Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you a natural born driver?

Anonymous~

So, recently I noticed that almost everyone at my age are starting to get their driver's licenses, which made me think... What kind of driver would I be? Well, I thought a bit and I guess I'm a natural born... bad driver. When I start thinking about how hard it must be to drive a car, especially in high-traffic roads, I shake my head and stop thinking about it, because it scares the hell out of me. I mean, I cannot imagine myself driving a car. It's really hard to remember all of the rules. Plus if you mess up you are pretty much screwed up, both financially and/or physically (and, what would people think of you???). I think I inherited this trait from my mother -- she gets anxious when she's driving in a car... and I don't want to start talking how she reacts when she's supposed to drive. I think I will not be getting my driver's license any time soon (if ever).

Anyhow, my question is: are you a natural born good driver, or a natural born bad driver?

• Brohoof 1

Natural good driver, for sure!..... NOT.

I just got my license yesterday. Took a trip around my block... I ran into the curb (twice), popped my tire and twisted the hubcap. It was because I was turning and a car was coming toward me and I turned too much... Oops! She gave me the most sincere look of horror I've ever seen in my life. I pulled into a driveway and cried for a bit until my dad said "just take the passenger seat".

I'm going for another spin on Sunday.... but now I'm only allowed in empty parking lots. Wish me luck!

I do think I will get better though. Maybe I'm a natural born after all, and I just need to hone my skills img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png .

• Brohoof 1

I think I'm decent. I don't see myself as a pro driver but I've never gotten a ticket before or anything like that. It definitely feels weird to drive the first few times, but it gets a lot easier as you continue practicing. After a while it pretty much comes as natural as breathing.

• Brohoof 2

I'm definitely better than most, I can say that much. I may be a fairly aggressive driver, but the fact remains that if I weren't nearly as attentive as I am behind the wheel, I'd have fallen prey to the stupid shit people do on the road multiple times. For the very least, I've never been the cause of an accident, though someone did rear-end me once.

...Of course, I did total my car by hitting a deer. Not that such a sudden, unexpected event can really be chalked up to one's driving skills, but at the very least I was able to slow down enough for the collision to be light enough not to deploy the airbags.

(edited)

Same here. Just cannot drive because of how bad I am. Everyone I know are driving cars around but just the thought scares me. I don't know what it is about cars. Maybe because I watch and read the news everyday and there's always incidents with cars. I've flow a light plane a few times, feel nothing, it's cool. But when I step into a car I just start getting scared and shaky and am unable to drive. Really sucks. So I guess I'm  a naturally born-bad driver.

Edited by Sirwest299

Driving takes a lot of practice. The first time I drove a car, I was so nervous. Now that I've been driving for like 5 years, I'm much more comfortable with it. Plus I've never been in an accident ;)

Well, I lived on a mountain when I learned. I learned on the way to before-school stuff, so the roads were less busy (since it was so damn early). And I lived in WA state.

So basically, I learned to drive on mountain roads at night while it was raining/snowing. I'm a pretty damn good driver.

I think part of it is that I don't seize up when scared/nervous. yeah, I get nervous when my POS car is having trouble in the snow or something, but I keep my wits and can still react to problems as they come. As such, I've never been in accident while I was driving (I've been a passenger in a few accidents), but have avoided a few in my time. Never gone off the road, and the only time I've hit something I didn't intend to hit was when I was learning to back out of our weird-ass driveway (in my dad's work car, no less. He was so pissed).

I suppose I'm a bit more aggressive than I should be, but I like getting to my destination as fast as possible. Even if I'm not late or anything, I just don't like being in the car for too long. Feels like I'm wasting time :/

• Brohoof 1

All I have to say about that question is: Of course i'm naturally gifted at controlling a automobile and much more! 

(And I have this to say as well) I have owned quite a few vehicles in my day already and I enjoyed driving each one. I bet some are thinking right now "Well Earl, what makes you such a drivin' god?" Well, simple comrades! With all the driving experience I have had (Many road trips featuring myself behind the wheel) and all the stuff I have towed behind my truck along with driving my boat with someone skiing behind it, and don't forget the fact I am a absolute lawn tractor driving king and can cut grass and maneuver around trees, bushes, fences and much more with ease. Plus, I drive a 06' GTO with over 400 horse and a six speed. And to say the least, I have gotten her going pretty quick on some back country roads and I took a picture of my speedometer at this intense speed. And don't forget my run-ins with some unplanned street races!

