Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Fluttershy Died?

StabbedByANarwhal

The show would be better off without her. She holds back the entire group. A few shining moments of usefulness do not make up for how worthless she is as one of the element bearers.

• Brohoof 1

The show would be better off without her. She holds back the entire group. A few shining moments of usefulness do not make up for how worthless she is as one of the element bearers.

Fluttershy isn't worthless, none of them are.

Fluttershy the dragon tamer, the redeemer of villians, master of the almighty stare, has more than earned her place in the pantheon of harmony. Besides, her "worth" isn't really the point. The show is about friendship. I don't think people decide who their friends are based on what they're worth.

• Brohoof 9

You're objectively wrong.

1. Healed the manticore by pulling out the splinter.
  2. Cleaned up the Golden Oak Library to receive Twi's second ticket.
  3. After her friends were assaulted, Fluttershy scolded the dragon to the point of submission and convinced him to relocate.
  4. She chose to babysit the Cutie Mark Crusaders and risked her life to save them and Twilight Sparkle.
  5. Because she saw a sick bird, she brought him to her cottage to take care of him until he felt better.
  6. Countertrolled Discord; only she wasn't coerced.
  7. Corralled Rainbow Dash as she flew away from the ReMane Five, saving Pinkie and Rarity in the process.
  8. Punched her stage fright in the face and helped pull the rest of Ponyville's reservoir water to Cloudesdale.
  9. Became Discord's first friend.
  10. Contributed to the Equestria Games.
  11. Saw Starlight's disguised cutie mark and outed her.

And there's plenty more that I didn't mention yet.

Besides, like what @@Banul already said, this ain't about who's more useful than another. This is a show about friendship, and Fluttershy's just as much a friend as the rest of the ReMane Five. Combined with her being one of the most popular characters in the fandom, killing her off will be suicide for the show.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 9

I'm not even that big of a fan of Fluttershy, and honestly I'd hate to see that kind of thing happen. After all, Fluttershy is just as important to the Mane 6 as the rest are, and that would most likely make a huge impact on the show itself.

• Brohoof 3

The Elements of Harmony becomes unusable and Discord will go on a rampage. Equestria will be taken over in a couple of days.

Didn't know so much responsibilities was in Fluttershy's hooves 0.o

Edited by cider float

@@Banul,@@Dark Qiviut,

Sorry. I guess I got a little overzealous. I hate her as a person and I hate how she's used in the show. I don't feel like she benefits the show enough to be a main character.

I beg to differ....I think she benefits fully as a main character. Each of the mane 6 has their own personality and their own quirks and their own strength and weaknesses. To get rid of Fluttershy as a main character? That'd totally break up the whole harmony thing. It just wouldn't work without her. You need kindness, just like you need loyalty, generosity,laughter, honesty and magic... Together, they give each other strength and a lasting bond of friendship. She's there for her friends whenever possible. Without her, her friends would've been owned by that dragon in Dragonshy, Discord would probably be reigning chaos all over Equestria, and the rest of the mane 6 just might've been all turned into Equality ponies, under ruling of Starlight Glimmer. Rainbow wouldn't of gotten to participate in the Equestria games if it wasn't for Fluttershy..(and bulk biceps of course) But as Banul said previously,  the show is about friendship...not how useful somepony is.

Yea, she has her faults, but no character is perfect. the faults is what allows room for development of that character...If the characters didn't have their faults, the show would get stale pretty fast.

I honestly don't get how so many people hate on Fluttershy...I mean, there's characters I'm not that fond of, but I dont hate them. How can someone hate on somepony that's so kind? :kindness:

• Brohoof 5

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There would be HELL to pay - and I would be the bill collector!  *cocks shotgun*

I beg to differ....I think she benefits fully as a main character. Each of the mane 6 has their own personality and their own quirks and their own strength and weaknesses. To get rid of Fluttershy as a main character? That'd totally break up the whole harmony thing. It just wouldn't work without her. You need kindness, just like you need loyalty, generosity,laughter, honesty and magic... Together, they give each other strength and a lasting bond of friendship. She's there for her friends whenever possible. Without her, her friends would've been owned by that dragon in Dragonshy, Discord would probably be reigning chaos all over Equestria, and the rest of the mane 6 just might've been all turned into Equality ponies, under ruling of Starlight Glimmer. Rainbow wouldn't of gotten to participate in the Equestria games if it wasn't for Fluttershy..(and bulk biceps of course) But as Banul said previously,  the show is about friendship...not how useful somepony is.

