Yellow Diamond

S04:E09 - Pinkie Apple Pie  

338 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I loved this episode! It was nice to see the whole Apple family together, and Big McIntosh was funny.The ending was a bit rushed, but I liked how the writers kept it open, and we can decide ourselves whether Pinkie Pie is related to Applejack. I think she is. They can both be crazy at times.  :lol:

Edited by Rainbow Epic Power

This is now my favorite episode. AJ and Pinkie are my Top Favorite 2 ponies and I loved this episode. Apples to the core is also my faovrite song! It combines a heartwarming message with Pinkie my favorite and Apple Jacks singing voice which we all know is the best out of the mane 6.

• Brohoof 1

This is my favorite of the season so far.  I found the storyboard animatic on youtube for the "Apples to the Core" song (before season 4 even started) and loved seeing it in it's final form.  When me and my daughter watch it, she has me rewind that song at least 3 times.  The first two times she insists I sing along with her (a testament to her love for me since I sound like a cat being run over by a lawn mower).  The last time, whether it be 3 or 10, I like to just enjoy.  She was very disappointed last Saturday when she learned it wasn't on (as was I), but we resumed our Friday night ritual of me asking her "Guess what's on tomorrow?" and her replying "Ponies!".  Of course, since Pinkie Pie is my favorite, I am biased to all things Pinkie Pie.  My co-workers are flummoxed by my Pinkie Pie McDonalds toy on my (extremely well populated) toyz & stuff shelf at my desk.  She's right between my pull apart zombie plush and the can of unicorn meat from thinkgeek.  Aaaaannnnd, I've probably said too much now, but oh well :)

This is now my favorite episode. AJ and Pinkie are my Top Favorite 2 ponies and I loved this episode. Apples to the core is also my faovrite song! It combines a heartwarming message with Pinkie my favorite and Apple Jacks singing voice which we all know is the best out of the mane 6.

Hey, me too!  It's Pinkie Pie, then AJ who are my favs.  Kind of polar opposites, it seems.  I would disagree on the singing voice, though.  I like Twilight Sparkle's singing voice.  The BBBFF song is a favorite of mine.  Not that AJ is at all bad, mind you.

Edited by NinjaMidget

I absolutely loved the episode, one of my favourites by far. I loved how they tried to comfort Pinkie who was the only pony to not really care as long as they sticked together. And I absolutely loved Goldie Delicious! That they finally brought a crazy cat lady in after making that reference with Rarity... awesome.

Btw., did anybody catch the name of one of her cats? She is mumbling something when she throws some stuff out of her cottage, it sounds like puddle or pebble or so. I reeeaaally want to know.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

"You're more fun  than the colour pink, or balloons flying over your favourite drink". :)

I have to agree with Pinkie, I'd love to be a member of the Apple family. Applejack's family unit is beautiful. :) This is my favourite episode of the entire series. I think Goldie Delicious' subtle defiance of physics implies that smudge said Pie after all. (or at least I'm convinced of it). :) I love rewatching this one !

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I thought this episode was absolutely adorable! I love how pumped up Pinkie was about her "new family"! The music also was just absolutely classic FIM ~ love that the strength of music in S4 certainly has not swindled since S1. 

I thought this episode was absolutely adorable! I love how pumped up Pinkie was about her "new family"! The music also was just absolutely classic FIM ~ love that the strength of music in S4 certainly has not swindled since S1. 

I'm sorry, I don't normally go around correcting people on grammar/spelling mistakes, but I burst out laughing at "swindled".  I think you meant "dwindled". :)

• Brohoof 2

I'm sorry, I don't normally go around correcting people on grammar/spelling mistakes, but I burst out laughing at "swindled".  I think you meant "dwindled". :)

Oh my goodness! :blink:  LMAO! I didn't notice I said that! Thank you, haha!!  :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder if they are really related if they are it would be really weird because Pinkie pie is a party queen and Applejack owns a farm.

It wouldn't really be weird. Pinkie is technically farm folk too. 

Her family lives on a rock farm after all. 

And why would it be weird just because of the reason you mentioned?

Not all of the apple relatives are farm folk, think of AJ's aunt and uncle orange for example. They live in the big city.

Not all of the apple relatives are farm folk, think of AJ's aunt and uncle orange for example. They live in the big city.

As does Babs Seed. The Apples have family all over Equestria.

• 1 month later...

