Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you deal with trolls?

Boxxi The Brony

• 4 months later...

I usually just ignore them. If I can report them I will though, but I don't respond to them at all. 

I came up with a joke though once (I've never actually done it though) that involved feeding trolls "troll biscuits" whenever they showed up. Because they say not to feed the trolls, but if they're so starving, we might as well give them troll snacks, right? 

I would rather just not respond, but I find it funny to think of a troll saying random dumb things and having people only respond with *troll biscuit*. Except I'm sure trolls would find a way to abuse that system, which is why I've never used it and I just ignore them instead. 

I hax their account and make them look bad (did it once, didn't enjoy it). But mostly, I satisfy them for a little while, and then I punch them in the face, verbally, of course. Then I report them, because that's what I'm supposed to do.

• Brohoof 1

I'm one of those people that enjoys getting in other people's heads. That being said, I make them think about their decision to the point that they want to pull their hair out. In essence, they crawl away with their tail tucked between their legs.

Edited by Sn-Overdrive

It would depend on what kind of trouble-maker and where the situation is taking place. Places like Youtube and Facebook, it's best to ignore/report them after making sure their actually there to make a problem.

If it's someone who is simply arrogant or overly sarcastic then it's best to simply live with who they are and to not try pushing them into changing overnight.

However, in forums like this where new people join every day you just have try your best to help the Mods/Admins out and not become a problem yourself as you try to drive them out.

Here's an interesting quote a friend of mine once showed me regarding trolls and 'gardens'(forums) of the internet.

Start Quote-["Good online communities die primarily by refusing to defend themselves.

Somewhere in the vastness of the Internet, it is happening even now.  It was once a well-kept garden of intelligent discussion, where knowledgeable and interested folk came, attracted by the high quality of speech they saw ongoing.  But into this garden comes a fool, and the level of discussion drops a little—or more than a little, if the fool is very prolific in their posting.  (It is worse if the fool is just articulate enough that the former inhabitants of the garden feel obliged to respond, and correct misapprehensions—for then the fool dominates conversations.)

So the garden is tainted now, and it is less fun to play in; the old inhabitants, already invested there, will stay, but they are that much less likely to attract new blood.  Or if there are new members, their quality also has gone down.

Then another fool joins, and the two fools begin talking to each other, and at that point some of the old members, those with the highest standards and the best opportunities elsewhere, leave...

I am old enough to remember the USENET that is forgotten, though I was very young.  Unlike the first Internet that died so long ago in the Eternal September, in these days there is always some way to delete unwanted content.  We can thank spam for that—so egregious that no one defends it, so prolific that no one can just ignore it, there must be a banhammer somewhere.

But when the fools begin their invasion, some communities think themselves too good to use their banhammer for—gasp!—censorship."

From this this site: http://lesswrong.com/lw/c1/wellkept_gardens_die_by_pacifism/  ]-End Quote

Edited by WindyParadise

Trolling back. Most of the time they don't know how to deal with it.  :ph34r:

9beidv.png

From my experiences with the wonderful world of YouTube comments I consider this 100% accurate.

In this day and age, the fine line between proper trolling and cyberbullying is so blurred that it almost doesn't exist anymore. It's best to just ignore them.

However, the only actual reason to troll someone is for teh lulz.

Edited by xX_1nd1g0w33d_Xx

At games troll em back or kill them

At youtube I dislike their comment with my 7 accs and tell em to gtfo before I ************************************************************** -op censor-

also beat the crap out of them IRL if im really pissed off, otherwise I just throw them to a wall or something

Usually I just ignore them.  Sometimes I will go along and "uh huh, uh huh, wow, you are so right!"  :D  Play around with them a bit just so they know I'm not taking them seriously.  But the best way to get them to go away is to ignore them and not express any anger which lets them know they're getting to you.