Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Fluttershy Died?

StabbedByANarwhal

I'll think: "Shit just got real.......". I mean, kill the cutie seems one of the last tropes FiM is willing to have  :lol:

I' would be sad too, Flutters is my best poneh  :( 

That being said killing off a fan favorite character would not inherently kill off the show. Many series have eliminated popular characters and had great success as it gets people talking about the show. Controversy sells, thus it would not inherently hurt the show. The only fans that would be lost are the ones who can't handle the fact that they don't control the show and thus the show and that the writers don't adhere to their will.

Many popular shows have killed off fan favorite characters and found it to be wildly successful moves.

I think the problem here, and this goes for all the mane 6, is that there's really no reason to kill off Fluttershy. No one has really been able to come up with a reason to kill her off, and anyone who has hasn't said anything aside from "she's stupid an I hate her". 

In the end of the day you can't really kill anyone off without a good reason. For example in Gurren Lagann

They kill off Kamina in order to further Simon's character development or else he'd continue living in Kamina's shadow

And then in Dragon Ball Z

Goku dies in the Cell Games, and would pass the torch to Gohan to become the Earth's new hero after years of build -up...which they shat over completely in the Buu Saga >_> 

While it's true that many series have pulled off killing off characters well(hell that's GoT selling point :P), it's still a very risky move that could definitely piss off fans especially if the character was popular and the death was handled in a poor manner and/or without reason

Edited by Green Biker Dude
  • Brohoof 3

I would be happy, perhaps they would replace her with a character with a real personality. 

Fluttershy's personality's as real as Rarity's, Dash's, or Apple Bloom's. Despite being a victim of flanderization, she has grown as a character, and many moments and episodes during the series — all of Hurricane Fluttershy, telling Dash the blunt and honest truth in Tanks — showed off why she earned her popularity.

Pro tip:

Objectively means something that is based on pure facts. So you may want to avoid using it when talking about a fictional show and discussing a point that is a matter of opinion. In a fictional universe there are no concrete "facts" because it's not real. It is in his opinion she is useless, therefore there can be no "objectively" wrong or right.

Just because an opinion is expressed doesn't mean you won't be called out for providing false context. Opinions when addressing fiction can be illogical and wrong. Calling Fluttershy "useless" is an objectively wrong opinion. Why? Because she's everything except useless regardless of the writing quality. Even Trade Ya!, one of the worst thoroughly characterized episodes of the show, doesn't make her look useless.

Removing a splinter is hardly healing. That and there is always the possibility that someone else could have removed it and to top that off, its removal wasn't central to their advancement. They could have just as easily defeated the creature and carried onwards.

They weren't going to defeat the manticore unless they figured out the source of the problem. Her friends were fighting, but 'Shy saw something else despite not seeing the splinter. Defeating him the way they tried initially was completely unnecessary.

points #2-6, #9-10

The quality of the writing doesn't change one bit of my point. The point here is how despite it, Fluttershy isn't useless. I have plenty of problems with the flaws of Dragonshy, but none of them have anything to do with Fluttershy's "use." Stare Master has problems themselves, especially the Cutie Mark Crusaders' obnoxious shouting, but 'Shy is still responsible for everyone's safety. Without her confronting the cockatrice, who knows what will happen to Twilight or the CMCs.

Of all the Discorded characters, it makes perfect sense for Fluttershy to not fall for his tricks. He tried whatever he could to make Fluttershy fall for it, but she was written to be too "pure," for a lack of a better word, for his evil.

Adrenaline rush. Not to mention another example of the cliche of the shy girl having outbursts of extreme anger. Same joke rewrapped over and over in different packages.

Once more, still doesn't change my point. 'Shy had trouble flying fast while hauling the balloon. Twilight telling her she had to catch Dash to defeat Discord to give her the adrenaline doesn't invalidate her use.

And yet she still contributed a very small amount of wing power, thus further proving her uselessness. She is only able to help them by a small margin which just so happened to be the minimum of what they needed. She was not able to improve much at all despite all of her training, thus showing she also lacks aptitude for physical activity, yet another skill she fails to possess.

In other words, Fluttershy was useless because she barely contributed due to stage fright. That's like saying a person with autism is useless because he or she can't capture social cues or a blind man's useless because he can't see. Stage fright isn't a quirk. It affected both her ability to help out with the rest of the team and herself. But when the team needed her the most, she had to confront her phobia, and she was able to beat that phobia, at least for one night. Echoing the moral, your contribution matters no matter how big or small it is.

