NavelColt

S04:E04 - Daring Don't  

425 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Yeah, this episode was definitely a bit more violent than usual, they must really be pushing to keep a Y rating because I thought this one could have easily been Y7. :huh:

And oh yeah, a rating. I would give this one an 8/10 personally.

I agree. It is the weakest of the season, but that said, it isn't very weak.

• Brohoof 1

I understand how you were irked by part of Daring Do's portrayal and the initial reactions of the mane six, but I think your missing some things that cause it to make more sense.  

When they were standing there watching her fight the thugs the primary reason they didn't step in was due to the fact that since she was actually Daring Do she was more then capable of handling it herself.  It's an assumption they made yes, but one that makes sense given what they know about her.  In fact she would have actually won if it weren't for RD distracting her. (Although I do have to say for someone who's been battling countless enemies all her life she sure is pretty easily distracted.)

RD's lack of action was based off her nerves getting the best of her.  They set up early in the Ep that simply thinking about the book coming out in a few months was enough to cause her to become clumsy.  Throw in meeting her hero in person, and being partly responsible for her being defeated several times, and you have a nervous wreak.  I'd also like to point out that this is not the first time this has happened to RD.  In the sonic Rainboom Ep the thought of blowing it in front of her idol's made not even want to compete, and when she did she could barely fly at first. 

It's true that Daring Do being a loner doesn't fit with Indian Jones, but they are not the same character and Daring Do has her own reasons to not work with people, and that reason is her books.  Daring Do avoids working with people to lower the chance that some one will spill the fact that A. K. Yearling and Daring Do are the same.  Having this made public could have a lot of ramifications.  The biggest of which being that it makes her more vulnerable to attack.  A. K. Yearling acts as a secret identity for her, if that gets blow it would put her and her family (If she has one.) in danger.  It would also prevent her form living a normal life.

Although I do have to agree that it's a little weird that Princess Celestia and Luna don't know about her.  Daring Do's adventurers usually take place in the middle of nowhere though and Celestia isn't all knowing, so maybe it's possible she's gone under the radar, it's a stretch but it's possible. 

I'll concede some of your points to an extent.  I suppose it is possible that they assumed Daring Do could handle herself, but still, just as it's perfectly natural for Daring Do to switch into hero mode, I felt like the same could be the said for the Mane 6 at this point, so I still feel that it was quite OOC for them to just stand there, even if they felt somepony could handle themselves on their own.

I DO recognize completely that Rainbow Dash has had insecurity issues in the past, rather deep-seated ones actually, and I could even tell that that's what the writers were going for here.  The reason that I still didn't buy it is because I feel like RD's made enough character progression at this point that she should've overcome those for the most part.  I mean, heck, that's what "Sonic Rainboom", as you yourself mentioned, was all about, RD overcoming her insecurity issues.  So yeah, no denying that RD's had trouble with insecurity in the past, but besides the fact that her mind got totally blown with the knowledge that Daring Do is actually real, I just didn't see why she would be spazzing out this much out of insecurity in Season 4 after everything she's gone through already.  Maybe I wouldn't have had so much of an issue with this portrayal in Seasons 1 or 2, but here, IDK, just didn't feel right.

Finally, I COMPLETELY understand what you're saying about Daring Do NOT being Indiana Jones, and thus the writers can be pretty liberal with her characterization as a loner, and to be fair, I should have mentioned that in my review.  Still, like you said in conceding with my points, I think it's just really, really bizarre that she doesn't so much as keep Celestia in the loop about the threats to the world that she's constantly thwarting!  ^_^

So yeah, you made some good points for sure, but personally I still am sticking to most of what I wrote in my review.  It was a good episode, but it was a good episode that had all the tools to be a great episode, but in the end, simply wasn't on account of sloppy execution, at least in my opinion.  Thank you for raising those points though.  :)

I thought there would be a lot more hate for this episode especially after reading JJ's deviantART entry, but no, I was wrong. And I took this episode plot the wrong way too! 

SURPRISE! J.K Rowling horse is really a real Daring Do!

Rainbow_Dash_and_A.K._Yearling_S4E04.png

This episode was GREAT! Rainbow Dash fan-girling and being a screw-up was definitely different, but a satisfying and appreciative different. I really wish Twilight flew in the episode, though... for goodness sake, she has wings now, writers! And a episode clearly spotlighting two pegasi? That's just sad. 

I think they changed Daring Do's voice, don'tcha think? It definitely sounds more sassafras and deeper.

