Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do some Bronies get extreme in defending their waifus?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

For instance, Brony X claims Fluttershy as his waifu. Brony Y does the same thing. Brony X threatens Brony Y to fight. A brawl ensues, with the poor pony fleeing from both bronies.

Now replace Brony Y with Flash Sentry, so-called "waifu thief/stealer". The "crime"? Falling in love with Twilight Sparkle ... in a CANON (Canterlot High) setting, althought the shipping itself was not even realized.

If I were in Brony Y's shoes, I'd happily surrender my waifu over to my rival, even if she will be shedding fountains of tears for this.

Can you help me comprehend on how come bronies aggresively defend their waifus, attacking whoever who "steals" them?

• Brohoof 4

Just because one is a brony doesn't mean they are immune to egotism.

Insecure egotists whose waifus are 'taken' from them feel emasculated and will pretty much bear a grudge and throw a childish fit, this goes for any fandom. It can happen between best friends too, because god forbids in a community of millions, they aren't gonna come across someone else with a similar passion for their favorite pastel-colored pony.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

DragonStoleMyWaifu.png;)

Can you show any particular example of Bronies behaving like that, and not being just humorous? Because this seems to me as a huge and ungrounded generalization: I, for one, don't do that and I'm a Brony.

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 3

... most of the occurences are just the people being, or attempting to be, humourous.

Yeah, that's generally my observation as well. I do know of one guy who supposedly got very angry and defensive over his Waifu, however he's quite well known in the fandom and not really representative of your average Brony - even the "weirder" ones.

(edited)

1.) That has nothing to do with being a Brony.

2.) The majority of people I've seen with a waifu aren't like that at all in that situation when it comes to other people. 

3.) I don't "attack," I "defend." If someone is unjustly criticizing or flat out attacking my waifu, I defend her from that nonsense. Simple as that. 

4.) I can't speak for Flash, but the main reason I hate Trenderhoof is because of how ignorant and neglectful he was of Rarity, not because Rarity was starstruck for him. He was awful to her and totally shoved her aside to pretty much harass and stalk her best friend. I found that to be really scummy. 

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 9

Well, the only case of aggressive fan for stealing their waifu, is Flash Sentry's case, I mean, yes, some of the main reasons he's so hated, is because of being generic and he didn't participate much in the plot of EG, but "HE STOLE TWILY, MY WAIFU) is also pretty common. Well, I wouldn't mind if someone takes my waifu, it's not like I can marry a fictional character in the first place  :lol:

For instance, Brony X claims Fluttershy as his waifu. Brony Y does the same thing. Brony X threatens Brony Y to fight. A brawl ensues, with the poor pony fleeing from both bronies.

Now replace Brony Y with Flash Sentry, so-called "waifu thief/stealer". The "crime"? Falling in love with Twilight Sparkle ... in a CANON (Canterlot High) setting, althought the shipping itself was not even realized.

If I were in Brony Y's shoes, I'd happily surrender my waifu over to my rival, even if she will be shedding fountains of tears for this.

Can you help me comprehend on how come bronies aggresively defend their waifus, attacking whoever who "steals" them?

wait i thought the whole waifu thing was a joke about someone claiming a pony. People actually are serious about waifus?

..I learn something new everyday!

It's a pretty rare case that people are actually serious when they're talking about that sort of thing. Complaints about Flash Sentry, while still largely lulzy, weren't primarily founded on the 'waifu' argument.