So, of course Earl J. Hickey is a driving master like no other has seen! When in doubt, put her to the floor and hear that ol' engine roar!

Natural born scared-as crap driver.

I think that I'm actually better than average, and I did learn reasonably quickly. Nothing bad has ever happened while to me while I've been driving a car. Thing is, for some reason I've always had a completely random and unnatural fear of driving and I try to avoid doing it whenever possible. 

I would consider myself a slight one. i have trouble parking but thats it. I just got my learners permit a few months ago and only log a couple of hours behind the wheel. The vehical i drive is a 94 gmc sonoma with a manual transmission, ya well its kind of a piece of crap, but i just love driving it. The only damage i have done to it is that i hit a poped tire in the road, popin my own tire.......

(edited)

I thought about this yesterday, quite a coincidence that this comes up. LOL.

Yeah, I think I'm a pretty natural born driver. In fact, I love driving, maybe too much. I have an extreme wanderlust. Driving makes me feel alive in a way that most other activities can't. There's something about the freedom of the open road that just perks me up. If I could drive forever, I would.

I know a lot of people fear highways and interstates, but they're my favorite places to drive. I also LOVE night driving.

On another note, I do have a speeding problem. I do it...a lot.img-1491838-1-derpy_emoticon1.png  I've gotten one ticket. I'm actually thinking of getting a fuzz buster, too. :P

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 1

I would consider myself a good driver, certainly not a "natural" though. I went through drivers education to get more comfortable when I first got my license. I can be pretty aggressive with roundabouts, but for the most part, I'm rather passive. I started driving in an old ford truck so driving this small car of mine is fairly easy.

I'd say not. I say this because on my first time driving, I nearly:

1) Took out a mailbox

2) Plowed straight into a house

3) Got hit by the ONE train that comes through town every year

4) Did all of the above out in the country where there was about one house for a mile in every direction.

I've gotten better, though. I'd say I'm good now. Haven't had any major incidents recently, so I'd say I've acquired the ability. laugh.png

Noone is really a naturally born a good driver, it's all about experience and just practice. Although driving is easy, you just have to get that experience and you're good. The rules are simple and if you have a license you should know most of them. But to become a good driver you need to have that passion and a lot of practice. That practice comes with time and so does experience but if you have that passion, that passion that a true car enthusiaist has, the practice is a lot easier.

I would say that I'm naturally a good driver (I started practicing at a very young age, perks of living in a small town) , I love everything about driving. The freedom, the sound of the engine, the sound of the road, the steering wheels feedback, the smell and this pure feeling of awesomeness, the adrenaline, the speed, the acceleration.

My favorite thing in the world is driving and cars. Also ponies of course. For me, the best feeling in the world is being behind the steering wheel. I just love everything about driving,  behind the wheel I feel confident, I just feel really good.

Also, people need to drive a manual to get that real driving pleasure. You can get somewhat decent driving pleasure from an automatic with paddle shifters. But there ain't nothing like the fast paced action of shifting gears. It's the most awesome feeling you can have, seriously those who drive an automatic are seriously missing out. I have driven all types of cars and different transmissions on the same type of cars. It's always the same thing, the manual transmission is a lot more fun to drive and the automatic transmission is just boring compared to the manual. Like seriously they take away the fun part.

So yeah I just love driving, I love everything about driving and cars. I have loved cars since I was really small, I just love them. All types of cars, I have also driven a lot of cars. Like for me driving is everything, I never feel as excited as I do when I first sit behind the wheel of a car I haven't tried. Even just sitting inside a car at a dealership gets me really excited, the feel of the steering wheel. The beautiful dashboard, the leather soft touch material.. I love everything about it, ahh.. I just feel like this feeling of peace just imagining the soft leather wrapped steering wheel, the feel of the stick shift. I have the key in my pocket, I insert it.. Switch it on and the most beautiful sound suddenly comes from the engine, whatever engine that might be, a V8 would be nice. I feel like in heaven and I'm just imaginating this, the real thing is even better.

