Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Flash Sentry Haters

Mantis01

Actually, the problem I had with Flash Century was that there was absolutely nothing to him.  At all.  He was just some extremely dull character with few lines and a guitar, and we were expected to support him and Twilight?  Please.  How do we know they would be compatible?  How do we know he's interesting enough to waste screen time on him?  Flash was just a plot gimmick, not an actual character, and definitely not a potential love interest for the show's mane character.

• Brohoof 2

Nostalgia Brony?  Hmmmm...... 

Also, I don't think he's a brony, as all he's really done is reference the show, and that could simply be due to its popularity among his internet demographic.

Not a brony... but... but...

Apple_Bloom_asking_Twilight_to_stay_for_

I think I've beaten you in most adorable MLP snapshot!

I mean, look at this super manly game!

Duke_Nukem_3D_Coverart.png

I agree that Flash had little personality and no character development in EQG, and he was just there to be a token crush. I think it was borderline offensive to stick him in there for the sole purpose of Twilight having a romantic interest (like so many token female characters in adventure stories with male main characters).

However:

His complete lack of character makes it difficult to be able to fully hate him as a character. As a plot device, certainly. But as a character, not so much. To me, a character like Flash is just boring, not hateable. A character becomes hateable to me when their actions and motivations contradict themselves, when their characterization isn't consistent, and when it is obvious that the writers aren't putting a lot of thought into the character.

I've said this before in my own thread. I think Flash has the potential to develop into any kind of character you can think of because all we have seen of him so far has been so bland and vague. We don't know any of his secrets yet, or any of his history. We don't know his desires or goals or even his favourite colour. There is no limit yet to what he can be written into.

I think the reason Flash gets so much hate is not because of who he is (he really isn't anyone yet), but because of what he represents. Flash is a symbol of everything that's wrong with Equestria Girls and high school romance dramas in general. He's the poster boy for clichés.

But that doesn't mean he has to stay that way. Look at the MLP franchise in general. Until G4, the whole thing was for the most part a representation of dumbed down, gender role-riddled children's cartoons made for the sole purpose of selling toys at the expense of the minds of the youth. G4 took that boring and dangerous old standard and made something more meaningful out of it. I think the same could be done with Flash.

• Brohoof 3

Well, while I do agree in some points, like he's a bland and stereotypical teen girl's dream boy, any other character could easily replace him, or the crush subplot was unnecessary, I don't really mind Flash Sentry nor if he marries Twily someday. I have mixed feelings to his haters though. For one part, they're WAY too harsh, second, their freakish hate actually gave a sort of charm to Flash Sentry, more than the movie ever did. Why? because the freakouts have become so over the top and ridiculous that I'm now like...

19be1b0b894283afbc13b4f35897dbebc7bdeb79

I mean,, now I find it so funny that they actually made him one of my favorite characters, much ala fandom interpretations of background ponies, and now I always looks forward to an appearance of him just to see and have fun with freakout (So much that I was surprised and disappointed for the lack of freakouts in Twilight's Kingdom). Hell, I affectionately call him Waifu Thief for still being one of the main reasons for his hate 

I'm sorry you had to see that rant. Damn it. It feels like I'm Joshscorcher and Mantis01 is Bhaalspawn.

My rant is officially over.

How are you like me ? You don't even know me.  I had only reply to topic on forum when I first join. This is the first topic I post.

MLP is generally free of stereotypical characters--at the very least, most of the characters that follow stereotypes are well-developed, often going completely beyond whatever shell of a cliché they might have first occupied. There are a few exceptions: Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, Blueblood, Snips and Snails, Trenderhoof (even though I fully approve of his character and the use of a hipster stereotype in his development!), but these characters are still open to new ideas, and have the space to be altered using one's headcanons.

This isn't the case for Flash Sentry. He's a high school pretty boy who broke up with the most popular girl in school and is now falling for our beloved antagonist. We've all seen something like this before. It simply fits the stereotype too perfectly for Flash Sentry to have any real worth as a character... at least, in my opinion.

