Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do bronies think that they are "manly" ... ?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Are you saying there are some who claim they're manly because they watch MLP? If so, they're most definitely being tongue-in-cheek about it.

What I like about this joke is that there's a much deeper irony to be found; namely, it satirizes the (very ludicrous) idea that anything you watch could have any sort of effect on your inherent sense of masculinity or femininity. "Herp-de-derp, I watches teh footballz, therefore I is MAAAAAAANREEEEEEE!"

If you think about it, that's just as braindead a sentiment as claiming that watching MLP makes you manly (OR girly), isn't it?

Edited by The Thrashy One
  • Brohoof 5

Oh, you listen to society i see. Don't. Society is what will bring this world down.

When girls like manly things, it does not make them manly.

When men like girly things, it makes them girly? A common term used by haters is "gay".

That is what society says.

What do I say to society?

"You can take that logic and put it where the sun don't shine"

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised that anyone actually gives a damn. We're all technically outcasts in the public eye anyway? Why should we care about a few feeble labels that others say we should live up to when we are defiance itself?! >:3

That. ^ All THAT. And then some.

• Brohoof 1

I think anyone claiming so loudly that it's manly to watch MLP is doing so in jest or irony.

I prefer to think of it as being "secure". I'm secure enough with my sense of self that I watch My Little Pony, I enjoy watching it, and I don't care what other people think. I'm secure enough as a man to wear a shirt with ponies on it. Hay, I've been secure enough in the past to wear pink.

Being comfortable enough to enjoy the things you do, regardless of what others think, and secure enough to say so - THAT'S manly!

• Brohoof 1

I was raised that the definition of being manly was not hitting women and children, not allowing a vice to control your life, always be neighborly, be understanding of others opinion, not being a push over, always provide for your family, and learn about everything you can ...

My Dad never said nothin' about 'don't watch cartoons about pink ponies'.

Because I know how to fix my car without consulting a manual does not make me 'manly'. Because I LOVE seeing my Eagles win against a division rival does not make me 'manly'. Having a shaved head does not make me manly. My enjoyment of Guinness does not make be 'manly'.  These are all just things I do. They do not define me nor do they define me ideal self.

This question is also not accurate. Enjoying My Little Pony shouldn't define or diminish what you feel about yourself. I have never heard anyone say, "My love for Fluttershy makes me manly." I have seen this, "Just because I like this show does not mean I'm not manly."

World of difference.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 3

I think the perception of what is and isn't manly is very subjective and would differ from person to person. It's all a matter of opinion and I personally wouldn't give a hoot if you call me girly or manly. 

Because we want to participate in a world were dragons are real, wood can form it's self into wolves, rocks can become river crocodiles, magical gods of chaos roam free, Lucifer herself reigns again alongside her sister. There are a winged people that litterally manufacture storms and hurricanes, and should they go wrong they can create a world ending storm. Were magic is commanplace, and can turn you into a newborn again in the blink of an eye. Were there live Xenomorphs that live off of your very emotions and energy, killing you loved ones and taking their shape and form to feed off your positive emotions.

post-23625-0-11197200-1398708059_thumb.jpg

Because given a little context, Eqeustria is metal as fuck.

... if they are watching a girls' show?

... because one show isn't the end all, be all of our existence? 

Would a girl be unfeminine if she liked *one* boyish thing? 

I can't say for certain whether or not watching My Little Pony makes on manly, but if it did...

We'd have a lot of manly little girls running around if that was the case. I don't know about you, but walking through the store and seeing a bunch of little girls with mustaches and football jerseys on would be surreal.

... if they are watching a girls' show?

Largely because, unlike the general population, they are brave enough to associate themselves with what they believe is right and virtuous.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think masculinity has to do with what you're into or not into. Being a "man" really doesn't define anything you do, just your basic gender. You're free to be gay, straight, like purple, do Pilates, drink beer, fix cars, it really doesn't matter.

Women do the same only backwards, drive trucks, drink beer, weight lift etc. So really, there are no lines to what is or isn't masculine/feminine, it's just activities you can do if you should so choose to do them.

I am a man because I say I am, because  I own being a man. There are men who want to be women, then they're acknowledging they're no longer a man and do not wish to be considered as such. No problemo, same goes for females who wish to be male. Who's making all these rules here?

• Brohoof 2

Not all bronies think they're manly, but some might. But how "manly" someone thinks they are is completely independent as to whether they like MLP. Although, it is true that most male bronies are not overly feminine. But that's just because most males are not overly feminine. So I guess to answer your question, it's not that bronies think they're manly, it's that most bronies are manly, because of the fact that most bronies are average, straight men, many with "manly" interests just like other men; they just happen to like MLP as well.

• Brohoof 2

It's meant to be a joke. Don't worry about it. (although i find those mlp = manly jokes to be 'so bad they're good'...) :P

But I will say this. First off, I don't like to think that FiM is a girl's show. It always has been a show for everyone, regardless of their age and gender, and it always will be. c:

Secondly, gender roles don't exist. It's just a stupid term made by society who always expect men and women to be manly and girly, respectively. It's kind of sad that a fair amount of people believe in this sort of stuff, since no one is a bad person if they like something that's 'unusual' for their gender. If a man likes ponies or a girl likes cars, let them be! :P

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Because you need to be pretty damn self-confident and sure about your masculinity to watch a show considered "girly" (though it's no more) and not being scared that your masculinity will be damaged by that perhaps?

BTW someone recently mentioned anti-Brony spies lurking at these forums. Seems like we have one?...

Edited by SasQ

(edited)

Sawk, I totally agree with you. I think for me, and probably for a lot of bronies, when I started watching it, I thought of it as a "girl's show," but now I don't at all. Males liking the show has become such a normal concept for me that it doesn't seem like a "girly show" at all, it just seems like a show. And when I see MLP merchandise at stores, I don't think, what are people going to think of me if I buy some of this, I just don't even care cause the ponies don't seem unmanly to me. So "manly" and "girly" are socially constructed ideas, absolutely. The idea that men are, on average, stronger and have higher levels of aggression than women has to do with biology and could be taken as a scientific hypothesis, but men not liking pink things and rainbows and ponies but girls liking them instead? That's just a socially constructed idea and, obviously, isn't true.

Edited by Cork Top
  • Brohoof 1

It's because we have enough confidence in our masculinity to like a show that has been labeled by the society as "girlish."

• Brohoof 1

I think the only thing manly about watching MLP is not caring what others say about you.

That sums up perfectly what I was going to say.  :)  By watching MLP we know a cartoon doesn't innately change our personalities.  It also means we're willing to think for ourselves and not let "society" dictate every little thing we do. 

• Brohoof 1