Dealerships, how much I love dealerships. Also saabkyle04 videos, I'm really thankfull for his videos since it's the same feeling, well kind of the same feeling. Still always exciting watching his videos, especially at 1080P full screen, the POV (lol)  is perfect and you really do feel like you are there yourself. Making it easier to imagine actually owning some of those cars.

I mean yeah, I love cars and I consider myself a good driver, I try at least.. Of course everything can happen out there, it doesn't matter how good you are. But yeah, I love cars and driving.

I'm a natural born driver, driving has always come naturally to me, i even used to race GoKarts, i even raced against pros for a while before giving up. I raced in the minimax(i think it was named that) 125cc division. 

When i took my first motorbike test, the general time to be out on the road for is around 2 hours, i passed in 15 minutes XD and i've only had two accidents in my 3 years riding, i fell off last December because i rode over a patch of black ice and slid off and a few weeks later someone decided to reverse into me.

I've had my license for about a year now, and while I may not be a natural-born driver, I'm certainly better than when I started!

When I first started driving I was terrified. I hated driving and would avoid it at all costs. My driving instructor was my teacher from high school and I swear he only passed me out of pity... I've never been pulled over or been in any sort of accident, though, so I consider that a success! 

Since starting college last year, I've needed to drive myself to school because my parents had work. After having my grandma drive me to and from the school so I could learn how to get there, I was able to do it myself. At first, it was really scary... I hated driving by myself! But I've recently noticed how much better I am. I'm not longer scared--I don't even think about it. I just pay attention to the road and get to where I'm going. The other day I spent most of the day driving from my new workplace to home to orientation and all over the place and didn't even give it a second thought!

All I can say is... practice and time are what will make you better at driving. One year and I've already shown great improvement... and I'm not exactly a quick learner!

I'm a good driver though that would more because my dad had the foresight to hammer the rules into my head rather than natural skill. I don't always pay attention when driving though. I don't go very many places so the few that I do go to are pretty much done by muscle memory

driving is like any other skill, practice makes better. natural born talent makes little difference after a while

I started driving the day I turned 16, and I've never had an issue. Before that though, I had my permit, and my parents made me practice a lot, first in empty parking lots, then empty residential streets, then city streets, and finally the highway. Drivers Ed helped too. But now I'm a good driver, and have never had an accident. The only thing that ever happened was me getting a speeding ticket (Which I contested and smooth talked my way out of!)

(edited)

I would like to say I am, I know I'm better than half the other people in this city (Houston). But I've been told but many different people that I'm a good driver, of course that might just be them comparing me to my brother who is a horrible driver and scares the crap out of anyone that rides with him.

I've been in 3 wreaks, one the guy didn't even scratch my paint but I'll count it anyway all of them during traffic hours, 2 of them right after I got of of work, and 2 of them were my fault but the officer gave me a pass and didn't ticket me for one of them but I think he was just rolling his eyes because the girl just got a very minor fender bender and called him anyway.

Edited by Rappy0

(edited)

I've been driving ever since I descended from the sky on my golden chariot. I blaze across the pavement, leaving a trail of envious lesser drivers in my wake.

Would more could I ask for?

Pictured: Dramatic Reenactment of my first time driving:
img-1492418-1-0.jpg

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 4

heh...I'm not the best at driving, but people tell me I'm good. When I went for my license test, I literally had a panic attack halfway through and the guy was trying to calm me down, telling me to breathe and relax... I think that's my problem, I'm just scared. 

I've been avoiding getting my permit for forever now but I do have to get to it. but it runs in the family. my brother is one of the safest drivers I know, and I've never driven faster than 10 miles an hour so XDDD i'll be very paranoid about it.

(edited)

I'm an excellent driver. Dad lets me drive the Buick up and down the driveway.

All Rainman references aside, I really am a good driver. Never had a ticket, never had a wreck, and I beat a Porsche with my Chevy S10 in an impromptu street race. So yeah...

Edited by Walter Sobchak

I wouldn't consider myself to be a natural born bad driver, but I wouldn't call myself a natural born good one; at least not yet.

I've only been driving for about a month, but I feel like I'm doing pretty good so far. Today I signaled when I turned (Pretty nicely), and an officer happened to be watching. Also I've been able to turn into a parking space without hitting any would-be cars. I'm also pretty good about steadily easing onto the acceleration.

I don't think I'm a natural born bad driver.