Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The afterlife, what do you think happens?

Noble

The problem with that is that these people nearly died. None of them have actually died.

And as for all of those people who "Died" at hospitals and were "Brought back" through medical procedures. Those people who "Died," didn't really die. Those machines with the lines that beep monitor your heart NOT your brain. As I have stated before, people are not physical beings. People are intangible personalities that are the result of a series of electrical-chemical processes that take place in their brains.

The heart is there to sustain the body that sustains the brain that sustains the electrical-chemical processes that cause consciousness, and personality, essentially the person in question.

There have been people who have been officially dead several hours and revived, there bodies were cept near frozen so no cell damage occured. when they were revived and asked if they saw anything, all report just blackness. nothing. 

To quote gregg: they were dead, just not quite dead.

My simple boring wise answer consists of one word.......something. I can see why someone may believe that we just cease to be...but if you think about how life started...and how the universe came to be, there's got to be something. I personally believe more in reincarnation, maybe in another universe where everyone's a pony or maybe a mile away from where you live now.
All I can say is...there's gotta be something.

• Brohoof 2

When you think about it, if we all ceased to exist perhaps at the end of time for example, no person would remember anything or anyone and we just die and everything is over. No more descendants and everything is done? What kind of sick game is that? Ok. Live and do whatever you want. Die happy. People are going to remember you? Not likely. So there has gotta be something. I mean what is the purpose of coming into existence and dying? Are we test subjects?

When you think about it, if we all ceased to exist perhaps at the end of time for example, no person would remember anything or anyone and we just die and everything is over. No more descendants and everything is done? What kind of sick game is that? Ok. Live and do whatever you want. Die happy. People are going to remember you? Not likely. So there has gotta be something. I mean what is the purpose of coming into existence and dying? Are we test subjects?

Does there have to be a purpose?

• Brohoof 1

Its best not to think too hard.

If you want to get freaky, some theory's state our whole universe isn't even the 'first' universe. it could completely collapsed reborn a 100,000 times already and we would never know.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 4

As far as can be ascertained, it's all chance. All of it. There is no reason, no grand plan, no test, nothing. There just.... is.

Its best not to think too hard.

If you want to get freaky, some theory's state our whole universe isn't even the 'first' universe. it could completely collapsed reborn a 100,000 times already and we would never know.

Oh my. I saw this video on 10 reasons why we might not even exist. So honestly I'll just take your word and not think about it

As far as can be ascertained, it's all chance. All of it. There is no reason, no grand plan, no test, nothing. There just.... is.

Well we will all find out once we die. IF there is something, see you in the next life

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

I don't see any reason to believe that our consciousness is anything more than that generated by the interacting chemicals in our brain. So when the brain ceases to function, our consciousness is no more.

As much as I'd personally love to believe in some kind of an afterlife (more along the lines of reincarnation, NOT the eternal afterlives imagined in many religions, as I think they'd all be bad), I really don't understand why so many try to see something more than what's there.

Personally, I believe that we cease to exist when we die. Our consciousness is no more and as a result, it's like we never existed in the first place. I wouldn't mind believing in reincarnation, but I personally can't see it. 

You remember what it was like before you were born? Well, that's what you're going to feel when you die. Nothing. You will return to the non-existence from whenst you came.

The moment your brain stops processing sensory data, you go bye-bye.

We decompose, slowly or quickly depending on how our bodies are treated post death. I think we will just simply experience nothing because our brain ceases to function. This line of thought gives me comfort, I don't have to worry about death because I won't be conscious to experience it or even register it. (Well, idealistically)

If I see a deity when I die, I think I'd actually be a little disappointed. I wouldnt mind a ghost afterlife or permanent dream afterlife though (as illogical as they are...)

Damn it, I don't have anything to say about this topic because they have pretty much some'd up everything I was going to say.  :okiedokielokie:

Never the less, I agree with what you see in the quotes. Yes, Its a little depressing to think of it that way but, I just don't believe there is anything more past death, no matter how much I would like to.   -_-

• Brohoof 2

Probable TL; DR alert. I rarely comment on religious topics, but I figured I would give my 2 cents. Feel free to skip it.

From what I've read I'm a Christian in a room full of Atheists.

