Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is crying a sign of weakness or strength?

Sugar Pea

In my opinion, this is a dumb question. Human emotions are far too complicated for it just to be these two arbitrary 'signs'. Why does it have to be a 'sign' of anything? To me, it is a 'sign' of human emotion, that's it.

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion, this is a dumb question. Human emotions are far too complicated for it just to be these two arbitrary 'signs'. Why does it have to be a 'sign' of anything? To me, it is a 'sign' of human emotion, that's it.

Well if that's how you feel about it, cool. But the majority seem to put their feelings into categories, and this thread is to see if they think it is a sign of one being weak, or a sign of someone becoming a wiser and better person for expressing this emotion. Just as simple as that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think it's really neither, at least not by itself.

Crying is typically a decompression. Emotions, particularly sorrow, guilt, and grief, have run so high that the person needs to let it out of their system. So one is typically not in the best of places when they are crying. It's a moment of weakness, but that doesn't mean the person is weak.

Everypony has a breaking point, no matter how far that may be.

Best]way to make something sad in a show/movie into something horrible:
img-2483467-1-1962742_623385737714701_36

Oh not that scene!  :(

"It's raining . . . ."

"Yes it is, Sir."

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

In my opinion, it's not about crying, but about the reasons why you cry.

Besides, it's just a natural reaction and something rather individual. Women can cry more often due to hormones and men usually try to hide their tears thanks to (sometimes very stupid) cultural differences. People react differently.

Crying portrays neither strength nor weakness, only emotion, either happy or sad or anxious etc

People cry, don't judge them for it!

No judgement here, sir. Only points of views from opposing sides willing to tell their opinions left and right. Nothing more...but if someone were to step up and basically insult those who do pick one side over the other, than there will be a problem. Not to worry though. :3

• Brohoof 1

No judgement here, sir. Only points of views from opposing sides willing to tell their opinions left and right. Nothing more...but if someone were to step up and basically insult those who do pick one side over the other, than there will be a problem. Not to worry though. :3

I didn't mean this topic, or anypony in particular, just people as a whole

Hmm...I guess it really depends on the situation. People cry, and that's a natural thing. Don't ever let anyone tell you that "grown men don't cry", because I'm a grown man, and I balled like a baby when I seen Twilight Sparkle become a Princess.

Crying is a sign of emotion, it is our physical display of our feeling, it is coming to an acceptance with a way you feel. It can be a bold statement about how strongly you feel for somepony or something, or you can be weak to a situation at hand that is inducing an emotional response. 

• Brohoof 1

I think it's a sign of delicious tears.

But seriously,

I understand this is about "having the strength to not be ashamed of crying"?

As far as I'm concerned, you can both push and pull things - but both require strength.

If you just let the object coast down a slippery slope, there is no strength involved....

• Brohoof 1

Well, my mother... she would get upset, feel insulted whenever I would feel a negative emotion. It was forbidden to me to feel anger, sadness.

The result, I cannot show these emotions properly, they are stuck inside me. And when I show them, they come out very strong. How awesome.

My mom calls me a f*ggot (in Spanish) any time I tear up, so I was kind of raised to feel like it was a sign of weakness.

I always wondered what'd it be like to enjoy a good cry. I bet it feels nice.

It's sad. Some parents are stuck in the "Crying makes you a wuss" stereotype/generalization. 

A loss is meant to make you stronger, even if you've gotta shed some tears through it. I'm 20 years old. Does that mean when I cry I'm a wuss? Hay no! I've heard of brawny guys shed tears when things aren't right. Everyone, and everyone has a right to cry. 

This topic is one of the many with no correct or wrong answer. This is all a matter of point of view.

I've cried during movies, songs, and my friends funeral.

It is not weak to value life. Guess this movie quote to brighten things up a bit.

I used to never cry and feel really good about the fact, lol.

Now, being put through a lot more, I tend to cry way more, but I always feel better afterwards.

In that way I think it could be either/or, depending on how you look at it.

Of course, if it's a situation such as, you're 25 and cry over having to go to work, a customer calls you a name, your friend is too busy to hang out etc. I think it's a little silly and probably pretty weak.

In that way I think it could be either/or, depending on how you look at it.

Of course, if it's a situation such as, you're 25 and cry over having to go to work, a customer calls you a name, your friend is too busy to hang out etc. I think it's a little silly and probably pretty weak.

This is my opinion exactly. If you gotta cry, you gotta cry.

Depends what you're crying over breh.

"Someone online called me a mean name!" Suck it up, yo. Not everyone is going to like you/people are dicks. That's life and there's no need to cry over it.

If something legit bad happens... a death/long term breakup, yeah it's normal to cry. But I wouldn't say it's a sign of "strength" ya know?

Crying is a sign that you're human. Nothing more.

It shows you're a person who feels, just like everyone else, and it is in no way a bad thing.

I always thought that it is more cowardly to bottle up your emotions and push them down instead of facing them.

Anyone who tells you that you're weak for crying is weak themself, in my opinion. Just because they're incapable of accepting their own emotions doesn't mean that they should put someone else down because they can.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on what causes you to cry. If someone insults you, you don't have to cry it's not that serious. Crying is neither a weakness nor a strength, it conveys emotion.

It depends what you are crying about, if you feel sorry for yourself and are crying because of that then that may be a sign of weakness, however if you cry for others then that can be a sign of strength and compassion.