Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music Genres you dislike.

Vox

Easily pop. I really don't like the instruments (If any), I don't like the sounds, I don't like the tone, I don't like the lyrics for most of them, I don't like the music videos for most of them and I don't like the singing voice for most of them. Also, I think some of them are way to cheery. I prefer music with dark tones.

I also dislike rap and hip-hop (With the exceptions of MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns. Those games have hip-hop music that I actually like).

• Adult contemporary (or most songs played at a wedding reception)

• Some Christmas songs

• Anything with Autotune

• Boy band music (One Direction, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, New Kids on the Block, etc.)

Dubstep and modern pop and rap. Usually, the musicians in all three of these categories think a macbook and Garage Band is all you need to make it famous, and you really don't need any skill or musical talent.

I'm more of a rock and metal guy :P

I think all genres has their gems. I listen to rock, metal, rap, opera, pop, orchestra, techno, trance and on and on... But all of them also have their huge chunk of shit.

And whats up with the pop hate? Remember people like Michael Jackson? ;)

But I guess the genre with the averagely most shit is actually techno. It is one of my most favorite genres, but the fact that anyone can download a program and TRY to make a song, they mostly end up bad as shit.

However, those who actually CAN make music, makes some amazing tunes.

tl;dr Techno has LOADS of shit, but the gems are amazing

Meh, now it's just gone from ear grating to kind of boring. And I can still hear faint distortions in the sound.

I guess my biggest criticism with dubstep is that it feels soulless. Nothing really feels uplifting or heart pounding about it. Now, contrast this song . . .

I think the evidence speaks for itself.

you know tommy lee (the drummer and one of the founding members for motley crue) produces EDM and plays dubstep/electro/house at shows right?

And now my likes and dislikes...

Yeah, to be honest...I listen to most everything. Basically anything that's had good effort put into it, good production value, and requires talent...

As a producer/musician/music lover...I've found there's good in every genre, no matter what it is!

I enjoy the ballad side of country, as well as some of the folk side...

I enjoy older rap/hip hop, due to some of the messages and better created instrumentals

I enjoy Rock, because I can appreciate a good organic guitar riff, and the "old style" of recording/producing.

I enjoy Metal/Hybrids because there's a lot of it that's hybrid between melodic electronic, and heavy guitar riffs

I enjoy brostep/trance/house/EDM due to the fact that as someone who makes it, I realize it's a lot harder to make

than most would think, and a lot of it has a ton of heart/melody/intelligence to it.

I even enjoy trap on occasion, as long as it's still being creative and original...(not just a sample repeated with trap drums...)

Basically I'll put it this way...

Out of all these genres and more...there are songs I don't like...

But out of all these genres and more, there are ones I do...

for me it comes down to effort, production, melody, and creativity.

and also as someone who produces music...

If you can't remake it yourself, then you have no right to call it "effortless"

so to all those who are in massive hate on dubstep/trance/house/edm etc.

try making some yourself! If you can do it easily and quickly with no effort, you have my blessing

to call it "effortless"

same with rock, rap, and country...

everyone has their own tastes and it's wonderful to have them...keeps music interesting

but people need to stop being so judgemental on "what qualifies as music and what doesn't"...music has evolved in so many ways over the years, and personally, I find that a good thing. without evolution, we'd still be banging stones together and grunting.

Edited by BrilliantVenture
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely hate country. I'm so sorry to the people who do, but I think it sounds all the same. e.e

I also really dislike a lot of the "screamo" music as people call it. That gives me a headache. xD

Dubstep is something I love~ though. Any kind of electro, upbeat music gets my attention. 

Especially things like the DjPon3 makes:

Edited by PrincessWubsy~

Music Genres I dislike

Rap Music: Yes, that is old and new rap. I'm sorry but I don't even consider this music. I just don't like the sound of it and most of the lyrics in rap "music" are very negative.

Classical: I find classical music to be very boring. It usually puts me to sleep because its so boring.

Modern Pop: Don't get me started on how I feel about Nikki Minaj, Justin Bieber etc. 80s pop is alright.

To be honest, I don't hate a specific genre because of its sound, more of the content. Personally I can get into most genres easily, cause besides heavy metal/slash/screamo/etc., I listen to anything under the sun. Aside from country as well, cause it all sounds the same to me. I can only describe two categories of country: Old & New XP

I think it falls more on the artist to blame for how a genre sounds, and especially if said artist is particularly known for that genre, they need to hold up their reputation and make their music tolerable. I'll give an example of some good artists compared to bad artists.