If the pony Flash Sentry were to have any lines, I expect his personality would be greatly expanded upon from what we last saw. But until then, I won't really like Flash Sentry. He just isn't unique, and I know MLP is capable of doing so much better

• Brohoof 1

personally I agree with the Flash Sentry haters I don't think he ever should of been a character and I like how they have never mentioned him in season 4 but I wouldn't say I hate him he has a nice personality and if Hasbro decides to add him in Season 5 then they add him in Season 5 I will still watch with a smile 

• Brohoof 1

I agree with @Princess Lona.

Imagine he was introduced in the show with this scene:

Would you hate him? (he would be a background pony like Lyra or Derpy)

I know that's a silly question, but since he's a royal guard, that's how he is most of the time.

I like him if he stays like that, I wouldn't mind seeing him again if he's not with Twilight... (because I agree, in EQG he was TERRIBLE).

And don't forget human Flash Sentry =/= pony Flash Sentry

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

And? There's more to a personality than a few adjectives.  For example, Fluttershy is also helpful and gentle, but when describing her one can list her goals, her completed challenges, her growth as a character, etc.  We don't know a thing about Flash Sentry besides he's 'helpful', and Twilight has a crush on him.

And?  Their relationship is still forced and awkward.  That statement hasn't changed a thing.

No, there don't have to be clichés, and FiM is a testament to that.  If the show can fight stereotypes, why can't the film?  The only reason that  Flash Sentry exists is to capitalize on said stereotypes in a manner both insulting to the audience and to the portrayed characters. And, again, his role of helping Twilight get out of being framed could've been filled by literally ANYONE ELSE.  He's just there to add another check to the list of the typical teenage film clichés, and I find that insulting to what FiM stands for.  Now, were he to be expanded upon in the future, I – and those that share my opinion – will stop "hating" him so much, but as of now, he has no business existing.

Really? My question is this: Why did Flash Sentry break up with Sunset Shimmer? HE broke up with HER, weeks before Twilight ever appeared. If he was such a bland stereotype as his detractors like to say, why would that have happened? Does the stereotypical high school pretty boy break up with the attractive, popular Alpha Female, weeks before he ever meets the "new girl in town" protagonist? I think not.

Possibly he grew wise to the fact that she's an utter bitch, and therefore was suspicious of her when she targeted Twilight. And in that case, it makes perfect sense that he was the one to clear Twilight's name, because he knows exactly what kind of thing Sunshim would do. So I'd say there's more to him than just being the love interest.

Personality traits? He blushed when he asked Twilight to the dance, so he's a little bit shy. He plays a guitar, which takes not only a certain musical talent, but also dedication. So he is musical and works hard. He was totally cool with Twilight spilling a drink on him, so he's easy going. He joins in Twilight's funky dancing, so he's not obsessed with his own image, and is willing to be a bit silly in front of others. He broke up with Sunset Shimmer, so he has some sense of good morals, and is independent, not just obsessed with being popular. He's no Rarity, but there's more there than he gets recognition for in general. The only thing I tend to agree with is that he doesn't have any evident faults.

He's certainly much more developed as a human than as a pony, but everyone hates the human version so much that it spills onto the pony version too.

And c'mon, he walked face first into a door! That's adorkable in my book! And what word do many people use to describe Twilight a lot? Yes, adorkable. So they match. 

post-2257-0-45281600-1409217802_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 5

Twilight deserve better that this. Prince of Saddle Arabia or Starswirl descendant would be more fitted for her personality. Someone who either understand magic or know how to rule a kingdom would be more likely for her than generic guard.

• Brohoof 1

Really? My question is this: Why did Flash Sentry break up with Sunset Shimmer? HE broke up with HER, weeks before Twilight ever appeared. If he was such a bland stereotype as his detractors like to say, why would that have happened? Does the stereotypical high school pretty boy break up with the attractive, popular Alpha Female, weeks before he ever meets the "new girl in town" protagonist? I think not.

