S04:E18 - Maud Pie  

351 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• Rarity wore a giant hat. Friendship is Witchcraft, anyone?
  • Maud Pie = Mud pie. I can't believe I just realized that.
  • Maud seems to have Asperger's or some kind of ASD. She's introverted, takes things literally, and has few interests but is very passionate about what she likes (Rocks).
  • Maud's poetry was pretty great. Twilight Sparkle has no taste.

I think this is my favorite episode in the whole series. Only flaw is lack of Spike.

• Brohoof 2

Just got back into things, and we're on Episode 18 already?!? What???

Holy crap...

Anyways, thoughts about the episode...it was meh...

Most of my disappointment may have been from the lack of it being "the honesty episode," but I really just didn't connect with it. Mauds character was underwhelming. I know that was the intention, but it still left me wishing something different, something more, had happened...

I did like pinkie's character though, Hilarious as always, but a lot more behind that. It was like S1 all over again, as was Pinkies Pride and other episodes like it. 

Maud Pie and Spike would hit it off. They both love gems/rocks and can eat them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Maud got herself a dragon for a husband. She can go off on her trips. He sleeps during their time apart. Plus she has the strength to beat down a dragon.

Edited by Singe

I thought they'd make Maud into somepony who was unexpectedly not going to be a boring rock farmer... eh, it was false to say the least.

Maud was funny, and she had a decent design, but her purple didn't fit well with her gray coat. But nonetheless, she's gonna be the centre of memes for a long time.

I liked this episode most for the very real lesson it conveys. It speaks to me personally 'cause I can't remember how many times I've experienced something like this.

To those who were confused, the lesson was all about trying to engage and care in a new person you meet even though you may not connect with him/her like a another friend may have. I had one of my best friends put me in this situation a lot, and because she had a wide array of guests and friends over at her house, I would occasionally have to interact with them. Most of time, I was a hard cookie to relate to and connect to as a friend with her other friends. I just didn't share that constant need to gossip or tidy myself up with makeup. This brought me down a lot, and because of her friends not liking me so much, she became distant with me, and I'm not even sure we're friends anymore. But really, enough about me. I'm too depressing! Pinkie makes everything end well because she has the best friends in the entire world~

9/10 for humor, no boring parts, solid characterization, no bad humor or forced lines, and wonderful lesson! I loved this episode!

whycantpeoplebelikeponies

• Brohoof 3

Did Nobody else notice that Maud's pet rock ate the sandwich?

Ohmigod, you're right!

This is one of the things I love about FiM is that there are always several "blink and you'll miss it" visual gags every episode. It's part of the reason I always have to watch each episode a few times. :D

Edited by Andaasonsan
  • Brohoof 1

Ohmigod, you're right!

This is one of the things I love about FiM is that there are always several "blink and you'll miss it" visual gags every episode. It's part of the reason I always have to watch each episode a few times. :D

I noticed she placed the sandwich near the rock, but was there really animation with a mouth on Boulder? XD 

I noticed she placed the sandwich near the rock, but was there really animation with a mouth on Boulder? XD 

The camera cuts away and when it cuts back, Boulder is there but the sandwich is gone.

Edited by Andaasonsan
  • Brohoof 1

The camera cuts away and when it cuts back, boulder is there but the sandwich is gone.

Spooky... but maybe it was just Maud trying to think Boulder's doing that. Maybe. Could be another case of the weeping angels...

After watching the first few minutes of this episode, I didn't think I would like it. The idea of Pinkie Pie having a new, never before seen sister, and then when I saw how... boring she was, I didn't see how it could possibly be a good episode. This just goes to show how brilliant the writers are though. I loved how sweet she was and how she genuinely cared for Pinkie Pie, even though she didn't show it, and I loved how Pinkie Pie cared for her even though she was the complete opposite. The episode actually hit home for me, because I'm kind of like Maud. I don't usually get excited or show my emotions much, which can give people the wrong impression. I also have interests in some things that others may find boring or uninteresting, just as she was interested in that dull cloth and a pet rock. Because of that, I was able to empathize with her. When the mane six mentioned how they didn't "click" with her, and Rainbow Dash said she was mysterious, I felt the opposite. I knew exactly how she felt. I know how it is to be an outsider, to be misunderstood, and often encouraged to "break out of your shell", which is impossible. That's like asking someone to be something they're not. All it does is push them away... just as Maud was pushed back to the rock farm. As a result of our similarities, along with how sweet the ending was, I am not ashamed to say it left me in tears.

