Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any autistic bronies here in MLP Forums?

Jonny Music

It's a concern to me that I cannot find any Bronies like myself out there who has a learning disorder like I do. For instance, I have High-Functioning Autism (HFA for short), a.k.a. Aspergers Syndrome.

There has been some talk on the internet that apparently the entire show of MLP:FiM actually helps people (in general) who have autism with their social skills. And I am yet to see any studies and evidence of this being true.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 2

Hey there, @Jonny Music. I have moved your topic from Meetups to Sugarcube Corner, as the former is reserved for topics involving IRL-meetups while the latter is best for more general discussion regarding the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

I have Aspergers Syndrome. It has been a problem until I went to a middle/high school created for people who have autism and other learning disabilities with the staff having the ability to understand people like me. While it's still a big deal to me in terms of my personality, going to that school helped me build some confidence in the outside world.

• Brohoof 4

I have Asbergers. It doesn't bother me too much, however, since I believe I am far too insane to actually care. I see it as a advantage, actually. Somehow, it gave me super memory. And about the social business, I've grown used to it, and people don't mind me being "socially awkward" then and then.

Edited by Bradley
  • Brohoof 2

I don't have autism, however my little brother does. Its a low band of autism but it can make him tough to deal with at times. It seems to have been giving him trouble making friends at his new school so I try to be patient with him.

• Brohoof 1

I've also grown to accept my diagnosis (when I was 4 (I think)). Here in Canada, school boards really do care about their autistic students. Heck, April is already acknowledged as Autism Awareness Month, and I am grateful for that.

I've also been with groups specifically for autistic personals like me. Since Elementary to present, I've had great support from the disability advisors.

Um, autism is not a disability... it's a disorder. The difference between a disorder and disability is this. The former makes your social abilities a jumbled, but they're still functional. The latter makes you unable to do whatever you can't do, hence its name, disability. :P

That aside, I have high functioning autism myself. I've been diagnosed at the age of 2, and in all honesty, I couldn't care less about it. I used to be rather sensitive about it, but over the years, I accepted the fact that I have it. It isn't something I think about all day, thankfully.

Yes I'm aware that it's known However, it expands beyond that with different types and severity of Autism. Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

I'd say it's fairly common around here from experience. Someone who was recently diagnosed would not be able to notice the commonality of autism in communities such as these as well as someone who has been diagnosed for as long as I have. It's a nice, friendly, and very active community, and it proves very attractive to us on the Spectrum.

I've had an Asperger's diagnosis for a while, but the awkward traits I've shown have been waning over time. I've been adjusting really well, though I do still have a logical mind and have trouble with many tasks.

But, we can relate, I'm glad to see the awareness here and I hope to help out if need be.

• Brohoof 2

I'd say it's fairly common around here from experience. Someone who was recently diagnosed would not be able to notice the commonality of autism in communities such as these as well as someone who has been diagnosed for as long as I have. It's a nice, friendly, and very active community, and it proves very attractive to us on the Spectrum.

I've had an Asperger's diagnosis for a while, but the awkward traits I've shown have been waning over time. I've been adjusting really well, though I do still have a logical mind and have trouble with many tasks.

But, we can relate, I'm glad to see the awareness here and I hope to help out if need be.

If anything, I've gotten MORE severe over time (probably due to stress. LOTS OF STRESS)

If anything, I've gotten MORE severe over time (probably due to stress. LOTS OF STRESS)

I'm going through a lot of stress, too. But the best thing you can do is stop, think, examine your situation, and consider all of your options.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going through a lot of stress, too. But the best thing you can do is stop, think, examine your situation, and consider all of your options.

Sometimes there's too many options.

What I've learned is that you can't put yourself to a set path, because it's probably going to get destroyed.

I have Asperger's Syndrome too - mild compared to some, I think, but it's definitely affected my life. I've also noticed it to be pretty common in online fandoms - not just bronies - which is cool, and interesting. Maybe for some (not all of course) of us, it's easier to express ourselves online/through text rather than IRL? Just a random thought~

I don't think watching MLP has improved my social skills personally, and I haven't really heard that theory before but if following the lessons in the show help people, of course that's awesome ^_^ I can see how it might be particularly for young autistic kids (or just those with similar problems making friends, etc) thought to get the benefit of the messages while they're still learning. Of course, a TV show can't be a substitute for RL practice and experience in social situations (believe me, this I learned the hard way), but I can see how it can be a good and useful way for some people relate to and understand certain situations, concepts etc. :)

• Brohoof 3

Well, that depends on who you ask. The government certainly thinks I am autistic, but in truth, I'm not really, I'm just milking it for a free paycheck. I suppose having such a lack of morals could be a symptom of something though.

• Brohoof 1

Um, autism is not a disability... it's a disorder. The difference between a disorder and disability is this. The former makes your social abilities a jumbled, but they're still functional. The latter makes you unable to do whatever you can't do, hence its name, disability. :P

That aside, I have high functioning autism myself. I've been diagnosed at the age of 2, and in all honesty, I couldn't care less about it. I used to be rather sensitive about it, but over the years, I accepted the fact that I have it. It isn't something I think about all day, thankfully.

I beg to differ. My form of autism is considered a disability. People with more severe forms are considered as being disabled because there are things they can't do the same as others. I have trouble with most daily living skills and functioning in a normal setting.

Anyway, I don't consider myself a brony, but I do have autism. Also, HFA and AS are two different things. The difference is that HFA means that you had language delays as a child. I did, and I have HFA myself. However, if you had no language delays at all as a child, you have AS.

• Brohoof 1

I beg to differ. My form of autism is considered a disability. People with more severe forms are considered as being disabled because there are things they can't do the same as others. I have trouble with most daily living skills and functioning in a normal setting.

Anyway, I don't consider myself a brony, but I do have autism. Also, HFA and AS are two different things. The difference is that HFA means that you had language delays as a child. I did, and I have HFA myself. However, if you had no language delays at all as a child, you have AS.

Eh, I suppose we have different forms of autism then. Alternatively, I assume you have other disabilities considering that high-functioning autism is the only illness I have.

Actually, I only have HFA and ADHD. I haven't been officially diagnosed with any developmental delays, so i can only assume I have them. D: It could also screw up my disability income if I were to get re-assessed. Most of the people I see tell me that my issues with daily living skills are due to my autism anyway.

Actually, I only have HFA and ADHD. I haven't been officially diagnosed with any developmental delays, so i can only assume I have them. D: It could also screw up my disability income if I were to get re-assessed. Most of the people I see tell me that my issues with daily living skills are due to my autism anyway.

Huh, I see. Welp, if you think that autism's a disability, fine by me. I'm just gonna stick by with what I've heard throughout my life, then.