Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G1 or G4: Which is Better?

Twilight S7

G4. 

G4 like as in... The channel that had re-runs of Cops all the time.

2007 was the beginning of the end for those guys, IMO.

And it all started when they got abruptly taken off regular cable for beats-the-buck-out-of-me reasons.

• Brohoof 1

Depends. Pick G1 if you like better and more compelling stories, and more interesting villains. Pick G4 if you like better and more compelling characters, and more interesting heroes.

Truth be told, i'm more in the former. Sometimes, G4 has such an utter lack of stakes I find it impossible to get interested. I may care about the G4 cast more, but more often than not, I find myself more interested in what G1's doing... even if I can barely remember their names.

• 3 weeks later...

G4, without a doubt. Better art, better characters, better stories, better music, you name it.

The only thing that G1 had going is some really cool villains, perhaps even more so than what G4 has to offer. I also like how G1 is meant to be a gender-neutral show, much like MLP:FiM. It's just a shame that the villains are the only interesting thing to offer.

G1.5 is horrible, however. I can't stand stories about relationships and stereotypical adolescents, and G1.5 is stuffed with stuff like that. >_>

• Brohoof 1

If you're going by the toys, then G1. They look much better built and have more personality in them. G4's first-party toys are cheaply built, lazy, bland, obnoxious, and stereotypical.

If you're going by the animation, then G4. While I don't like G1 that much, it isn't that bad objectively. Unlike Tales, G3, and G3.5, it actually treats its audience with respect. (Like what @ said, though, Tales — part of G1 — is reprehensible because the characters are stereotypes, and cruelty is glorified.) FIM recaptures the gender-neutral roots of the franchise and often subverts the stereotypes of feminine entertainment. Also, the animation, story, music, and characterization quality are much higher.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Ok think on this: NO G1 means no G4 which means

no: MY LITTLE PONY, FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC!

G1 is the roots,  the seed and i think it should get

its props and bows given what it gave us now.....

I like G1,  given it was made in the 80's and things

had to be HAND DRAWN AND COLORED WITH OUT

COMPUTERS! So give it each Gen its due

for what it added to the shows and love even it

you may hate it!

• Brohoof 1

Well I don't want to say "obviously" because it is a matter of taste, but with the amount of genuine heart and emotion that the creators have put into G4, I think one certainly has a sizable advantage.

Now, while I don't hate the first generation, I still won't be it's advocate when comparing these two.

-More realized world

-Three dimensional characters

-Better humor

-Actually relatable situations and emotions for kids as well as adults.

No contest, G4 takes it for me.

(edited)

I like Generation 1.5 the best.

The Characters are way better than in FIM, since in many Episodes the Mane 6 are pretty much overreacting to everything, most Rarity  >_>

The Drawing Style shows the ponies on 4 and on 2 Legs, which i find very interesting.The Ponys have also a better drawing Style and look more than Ponys than G4 do.

I personally find My Little Pony Tales more beautiful than Friendship is Magic, the storys are interesting and the Episodes often very funny  ^_^

My List goes as Follows :

1. My Little Pony Tales

2. My Little Pony - Twinklewish Adventure ( because Scootaloo is the most badass in this one, and i prefer G3,5 Scootaloo more than the G4 one )

3. G4

4. The Rest of G1.

5. The Rest of G3.

Edited by Dune_Gosbil

• 6 years later...
On 10/17/2014 at 3:12 PM, SL4MT said:

Personally, I like G4 way more than G1. I don't like the 1980s frame by frame animation, and in my opinion, the design of the G1 ponies either. G4 all the way.

I like g4 better than g1 too

On 10/17/2014 at 3:43 PM, Scootaloodle said:

G4:

G1 had it’s flaws but I do like it as a sort of history lesson and a look at what came before though.

I expect the majority of replies will say G4, and if I’m honest I think it’s a bit of a silly question to be asking, since this forum is for the most part a forum all about the G4 show and not really about the others.

But still it may lead to some interesting discussions :)

g4 for the win

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I prefer G4 over G1 but I like G1 too. It had some amazing villains and some of the characters were cute. However G4 has more things to offer such as more interesting and relatable characters, better music, better animation, and witty humor.

• Brohoof 1