But as the episode concluded with them being real, it means all the villains in those stories are also real, I wonder why they don't bother ponies but seem to live in their own little worlds. I would stop here by saying that the episode is average.

The ponies probably do live in self-contained valleys where the only things worth trading are ideas and the occasional plant.  Just because humans have developed a complex international dependency doesn't mean that the ponies have done the same. 

The Crystal Empire probably doesn't care about Canterlot, except that the current rulers came from there and the current generation probably feels grateful.  Other than the Crystal Empire, individual communities probably don't care what happens to each other except for a lost cultural experience.

I'll concede some of your points to an extent.  I suppose it is possible that they assumed Daring Do could handle herself, but still, just as it's perfectly natural for Daring Do to switch into hero mode, I felt like the same could be the said for the Mane 6 at this point, so I still feel that it was quite OOC for them to just stand there, even if they felt somepony could handle themselves on their own.

I DO recognize completely that Rainbow Dash has had insecurity issues in the past, rather deep-seated ones actually, and I could even tell that that's what the writers were going for here.  The reason that I still didn't buy it is because I feel like RD's made enough character progression at this point that she should've overcome those for the most part.  I mean, heck, that's what "Sonic Rainboom", as you yourself mentioned, was all about, RD overcoming her insecurity issues.  So yeah, no denying that RD's had trouble with insecurity in the past, but besides the fact that her mind got totally blown with the knowledge that Daring Do is actually real, I just didn't see why she would be spazzing out this much out of insecurity in Season 4 after everything she's gone through already.  Maybe I wouldn't have had so much of an issue with this portrayal in Seasons 1 or 2, but here, IDK, just didn't feel right.

Finally, I COMPLETELY understand what you're saying about Daring Do NOT being Indiana Jones, and thus the writers can be pretty liberal with her characterization as a loner, and to be fair, I should have mentioned that in my review.  Still, like you said in conceding with my points, I think it's just really, really bizarre that she doesn't so much as keep Celestia in the loop about the threats to the world that she's constantly thwarting!  ^_^

So yeah, you made some good points for sure, but personally I still am sticking to most of what I wrote in my review.  It was a good episode, but it was a good episode that had all the tools to be a great episode, but in the end, simply wasn't on account of sloppy execution, at least in my opinion.  Thank you for raising those points though.  :)

Just because Celestia wasn't mentioned, doesn't mean she isn't aware of it. Maybe Celestia does know, and Daring Do is working in secret to keep any outside threats in check. Or maybe Celestia's just turning a blind eye to it because it means free border control. :P

So the next time has to have Daring Do die, Rainbow Dash unable to handle the loss tries some scheme to raise her from the dead. Fluttershy has a cursed Pet Cemetery in the woods.

No the next one has to have her team up with her father, who happens to look like an aged Con Mane.

Either that it she climbs into a fridge to survive a Sonic Rainboom.

• Brohoof 1

Is no one going to touch on the fact that they could have switched places at any point, RD and Daring's character models are exactly the same. They could go as each other for nightmare night even. Old news I know, but since it's a Daring Do/Rainbow Dash episode I thought I'd mention it and remind everyone.

I really liked this episode! I think my favorite scene was when Twilight and RD were discussing DD lore as Daring Do fought those bandits. I also like the new diary system, instead of sending letters to Celestia. S4 has been off to a really good start and I hope that it stays that way.

Also Rainbow Dash x Daring Do.

Looks like I am the only one who thought this was RD's SAYS episode. Rainbow Dash was way out of character and the Mane 6 were also way out of character. They should have helped DD right at the beginning -- just watching her get knocked around and the ring taken -- sheesh. That and RD is not capable of that level of incompetence. Only the last 4 minutes were okay, that and Fluttershy.

2.5/10.

I'm with you to an extent in that Dash was annoyingly incompetent for a good chunk of this episode. The fangirling was in character, but when she started actively screwing things up for Daring Do, it got a little embarrassing.

• Brohoof 2

As I'm in the middle of juggling between writing a review for Series 17 of Thomas & Friends and developing notes for a Railway Series/Thomas & Friends fanfic adaptation of FIM, my review won't be so long.