Edit: I stand corrected. Maud has been seen before:

"She is first seen as a filly in a portrait in Pinkie Pride" ~MLP Wikia

Edited by Apple Bloom
Correction
  • Brohoof 5

I didn't see Maud as boring, because I believe she was trolling the rest for most of the episode. Mistaking a rock for a muffin? Letting the Mane Six spends hours searching for Boulder only to find him hiding in her pocket? Choosing a dirty dishcloth for her fabric? All that seems deliberate, like she was trying to be funny, but just being misunderstood. She was awesome.

After watching the first few minutes of this episode, I didn't think I would like it. The idea of Pinkie Pie having a new, never before seen sister, and then when I saw how... boring she was, I didn't see how it could possibly be a good episode. This just goes to show how brilliant the writers are though. I loved how sweet she was and how she genuinely cared for Pinkie Pie, even though she didn't show it, and I loved how Pinkie Pie cared for her even though she was the complete opposite. The episode actually hit home for me, because I'm kind of like Maud. I don't usually get excited or show my emotions much, which can give people the wrong impression. I also have interests in some things that others may find boring or uninteresting, just as she was interested in that dull cloth and a pet rock. Because of that, I was able to empathize with her. When the mane six mentioned how they didn't "click" with her, and Rainbow Dash said she was mysterious, I felt the opposite. I knew exactly how she felt. I know how it is to be an outsider, to be misunderstood, and often encouraged to "break out of your shell", which is impossible. That's like asking someone to be something they're not. All it does is push them away... just as Maud was pushed back to the rock farm. As a result of our similarities, along with how sweet the ending was, I am not ashamed to say it left me in tears.

She was seen before, in "Pinkie Pride".

post-2257-0-06144800-1394939371_thumb.jpg

Hey, it's more introduction than Shining Armor ever got!

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't see Maud as boring, because I believe she was trolling the rest for most of the episode. Mistaking a rock for a muffin? Letting the Mane Six spends hours searching for Boulder only to find him hiding in her pocket? Choosing a dirty dishcloth for her fabric? All that seems deliberate, like she was trying to be funny, but just being misunderstood. She was awesome.

I think she was trying to be funny as well, though I think she genuinely liked the dull cloth and though I'm sure she knew the rock wasn't a muffin, she seemed to enjoy eating it, so maybe she just grabbed it out of preference. In any case, her dry, misunderstood humor is another think we have in common, so that just makes her even more awesome in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Crackpot theory time!  We never saw Maud's cutie mark, but it's probably stones or a boulder or whatever.  This may sound obvious given the episode, but bear with me.  Not only does her life's passion center around rocks, it's invaded her very personality.  Not only that, but her skills with rocks and earth are so impressive that I'm lead to believe that cutie marks bestow a special magic on their owner.  Either that, or there's a special magic IN the ponies themselves that's triggered when the pony discovers their cutie marks.

Maud's feats could be something related to the outright ruggedness she's gained over the years, or her abilities could be caused - or at least enhanced - by the magic in her cutie mark.  I was going to call it a magic that all Earth ponies possess, but I'm not really sure it can be linked to that, seeing as how plenty of Earth ponies aren't linked to the Earth.

Sure, you could just chalk it up to "It's a cartoon." if you wanted, but I personally think it's fun to explore and play with ideas the show brings around.

Edited by Gyruss

This episode was clearly one of the best yet. Maud's flat character made her one of the best secondary ponies to come out of the writers' minds. Not to mention she didn't look bad at all. She was sweet, powerful, and very, very, bland. That's what makes her so amazing.

Am I the only one who liked her poetry?

Favorite part: ALL OF IT

Favorite line: "It tastes like apples."

• Brohoof 2

Maud Pie:

-Dull colour scheme that contrasts with the vivid colours of most of the show's ponies.

-Wears simple clothing.

-Straight, plain mane style.

-No facial expression whatsoever; talks with a bland tone.

-Is a scholar in a subject that no pony cares about.

My reaction:

I'M IN LOVE!

EDIT: How quickly can we add Maud Pie to the list of ponies we can pick from in the 'Best Pony' section of our profiles?

Edited by Asterisk Propernoun
  • Brohoof 2

Maybe I didn't get so amazed by Maud because she turned out to be exactly like I expected? Really, what I felt was funny was the exaggeration of her character and the awkwardness of the situations. She is funny because she is not funny. Literally.

What the hell was that with her throwing a rock that blows up like it was Puppysmiles and her Rock of Destiny? And then pulverizing a big rock with her hooves? What was I supposed to get out of that? That she can do these things because she knows rocks? How stupid is that?

What is so great about Maud?

So after seeing a status update asking what people thought Maud's cutie mark was, I had a revelation.  I think Maud's cutie mark is a geode split in half, with each half laid in such a way that both halves form a heart shape.  Her cutie mark represents someone who's looks and acts very plain, but caries a true beauty underneath.  The cutie mark also of course represents her impressive abilities with stones and rocks.

Edited by Gyruss