewers we all know what'a wrong with Friendship is Witchcraft, but this fanwork has a significant following so it must be doing something right.

What do you like about Friendship is Witchcraft?

What makes it good specifically?

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)
  • Brohoof 1

Meh, i think the reviewers are just being to analytical about it, i don't think its something you can enjoy from an analytical standpoint.

I just like the random humor, which is even sometimes messed up, but still abit guilty funny.

I also just like seeing parodies and stuff, its just funny, all the new random voices, random scenarios, I just like randomness ;p.

Not to mention the characters stay pretty consistent overall to an extent episode to episode. 

Theres also the extremely catchy tunes they play, and then sing a really messed up song along with it, its just.... oddly charming?

Idk, frankly idk why exactly i like it, i just do, and thats enough for me ;p. What a reviewer thinks really doesn't matter to me, what matters to me is that i enjoy it ;p.

Maybe my easily entertained ways are just a part of it, doesn't normally take a ton to entertain me frankly, so idk.

• Brohoof 1

You could like the show for it's humor, and anything else that it has to offer or at least the songs. Other than that, I don't feel that a parody like FiW has anything else that can hold it's standards up.

I liked the music, and Sweetie-Bot as well a few of jokes. I pretty much gave up on it after how horrible the abridging of the wedding episodes were though. On top of the unfunny incest joke driving the plot I thought the way they wrote around having to do anything with Chrysalis and the Changelings was really lazy. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah I noticed most brony reviewers seem to not like it.
As for me Friendship is witchcraft can be hit or miss
Some jokes can be kind of funny but some are just mean spirited (seriously they overuse the whole be mean to spike gag to the point where I end of feeling sorry for him)

I will say though, the songs are extremely catchy enough for me to download on to my ipod (first time I heard gypsy bard it wouldn't leave my head all day)

I liked the music, and Sweetie-Bot as well a few of jokes. I pretty much have up on it after how horrible the abridging of the wedding episodes were though. On top of the unfunny incest joke driving the plot I though the way they wrote around having to do anything with Chrysalis and the Changelings was really lazy. 

I had been looking forward to what kind of wacky satirical twist he would put on Queen Chrysalis, actually

• Brohoof 1

well,

I'm assuming your talking about the voice of reason.  I've long since considered him the sour puss of the reviewing community.  But than again he gave the season premiere a perfect score.

There's alot of bad things with friend ship is witch craft. 

But i'm gonna mention 10 (or close to 10 good things about the show) i like.

I love cult leader flutter shy.  I love saying cult leader flutter shy.

Sweetie bot.

Their take on babs seed was alot fun.

Their take on that sappy sad original snow episode was awesome.

Pinkie pie is still pinkie pie.

twilight does fan fiction.

and i ran out of reasons.

I haven't watched the actual show, and I'm not interested in watching FiW either. But the Gypsy Bard/Pinkie's Brew are REALLY catchy and good songs, good enough for me to go through the mess of download -> put on my MP3 -> listen.

Not many songs and pieces go all that far, I really like those songs. The parts I have seen of the actual show seems like, meh.

I haven't watched the actual show, and I'm not interested in watching FiW either. But the Gypsy Bard/Pinkie's Brew are REALLY catchy and good songs, good enough for me to go through the mess of download -> put on my MP3 -> listen.

Not many songs and pieces go all that far, I really like those songs. The parts I have seen of the actual show seems like, meh.

they totally are.  watch supernatural is comarodity

What's to like about Friendship Is Witchcraft? Three main things.

1. It's naturally funny and well thought-out. The characters personalities in Friendship Is Witchcraft have been edited to make them twisted and loony and the humor arises naturally out of their interactions and dialogue. Which is how its supposed to be. Worn-out memes and whatnot have no place in a parody like this. It appeals to our higher forms of humor.

2. The main voice actress, Jenny Nicholson, can do really accurate impressions of the characters, especially noteworthy since they have very different voices. Her voices for Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie are cute and pleasant to hear.

3. Despite the fact that there's a joke almost every few seconds, it's rarely overwhelming and it doesn't feel like the creators are egotistical attention-seekers (Which is why I don't watch videos by people like JonTron, EgoRaptor and PewDiePie). It keeps its ego restrained.

Another thing, which is more minor but still worth mentioning, is that each parody episode manages to create its own original storyline (i.e. Episode 2, where Twilight forces Rarity and Applejack to act out a fanfiction she wrote about them).