What I liked:

1. The nerdy moment Twilight and Dash had as they explained various moments and scenes of the Daring Do canon cracked me up (and Pinkie following it clearly was a clever touch). As an out nerd, I've been on both ends of the spectrum (in in graphic design and FL9 diesels, out in bus specifications). Funny, yet extremely relatable. Best moment in the episode and so in character of them both.
  2. Dash fangirling Daring Do was something I could really see her do. Since Read It and Weep, you could tell how close Dash was paying attention to the series as well as all of the details surrounding the DD canon. The little winks of her knowledge and fanaticism from Spike at Your Service were quite nice and reflected the continuity of the series.
  3. Twilight actually uses her teleportation spell. Must be a holiday today. :P
  4. Another nice wink of the Indiana Jones series in the form of the Western map.
  5. It shows a connection fandom and creator has from here to others. Fandom is passionate, crazy, and wild. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. We've seen that so much in so many fandoms, namely sports fanbases like college football, baseball, ice hockey, and soccer.

Likewise, the same applies to the people who authorize the canon. Creators and writers (both official and fan) do owe their fans. Without fans, there's no fandom, no popularity, no fame, and (for the pros) no money. Rowling wouldn't have been a billionaire if Scholastic didn't entice the public and help create the gigantic Harry Potter fandom. Besides the gigantic TV revenue that's scheduled to begin in 2014 (about $1.5 billion from ESPN, TBS, and FOX altogether per year), one of the biggest reasons baseball players get millions of dollars is because fans pay a bunch of dough to sit and watch their favorite teams and players play (and if you're a market like LA; St. Louis; New York; and Boston, win).

6. "My mind is officially blown!" Obviously, Twilight. ;)
  7. I like how Fluttershy called out her friends for suggesting to help Daring Do.
  8. Great animation, and the fighting sequences had nice action, humor, and tension. The fights were fast, yet paced well, and there was plenty of foreshadowing to the climax.
  9. Conceptually, it was a breath of fresh air as far as Dash-centered episodes are concerned. While previous ones focused on her ego and sensitivity, this one focused Dash about how much she wants to put it aside and aid her idol. It was a change of pace for Dash and felt both in character and real for her.
  10. Daring teasing Ahuizotl Owee-whoever-name-is and Dash's reaction were hilarious.

What I didn't like:

1. Some parts of the episode when there was no fighting felt rather quick. Not so much to disturb the plot (and seriously, the pace here is objectively better than Keep Calm and Flutter On), but enough to miss the plot points and confuse the viewers.
  2. Dash played the fangirl too long. While she was shown a powerful lesson by inadvertently getting in Daring Do's way, she made up for it. And to be fair, she did think about what Twilight said to her as she followed her, talking back and forth about joining her idol and then doing the best she can to knock herself out cold after realizing she was behaving stupidly.
  3. Up till the end, pretty much every pony minus Pinkie was in on the action. Rarity, Fluttershy, and Applejack were background ponies for the first sixteen minutes of Daring Don't. It would've been better if Dash, Twilight, and Pinkie were the lone characters of the Mane Six in this episode.
  4. Daring Do was based on Indiana Jones, who welcomed help if needed (according to my research). While it backs up the book Dash read in RIaW (as well as her secret identity and distant location), DD, however, behaved similar to Batman and felt out of character as far as the source material is concerned.
  5. *rolls eyes at hearing the Wilhelm Scream*

Overall, impressive work. Definitely my most favorite Polsky episode and quite possibly his best one in quality.

P.S.: By the way… :lol:

I almost agree with everything here. The one thing I don't agree with is "Best Polsky episode". I still think that is "Too Many Pinkie Pies"(That one certainly has a flaw here and there, but it's still VERY good).

However, Rarity not getting to do anything on-screen in the ending fight bugged me because it was so noticeable. I guess I'll just pretend whatever she did was so bad it had to be censored. :P

• Brohoof 2

This was so amazing!

I had no idea the author was the actual character from the book! What a twist! (Directed by M. Night Shyamalan)

This apparently means that these adventures really did happen in the show!

Moving on,

The lesson about having help when you need it, is effective in this kind of episode.

Daring Do says she needed no help, but clearly needed it. Rainbow Dash then proceeds to help her. Lesson learned for her (DD).

I kinda hope that Ahuizotl becomes a recurring villain. He was thwarted by not only Daring Do, but the Mane 6 as well, he MUST have against THEM... shouldn't he?

I was super excited to watch this after coming home from work! I think I get a bit too excited over a cartoon episode...  :blush:

And some people said that Magical Mystery Cure felt like fanfiction... This is like fanfiction within a fanfiction.

I kept hoping that this was all inside Dash's head.