Possibly he grew wise to the fact that she's an utter bitch, and therefore was suspicious of her when she targeted Twilight. And in that case, it makes perfect sense that he was the one to clear Twilight's name, because he knows exactly what kind of thing Sunshim would do. So I'd say there's more to him than just being the love interest.

Personality traits? He blushed when he asked Twilight to the dance, so he's a little bit shy. He plays a guitar, which takes not only a certain musical talent, but also dedication. So he is musical and works hard. He was totally cool with Twilight spilling a drink on him, so he's easy going. He joins in Twilight's funky dancing, so he's not obsessed with his own image, and is willing to be a bit silly in front of others. He broke up with Sunset Shimmer, so he has some sense of good morals, and is independent, not just obsessed with being popular. He's no Rarity, but there's more there than he gets recognition for in general. The only thing I tend to agree with is that he doesn't have any evident faults.

He's certainly much more developed as a human than as a pony, but everyone hates the human version so much that it spills onto the pony version too.

And c'mon, he walked face first into a door! That's adorkable in my book! And what word do many people use to describe Twilight a lot? Yes, adorkable. So they match. 

attachicon.gifbscap0367.jpg

Yeah, his lack of known flaws is his biggest flaw, and I repeat, the romance subplot was unnecessary and badly executed. I don't care if he stays as a BG pony or if he shows some minor or major development, but I found his charm out of the hate. He is to me what other BG ponies like Lyra, Vinyl or Derpy are to the rest of the fandom. 

104914.png?1389586459

125769.jpg?1376883123

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, his lack of known flaws is his biggest flaw, and I repeat, the romance subplot was unnecessary and badly executed. I don't care if he stays as a BG pony or if he shows some minor or major development, but I found his charm out of the hate. He is to me what other BG ponies like Lyra, Vinyl or Derpy are to the rest of the fandom. 

img-3036815-2-104914.png

img-3036815-3-125769.jpg

Yes, but disliking him for the fact that he has nothing dislikeable about him seems somewhat perverse.

What do you think is unnecessary or badly executed with regards to the romance? A lot of people seem opposed to the idea of a romance in EQ just because, but I'm more interested in hearing legitimate reasons why it fails. And more than just "it doesn't happen in the show, therefore it shouldn't happen in the movie."

• Brohoof 2

There's nothing wrong with him, he's a harmless character. Even if he's underdeveloped, the idea of brining a romantic couple for the mane 6 could have worked.

I liked their romance. It seemed cliché and rushed, but I liked it that way, cause that's more love I can ask from Cheerilee and Big Mac or Shining and Cadence.

Are there actually haters? I thought bronies had already learned that "HATE IS BAAAAAD"

Not to be rude

I seen pony oc on deviantart all the time, the are some to do pair them with Twilight. 

I see Flash as minor character and have no reason to hate him. In fact Flash is a helpful character. 

Equestria Girls is  to be based on teen films. In teenflm there is a boy to does try to help the girl, it was also be reverse, the girl will try to be helpful with the boy 

I feel the same. :D Flash is helpful.

attachicon.gifbscap0367.jpg

The comic books state he was startled by a possum so i think he is afraid of small mammals.

Yes, but disliking him for the fact that he has nothing dislikeable about him seems somewhat perverse.

What do you think is unnecessary or badly executed with regards to the romance? A lot of people seem opposed to the idea of a romance in EQ just because, but I'm more interested in hearing legitimate reasons why it fails. And more than just "it doesn't happen in the show, therefore it shouldn't happen in the movie."

