Yellow Diamond

S04:E09 - Pinkie Apple Pie  

338 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I quite enjoyed the episode and will add it to the list to watch again. Although pinkie was occasionally annoying at times with all her excitement but I guess she is just being a pinkie pie. This is great as it bears a resemblance to a real life road trip with all the arguing. Lol Crazy cat lady made me laugh. Would have commented sooner but I fell asleep straight after it had finished. ;)

• Brohoof 1

This was my favorite episode of the season so far, and I would even go as far as to say it's the best episode of the series, barring the two-parters. I loved the photo-snapping antics of Pinkie Pie, the catchy song (Most of the songs in season 3 and 4 haven't been particularly memorable. Cool, but not sing-a-longy), many gag moments, Apple Bloom's little song/dance/act of clumsiness, the crazy cat mare, and just about everything in the episode.

In case you didn't notice, this was the series' first episode from the new writer Natasha Levinger.

Thanks to this episode (and the last), I'm pretty hopeful about the show's future again! Yay, ponies! :D

• Brohoof 1

In case anyone had not noticed, I'm saying that it is true, that Pinky IS related to the Apples, CAUSE...

It may be only a smudge on the paper, but if we look at the actions of both Pinky Pie and Golden D,

GD had Pinky Pies mane and used the same method of getting the book as PP got the scroll...

By the way... has anyone questioned... WHY?.... or more importantly.... WHO? Twilight was looking up originally???

Oh wow! I didn't notice that! The episode was just too good to fully capture all of that detail.

In addition, Golden also got a number of pictures of the family up on the wall, while in the same episode Pinkie was taking pictures left right of the Apples as well.

I wish we get to see Pinkie's immediate family though. Wanna know what's going down at that rock farm  :eww:

The ep wasn't THAT bad. I mean, while a lot of people loved it, I didn't really like it that much. The song wasn't too bad, the jokes were quite good, but it focused around AJ's family, which has been the only real focused family so far. Other than that, these moments were just gold. The faces. Gold.

post-21086-0-49630800-1389510531_thumb.jpg

Granny Smith and the rest of the Apples just witnessed the dark side of the Internet: R34

post-21086-0-43916700-1389510549_thumb.jpg

Dat Granny face.

EDIT: I just noticed that the watermark changes halfway through from "New Episode" to "New Show." Nice job Hub, nice job.

Edited by RaptorJesus

Pinkie Pie: So what you're saying is if I have the courage to jump, the parachute will open.

Big McIntosh: Eeyup.

Pinkie Pie: Wow, that's deep.

Big McIntosh: Eeyup.

Apple family: [arguing]

Pinkie Pie: [to the viewers] Look at me! I'm part of the Apple family too! I'm arguing! Argue, argue, argue! Bicker, bicker! [laughs]

Best lines ever!!!

• Brohoof 1

One of the big issues I have with this episode is that I don't think the central question of whether Pinkie is distantly related (i.e. a fourth cousin twice removed) to the Apple family is ultimately all that interesting. Consequently, during both the excitement everyone has about the possibility that Pinkie is a member of the Apple family and all the troubles they undergo to find out for sure, I couldn't help wondering why they care that much or whether all the excitement and trouble is really worth it. To me, if Pinkie is distantly related to the Apple family, that would really just be a random factoid that might occasionally be brought up in conversation. I don't see why it should affect Pinkie's already-existing day-to-day relationships with Applejack, Apple Bloom, Big Mac, and Granny Smith.

This is also why it doesn't make much sense to me that various members of the Apple family (and Pinkie herself) talk about how great it is that Pinkie is "an Apple" and will be part of "the Apple family" but then refer to their immediate family (e.g. Apple Bloom being excited about having another "sister" and Applejack extolling the virtues of Apple Bloom, Big Mac, Granny Smith, and herself) even though, at best, Pinkie would be very extended family. Does anyone there think Pinkie is about to move in with them, start doing farm chores, etc.?