For example: Eminem to 2 Chainz. Eminem known for his extremely fast raps, comedic timing and punchlines, and rather questionable  & controversial content (Which is one of his main grabs). Now obviously the man has talent, but he also has character. A lot of his songs stretch over to several periods of his life, talking about his issues with women, homophobia, being bullied as a kid, growing up in Detroit of all places, his drug addiction back in the day, and claiming his heir to the throne as "Rap God." through rapid lyrics and wicked fast bars. He's also made inspiring works, such as Lose Yourself and Not Afriad, in which the former he tells his fans to never miss an opportunity, as quoted in the song, "You've only got one shot." Not Afraid talks about his recovery, kind of like when Discord was reformed from being chaotic, Eminem was reformed from his drug addiction and his alter ego, Slim Shady. And in one of his more recent singles from his latest album, MMLP2, he apologizes to his mother for giving her endless crap in is earlier songs, and tries to renew his relationship through that song. Eminem has had a lot to say over the years, no matter his behavior, and honestly I think I can walk away, educated, entertained, and encouraged from just listening to any one of his songs. And sure he made songs like Just Lose It and Shake That, but he manages to take even the dullest of subjects and make them at least a little interesting. 

2 Chainz is known for rapping about butts, money, hoes, weed.....your stereotypical rapper. 

Now look at that and tell me that all rap is mindless. Point being, don't judge a single genre because of it's sound. You don't have to like it, just don't go around saying all (genre) sucks. Depending on what genre you're into, you can at least find one person in that genre that is a legend. Like Metallica for Metal, Bob Marley for Reggae, Jimi Hendrix for Rock, Michael Jackson for Pop, and as I previously mentioned, Eminem for Rap. There's plenty more than those people obviously, I'm just making a point.

*takes ranting cap off* 

Even though there may be exceptional songs to my overall disliked genres I'm gonna be typical for my age group and say I dislike rap, dance pop whatever the hell they call that genre exploding the radio nowadays and metal. I do like some forms of indie but sometimes it's just really hard to listen too. I mainly focus on melodies, chord choices and tempo for me to click to a song. The quality for this area and focus of music you've gotta admit has been vastly deminishing over the years- everything's about lyrics now I guess.

Music genres I dislike the most are Screamo and Heavy Metal Rock.

Screamo is nothing but screaming in the mic, which doesn't make it music at all (and it's awfully annoying).

Heavy Metal Rock is excessive Metal Rock which is too intense and the messages behind most of the songs are ones that I would not agree with.

Other than that, I do like many genres of music in general.

Rap Music: Yes, that is old and new rap. I'm sorry but I don't even consider this music. I just don't like the sound of it and most of the lyrics in rap "music" are very negative.

Not all rap is a guy talking about how 'hard' he is while there's noise in the background. Some rap songs have very interesting lyrics. This song and this song, for instance.

Classical: I find classical music to be very boring. It usually puts me to sleep because its so boring.

Don't try to tell me you can't listen to this without getting sleepy.

Modern Pop: Don't get me started on how I feel about Nikki Minaj, Justin Bieber etc. 80s pop is alright.

Since you didn't provide any reason for your dislike, I'm unable to defend the genre.

I'm a very musically diverse person. There are various pieces from different genres that I like and dislike. The only genre of music I would dismiss as a whole is screamo.

Edited by Asterisk Propernoun
  • Brohoof 3

Music Genres I dislike

Rap Music: I'm sorry but I don't even consider this music. 

Well you shouldn't consider any type of music, music then. Anything that can be perceived by the ear is music. Even silence.

Anyway, genres I dislike: 

Metal: Purely for the fast drums and in screamo the screaming. I also dislike how most metal has an evil theme around it.

Rock: Not sure why, just never enjoyed it. A few exceptions would include some songs within Psychedelic Rock, such as a few of Pink Floyd's songs.

Edited by Metra
  • Brohoof 2

There are genres where I don't like a lot of the songs of said genre, but I don't like saying I dislike those genres because there have always been a few songs of those genres that I have liked. The genres I tend to like the least amount of songs from would be rap, metal, and country; but there are songs I like from each of those genres.

Country(self explanatory)

Most rock

Kids stuff(I have to listen to that EVERY WEEKEND when my younger cousins visit. They're both squeakers and act like they're 4 and 7 when they're 6 & 11)

All Metal

Easy listening(too mellow for me)

Game music(some of it just drones on and bores me to sleep)

Funk/Disco

Pop from 2013-14(must I explain this?)

I think that's all I have.