Well: 1-Twily bumps into Flash

2-Twily bumps into Flash filling him with milkshake, starting the crush 

3-Flash saves Twily from being framed and attempts to the prom, awkward blush

4-Flash tries again with the prom thing, more awkward blush

Presto, now he's Twily's love interest

Not to mention it was out of the blue, didn't contributed much to the plot of the franchise, and the movie could have gone fine without it. Hell, it wasn't even mentioned by Sunny  >_> 

I'm not with that bullshitting argument of "it didn't happen in the show, it shouldn't happen in the movie", but it's a fact that it was handled badly in EG. I would have handled differently, leaving the awkward encounters without the  romance, and instead of Flash being a sudden love interest, I would have made him and Twily as "just friends". the only hint of it developing to romance I would leave is at the end, much like the end of Hearts and Hooves Day did, with the possibility open, but not outright stated

Well: 1-Twily bumps into Flash

2-Twily bumps into Flash filling him with milkshake, starting the crush

3-Flash saves Twily from being framed and attempts to the prom, awkward blush

4-Flash tries again with the prom thing, more awkward blush

Presto, now he's Twily's love interest

Not to mention it was out of the blue, didn't contributed much to the plot of the franchise, and the movie could have gone fine without it. Hell, it wasn't even mentioned by Sunny >_>

I'm not with that bullshitting argument of "it didn't happen in the show, it shouldn't happen in the movie", but it's a fact that it was handled badly in EG. I would have handled differently, leaving the awkward encounters without the romance, and instead of Flash being a sudden love interest, I would have made him and Twily as "just friends". the only hint of it developing to romance I would leave is at the end, much like the end of Hearts and Hooves Day did, with the possibility open, but not outright stated

To be fair those sound like the plot points of 90% of really bad school romantic comedy anime (minus groping) and that is probably what they were going for. They failed hard at it but that is what they were trying.

To be fair those sound like the plot points of 90% of really bad school romantic comedy anime (minus groping) and that is probably what they were going for. They failed hard at it but that is what they were trying.

Yeah, it was kinda lame, but poor Flash Sentry got most of the hate out of the need of people to find someone to blame. Oh well, I like him being hated, it's always fun looking at the fandom freaking out because of him. Hell, thanks to that hate, he has become one of my favorite characters. He is to me what Lyra, Vinyl, Derpy, etc, etc, etc are to the rest of the fandom  :lol:

• 6 months later...

Better start doing a topic on My Little Pony topic.

There been people who like  Equestria Girls, there been people who hate. The character who got the most hate was Flasn Sentry, who Twilight gotten a crush on and I thought fan hating the Archies comic Sonic and Sally paring was worse.

The main reason bronies are hating on Flash is because he pair with Twilight and they want to pair their gary sue OCs with her. I find this Flash hate to be ridiculous, what wrong with Twilight having a crush on Flash and what wrong with he being on the series. It not like he was in love with Twilight in Equestria Girls, he just wanted to help Twilight. I get that bronies like Twilight Sparkle, I also like her as well, but not too much and don't want to pair her with a OC's character. Why would they want to pair their OC with her, why do they fall in her with Twilight, and why would Twilight like their OCs, she have to know them. Back to Flash Sentry, I really want to know about his character, his strength and weakness. I do want to see him in season five. 

What are your thoughts ?

i agree i found this obscured and stupid for people hating him soo bad because they soo jealous up. Why? its because people couldnt accept twilight fall in love by a human flash sentry well what about beauty and the beast then? what about bride of discord then? why that both they okay with? twilight isnt human shes a pony and flash is a human soo is good for them to fall in love because after those hard work twilight did along with her friends she deserved something as a reward. I agree with you, flash is a helpfull character just one thing that sad me most is when people potrayed him as a bad guy while the equestrian bad guys that people see in mlp they okay with it? infact in fanfic i see soo far most of the bad guys turned into good guy while flash turned into back guy instead! thats stupid!

im flashlight supporter and if anypony have problem with that then buck off! and oh i have more to say

remember when fans like us used to say to non brony that when watching mlp never judge by its cover?

well its backwards now...

instead they should never judge flash sentry by its cover! and...stop with waifu stealing thing! for god sake! why people accused him as a waifu stealer! oh my god! seriously? who thought that idea in the first place?!

