Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do some people take their love for MLP characters too far?

Scarlet Letter

Pfft, Princess Twilight Sparkle is too good for him. Way out of his league.

She's a princess, and he's just some creepo :eww:

Now that i think about it, maybe he married his twilight tulpa. That would make more sense.

Or maybe he did it just to troll the fandom (hopefully)

no, hes pretty serious, either that, or one of the most dedicated trolls i ever seen. while that's fine and good, what bothers me though is that he's a complete asshole. i browsed a couple of forums and he ended up getting into fights with the admins cause he hated that they allowed other users to post that said anything about twi, whether they didn't like her or if they had a crush on her or anything like that. he would attack other users on the forums. I've ran into others who have had the same feelings for the ponies, and they were some of the nicest people i have known.

also, don't tell him "his" twilight is a tulpa, lol.

• Brohoof 2

if things don't work out..they can always file for divorce...

so true. a divorce is just what he needs

This happens in fandoms all the time. I have had them. I have a crush on Makoto Kenzaki, who you probably aren't familiar with, feel free to look her up.  Even though that crush is nowhere near as strong as the instances you explain, the question of "why?" varies from individual-to-individual. The guy who "married" Twilight Sparkle was just one poor guy who I aren't concerned with. I really don't give a hoot about his life or anyone else like them. They'll disturb me for a minute or two, and then it's over.

This happens in fandoms all the time. I have had them. I have a crush on Makoto Kenzaki, who you probably aren't familiar with, feel free to look her up.  Even though that crush is nowhere near as strong as the instances you explain, the question of "why?" varies from individual-to-individual. The guy who "married" Twilight Sparkle was just one poor guy who I aren't concerned with. I really don't give a hoot about his life or anyone else like them. They'll disturb me for a minute or two, and then it's over.

i agree with your statement. i mean i had crushes too so yeah why not

• Brohoof 1

no, hes pretty serious, either that, or one of the most dedicated trolls i ever seen. while that's fine and good, what bothers me though is that he's a complete asshole. i browsed a couple of forums and he ended up getting into fights with the admins cause he hated that they allowed other users to post that said anything about twi, whether they didn't like her or if they had a crush on her or anything like that. he would attack other users on the forums. I've ran into others who have had the same feelings for the ponies, and they were some of the nicest people i have known.

also, don't tell him "his" twilight is a tulpa, lol.

If that's true it sounds like he has a more serious problem than I thought. Being convinced a fictional character is real and that he's married to her is one thing, attacking people who say they like her as well just for that alone is a whole 'nother level of insanity. This dude sounds like he has a serious mental disorder and needs help before he does something really bad.

IF what you said is true, that is, I'd like to see proof.

• Brohoof 2

I'm fascinated by this sort of stuff, so I actually did a bit of research on this guy a while back. To all who are asking: Yes, he is definitely real. Yes, he really did marry Twilight.

He actually has a series of writings where he explains about himself and his 'lifestyle'. Since it's borderline NSFW, I won't link to it here, but here's a summary of key points:

History

-He has had six partners and one relationship lasted seven years

-He suffered from major depression due to issues with his work and family

-He describes MLP as being the only thing which could make him feel any emotion - he would feel happy and laugh for 20 minutes, and then be forced to face reality again.

-As he came out of his depression, the first thing he felt again was love for the one who had made him so happy (namely, Twilight)

-He became obsessed with her, and slid back into depression because he couldn't be with her

-He sold his entire retro gaming/Magic the Gathering collection and bought a very large $450 custom, detailed plushie which to him really is Twilight and he treats as such

-He says that he's never been happier

His Lifestyle:

-He started off keeping his relationship in private, but after encouragement from a friend, began to 'take her out on the town'

-He takes her out to restaurants, movies, libraries, etc. It is unclear whether or not he orders food for her separately, though he did do quite elaborate stuff for Valentine's Day.