On a somewhat related note, it seems a bit strange just how many times the Apple family (and even Pinkie) says how great the Apple family is, and how the Apple family feels the need to display their greatness to Pinkie and everyone else. Why does the Apple family need to reassure themselves of their own greatness while also being so self-conscious about their image to others? Do they have some reputation as an awesome family that they feel obligated to believe in and uphold? If so, how did they acquire this reputation, especially if they now have to plan and work at maintaining it, rather than it just coming naturally?

One thing that's never really made clear in the episode is how big the trip to Goldie Delicious's house is, i.e., how far away her house is from Ponyville and how long they stay there. This has a few implications in the episode that are unclear. When the Apple family's wagon breaks down, how far are they from getting help at the nearest house or town? Was constructing a boat necessary if help was relatively close by? Is this a multi-day trip? If so, how does that square with Applejack's statement that Goldie Delicious doesn't live all that far away? If the trip is so long and requires bringing so much stuff, how is it worth it to make the trip just to find out if Pinkie is the Apple family's fourth cousin twice removed?

Also, the Apple family brings a mountain of various things, which of course causes them plenty of problems, but how necessary were all of those things? Did they even stay at Goldie Delicious's house for any significant amount of time after they didn't get the answer to their burning question? If so, where did they stay among the heaps of junk in her house? Apparently, regardless of the length of the trip or their stay, the mountain of stuff wasn't that important, since they lost a significant part of it just on the way to Goldie Delicious's house, yet they managed to survive their trip and stay. Furthermore, they leave Goldie Delicious's house with NONE of their original things, yet are able to make the trip back home.

As a side note, everyone except Big Mac are wearing life jackets in the boat. Why did the Apple family bring a bunch of life jackets on their trip to Goldie Delicious's house? Were they expecting to cross deep water on the path there? Were they planning on doing some recreational activity that would require life jackets while staying at Goldie Delicious's house?

Pinkie had her share of zany antics and (willful?) ignorance of the tension and awkwardness among the Apple family, and some of that was a little more tolerable in this episode, but the opening scene was one example of Pinkie being frustrating and annoying. Twilight naturally doesn't expect anyone to be behind the books on her bookshelf, and so Twilight understandably screams in surprise when Pinkie suddenly appears from behind the books next to Twilight asking a question. Yet Pinkie mocks Twilight and makes her out to be the stupid one for having an understandably surprised reaction and not answering her question instantaneously. This is the kind of thing that I think Pinkie ought to be called out on, rather than her friends always just ignoring it or having an annoyed expression which Pinkie apparently doesn't notice or care about. Maybe Twilight could sarcastically say something to the effect of "Well, sorry I wasn't expecting you to suddenly come out of the bookshelf asking me questions". It just seems that the way that Pinkie's friends act now isn't doing anything to get through to her that's she's being inconsiderate and irritating.

Finally, I know that we're supposed to allow more leeway for choreography, etc. during songs, but I couldn't help noticing Pinkie and Apple Bloom "playing" the strings of Pinkie's balloons. What kind of musically significant contribution would the strings to balloons make to the song? What are those balloons filled with such that they are capable of lifting Pinkie and creating enough tension in the strings to be able to play them? Also, the banjo that Applejack plays looks remarkably like the banjos of our world, which are designed for human hands and fingers. I have to wonder how well Applejack can play it with just her hooves, let alone while bouncing around in the wagon.

One of the big issues I have with this episode is that I don't think the central question of whether Pinkie is distantly related (i.e. a fourth cousin twice removed) to the Apple family is ultimately all that interesting. Consequently, during both the excitement everyone has about the possibility that Pinkie is a member of the Apple family and all the troubles they undergo to find out for sure, I couldn't help wondering why they care that much or whether all the excitement and trouble is really worth it. To me, if Pinkie is distantly related to the Apple family, that would really just be a random factoid that might occasionally be brought up in conversation. I don't see why it should affect Pinkie's already-existing day-to-day relationships with Applejack, Apple Bloom, Big Mac, and Granny Smith.

This is also why it doesn't make much sense to me that various members of the Apple family (and Pinkie herself) talk about how great it is that Pinkie is "an Apple" and will be part of "the Apple family" but then refer to their immediate family (e.g. Apple Bloom being excited about having another "sister" and Applejack extolling the virtues of Apple Bloom, Big Mac, Granny Smith, and herself) even though, at best, Pinkie would be very extended family. Does anyone there think Pinkie is about to move in with them, start doing farm chores, etc.?

