Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do bronies think that they are "manly" ... ?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Are you even a Brony?

And uh, hello. It's a joke.

Also it's manly to not to stick what society tells you to do.

This...

And also this...

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 3

Well, some bronies are manly. If you work hard to provide things to the people you love and see yourself as a protector of society's safety, that makes you manly.

And if you don't do those things...well...watching Monday Night Football with a Budweiser is a decent substitute. :comeatus:

Wait.... Watching a girls show isn't manly? WHAT WORLD ARE WE LIVING IN???

Oh my god, You use my fucking avatar! HOW DARE YOU (goes and changes it to something else)

And how is it not manly! FiM = Friendship is Manly, Right...? RIGHT?

I'm not manly in the slightest. I'm actually very feminine for a male, especially a Texan male, where being macho is the thing. I admit to as much.

However, there's plenty of manly bronies just as there are ones like me. There's some that are military veterans, policemen, paramedics, etc. 

So there are some manly bronies, just like there are some girly bronies. Not much else to say other than there's a massive stereotype going on here :D

• Brohoof 2

Much of it is a response to haters and trolls but in my humble opinion it is not watching MLP that makes a guy manly but having the balls to admit it and not give a damn what anyone thinks about it.

• Brohoof 2

I think most people say it as a joke, or at least i hope they do.

Whether bronies are or are not manly however, well, that depends entirely on the brony of course! We're a big fandom, ranging from majorly masculine to fully feminine, crisscrossing gender and sex and what it means to be a man, woman, or whatever else you are. Really, i think that's what bronies are more than anything, challengers of gender in all its societal facets, and it's beautiful :D

I don't think anybody really thinks that being a brony makes them manlier in some way. And if they do, they're delusional. xD

However, the general non-brony populous tends to think the opposite: that watching a TV show obviously meant for little girls (though the writers have always had the enjoyment of everybody in mind) somehow makes us less manly than we once were. And this just simply isn't the case. I think that, when bronies say things like, "MLP IS THE MANLIEST THING EVER", that's just an overreactive and sarcastic response to the wrong opinion of non-bronies. But if they just say something like, "I'm a brony, but that doesn't make me any less of a man", then yeah, that's completely true. Watching a show meant for little gir no, for everyone to enjoy... That doesn't make you less masculine.

At one time pink was a masculine colour, the definition of masculinity and femininity has changed with history, and in a lot of ways bronies do things that others would consider "Manly", me for example I am a military brony, I have done and see things people consider tough, but the military softened me up a lot, so I am more sensitive than I use to be, yet going into combat nor training made us men, it was the courage to admit when we were afraid, and what we though of the mission, so to me the test of manly strength is expressing who you really are, as opposed to the haters to rigidly comply with gender stereotypes, thus it is our deeds that make us men or women, not what we watch, wear or speak.   

• Brohoof 3

What does it mean to be a guy?  What does it mean to be manly?

Actually this question is at the heart of the fandom and it's something that some people wrestle with a lot.  When people say that the candy colored horses are manly, my best guess is that they are affirming the fact that they are watching a little girls' show but that they are secure enough in their manliness and heterosexuality (or whatever you choose to identify yourself as) that it doesn't matter to them.  That's why, in the early days of the fandom, you saw a lot of people saying stuff like "I am X years old and I LOVE PONIES!"

For me, being a brony doesn't make me manly.  What makes me manly is having a career, being on track to success, being able to take charge of a situation and own my failures as well as my triumphs.  I have a comfortable circle of friends, eat steak, drink beer, and shoot other peoples' virtual avatars in Call of Duty.  So yeah, I could say that I'm pretty manly.  Girls can be pretty manly too when you think about it; one of my female coworkers, in my platoon, is probably more manly than some of the guys I've met both in and out of the Army.

• Brohoof 2

I'm surprised that anyone actually gives a damn. We're all technically outcasts in the public eye anyway? Why should we care about a few feeble labels that others say we should live up to when we are defiance itself?! >:3

• Brohoof 1