Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would romances ever fly with the fans?

Doodle Dabble

Unless it's Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle or some other pair shoehorned into the series, I'd say there'd be some happy people. I'm going to destroy Hasbro and/or DHX if they make RariJack canon, though.

Edited by DeltaMuffin
  • Brohoof 1

Hmm.... as long as they don't go BulkShy( oh gosh I hate that ship), FlashLight, or some other pair that doesn't fit, I think I'd be pretty content :3

Edited by Mint Drop
  • Brohoof 1

I'm really not getting it. Why are people hating Flash Sentry so much? Waifu stealing or the fact that he's there and doesn't do much? Seems kind of a harsh punishment for it. What would you guys think if the writers have Flash Sentey character?

• Brohoof 5

I'm really not getting it. Why are people hating Flash Sentry so much? Waifu stealing or the fact that he's there and doesn't do much? Seems kind of a harsh punishment for it. What would you guys think if the writers have Flash Sentey character?

I don't hate him and don't mind the pairing too much, I just think their "romance" in EqG was too contrived. I don't like the fact that he was made solely to be Twi's love interest,  but still, as I already said, i don't hate him.

• Brohoof 2

People seem pretty content with Spike's crush over Rarity. Because it's cute I guess.

If Twilight let's say.. got married to a Prince or something, shit would hit the fan.

• Brohoof 1

No way, there are far too may ships for it to fly.

EG Dash X Soarin becomes Canon

Congrats you've pissed off the Dash X Derpy crowd the Dash X AJ crowd the Dash X Fluttershy crowd and the ridiculous amount of other ships for Dash alone. Judging by how majority of the fan base reacted when Flash and Twi were being cutesy, any canon relationships will cause chaos.

Edited by QuirkyUsername
  • Brohoof 3

Hmm.... as long as they don't go BulkShy( oh gosh I hate that ship)

:( :( :(

I think that shipping should be left to the fans. If they DO want to add canon romance, they should stick to the minor characters in order to avoid upsetting the most popular ships. That or introduce new characters and make them fall in love with each other (Like they did with Shining Armor and Cadance).

In general, I think it would result in outrage, because TV writers never do it as well as fanfic writers. There's also the major lack of well developed male characters, which means they'd most likely just create a new one, which is one of the mistakes that TV writers make. Romance is much more fun when the characters have known eachother for a long time first.

So, assuming that it's still too controversial to openly feature lesbian romance (although that bit of Lyra/Bonbon in Rainbow Rocks was definitely intended that way and I don't think anyone complained), then the only viable pairs I can think of are:

Cheerilee x Big Mac

Fluttershy x Big Mac

Fluttershy x Bulk Biceps

Fluttershy x Discord

Celestia x Discord

Soarin x Dash

Spike x Sweetie Belle

And of those, the first three are meh, Fluttershy/Discord is pretty cute, Celestia/Discord is the end of the world because Celestia/Twilight is the best ship :P Soarin/Dash isn't the worst, but I don't really like it, and Spike/Sweetie just feels wrong in a replacement goldfish kind of way.

Or an even better option would be for Spike to visibly grow up a bit, and then in a later episode have Rarity finally ask him to be her boyfriend. They're really a great personality match, and the long history would make it very sweet, plus inoffensive since it wouldn't change the status quo too much.

Edited by dekutree64
  • Brohoof 1

One big problem is when they throw a character with no character development or personality at an already well developed character. (Flash Sentry X Twilight for example.) 

It doesn't work.

Always thought Lyra X Bon Bon was official but maybe that is just me thinking that since they didn't shove it in front of us and force us to accept it for an hour and a half. :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

I'd say yes. I think more people would be interested in seeing the dynamics of the characters explored in such a way than the ones who would cry about their sunken ships.

Don't get me wrong, that will be a very loud and upset group. I just don't think they represent the majority of the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

I do not think anybrony would be happy with romances in MLP:FIM. As much as we'd like it personally there is always a good percentage of bronies who will hate any ship that is not theirs. Rainbow Dash x Soarin. 20% of bronies approve, 80% disagree (Not factual percentages, but you get the point) There will always be a large percent of bronies that will be against shipping characters that aren't theirs or just shipping in general.

I think that the mention of PinkiePie in having a Coltfriend in season 5 caused some brony confrontation for all the PinkiePie fans that want her to be with their ships or to be their waifu.

I'd love a canon romance!

The only reasons I don't like FlashLight is that:

A. Flash Sentry isn't nearly developed enough to be the love interest of one of the main characters

B. It's in a spinoff movie

As long as they give it the time it would need, I think it would be a great addition to the show. It might make some folks butthurt that their waifu is taken, but the anime fans have seemed to be able to deal with that. Surly those Bronies could live to deal with it as well.

• Brohoof 2