On a somewhat related note, it seems a bit strange just how many times the Apple family (and even Pinkie) says how great the Apple family is, and how the Apple family feels the need to display their greatness to Pinkie and everyone else. Why does the Apple family need to reassure themselves of their own greatness while also being so self-conscious about their image to others? Do they have some reputation as an awesome family that they feel obligated to believe in and uphold? If so, how did they acquire this reputation, especially if they now have to plan and work at maintaining it, rather than it just coming naturally?

One thing that's never really made clear in the episode is how big the trip to Goldie Delicious's house is, i.e., how far away her house is from Ponyville and how long they stay there. This has a few implications in the episode that are unclear. When the Apple family's wagon breaks down, how far are they from getting help at the nearest house or town? Was constructing a boat necessary if help was relatively close by? Is this a multi-day trip? If so, how does that square with Applejack's statement that Goldie Delicious doesn't live all that far away? If the trip is so long and requires bringing so much stuff, how is it worth it to make the trip just to find out if Pinkie is the Apple family's fourth cousin twice removed?

Also, the Apple family brings a mountain of various things, which of course causes them plenty of problems, but how necessary were all of those things? Did they even stay at Goldie Delicious's house for any significant amount of time after they didn't get the answer to their burning question? If so, where did they stay among the heaps of junk in her house? Apparently, regardless of the length of the trip or their stay, the mountain of stuff wasn't that important, since they lost a significant part of it just on the way to Goldie Delicious's house, yet they managed to survive their trip and stay. Furthermore, they leave Goldie Delicious's house with NONE of their original things, yet are able to make the trip back home.

As a side note, everyone except Big Mac are wearing life jackets in the boat. Why did the Apple family bring a bunch of life jackets on their trip to Goldie Delicious's house? Were they expecting to cross deep water on the path there? Were they planning on doing some recreational activity that would require life jackets while staying at Goldie Delicious's house?

Pinkie had her share of zany antics and (willful?) ignorance of the tension and awkwardness among the Apple family, and some of that was a little more tolerable in this episode, but the opening scene was one example of Pinkie being frustrating and annoying. Twilight naturally doesn't expect anyone to be behind the books on her bookshelf, and so Twilight understandably screams in surprise when Pinkie suddenly appears from behind the books next to Twilight asking a question. Yet Pinkie mocks Twilight and makes her out to be the stupid one for having an understandably surprised reaction and not answering her question instantaneously. This is the kind of thing that I think Pinkie ought to be called out on, rather than her friends always just ignoring it or having an annoyed expression which Pinkie apparently doesn't notice or care about. Maybe Twilight could sarcastically say something to the effect of "Well, sorry I wasn't expecting you to suddenly come out of the bookshelf asking me questions". It just seems that the way that Pinkie's friends act now isn't doing anything to get through to her that's she's being inconsiderate and irritating.

Finally, I know that we're supposed to allow more leeway for choreography, etc. during songs, but I couldn't help noticing Pinkie and Apple Bloom "playing" the strings of Pinkie's balloons. What kind of musically significant contribution would the strings to balloons make to the song? What are those balloons filled with such that they are capable of lifting Pinkie and creating enough tension in the strings to be able to play them? Also, the banjo that Applejack plays looks remarkably like the banjos of our world, which are designed for human hands and fingers. I have to wonder how well Applejack can play it with just her hooves, let alone while bouncing around in the wagon.

If I may interject here, kind fan but...you are asking for logic and sense...

• Brohoof 1

Oh Pinkie, you never fail to amuse me so. This is a great episode for both Pinkie and the Apple family, and I really liked the final message of how even if there is no blood relation, really close friends can still be like family. I couldn't agree me to that myself. The episode was essentially a train wreck just waiting to happen, but it was really nice to see how everyone got back up from it. But what was really amusing was how Pinkie didn't even seem to be bothered but instead treated it as just another chance to have fun. Especially at the end when everyone started arguing about who should write on the journal and Pinkie started pretending to argue xDDDD

Oh, and I'd have nearly said that Goldie Delicious is AJ from the future if it wasn't for her cutie mark. Unless future AJ used a fake cutie mark in anticipation of present AJ coming for a visit :o

And Pinkie makes best face.