arent you guys remember anything about mlp? its love,friendship, and kindness!, doesnt that matter anymore?!

whats wrong with people who have a crush on twilight cant let her go with someone she love? whats wrong with flash sentry? what he do to you? its because in rainbow rocks when he was under influence by the siren and yelled at her and making twilight cry? thats you guys pissed off most?

its...i dunno what to say anymore...infact when siren brainwash majority of students they okay but not him? serisouly? he is under their influence causing him to yelled at her. but one fact i pissed off he forgot to apologize to twilight ..which is dissapointed...maybe he was gonna say sorry if trixie doesnt interrupt them.

overall i see what some people think on flash sentry is

people love to bullied him, make fun of him, potrayed him as a bad guy and making him like a jerk...

twilight becoming thousand and thousand of any waifu, she become a slave..a toy and making their oc fell in love to her

im really sad what you guys did to twilight, i used to love twilight but when i have a gf i let her go and let twilight become friend instead.

and some people consider letting mane 6 be single forever? serisouly? why!? they cant stay single forever you know!!

thats all i can say but i blame a writer for making flash sentry didnt have a much character development but thats not an excuse for hating him because he with twilight

if they care twilight...then let her go...its the right thing to do

He got hate because the only reason he existed was to be Twilight's love interest. I think it'd be a lot better if we were introduced to a character who over time became her love interest. Suddenly bringing some guy out of nowhere feels rushed and pointless.

I generally don't think 'haters' are welcome at all in any fandom involving anything within the fandom; it's never fun when people start getting so negative about things relating to the source material.  Opinions are fine, but hate is quite overboard.

However, if there's one canonical, major character in the entire series that strong negative feelings are pretty understandable and expected for, it'd be this guy; he was thrown in for an already divisive movie, one that the original creator of the series voiced strong distaste for to begin with, and he seems to exist solely to be a romantic foil for the main character of the entire show, Twilight Sparkle.  This is a show that was likely never meant to have any kind of heavy romantic involvement concerning any of the main characters like that, and of course the guy's got the personality of a log and is in every way the predictable 'Cool Likable High School Boy' for these kinds of tween-girl series... and on top of that he's one of the only characters that have barely AT ALL actually existed as a non-human in a show about non-humans.  He's kind of the poster child for everything wrong and weird about Equestria Girls and all the reasons people may have a problem with it.

That all being said, I think he has a cool enough visual design, he's definitely a decent dude, and he has a really cool name.. but as far as him being canonically Twilight's significant other in any capacity, that's just all kinds of messed up and would certainly pass my threshold for what I'd even be willing to accept as canon -- even moreso than things like Twi's alicornification, which didn't even really bother me that much.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think the Flash Sentry haters are biased, he is seen as uninteresting, no character, but he is not a main character, the show's main stars are six mares, with hundreds of screen hours, and superfluous development, could you imagine, from Frozen if Hans ended up with Anna instead of Kristoff, or if Kristoff ended up with Queen Elsa, that would stroke the unrighteous indignation with people upset, that the characters did not do what they wanted the writers to do. I think some bronies pat themselves on the back too much, for liking a show intended for young girls, but the shock is wearing off, now we must be like adults and let the show run its course, naturally, not every fan is going to be happy, they will throw fits and rant on YouTube, just let them vent, for the rest of us, let us enjoy the show for all of its feats and failures, I think Twilight Sparkle is has learned enough about friendship, now let us see how she will learn about companionship, for this is a lesson everyone should learn, to see what love could be, and how to let others be loved, I like Flash Sentry, he seems like a good pony, there is nothing about him that's offensive, compared to the mane six he is boring, perhaps generic, however still waters run deep, how would you feel if someone called you banal or contrived, for having a love interest seemingly better than you, or rather you deserve better? Love does not work that way, if we just let Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry alone, we can better see for ourselves that charming enigma, that affectionate puzzle called love.

Edited by King Edouard