Yea, she has her faults, but no character is perfect. the faults is what allows room for development of that character...If the characters didn't have their faults, the show would get stale pretty fast.

I honestly don't get how so many people hate on Fluttershy...I mean, there's characters I'm not that fond of, but I dont hate them. How can someone hate on somepony that's so kind? :kindness:

My problem with Fluttershy extends to her being such a coward. It goes beyond mere social anxiety and paranoia. She's a complete pushover, to the point that she will do whatever people will tell her so long as they're pushy enough about it. All of the episodes where she improves on that are irrelevant because the next episode after that she's back to being the doormat.

This also goes into a dependency issue. She got lucky with Discord. If she tried that sort of "Oh yes, I'm very weak" tactic with any of the other villains she would have been obliterated.

The show in general may be about friendship but that doesn't excuse them for bringing such a weak person into battle. At that point it is about usefulness and the only reason she survives anything is because of convenient storytelling. She's also now a member of a royal court and how useful she is will be a huge factor.

She's the type of person who I personally would get sick of dealing with on a daily basis because of her entire lack of improvement.

I admit that a lot of my problem is with how she's handled in the show. She's a victim of the writers' whims and flips back and forth all the time whenever they want her to. If I ever met a person like her in real life they would do nothing but piss me off.

• Brohoof 1

Pro tip:

Objectively means something that is based on pure facts. So you may want to avoid using it when talking about a fictional show and discussing a point that is a matter of opinion. In a fictional universe there are no concrete "facts" because it's not real. It is in his opinion she is useless, therefore there can be no "objectively" wrong or right.

1. Healed the manticore by pulling out the splinter.
  2. Cleaned up the Golden Oak Library to receive Twi's second ticket.
  3. After her friends were assaulted, Fluttershy scolded the dragon to the point of submission and convinced him to relocate.
  4. She chose to babysit the Cutie Mark Crusaders and risked her life to save them and Twilight Sparkle.
  5. Because she saw a sick bird, she brought him to her cottage to take care of him until he felt better.
  6. Countertrolled Discord; only she wasn't coerced.
  7. Corralled Rainbow Dash as she flew away from the ReMane Five, saving Pinkie and Rarity in the process.
  8. Punched her stage fright in the face and helped pull the rest of Ponyville's reservoir water to Cloudesdale.
  9. Became Discord's first friend.
  10. Contributed to the Equestria Games.
  11. Saw Starlight's disguised cutie mark and outed her.

And there's plenty more that I didn't mention yet.

Besides, like what @@Banul already said, this ain't about who's more useful than another. This is a show about friendship, and Fluttershy's just as much a friend as the rest of the ReMane Five. Combined with her being one of the most popular characters in the fandom, killing her off will be suicide for the show.

Many of these supposed points do not exactly prove usefulness or exceptional value. For starters many of these things could have simply been performed by many of the main cast without Fluttershy's assistance. Some of them are also not showcasing her element very well.

