Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls is no longer canon!

Forlong

I thought EQG was already proven to be canon by the writers tweets...

...why are people so up tight on trying to get EQG to be proven non-canon...

EQG didn't prevent DBZ-style fighting or Pony communists.

EQG gave us Siren teams and female Dimentios.

Therefore, EQG being canon doesn't bother me at all.

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, Ariel Schnee said:

EQG is canon. In the season 7 finale of MLP it shows Starswirl and the other Pillars banishing the Sirens. So it's canon and happened.

that depends if it is or it is not. most say that they consider EQG as a canon but the other majority do not consider it.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:56 AM, Van123 said:

that depends if it is or it is not. most say that they consider EQG as a canon but the other majority do not consider it.

Too bad, it is objectively canon to the series.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Too bad, it is objectively canon to the series.

NO, IT'S NOT CANON BECAUSE IS MY HEADCANON. AND YOU MUST THINK ALIKE OR I'LL BE OFFENDED :angry: . Kidding aside, glad that debate got thrown out the window

• Brohoof 2

50 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

NO, IT'S NOT CANON BECAUSE IS MY HEADCANON. AND YOU MUST THINK ALIKE OR I'LL BE OFFENDED :angry: . Kidding aside, glad that debate got thrown out the window

But now I hope we see more of the EQG canon. For example, I like a mention of the memory stone in season 8.

• 3 years later...

I, in no way shape or form, consider Equestria Girls canon to Friendship is Magic. The way I see it, if the events of EQG were canon, they would brought up frequently due to it featuring a portal to another dimension with human-like inhabitants using modern technology, things that no pony had ever seen before. Considering it wasn't ever brought up however, I stand by that Equestria Girls never actually happened in FiM's canon. If some want to believe that EQG is canon, then they are free to believe that, just as I am free to believe that it isn't canon. Thankfully the events of EQG were never actually mentioned or referenced the series, allowing viewers to choose for themselves whether or not it is canon. If EQG was mentioned in FiM however, it would almost force viewers of FiM to watch EQG, whether they wanted to or not, along with affecting the pony series in an unfortunate way. I am very glad that the writers chose to not force EQG as canon.

I really want to know why would the staff implement characters like Sunset, Flash, and The Dazzlings to FiM? Personally, I rather keep the universe separate instead of combing together. Granted, no one's forcing you to watch EQG, but still.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Landi said:

I, in no way shape or form, consider Equestria Girls canon to Friendship is Magic. The way I see it, if the events of EQG were canon, they would brought up frequently due to it featuring a portal to another dimension with human-like inhabitants using modern technology, things that no pony had ever seen before. Considering it wasn't ever brought up however, I stand by that Equestria Girls never actually happened in FiM's canon. If some want to believe that EQG is canon, then they are free to believe that, just as I am free to believe that it isn't canon. Thankfully the events of EQG were never actually mentioned or referenced the series, allowing viewers to choose for themselves whether or not it is canon. If EQG was mentioned in FiM however, it would almost force viewers of FiM to watch EQG, whether they wanted to or not, along with affecting the pony series in an unfortunate way. I am very glad that the writers chose to not force EQG as canon.

6 hours ago, JMTV99 said:

I really want to know why would the staff implement characters like Sunset, Flash, and The Dazzlings to FiM? Personally, I rather keep the universe separate instead of combing together. Granted, no one's forcing you to watch EQG, but still.

Yep. Exactly my opinion too. :proud:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, LonelyYugi said:

Sunset has a cameo in the last episode.

4lEVS4Z.jpg

Sorry haters, but Equestria Girls is canon.

How's that confirmation? They only did that because the entire generation was wrapping up. 

• Brohoof 2

EQG was never canon (to FiM).  The influence between the two series was only ever in one direction, FiM had an impact on the events of the EQG films but nothing that happened in EQG was ever referred in FiM with the exception of the overall shared lore.  There was always an effort made to keep EQG at arms length from FiM.

In before "but someone said on twitter that..."  It doesn't matter what the writers say on social media, canon comes from the events in-universe, not from social media, if they didn't write it into the series itself, then it didn't happen.