I kind of enjoyed it, but it's the weakest until now, in my opinion. I think it was all fine until they got to Yearling's house... Then it starts feeling like Rainbow Dash is writing the whole thing from the "Daring Do can fight 3 big predators but can't fight three normal ponies" to  "let's help her, but only after she's been beat up". And then to "she needs Rainbow's help to save the day".

Self-insert fanfiction right there. And I think that Dave Polski may have done this comparing Rainbow to the Bronies... XD

And I feel that Ahuizotl's plan doesn't make much sense, but I don't really know what exactly was involved.

Over all i had fun with a few jokes here and there, but I prefer to no see anything like this again.

EDIT: I'm lying. I did like that the writer is Daring Do herself. XD

EDIT again: Changed my mind... When Daring was more like a treasure hunter, it made sense. Now that she is saving the world, it makes me think of all the books she wrote. What? Did she do something like this episode in all other books? Talk about black-whole sue!

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 2

Is no one going to touch on the fact that they could have switched places at any point, RD and Daring's character models are exactly the same. They could go as each other for nightmare night even. Old news I know, but since it's a Daring Do/Rainbow Dash episode I thought I'd mention it and remind everyone.

I did have a moment of "oh, they reused Dash's animation," but Disney has been doing the same thing for so long that I don't think it's worth mentioning anymore.

I liked the episode, it was not the best though. RD's fangirliness really got the best of her, which was actually good in a way. Daring Do, though, is a flawed character. Quite flawed.

The place happened to be called Technochtitlan, which made me wonder.

I love the "You know I love you, but I can't give you the ring until you've properly proposed" line. Best line in the episode. Period.

Edited by Twilight Sniper

Time for the best line in the episode!

1501776_688427474514904_2082311784_n.jpg

srs bsns.

On another note, I've now calmed down, and will watch this episode again sometime later today. I'll probably be able to provide a better review on it then.

• Brohoof 7

For me it was an OK episode, though it should be probably Rainbow Dash and Twilight episode only(rest were a background)

My favourite part is new villain, but he probably will only show up with Daring Do episode and wont affect main plot with finding keys.

And of course i lol'd at scene with RD face, its the face when our favourite character say something cool, although it seem that Ahuizotl and Daring Do seem closer to each other with that many showdowns maybe DD didnt lie about loving him xD

And some ponies said that Magical Mystery Cure felt like fanfiction... This is like fanfiction within a fanfiction.

I kept hoping that this was all inside Dash's head.

I kind of enjoyed it, but it's the weakest until now, in my opinion. I think it was all fine until they got to Yearling's house... Then it starts feeling like Rainbow Dash is writing the whole thing from the "Daring Do can fight 3 big predators but can't fight three normal ponies" to  "let's help her, but only after she's been beat up". And then to "she needs Rainbow's help to save the day".

Self-insert fanfiction right there. And I think that Dave Polski may have done this comparing Rainbow to the Bronies... XD

And I feel that Ahuizotl's plan doesn't make much sense, but I don't really know what exactly was involved.

Over all i had fun with a few jokes here and there, but I prefer to no see anything like this again.

EDIT: I'm lying. I did like that the writer is Daring Do herself. XD

I agree here. Parts of the episode runs like fan fiction especially the fact that Daring Do needs help and she suddenly becomes more approachable at the end. And it gives the writer a reason for delaying that book. But I don't think there are Brony references here. Hasbro doesn't like to even acknowledge their existence.

• Brohoof 1

I agree here. Parts of the episode runs like fan fiction especially the fact that Daring Do needs help and she suddenly becomes more approachable at the end. And it gives the writer a reason for delaying that book. But I don't think there are Brony references here. Hasbro doesn't like to even acknowledge their existence.

It was a joke. Even if the staff actually cared about bronies, professional writers wouldn't let stuff like this get in the way of their jobs.

What I meant is that Dash is being the obnoxious fan that thinks that the product exist for him/her alone. (EDIT) And Dave Polsky poked fun at this.

Edited by moonlightavenger

What also hit me is that they have same character model, same color of eyes, same hair(with diffrent colors) and im starting to think they may be related somehow   :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Howdy all!

I liked the episode.

RD was all gaga about waiting foir the next Daring Do book was funny. :lol:

Twilight and Dashie talking about the past DD books was a hoot.

I felt that they announcing a WWE Wrestling match or a Boxing Match.

At first DD was a jerk but RD knew DD is not fooled by her actions.

Fun to hear Chiara Zanni as Daring Do.

See ya!