Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Message of the Show and the Impact it Creates

Mr.Mort

I wouldn't say the show has changed me dramatically but it had helped me become more idealistic and more open to unorthodox forms of media.

In addition, just this week I had an issue with a friend of mine and the show came to mind when I was thinking of ways to solve it. All is well now. :D

Great post, OP.

It seems silly that a show about tiny horses can have such a huge impact, but the fact remains that it does and that is why I love this show, and this fandom so much.

Agreed.  Absolutely true.

The show has certainly helped me and given me more hope for the future.  The greatest impact it has had on me is giving me the confidence to be who I am and be proud of it.  I've always been a bit different, and I usually want to wear interesting clothes that challenge social convention a bit, but I'm usually too nervous.  MLP has finally made me comfortable and confident to do so.  It's made me feel much better about myself overall and improved my self-esteem.  Ack...I'd write more and make this a bit more elegantly worded, but my friends on Steam are barking at me to join games.  Gotta go.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I admit the whole "Friendship is Magic" theme got through to me. Usually I keep to myself, but I've been trying to open up more a lot lately... When you really get down it, people who live for others are remembered and loved.

It hasn't made any dramatic changes to me, but it certainly wore down some of the ol' rough bits.

• Brohoof 1

Oh geez... I felt that way at first as well. Becoming more optimistic, open, less bitter, less cold... That lasted for some time.

Well, that's one mistake I've had to learn from. I made myself too vulnerable and got myself too invested in this idea that communities are these places to find peace and happiness. Communities are still places where people exploit and get exploited and bronies are no different. How I felt so utterly betrayed and really, I was quite a mess emotionally speaking. (If by any chance you're interested in hearing about it in detail, see here)

Right now, I'm more or less back to how I was but just not as terribly. I've had to learn a lot from these mistakes, so I guess there's that at least.

I'm really glad that I found this show.  I used to be annoyed at small things and I felt like I wanted to be isolated from everyone.  I was a little narrow minded too.  After I found the show I have definitely become more open minded to new things, I appreciate the little things in life and I just feel much, much happier in general.  2 years ago I found this show and I haven't looked back at it since.

It's good to hear that others feel similarly, This is my first post here so positive feedback is encouraging :)

Oh geez... I felt that way at first as well. Becoming more optimistic, open, less bitter, less cold... That lasted for some time.

Well, that's one mistake I've had to learn from. I made myself too vulnerable and got myself too invested in this idea that communities are these places to find peace and happiness. Communities are still places where people exploit and get exploited and bronies are no different.

As for this post by SunBurn, You can't generalize "communities" in such a broad manner. They CAN be a place to find peace and happiness and the CAN be a place to be exploited and often you will find a community where both exsist at the same time. That is why you must be careful with whom you spend time with and trust. Although there is a line between being trusting, and being naive. The world is a cruel place filled with people who want nothing more than to see you suffer, but that does not mean you have to be cold and closed off from everyone. It means only that you need to surround yourself with the people who are Kind, Compassionate, and who are worthy of your time. Most importantly NEVER let the impact of few affect your outlook of many. We all hurt, but the goal is to not let that hurt win. You stand up, brush it off, then move on.

I do sincerely hope whatever has been troubling you passes soon.

You can't generalize "communities" in such a broad manner. They CAN be a place to find peace and happiness and the CAN be a place to be exploited and often you will find a community where both exsist at the same time. That is why you must be careful with whom you spend time with and trust. Although there is a line between being trusting, and being naive.

And that is pretty much why it's important to hone your senses. That is, to know who is a scoundrel, tool or phony when you see one. The worst kind are demagogues who use their charisma or charm to convince others and get them to volunteer to do dirty work for this special group. These are basically manipulators. They are masters in the craft of persuasion. Very dangerous.

It means only that you need to surround yourself with the people who are Kind, Compassionate, and who are worthy of your time.

I wouldn't say such things if I were you.  You may not realize it but here you are dividing people into the superior and the inferior. If this is allowed to fester in a community, it could end up a narcissistic clique at best or create an environment prone to flame wars at the very worst that I can think of. That is, of course, speaking of it under the context of an internet community such as this and assuming that such attitudes become more widespread.