My favorite moment in the whole series is in Episode 4, "Cute From The Hip", when Snails eats a massive piece of cake and Diamond Tiara yells at him: "Cakey is MY best friend! *I* get to decide when she dies!"...as well as EVERY SINGLE THING Silver Spoon says.

Two brohoofs up.

• Brohoof 1

If you watch the CBD podcast, a lot of them actually don't like it.

I don't think digi likes it either but he's friends with the people who do the show and i think he feels obligated to give the show the rub so to speak.

My enjoyment from FiW first off comes from the production of it.

For the most part it is well done as a parody series. Aside from that I take the series almost as a "What-If Adult Swim did MLP" and in that case it's just really enjoyable with all the jokes and everything else. Also of course the music is top notch. I do want to add though that most of the negative viewers indeed seem to try and take the show to serious it seems.

I don't think digi likes it either but he's friends with the people who do the show and i think he feels obligated to give the show the rub so to speak.

That and he's pretty much the popular opinion guy with Bronycurious in close second to Digi.

I don't think it needs a "rub" but it definitely deserves credit where credit is due.

It's often bashed and taken more seriously than it needs to be.

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)

I dunno about most of them disliking FiW, in my experience it's been the opposite.
Are you talking about youtubers in general, people who do reaction videos, or people actually trying to seriously analyze and review the series?
Disctinctions are important, because there are certainly lots of popular youtubers in the reaction category that like it.

I've seen plenty of them get enjoyment out of the series,

including Soundspeed, Ratchetness, Cobaltsky, RainbowBrony/MetalCoreBrony, Alex Side, TheBigRob729,

EquestriasReflection (Which always has at least 5 people in the room!), Shad Shadington, Black8feet, and several more.

I find it funny how you say "if you watch pony youtubers as much as I do", when a lot of the roster i'm subscribed to either love or somewhat like the series.

Like i said, maybe we follow two entirely different categories of youtubers?

Oh, and for the record... FiW hasn't aged that well for me. Not so keen on it anymore.
I don't re-watch episodes anymore unless i'm looking for reaction videos.

I find the 'Ultra Fast Pony' series to be the funnier (and criminally underrated) one, while Mentally Advanced Series is my personal favourite for reasons involving the

sharp dialogue and great character designs, which later evolved into the excellent 'Rainbow Dash Presents' videos.

I love the show because of its characters, places, and lessons. I also love the show because of all the warm and cheery colors used in the show's design. I've also watched the older generation's Rainbow Dash and MLP:FIM Rainbow Dash. Older generation was more like Rarity in MLP:FIM.

I love the show and I'm 19! It's a parody it's really not supposed to be taken seriously. I love the characters, Lord Smooze, Pinkie the Witch and the songs! Maybe because I have my own parody is why I love it so gosh darn much, but yeah, I'll probably never get tired of it. Ever. O.O

Disctinctions are important, because there are certainly lots of popular youtubers in the reaction category

I specified Reviewers immediately after I mentioned youtubers. So Im sure I was partially distinct.

To clarify I mean reviewers who do critically review material. (Much of the CBD cast and others.)

I have to say though I'm not 100% sure CBD dislike it only because a lot of the time the whole group becomes a "Yes club" when one or two say they don't like something. (With a few exceptions to this rule due to some differences in opinion)

That and he's pretty much the popular opinion guy with Bronycurious in close second to Digi.

I don't think it needs a "rub" but it definitely deserves credit where credit is due.

It's often bashed and taken more seriously than it needs to be.

it helps.

I like some episodes of FIW.....

others.. not so much.

LIke their version of luna eclipsed i couldn't finish.  and i'm not a die hard luna fan lol.  I was like "Oh dude their calling her princess molestial this is gonna be comedy gold."

hmmm not so much.

and taken more seriously than it needs to be covers the whole idea about ponies and friend ship and by definition is a cheap cop out.

one could argue george clooney bat man is on equal footing (and clooney does)

with the recent stuff because after all it's a movie based on a comic book,

and doesn't have to be taken that seriously.

But if you need something more on target,

parodity movies themselves.

you could say "meet the spartins" under the "doesn't have to be taken seriously" had free rain to suck.

Parodity is suppose to be enjoyable.   Not just ironically pretentious.

Their version of a canterlot wedding was... just painful.  I can take incest humor.  I read sexy losers online.  (web comic with that kind off beat humor).

there's a right way to do practically everything,

even when it's really wrong.

I DID LIKE their babs seeds episode.

Edited by FNGRpony

OMG the random humor is by FAR the best thing about Friendship is Witchcraft. Also something good about it is knowing what happens and seeing them turning it into a different scene.