-He doesn't care what people think of him. If they ask, he will answer that she is his wife very confidently and unapologetically

-He plays Magic the Gathering with her

-He has also become interested in things which she likes

-For everyone who wonders if he... you know... ' :comeatus: ' with the plushie... he does

-He married her over Skype through the Uniting Life Church

On the Not so Sane Side:

-He briefly mentions it interfering with important things, though to what extent he is exaggerating/means I have no clue

-I've heard multiple reports of him physically threatening people over Twilight

Unlike some, I honestly have no problem with him having this lifestyle provided that his family is not harmed. However, if he's threatening people and it interferes with normal functioning, then it needs to be cut back to a sustainable level.

• Brohoof 2

Even if it is boogus, people do what they want ^_^ I've seen some pretty messed up stuff in my life so this is no different. 

Just let the guy live his life, whether he's "married" to a fictional character or this is just a troll, doesn't matter. Just let him live his life, if he's happy so be it :)

Is this guy [who claims to have married Twilight Sparkle] crazy?

This matters to us, why?

Do you support his love for Twi?

See above.

Would you do the same thing?

No. Even if I did, wouldn't that make it my problem?

Do you think the guy is just a troll?

Again, does it matter?

I want honest opinions.

Do some people take their love for MLP characters too far?

Yup. Unhealthy obsessions and all that. This fandom of ours doesn't screen for mental illnesses so of course some turn out to be susceptible to getting unhealthy obsessions ("unhealthy obsessions" is a redundant term since the word "obsession" already implies an unhealthy fixation). But let's be definitively clear about one thing here; do not confuse the symptom for the disease. That's right, people who genuinely have an obsession are people who are unhealthy to begin with. Such a person could have just as easily become a drug addict, alcoholic, shopaholic, food addict or a workaholic.

Speaking of workaholism, if you have to choose an addiction in the face of society, definitely pick that one. Now that slavery isn't a thing anymore, you'll gain that much more respect if you voluntarily work yourself to death. Because let me tell you something, if this guy is a workaholic who volunteers to work to the extent of breaching his physical limits and goes on relentlessly until his body gives out, there will be obituaries written to him like he was some kind of hero.

Edited by SunBurn
  • Brohoof 1

Yes yes yes and yes 

There some out there who take this show way to seriously to a point where it crosses the lines of out right disturbing. It is awesome to have a favorite character but to do some of the stuff I have seen from a slight few in the fandom is quite creepy in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

If that's true it sounds like he has a more serious problem than I thought. Being convinced a fictional character is real and that he's married to her is one thing, attacking people who say they like her as well just for that alone is a whole 'nother level of insanity. This dude sounds like he has a serious mental disorder and needs help before he does something really bad.

IF what you said is true, that is, I'd like to see proof.

well in the incident I'm most familiar with, he was a regular member on another forum, then left over a comment that another user said about twi. wrote a thread announcing his leaving. well, many of the members went to say their goodbyes and such. one of the members left a post expressing their sympathy for him. well, he returned (several months later) and out of nowhere slammed the user who sympathized with him, (who had a twilight avatar and admitted in another post to have a crush on twi) as well as most of the users on there slamming users who liked twi, and the admins for allowing that to happen. this didn't sit too well with anyone and the many of the users were understandably pissed. after that, the admins banned him and locked the thread. that's all I'm gonna say on it, outta respect and privacy for the sites members.

well in the incident I'm most familiar with, he was a regular member on another forum, then left over a comment that another user said about twi. wrote a thread announcing his leaving. well, many of the members went to say their goodbyes and such. one of the members left a post expressing their sympathy for him. well, he returned (several months later) and out of nowhere slammed the user who sympathized with him, (who had a twilight avatar and admitted in another post to have a crush on twi) as well as most of the users on there slamming users who liked twi, and the admins for allowing that to happen. this didn't sit too well with anyone and the many of the users were understandably pissed. after that, the admins banned him and locked the thread. that's all I'm gonna say on it, outta respect and privacy for the sites members.

A sudden mental breakdown I suppose, for who-knows-why.

to be honest, i don't usually have any problem with people like this, but if you attack others over it, then it becomes a problem. of course, I'm fine with just about anything, so long as you don't hurt others for what they like or shoving your thing down people's throats. :pinkiesmile:

I honestly don't see a problem with it. People go to far with different topics a lot. Take some anime fans for example. Is it socially acceptable no, but as long as it isn't pushed into my orbital area and not hurting anyone I don't mind.