This was a phenomenal episode.  I just loved the idea that two of the mane six are distantly related.  And these two seemed like a great choice to me.  (And as far as I know, Pinkie and AJ is not a popular ship, so no problems there, am I right?!  Heh, that was a little joke.)  Anyway, I liked the ambiguous ending.  That was perfect.  I'm choosing to believe they are indeed related.  What I loved most about this episode was that fact that Pinkie was very much in-character.  It's no secret that during many scenes in season 4, Pinkie tends to be...well, just the stupid comic relief, and lacking the eccentric brilliance that made her so complex and interesting.  I was legitimately worried about the writers letting that great side to her slip away in season 4, but I think it's strongly present in this episode.  One part I particularly liked is when they went through the terrifying cave, and Pinkie was the only one who wasn't scared.  The casual observer might think that she's simply too dumb and too much of an airhead to know that there's something to be scared of.  But I believe that she is the only one who knows that's there's nothing to be scared of.  This is because Pinkie has always thought and existed in a slightly different dimension than everypony else.  It's like she knows something the others do not, but she can never explain it.  I've said many times that Pinkie is like Tersa from the Black Jewels Trilogy.  Excellent episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
I just realized, while watching a commentary of s1e10...
There exists another headcanon link to applejack and pinkie's family tree. 

Y'know how they hinted that the two were related, thanks to all the obvious parallels between goldie and pinkie?

Pinkie was the only pony in the mane six who already knew what parasprites were, and she knew exactly how to get rid of them.
Twilight didn't even know, and she reads craploads of books on all subjects. 

I think Pinkie learned about them through a relative on the apple side. 
Being on a rock farm rules out having to deal with them herself, but a relative with stories to tell from their own farm life could have described some encounters to child pinkie.

Zecora said "tales of fields and crops consumed" when describing parasprites, implying their most common target is (understandably) farms.
It would make sense if some apple relatives have dealt with them before.

Just something I was thinking about, and I think it does make sense as to why pinkie knew what they were.
  • Brohoof 1

A totally worthless episode. Humorless, contentless, pointless, the conflict had no reason or sense for the characters, the lesson was meaningless, Pinkie comes across as sadistic and the Apples come across as stupid. Aren't Pinkie episodes supposed to be funny?

But hey, at least the first 30 seconds of the song were good.

lol, wtf?

Sorry, but i don't see any of that... like at all XD

Applejack and her family basically fall to pieces trying to be nice to Pinkie, even though despite AJ being right 100% of the time her family is bent on screwing them all over. It would be one thing if, as is suggested initially, Pinkie is just oblivious to their struggling over her. But at the end, she reveals she's been paying attention the whole time. She watched them quibble and fight for her and never once thought to say "Guys, it's okay, we're all in this together." The idea that she noticed them all going at each other but didn't respond makes her out to be a sadist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really loved this episode for the interaction between pinkie and applejack not only that they don't have many moments by themselves I believe, but I also loved how they expressed how even the friends you spend time with aren't actually like your real family members they can still treat you like family and vice versa. I also loved the song and it was very catchy. One thing I was a little disappointed in this episode was how they said that Pinkie may not be related to the apples during the time they were talking to golden delicious. It would have set up many more moments between pinkie and applejack and would probably give more episodes for 2 characters who don't usually get a separate episode to interact with each other. It would have also been interesting to see what would happen if maud had met pinkie and applejack if they were all related. 

• 3 weeks later...

Granny Smith: Applejack, why do you have to keep adopting weirdos into out family?

Applejack: Look, I get a bit lonely sometimes.

Granny Smith: If ya lonely, why haven't you gotten married yet? That Rainbow Dash seems really nice.

Applejack: Granny, I already told you I don't swing that way.

Granny Smith: Oh my gosh, I'm gonna pass before any of you have children.

• 2 weeks later...

We already know that Pinkie's name isn't Pinkie Apple Pie because in the episode "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" where we learn about all the mane 6's cutie mark stories Pinkie's mother calls her Pinkomena Diane Pie. I don't want to hate on anyone that thinks that Applejack and Pinkie are related I'm just pointing something out. Also I like it how they never speak of it again

Pinkie is technically farm folk too. 

Did anyone notice how Rarity's parents were like in the episode where she had to take care of sweetiebell? They were kind of (Using stereotypes) Farmer-Like. Maybe something worth noting or do i watch to much of the show and just find random stuff :muffins:  

Edited by Chewbroccali
  • Brohoof 1