• Brohoof 2

My idea of G4 canon is something I like to call PonyVerse, similar to the universe of Marvel or DC. Everything in G4 MLP media is canon until it gets contradicted or "contradicted", replacing old canon with new canon. It doesn't matter if the new information is consistent with the old information or not, because the new information overrides the old information. And if that sounds ludicrous, trust me, you're more familiar with the concept than you think (especially if you keep up with the news). You could see Hasbro reboot Equestria Girls and call it canon tomorrow the same way you could see them call the Season 10 comic canon tomorrow regardless of what they've said in the past. Despite what they've said in the past, why would they not want the latest entry in the franchise to be canon? There's no incentive for them to cling to an old narrative if the new narrative allows them to market something new. ;) 

Canon debates are largely inconsequential because the unfortunate reality is that it's not us calling the shots. Even if we theoretically were the deciders of what was canon or not, IT WOULDN'T BE FUN. WE WOULD BE FIGHTING FOR AGES. That's why I like the concept of PonyVerse where everything is canon unless it receives an update or "update". Even if I despise the new canon, it can always be replaced, and old canon that is obviously integral to the franchise will never be replaced. Of course one would prefer a thoroughly consistent canon, but we've never had that with MLP, life is cruel. :maud:  

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

How's that confirmation? They only did that because the entire generation was wrapping up. 

07hrR9Y.png

Also the sirens appear in a flashback in Shadow Play Part 2.

Equestria Girls is canon canon canon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, LonelyYugi said:

Also the sirens appear in a flashback in Shadow Play Part 2.

Equestria Girls is canon canon canon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sirens existence doesn't necessarily make EQG canon. One could easily say that the portal didn't lead to the Equestria Girls dimension but rather some other dimension of sorts. It's not like Twilight ever mentioned fighting the sirens at any point in the series.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Landi said:

The sirens existence doesn't necessarily make EQG canon. One could easily say that the portal didn't lead to the Equestria Girls dimension but rather some other dimension of sorts. It's not like Twilight ever mentioned fighting the sirens at any point in the series.

Now you're just nitpicking.

Equestria Girls is canon. Why is that so hard to accept?

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, LonelyYugi said:

Now you're just nitpicking.

Equestria Girls is canon. Why is that so hard to accept?

There really isn't any concrete evidence that EQG is canon, so why should I consider it to be? The events, characters, and setting of Equestria Girls are all things I, along with others, like to disassociate from Friendship is Magic entirely. For me, having these things exist in the FiM canon is messy and doesn't really make much sense to. If you personally consider EQG to be canon, that that's completely fine, but the series hasn't ever officially confirmed it as being canon.

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, LonelyYugi said:

End of discussion.

Anyone who says that Equestria Girls isn't canon is 100% wrong.

It's ok to be wrong.:umad:

Just because Josh Haber said so doesn't mean anything unless the show itself proves Equestria Girls is canon. Nothing in G4 confirms that EQG is canon or forces us to think it is, therefor we are completely able to say it isn't. EQG is just a spinoff that isn't at all brought up in the main series, so we are able to disassociate the two if we want. It's like the season ten comics. Just because they have "season 10" in the name and claim to be a follow up doesn't mean they actually have to be taken as canon (because at this point I don't consider them to be).

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Landi said:

Just because Josh Haber said so doesn't mean anything unless the show itself proves Equestria Girls is canon. Nothing in G4 confirms that EQG is canon or forces us to think it is, therefor we are completely able to say it isn't. EQG is just a spinoff that isn't at all brought up in the main series, so we are able to disassociate the two if we want. It's like the season ten comics. Just because they have "season 10" in the name and claim to be a follow up doesn't mean they actually have to be taken as canon (because at this point I don't consider them to be).

If a person who works on the show says it's canon, and the character cameos aren't enough than I don't know what to tell you. But Equestia Girls is 100% canon.

Enjoy being wrong.:umad:

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, LonelyYugi said:

If a person who works on the show says it's canon, and the character cameos aren't enough than I don't know what to tell you. But Equestia Girls is 100% canon.

Enjoy being wrong.:umad:

Stop trying to start an argument. If FiM doesn’t distinctly point out the existence of a human world or mention a character by name then EqG is not canon. That’s the way it’s always worked for any spin-off of any show, period. 
FiM didn’t do that so EqG is officially not canon. It’s not even a matter of opinion, it’s the truth. If you really so desperately want it to be canon, that’s fine. We’re just trying to tell you that officially, it’s not canon because of those reasons. 

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

it’s not canon because of those reasons. 

If a person who works on the show says that it's canon then it's canon. No ifs ands or buts. Sunset and the sirens have had cameos on the show.  What more proof do you Equestria Girls haters need?

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, LonelyYugi said:

If a person who works on the show says that it's canon then it's canon. No ifs ands or buts. Sunset and the sirens have had cameos on the show.  What more proof do you Equestria Girls haters need?

Okay, now you’re just being ignorant.