1. Removing a splinter is hardly healing. That and there is always the possibility that someone else could have removed it and to top that off, its removal wasn't central to their advancement. They could have just as easily defeated the creature and carried onwards.
  2. This is not an example of kindness actually. She wished to clean the library because she was trying to butter Twilight up to receive said ticket. That isn't exactly an act of kindness, it's more or less bribery.
  3. Which was laughable writing at best. I think our friend's point is that when Fluttershy "does" help it comes off as very forced and I would have to agree. A dragon that did not fear being kicked in the face, the magic of unicorns or the other characters at all is simply intimidated by a stare and the yells of a quiet girl. This also is partially relevant to Fluttershy as a character in terms of entertainment. Many people could in their opinion feel that Fluttershy breaking her character archetype in a very cliched and stereotypical way is uncreative writing. The shy girl sometimes has moments where she becomes the polar opposite of her normal demeanor. I would say that many people can find that to be in their opinion boring and lazy writing.
  4. Ironically Twilight would never have been in danger had Fluttershy been able to admit she could not handle the 3 of them in the first place.
  5. Whom she also took without permission. In the end that ended up just being a waste of time because had she asked in the first place she would have seen there was no need. So she effectively proved she is excellent at wasting time due to a lack of foresight.
  6. This could be attributed to her being so simple minded that it was impossible to fool her. Can't fool a fool so to speak. It doesn't necessarily show her usefulness or superiority, if anything, it shows she is so stupid she isn't even capable of being brainwashed due to lack of brain power.
  7. Adrenaline rush. Not to mention another example of the cliche of the shy girl having outbursts of extreme anger. Same joke rewrapped over and over in different packages.
  8. And yet she still contributed a very small amount of wing power, thus further proving her uselessness. She is only able to help them by a small margin which just so happened to be the minimum of what they needed. She was not able to improve much at all despite all of her training, thus showing she also lacks aptitude for physical activity, yet another skill she fails to possess.
  9. And? Becoming friends with Discord seemed to have caused the cast more trouble than help. Sure he's helped them out of a jam here and there, but not after causing more problems himself.
  10. So did all the others.
  11. Such a discovery had little to do with Fluttershy herself, she just happened to be the one to see it. Nothing about Fluttershy being Fluttershy was central to that discovery, it could have happened to anyone.

That being said, your points are all subjective. They are not concrete evidence of anything as anyone with a different opinion could interpret them differently as I just demonstrated. It's all a matter of how you look at it as there is really few "wrong" ways to look at it since it's a fictional world and we are talking about enjoying a character or not enjoying a character. You really need to be careful in saying things like "objectively wrong" as you are making bold claims then.

That being said killing off a fan favorite character would not inherently kill off the show. Many series have eliminated popular characters and had great success as it gets people talking about the show. Controversy sells, thus it would not inherently hurt the show. The only fans that would be lost are the ones who can't handle the fact that they don't control the show and thus the show and that the writers don't adhere to their will.

Many popular shows have killed off fan favorite characters and found it to be wildly successful moves.

Edited by Guest

Death in the show neednt be within the mane characters, and it really ought not ta be.

It's already established that they do die, but any death in-show should be in the background.

If they did this, the show would feel wrong somehow.

How would you react if Fluttershy died in the newest episode of the MLP series?

Like a tragic death.

ifpw87.jpg

nooo....However,at the same time, I would have been "fascinated"  by this "dark side" of MLP.

• Brohoof 1

Equestria would be absolutely fucked.

If the world lost one sixth of the Elements of Harmony, then there's practically nothing holding back the villains. That's before season 4's finale. After? Ponies across the world would be extremely depressed, losing somepony that helped save the entire planet multiple times. Ponies would riot. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.

Not to mention what would happen to the fandom. We'd rip each other, Hasbro, and whoever the writer of that episode would be to pieces.

My problem with Fluttershy extends to her being such a coward. It goes beyond mere social anxiety and paranoia. She's a complete pushover, to the point that she will do whatever people will tell her so long as they're pushy enough about it. All of the episodes where she improves on that are irrelevant because the next episode after that she's back to being the doormat.

I dunno; in Castle Sweet Castle, she had enough of a spine to passive-agressively tell Pinkie exactly why her animals were getting mad and popping Pinkie's balloons.  That seemed like a hint of character development to me.

Then again...she was an utter wimp in the episode where Trixie took over Ponyville, whimpering to her birds she wished she had her teddy bear...I guess I could chalk that up to her being extra-terrified of Trixie (emotions are things that have ups and downs, after all), but it also hinted at a reset-button of Fluttershy's character development after Putting Your Hoof Down, too.

Equestria would be absolutely fucked.

If the world lost one sixth of the Elements of Harmony, then there's practically nothing holding back the villains. That's before season 4's finale. After? Ponies across the world would be extremely depressed, losing somepony that helped save the entire planet multiple times. Ponies would riot. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.

Not to mention what would happen to the fandom. We'd rip each other, Hasbro, and whoever the writer of that episode would be to pieces.

Maybe the fandom dissolving and dying would be a good thing then. This is one of the few fandoms that seems to not be able to handle the fact that they don't write the show and that the show creators will make choices that they may not agree with. I love Doctor Who, and hate Stephen Moffat, but I don't get all pissed off that the show runner makes choices I wouldn't make. If anything it stops predictability.