3m74.png

• Brohoof 1

I was laughing the whole way through this episode. From Pinkie's duck face, to Big Macintosh's duck floatie.

I liked the song a lot, too. Although I can't say I like Granny Smith's voice -_-;

However, nothing can top the eagle swooping down and eating the fish who ate the map. And when the eagle stole the duck with the wheel in its neck.

I literally was ROFL. Sorta... Shocked that they actually put that in My Little Pony!

I love this new writer already.

5/5

Edited by Samurott77
  • Brohoof 2

Pinkie Apple Pie has been one of the episodes I have been looking forward to the most, and I can confirm that I was not disappointed one bit! (Well, apart from the fact that we didn't find out for sure if they were truly cousins). I found it absolutely hilarious and beautifully put together. For once, I thought Pinkie's craziness was completely necessary, and her antics were very funny indeed. Plus, there are always plenty of laughs among the Apple family.

I had been waiting for that song to air since I first heard it in the animatics. When I saw it, animated and in HD, it is GORGEOUS! It is definitely one of my new favourite songs from the show. The vocals and harmonies are stunning and it is so catchy, even my mum has been heard singing it around the house!

I found myself cracking up many times throughout the episodes. Favourites included:

- "HEYYY COUSIN!" and Applejack's initial confused reaction.

- going through the "scariest cave in Equestria" — I about lost it at their comical screams.

- falling down that waterfall and Pinkie's selfie taking! A DUCK FACE? And Applejack covering her eyes, aww...

- even though Applejack was going against her element of honesty, it was very amusing how she tried to keep her cool with the family. Bless her.

- I always knew Applejack could play the banjo :3

- THE SONG, of course! Absolutely beautiful!

- so glad to see more of Big Mac :3 and singing too! He's so cute.

Anyway, I would definitely call this one of my favourite episodes so far, along with Castle-Maneia and Daring Don't. However, RAINBOW Falls may change that!

post-10736-0-91069400-1389529152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dashabel

One of the big issues I have with this episode is that I don't think the central question of whether Pinkie is distantly related (i.e. a fourth cousin twice removed) to the Apple family is ultimately all that interesting. Consequently, during both the excitement everyone has about the possibility that Pinkie is a member of the Apple family and all the troubles they undergo to find out for sure, I couldn't help wondering why they care that much or whether all the excitement and trouble is really worth it. To me, if Pinkie is distantly related to the Apple family, that would really just be a random factoid that might occasionally be brought up in conversation. I don't see why it should affect Pinkie's already-existing day-to-day relationships with Applejack, Apple Bloom, Big Mac, and Granny Smith.

I think they're just excited to even be distantly related- they're friends! I'd be pretty excited if I found out a bestie was somewhat related.

and the Apple family just wants to make a good example for their family. It's like when you invite someone over for dinner, you'd like for your family to not burp and ignore certain topics and not fight because you'd like them to come back right?

The rest like why Big Mac packed so much and Etc. Is simply there to create conflict which starts the plot and therefore makes us all laugh.

I wasn't expecting much, since Applejack and Pinkie are my two least favorite ponies. This episode had some good jokes and slapstick in it, but the song wasn't very good and overall the episode was pretty boring. Honestly the best part of it was that hungry eagle.

It was pretty good! The cat lady was what really sold it for me, to be honest.

I really liked seeing Big Mac with a personality in this.  I loved the song.  When pinkie's eyes got all big when Granny Smith said she's always welcome with her apple kin, I got a little sad because I didn't want them to end up breaking her heart at the end.  I do think they're related though.  They pretty much subtly pointed it out by mannerisms.  At the beginning when Pinkie pulled out the bottoms scroll and somehow didn't knock the whole stack over, and the cat lady at the end did the same thing with the stack of books.