Whatever floats your boat I guess, personally I find it strange that people fall in love with characters / the whole Waifu thing I don't really get it :P  I see nothing wrong with experiencing love or such emotions in roleplays though :) 

I find it ironic that this guy can marry a plush pony and yet gays marrying is what violates the sanctity of marriage. Lol, logic. (For the record, I'm not trying to debate anti-gay marriage people. Don't wanna open tht can of worms here)

That being said, just let the guy live his life. Is it strange? Abso-friggin-lutely, but am I gonna judge the guy? Nah. He's happy, let him be happy. Long as he ain't hurting anyone, then it's fine with me.

My thing is, if you like this character so much, wouldn't that motivate you to get out and try to find a girl like Twi? For instance, I have a major crush not on Dashie, herself, but on her personality. Now, I for one, am not attracted to horses of the real or fictional variety, so I try to find a cool girl with RD like qualities. Makes sense right?

• Brohoof 1

A sudden mental breakdown I suppose, for who-knows-why.

I know I saw at least one screen-capped note where he spoke to an "adult" artist and pleaded with them the same way you would about a real, living, breathing person being exploited. That right there proves he has some issues to work out. 

As someone said earlier though, he obviously already some mental instability and probably would have shown in some other way if he didn't develop that fixation on Twilight. We can at least be glad his obsessive tendencies are being fulfilled in a way that's not really doing him or anyone else harm if nothing else.     

I find it ironic that this guy can marry a plush pony and yet gays marrying is what violates the sanctity of marriage. Lol, logic. (For the record, I'm not trying to debate anti-gay marriage people. Don't wanna open tht can of worms here)

That being said, just let the guy live his life. Is it strange? Abso-friggin-lutely, but am I gonna judge the guy? Nah. He's happy, let him be happy. Long as he ain't hurting anyone, then it's fine with me.

My thing is, if you like this character so much, wouldn't that motivate you to get out and try to find a girl like Twi? For instance, I have a major crush not on Dashie, herself, but on her personality. Now, I for one, am not attracted to horses of the real or fictional variety, so I try to find a cool girl with RD like qualities. Makes sense right?

Dear God, I wish I was as much of a idealistic optimist as you. I commend that attitude. 

rarity_is_adorable__i_love_rarity__raritI claim this wittle pony as my waifu all the time, dammit :D

Yeahh, and I'll say I've got a bit of thing for her.

Lemme just make it clear that it ain't like Jin15, though; it's fun, not reality. I'm not going to marry a plushie of Rarity, I'm not going to let it interfere with my still-unborn dating life; it's something that makes me happy, but not something that controls my life.

Honestly, it's like having a crush on a celebrity or something; you look at their pictures, you think they're attractive, fanboy/girl over them, but dammit, do you think it's real? No :D

That's probably the case with most people who call waifu on a pony, honestly; it isn't something we expect to be real and it isn't something we're gonna go out and make real, but it'd be a lie if we said we didn't have a bit of a thing for them :D

Just as long as it doesn't get on the level of that one dude (which is too far anyway you look at it, but it'd honestly be fine in my eyes if it didn't create so many problems for the fandom, both inside and out.) then it's all good.

Cartoon crushes ain't nothin' new, and there ain't nothin' wrong with it as long as you don't create problems for others.

Edited by Champion gfk39
  • Brohoof 2

I would not be surprised if that was a true story because it's nothing new...

People marry/love lots of strange things from walls to AI's

Yes.

I've met jin he's really nice but still a nutter on a forum. he really is the guy who sent that letter to kevinsano.  he has a twilight plushie and he makes it move(if your twilight is real why can't she move on her own?) and does dirty things to it. he says that twilight is real and talks to him. im certain he has an invisible tulpa talking to him at the back of his head(he'll probably get angry when you mention this to him). i've had waifus but they are temporary but that guy takes it to the extreme.

Edited by yayfluttershay