And for the minority that do take it seriously, hey. Whatever floats their boat.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

img-2638378-1-DragonStoleMyWaifu.png;)

Can you show any particular example of Bronies behaving like that, and not being just humorous? Because this seems to me as a huge and ungrounded generalization: I, for one, don't do that and I'm a Brony.

one word: jin. (aka. the guy who wrote the nasty letter to kevinsano.) Edited by looking glass

(edited)

The waifu concept has been around long before the brony fandom and is far from being unique to it and the reasons are basically the same why anyone with a waifu from any fandom would act that way. People developing crushes on characters is something that happens all the time and for the most part it is harmless but there is always going to be a small number of people that will act that way. Love is complicated and sometimes has heart break and dissapointment but with a waifu they can pretty much do whatever you want them to do but the idea of someone "stealing" someone waifu is to some of these people as if someone were trying to steal their actual romantic partner. Many of these people have experienced heart break and want love and companionship but just haven't had much luck with that so turn to waifus to fill that.

Some of them go so far to fill this emotional need that they actually believe to be in a relationship with said waifu and there all sorts of opinions about "tulpas" and manifestations of spirits of said waifus to explain why they are not physically present. Among some who share the same waifu there are even beliefs that others who have the same waifu simply have a different version of said waifu from another dimension. But not every that has a waifu necessarily will take it that far though, some of them just have a really strong crush on said character and recognize that said character may not exist but so want a partner with similar traits which is completely understandable. I myself fall into the latter rather than the former even if I may sometimes play along a bit. Since I have joined My Little Waifu which is a pony waifu forum I have run into people which do fit those other categories though. At first I was a bit disturbed at it and harshly judged it, but though my feelings are now a bit mixed on it, most of the people there are actually nice people even if alot of them take the waifu concept much farther than I do.

jealousy issues don't even to begin to describe him.

Since I joined Red Light Ponyville forums I have gotten to know Jin a bit, it was immediately apparent that he really really likes Twilight but I had no idea  he was that same guy until I saw him reference it. From what I have seen of Jin, he has quite the past with jealousy and possessiveness issues and does deserve a lot of the criticism he has gotten over that but he has calmed down considerably from that. He does sometimes get a bit defensive though when you say or imply that Twilight dosen't exist as I found out after he made a somewhat snarky remarks about him and Twilight sharing a laugh when I said that I would date Applejack if she existed. He is still somewhat possessive but I do have to give him some credit for improving.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 3

If I've said it once, I've said it a million time...

"Boys are weird..."  :eww:

Although I hear you say the same about us...

Lol :lol:^_^:yay:

Well, I've seen girls raging over anime characters as their husbandos (male equivalent of waifus, in case you don't know), so don't think that we are the only weirdos around here  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

one word: jin

One word, and one person. Not much a representative group (not even a group!) for the whole fandom.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I've seen girls raging over anime characters as their husbandos (male equivalent of waifus, in case you don't know), so don't think that we are the only weirdos around here  :lol:

I know. I was trying to be silly; but sarcasm can be hard to type :(

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a whole ton of this. It could just be the type of people I run into, but at least among Rarity fans, I don't see a whole lot of silly infighting over "waifus". We're more likely to bond together in our support of the character and become one giant cheerleading squad than fight over who likes her best.

And that's kind of what I'm picking up for the other characters and their respective fanbases here as well.

• Brohoof 3

I know. I was trying to be silly; but sarcasm can be hard to type :(

Any type of emotion is hard to translate in text, I for once, I answered a post in life advice with capitals, but in my mindset, I was communicating loudly, the same way when I'm happy and joking with my  friends, but he thought I was being an asshole.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say its ridiculous. It's a bit farther than I'd go, but it isn't ridiculous.

Honestly, I kinda wish I had the mental capacity to believe such a thing. If I could convince myself that I'm in a relationship with a magical, fictional, brightly colored pony... it would lighten my day. I'd be a much happier person if I had that sort of comfort and companionship, even if it's only imaginary.

Isn't that right, Twilie? C'mon, let's go get some pony chow before it gets too dark. You can get back to your writing in a little bit. I'm sure Celestia wouldn't mind.

• Brohoof 4

wait i thought the whole waifu thing was a joke about someone claiming a pony. People actually are serious about waifus?

..I learn something new everyday!

i take it you never heard of otakus?