And because I haven't found this on google yet, I'll just post this screenshot I got...

tumblr_mz9v30kWYz1ry06ono1_500.png

• Brohoof 1

It was a great episode as always, and though this wasn't emphasized on, I think the information on Pinkie being Applejack's cousin being smudged on both the scroll and on the book may lead to something. Hopefully it won't be a dead end in the season.

First, the song. Incredible. Even my wife was singing it around that house and she is not as into the show as me. Catchy and gets you right in the happy lovey feels. I think they are related smudge at the bottom of the scroll and book be darned! One of the best pinkie and apple episodes yet! Seal of Fabulousity approval!

img-2187519-3-fc,550x550,white.u2.jpg

This episode was interesting for me because Applejack and Pinkie Pie being distant relatives was an idea I had a while ago. It made me really psyched to see an actual episode of the show use that plot! It's also great that AJ and Pinkie have some kind of dynamic now, as one thing that's continuously annoyed me about the show is that certain pairs of characters have yet to really interact with each other.

My idea for the episode started out similarly, with Pinkie and Twilight looking at genealogy and Pinkie discovering from her own research that she and AJ have a common ancestor. Though Applejack isn't very thrilled about it, as Pinkie wants to move in and help out on the farm. Aj is worried that Pinkie will drive everyone crazy and cause all kinds of disasters and destruction across Sweet Apple Acres. It's a dilemma because the Apples value family above all else, so Aj can't just turn Pinkie away. She gives Pinkie lots of difficult and time consuming tasks to try and discourage her from moving in.

Twilight later finds out that Pinkie made a mistake and they don't share an ancestor. Applejack is relieved, but feels bad when she sees that Pinkie has worked very hard to only to complete all her tasks, but also cooked a huge meal and put together a fun party for the family. AJ doesn't reveal the truth and let's Pinkie help out on the farm for a day, which she ends up being very good at. When AJ tells Pinkie she made a mistake, it turns out that Twilight was wrong, as Pinkie has some other family tree information that she left at her old home in the bakery.

And Applejack's moral for the end is that while being family is important, what's even more important is being friends. She and Pinkie aren't just family, they're friends and that's why the Apple Family has always been so tight knit.

The actual episode was pretty good. I enjoyed that whole plot point about the Apples trying not to fight or argue. That's something I'm sure we've all had to go though with our families while trying to impress someone. I'm disappointed that they didn't reveal whether Pinkie is related to them or not. I hope the subtle similarities between Golden Delicious and Pinkie are intentionally supposed to point towards there being an actual relation. I always find it annoying when a story sets up a mystery and decides to leave it hanging like that. None the less, I'm happy to see that Pinkie is considered a part of the family and I hope that stays consistent with future episodes. It's always nice to have some kind of fun relationship change like that in a series, and now AJ and Pinkie have a dynamic they can work off of with each other.

Welp, just finished watching it. It was good episode. There were parts where it seemed a bit rushed, and the scene where the steering wheel got thrown out was predictable. But the lesson was interesting and I can say it was one of the funniest episodes of the season so far. And the song. Now THAT's catchy.

I give it a 7/10, overall.

Edited by HiveMindize

I don't know. this episode was okay I guess but, it really made me realize how much I don't like Pinke Pie. You see, for me the problem with Pinkie Pie is that she doesn't act like a regular human being; she more acts like a alien from outer space that's just done a bunch of space cocaine. I mean it's fine if she's hyper and all, but she almost never acts appropriately to situations at hand. For exsample; when Applejack and her family went down the waterfall Pinkie pie had no concern for her or their safety whatsoever. Instead she thought it was a good idea to take pictures. There's a thin line between optimistic and insane. If she was more believably optimistic I would like her character more, but she acts too unreasonable for me to relate to her at all. The only part in this episode with Pinkie pie I did like was at the end because she was actually displaying real human emotion towards a certain situation that was totally believable. I just want more of that from her rather than crazy randomness. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Everfree
  • Brohoof 1

It was pretty good.

Im shocked with whole livestream channel when i heard they are cousins.

I laughed hard when i saw Golden Delicious but people is scared that Cat is turned into ash when Golden Delicous whistled. :D

I gave it a 8/10