Such a discovery had little to do with Fluttershy herself, she just happened to be the one to see it. Nothing about Fluttershy being Fluttershy was central to that discovery, it could have happened to anyone.

She still discovered it. From how The Cutie Map was written, you can make an educated guess that nobody ever saw Starlight with her true Mark. Was it a coincidence? Yes. But she still discovered it. If 'Shy was truly useless, then she wouldn't out her as a fraud.

That being said killing off a fan favorite character would not inherently kill off the show. Many series have eliminated popular characters and had great success as it gets people talking about the show. Controversy sells, thus it would not inherently hurt the show. The only fans that would be lost are the ones who can't handle the fact that they don't control the show and thus the show and that the writers don't adhere to their will.

Many popular shows have killed off fan favorite characters and found it to be wildly successful moves.

There are two problems with this argument, as well.

1. Controversy does sell, but for how long? Will it sell well for the long term or short? In shows like Beast Wars, Dinobot was portrayed as a tough, philosophical, honorable, and tragic warrior. It makes sense for the writers there to kill him off at some point in the series, but the question was when. They gave clues early in season two thanks to the monologues and Shakespeare references. Code of Hero was an excellent payoff, and it enhanced his popularity.

But why Fluttershy? What's the actual point in killing her off? You can't say it's because of a so-called "weak" personality or poor writing in many of her episodes; you only gyp the integrity of her character, the rest of the canon, and the fanbase itself. "Character development" or "controversy" don't work, either, for this show runs season by season. When the staff finishes scripting the season, they won't know if there will be a next of FIM. Season four had to be improvised from season three. Season five had to be improvised from season four. Chances are season six will be the same.

Also, consider the series' optimistic backdrop. There are serious and dark episodes like Amending Fences and The Cutie Map, respectively, but FIM doesn't relent its symbol of hope. Killing off a character like Fluttershy will be a double entendre: kill the character and optimistic tone off, permanently.

More importantly, for the reasons stated, it comes across as a rating's trap. In other words, they only pull this plot just to rack up viewership. DHX and Hasbro will only look desperate, which neither need because it's Discovery Family's flagship franchise. You can kill off an entire show this way.

In conclusion, killing off a character like Fluttershy exploits her and the overall theme. It'll be suicide for FIM.

2. The fandom doesn't own the show, and the fandom knows this. Hasbro, DHX, and IDW are entitled to what direction they might want to take, as long as it makes sense for both the optimistic roots of the franchise and Hasbro's bottom line. But they're not entitled to not have their decisions called out and questioned. Analysis is fun, but fandoms aren't hiveminds, and bronies aren't sheep. The brony fandom is no exception. If there's really terrible writing, like Rainbow Falls in the show and The Good, The Bad, and The Ponies in the IDW comics, they're not afraid to break down what went wrong piece by piece.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

I'd be really upset. No character deserves to die. I don't give a damn how much you dislike them. It would be a terrible idea and it would probably be near impossible to pull off without repercussions. 

• Brohoof 2

Yes, let's kill off the character that won The Hub's favorite pony poll, one of the major characters in the show who has helped provide countless memorable moments. I don't much care for these type of what if scenarios, because the answer is always the same - it would ruin the show for no reason. I don't care if you hate Fluttershy, the fact remains that she is a staple of the series, and with all that the show has established, it simply could not go on without her and still fare well. Nearly the entire fanbase would backlash harder than they did with Twilicorn and Equestria Girls combined. Not to mention stirrup a ton of controversy from concerned parents and young children alike who watch the program expecting good wholesome entertainment, not grim and depressing deaths of beloved major characters. And killing off such a wonderful character like Fluttershy, who is perhaps the most pure and innocent presence on the show, would accomplish.... what, exactly? Satisfy some warped desires of a vocal minority who despise her for stupidly unsound reasons?  :huh:

• Brohoof 4

it would be a daring move, and probably outside the realm of possibility for this children's show. I just don't think you would be able to pull off a tragic, well-developed plotline for killing fluttershy in a 30 minute episode. In a movie, there would be more possibilities, but again I think it would be to much for the target demographic to handle. We already have a very well put together episode about dealing with heavy grief that doesnt involve anybody dying. I will say that if that was a major plot point for the MLP movie, it could possibly work, if the movie was marking the end of the series. A storyline about how the bonds of friendship can extend beyond the grave would have the potential to be a awesome movie. Again, much care and attention must be made in consideration of the original target audience.