Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Magic Something That You're Born Into?

Fractured

Would it be possible for a pony like Rarity to be as good at magic as Twilight Sparkle, or is it just a combination of good genes and the hand of fate? For other ponies too; would it be possible to be as fast as Rainbow Dash through hard work alone? What do you think?

I think that this goes into the "Nature vs. Nurture" debate area.

You're either born into something (genes and DNA) or your environment builds you into it (family, friends, home environment).

• Brohoof 1

I believe so.

Look at Thunderlane for example, often seen as lazy and has a wing power not far from Rainbow Dash's; if he put forth effort into practicing flying, he could probably match her.

i think traits are somthing youre born with you need wings to fly and a unicorn horn to use magic except for some theres some magic that some can learn and some beings that dont apply like discord and that zebra from that swamp whats her name, but skill theres a limmit but most havent trained to it yet.

I don't think that is true. Saying that anypony can be as fast as Rainbow Dash is like saying that anyone can run as fast as the fastest world sprinter which we know is not true. No matter how hard I train, I am physically not able to run as fast as Usain Bolt, so I think the same goes for ponies too. It is a combination of training and also limitations of the body. 

About magic, I think the same principle goes, no matter how hard they train, they cannot be all equal in terms of magical abilities. But, I have no real life examples to relate that to.

• Brohoof 1

oh i thought that ment in the world of mlp no real life magic but i was saing that some who have traits like magic and flying can train to their limmits of their abilitys but can be out done by some pony else that is more capable and trained past them. i think thunderlane could if thunderlane trained at it

Being a whiz at magic is twilight's destiny. (That's what her cutie mark is telling me.) :-D Not to mention her element! I think she will eventually be the strongest magic user in equestria!! No matter how hard others study I feel like they need the same aptitude to even come close.

Well, if you're a unicorn, then obviously you're going to have magic, but I guess if you were to be on the level of Twilight, a lot of training would probably be required.

I think like anything, that magic would be affected by both natural talent as well as the effort and work you put into it.

I kind of think of the natural talent part as sort of a head start, a pony can have natural magical abilities, like Twilight, and be better than other ponies at it for a while maybe, but with work, those who have lower natural talent for magic can eventually get above her if she doesn't work as well to improve on her already good natural affinity for magic.

Does that make sense? I just basically think of it the same as I think of any other situation with talent vs hardwork really. 

• Brohoof 1

I think like anything, that magic would be affected by both natural talent as well as the effort and work you put into it.

I kind of think of the natural talent part as sort of a head start, a pony can have natural magical abilities, like Twilight, and be better than other ponies at it for a while maybe, but with work, those who have lower natural talent for magic can eventually get above her if she doesn't work as well to improve on her already good natural affinity for magic.

Does that make sense? I just basically think of it the same as I think of any other situation with talent vs hardwork really. 

So some people just have it and others have to work for it? Is it possible most ponies just don't invest because they don't need to, like how everyone can walk, but not everyone can tapdance?

• Brohoof 1

So some people just have it and others have to work for it? Is it possible most ponies just don't invest because they don't need to, like how everyone can walk, but not everyone can tapdance?

Well, not quite. 

Think of it this way, sure Twilight has lots of affinity for learning magic, but she also had to work very hard and study quite a lot to become good at it, despite her natural talent for it. She still spent much time as a filly practicing for her entry exam. 

I think that while some ponies like Twilight may have an easier time with learning magic, it doesn't mean they are just born knowing it, they still have to work, or their talents go to waste. 

Other ponies could still learn magic I think, it would just take them longer then others who are naturally gifted in magic. Both would have to work though, just the one with natural talent would have to work a little less. But with enough work, the one without natural talent could still surpass the one with natural talent.

Basically, natural talent isn't a substitute for hard work.

Does that make sense?

Well, not quite. 

Think of it this way, sure Twilight has lots of affinity for learning magic, but she also had to work very hard and study quite a lot to become good at it, despite her natural talent for it. She still spent much time as a filly practicing for her entry exam. 

I think that while some ponies like Twilight may have an easier time with learning magic, it doesn't mean they are just born knowing it, they still have to work, or their talents go to waste. 

Other ponies could still learn magic I think, it would just take them longer then others who are naturally gifted in magic. Both would have to work though, just the one with natural talent would have to work a little less. But with enough work, the one without natural talent could still surpass the one with natural talent.

Basically, natural talent isn't a substitute for hard work.

Does that make sense?

So, some learn easier, but everyone has to work to learn new magic?

• Brohoof 1

I think all Unicorns have the capability to be a master magician, but it really depends on how hard they're willing to work to get to that level. Some, like Twilight, could have a natural talent for it and that will help them. For others, they would have to work a bit harder to get to that level.

It's similar to how someone may be naturally talented with an instrument and do well with it, while others would have a bit of a harder time. However, the one with the talent can't depend on that talent alone, and would have to work to keep that talent. Others without the talent are able to reach that level, but they may have to work harder since they lack the talent.

And others would probably just give up and go do something else. Not like magic is life-necessary, right? mlp-tawkward.png

• Brohoof 2

It makes me wonder if perhaps spells are invented in the same way we make technology. The books in Twilight's library had to be made by somebody, StarSwirl or Celestia, presumably. I guess it depends on whether magic is an innate sense or a scientific principle; it might lead to an entirely different learning system if people can just be "good" at magic.

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe in "natural talent" in Equestria. I think Rainbow Dash has practiced a lot to reach her current level, same goes for Twilight (as seen in The Cutie Mark Chronicles: we clearly saw she had some difficulties to use her magic when she was younger...)

Edited by Blobulle

Magic is definitely something your born into. Remember 'Adventures in Foalsitting'? Pumpkin cake was able to phase through her crib. If flight is a magic skill, then pound cake is pretty adept at that. So unless they're extraordinarily talented, it seems that magical talent is something everypony is born with. It's just to what level of skill is reached in harnessing that talent though training and practice.  

Magic is definitely something your born into. Remember 'Adventures in Foalsitting'? Pumpkin cake was able to phase through her crib. If flight is a magic skill, then pound cake is pretty adept at that. So unless they're extraordinarily talented, it seems that magical talent is something everypony is born with. It's just to what level of skill is reached in harnessing that talent though training and practice.  

I think the Baby Cakes are an exception.

Or maybe every baby pony is like that, but they lose their skills when they become filly/colt and they have to practice if they want to be talented.

Let's not forget the "Magical Mystery Cure" and "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" episodes. Destiny and character plays a big role there. It isn't just the case of working hard for something. But it being "supported" by their destinies.

Twilight and friends are at their perfect workplaces, tailored to their characters and talents. Their cutie marks appeared when they discovered they destiny, the special path to follow. Twilight messed it up with magic, but that just shows that those paths are fit only for them, that they aren't some sort of ham-fisted employment control. 

Basically their destiny shows them their optimal, best possible path to follow. If Twilight road is that of magic, then hard work alone is not going to make her the best flier ever, no matter how hard she tries. There are the best already, that is their destiny.