You may not realize it but here you are dividing people into the superior and the inferior. If this is allowed to fester in a community, it could end up a narcissistic clique at best or create an environment prone to flame wars at the very worst that I can think of
  I mean it not in the way of Superior/Inferior, all people are equal in their own right. However if someone is constantly putting you down, going behind your back or involved in actions otherwise detrimental to you or those around you, they should be kept at a distance. Not because of them being inferior to you but because of them not being understand or care that their actions are hurting you. I can understand how you may draw the conclusion you did based on my wording, but it is not what I was intending.

Well, as for impact, the show only has the impact you allow it to have. And if it helped out others, and gave them a new perspective on life, of helped them find and take joy in what makes them an individual then that is great. But for me personally the shows message is something that I have come to learn already over life experience and my time in the military, albeit not peaceful and loving of all, but the general idea is the same. So while the show may have had a huge impact on others, and I do not count that impact as negative or derogatory, on me it had a far lessened effect, as I used the show more of a leveling agent to my rather crass and aggressive personality.

Its made me optimistic to say the least. 

Look I'm not going to sit here and proclaim how MLP:FiM was some miraculous epiphany in my life that exposed me to new beautiful revelations. I have watched and seen many good and great shows and other media, many better than MLP:FiM.

I like MLP:FiM not just for its message. Any run of the mill kids show can have crude characters lecture you on how its wrong to lie, steal, cheat, etc. But FiM has a lot of complexity and depth and is ages beyond its peers. It treats its target audience of children as more mature and not just as some demographic to be entirely showered with sparkles, hugs and parties.

MLP:FiM hasn't changed my life greatly, but it has given me more perspective and for the better. And that's a worthwhile impact for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to know if I'm the only one who feels a little different after watching mlp. I feel like a better person. This may sound totally, well... gay, but it seems like every element of harmony in me has been strengthened in me. There was always a good part in me, this series helped it reach the surface. If anyone (anypony :P) felt the same way, or didn't, I'd like to know.

• Brohoof 1

i dont really feel like a different person as in personality, but MLP( or to be more precise; the fandom) really has opened my eyes about certain subjects. i wont go into detail here since i could literally write a book about.

mostly its about how i see and value entertainment in general, and the society we live in though.

• Brohoof 1

It made me realise that i was only going to get what i worked for, and gave me a chance to meet people as crazy as i am

so yes it affected me greatly, i feel i can do more now i know things i did not before, and i have slightly more faith in people 

After watching MlP I felt a lot more well... happy I was more social and I was willing to try to actually make friends believe it or not it really helped me in a rough part of my life. I don't know, it sounds weird especially for a 16 year old brony but that's how it impacted me.

• Brohoof 1

After watching MlP I felt a lot more well... happy I was more social and I was willing to try to actually make friends believe it or not it really helped me in a rough part of my life. I don't know, it sounds weird especially for a 16 year old brony but that's how it impacted me.

I'm a 16 year-old Brony as well, and I feel the same way. :)

• Brohoof 1

It's changed my life in one way or another. I've discovered a new show I like, and the community is one of the best! mlp-tsmile.png

• Brohoof 1

Same here, the love of ponies have showed me the path to a more social life. Of course I lock myself up in my room, but it would have been way much worse were I to never come across the fandom.

MLP FiM certainly had the unexpected impact on me,considering it completely changed my persona almost. I would not be here if not for MLP FiM,hell i'd most likely be rolling around in a straightjacket in a white room by now.  :maud:

I am not afraid to say MLP FiM changed me for the better and i while yes im sure my old self would've never expected to end up being changed in a positive way by a show about colorful ponies(and especially changed by a certain pink bringer of joy and smiles),i wouldn't of had it any other way because im glad to be who i am today.  :maud:

*was literally reformed by MLP FiM*

And you know what?:

10f.gif

Of course it has, because of MLP I have meant people from all walks of life, just about every sexuality and in general it has made me become a much more accepting person.