All these listed below are from people who have seen death happen: Pastors

1) God calls you
2) He sends a welcoming party
3) earthly death
4) God sends you to heaven or hell depending on if you believed in God or not, nothing else. (Mind. Blown)
5) you spend eternity in either heaven or hell.(see #4)

As a Christian, I agree with this.

Where was god in 9/11?

We've asked ourselves this question before. God lets bad things happen to good people. Whether It's just there time, or if it is to help someone else. Everything has a purpose, IMHO.

As for the sinners part, a lot of that, I believe, is also for others. Things backfire, sometimes they steer the person straight, sometimes the affect others.

The Christian God is all loving? Nah, fuck that, he'd prefer to see people suffer in hell. Sounds like a beautiful and compassionate religion you've got there.

Why would you think that? In Christianity, people choose that way. I believe that choice is yours until your name is called, shortly after you die. After seeing it, and still not wanting it, then that choice is yours. God isn't going to make you go to Heaven.

All in all believe what you want to believe in, just don't force into other peoples live and we'll not have a problem.

I agree. I can't stand it when fellow Christians shove it down people's throats. There's a nice way to do it, and there's a bad way to do it.

The standard Christian doctrine of Heaven and Hell is to make you fearful that if you do certain things then you will be punished eternally. \

The only thing required (at least for Baptists, I'll admit I am not too knowledgable about other parts of Christianity) is that you trust that Jesus Christ died for your sins. However, I do understand that some religions (Jehovah's Witness) believe in different criteria.

God would've let Abraham sacrifice his own son but thankfully Abraham had the good idea to use a ram that he saw in some bushes instead. God was more than willing to let it happen.

"now I know you fear God."

That's what the angel of God said right before Abraham was going to kill Isaac. I believe God planned out the ram and the bush, and everything worked out as a test.

I like to think that when you die, you can choose a place, any place, world, dimension or wherever you want to go and you could start a new life there. :3

Also not necessarily as a human, you could decide about everything.

I'll start my answer to this question with this. I agree partly with this post. I believe that there is a Heaven and a Hell, and which one you go to is determined by whether you believe that Jesus dies for our sins.

I believe that Heaven is what you make it. You want ponies in Heaven? You get ponies in Heaven. You want Gran Turismo 5 5,000 HP Honda Civics in Heaven? Then you get 5,000 HP Honda Civics. Stuff like that. You also get to see all of those that have left the Earth before you died. You get to see Jesus, and talk with him.

Fun place, really. And as I always like to put it. I'd rather be a believer and be wrong, than be an Atheist and be wrong.

• Brohoof 5

Fun place, really. And as I always like to put it. I'd rather be a believer and be wrong, than be an Atheist and be wrong.

I've seen this argument countless times and its just ridiculous. What if Is Islam is correct and you're wrong? Then you burn in hell. What if Mormons are right? You burn. What if any other random religion that believes in a hell is right? You burn. You get the point. If you're believing just to "be safe" then you aren't really believing.

Why should I be more scared of Christian hell and not Islamic hell? You're only believing this out of blind fear of a hell you were told you will go for not believing. It's sort of like a marketing gimmick. Every product in existence paints this horrible picture of what will happen if you don't use their product. The churches use hell in this way to get you to attend church. What better way to get kids to attend church than to tell them they will roast in an eternal pit of flames for eternity if they don't attend?

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY that has ever lived or will ever live deserves to burn in eternal agony forever. Going to an eternal hell for non eternal crimes is not justice.

And the "faith only" requirement is incredibly unfair. You're telling me that a serial rapist can "repent" shortly before death and enter eternal paradise but Gandhi is burning in hell for eternity simply because he happened to believe in the wrong God despite all the good he did for the world? There are thousands of religions to chose from, all of which have many books written and have many persuasive arguments as to why you should believe them. So if you choose the wrong one based on however many factors you deserve eternal torment? I don't buy it.

One last note: You mentioned Jehovah's Witnesses having different criteria for eternal punishment. Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe in any sort of hell. To them you either go to Heaven (For the 144,000 "chosen" witnesses), a New Earth (similar to Heaven, but more like a perfect earth), or just die and are wiped from existence.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 3