Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would romances ever fly with the fans?

Doodle Dabble

I LOVE Flash Sentry and Twilight being a couple but I don't understand why there is so much hate on them being a couple.

Because:

1. Shipping is very popular with the fans, and introducing a new competitor for the most popular ships is bound to make some people angry.
  2. Flash Sentry is not a very interesting character, he doesn't do much in Equestria Girls and could easily have been taken completely out of Rainbow Rocks.
  3. His "romance" with Twilight gets very little development. She just falls in love at first sight with him. Nothing ever happens between them asides from some blushing and a dance at the end of the first movie.
  • Brohoof 2

No. One of the fun things about MLP is that there is none of that lovey dubby shit.

As much as I love my ships,they are for the fan world,and the fan world only.

We don't need romance in a show about friendship. 

• Brohoof 5

They already have Cadance and Shining Armor. ...I think that's enough.

I hate that couple,and I hate that it's canon. So,I block it out of my mind completely.

But,I agree.

Even with a good pairing, I'm not confident that the show can do romance justice. Any of the interesting conflicts or plots could be just done between two friends, and I don't think shipping opens any new doors to the writers that they can really use in a TV-Y show. It would just be a novelty. I'm not saying they'll never do it, but you can't expect it to be anything like shipping fanfics.

With how much of the mlp fandom is, any pairing that is not the fan themself and the pony ( IRL ) is to be met with instant dislike lol. 

People get jealous when their fantasy character gets with someone not them. They really do! 

I do not think anybrony would be happy with romances in MLP:FIM. As much as we'd like it personally there is always a good percentage of bronies who will hate any ship that is not theirs. Rainbow Dash x Soarin. 20% of bronies approve, 80% disagree (Not factual percentages, but you get the point) There will always be a large percent of bronies that will be against shipping characters that aren't theirs or just shipping in general.

I think that the mention of PinkiePie in having a Coltfriend in season 5 caused some brony confrontation for all the PinkiePie fans that want her to be with their ships or to be their waifu.

This is a not good reason because if anyone in cartoon industry cared about certain shippers then there would be no cartoon shipping at all.

There would be no NaruHina because of NaruSaki, there would be no KorraSami because of angry Makorra (or no Kataang because of Zutara). Romance in the show depend on the writing and the only reason it is not yet a permanent addition to the mane6 cast is because it creates problem in narration. There are many writers writing the FiM, for many of them writing a love couple is hard for depiction. That's mostly why Cadance and Shining Armor are no longer shown together. Now imagine main characters like Discord anf Fluttershy just acting like lovers in Total Drama series. It would ruin their dynamic and mostly reduce them to 2 love bird characters like Trenderhoof/Rarity Cheerilee/Big Mac(on love poison) and FlashLight were depicted. No interaction other than blushing and snuggling.

I think any shipping will most likely end in the last episode or last season just like Avatar,Korra,Kim Possible,Teen TItans most shounen anime and tv series do. It's just common for adventure/comedy series to not focus on romance when it is not a main purpose of the series. However writers will never cater to shippers or people who have "waifu" as this would reduce them to spineless content makers who only do pandering to the fans. Meghan McCarthy have her own vision of those characters destination in their careers and romantic lives and only she will decide on them.

• Brohoof 1

Doodle Dabble, on 09 Jan 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

Most romances in the cannon MLP have been MAJOR flops with the fans.

Most? Has there been more than one? Just the Shadence as far as I know. I just made that name up on the spot. Don't know if it's a thing. Do you like it? Anyway, I'm not entirely sure that romances would work with any of the six, but I for one would love to see it, if it were done well. It would be a tall order, but I think it could be amazing.

Sir Godot, on 09 Jan 2015 - 8:01 PM, said:

I hate that couple,and I hate that it's canon. So,I block it out of my mind completely.

Why? I mean, I have a couple things I hate and block from my mind, so I get that. But why this? Just curious. I mean, it's not like people had a bunch of Cadence ships prior to her wedding, and then were mad when their ship fantasy was ruined. It's not like Cadence was everyone's waifu before the episode. I mean, duh, they were invented on the spot for that episode. Is that the reason? Not enough backstory? I just can't figure out why anyone would find it so horrible. Is it because Shining Armor sounds like he's voiced by a teenage surf nut who hangs out on the beach all day going, "Duuuude, I found these shades on like a dead body. Nanotubular, man. Check out my abs. You could like totally literally grate cheese on em. Go ahead. Try. Shaa, this guy's like a total gebronie, brah." Is that the reason? Well, me, I love the Shadance. Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 1

Why? I mean, I have a couple things I hate and block from my mind, so I get that. But why this? Just curious. I mean, it's not like people had a bunch of Cadence ships prior to her wedding, and then were mad when their ship fantasy was ruined. It's not like Cadence was everyone's waifu before the episode. I mean, duh, they were invented on the spot for that episode. Is that the reason? Not enough backstory? I just can't figure out why anyone would find it so horrible. Is it because Shining Armor sounds like he's voiced by a teenage surf nut who hangs out on the beach all day going, "Duuuude, I found these shades on like a dead body. Nanotubular, man. Check out my abs. You could like totally literally grate cheese on em. Go ahead. Try. Shaa, this guy's like a total gebronie, brah." Is that the reason? Well, me, I love the Shadance.

Actually no. I don't hate Cadence personally. I just hate her with Shining Armor.

I much prefer Shining either being single or with Flash Sentry.

• Brohoof 1

Ha. HELL NO! You saw the major overreaction of FlashLight, no way in hell are they making any other Canon ships unless it's two entirely new characters like they did with Shining Armor and Cadence. Notice how we NEVER heard of either of them and then the first episode they show up in is their wedding? That's how Hasbro and DHX got away with it. If either of them had been introduced in earlier episodes, THEN the wedding took place and such, people would have lost their shit.

• Brohoof 1

If a couple as minor as Mr and Mrs Cake can stir up trouble, MLP should never make a shipping with major characters canon. Hinting at shippings is the most it should ever do, IMO. It's good to acknowledge the fans with a few small nods towards shippings, but it's a really bad idea to cement a major shipping in the show.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. As for pairing Mr and Mrs Cake is enough ;) But seriously I don't think so, if we start having pairing it will change the show, I could understand making an episode for instance Rarity gets a boyfriend and starts avoiding her friends but then the lesson is she needs to make time for everyone etc. but even then I don't think so, we know ponys have attractions to other ponys (like with Rarity and him) so Hasbro left their door open to possibly adding in a relationship but they still shouldn't because the fans would quickly see its changed the show too much.

ANNNDDD under NO circumstances may Flash get with Twilight!!!! I refuse to allow that D:

I honestly do not see the big deal. Really, I do not understand why so many seem to have something against romance in the show.

I mean, yeah, I'd prefer to see a relationship develop naturally and not be forced; ala Flash Sentry & Twilight. I mean I wouldn't mind it at all if...let's say Soarin' & Dash became close friends, developed true feelings for each other, and eventually formed a romantic bond.

I honestly have no problem with that. Again as long as it isn't forced, I'm fine with it.

B-but what about muh waifu? ;-; 

I don't know it's a kids show and romance is sort of on the table with Cadance and Shining Armour and hinted with Flash and Twilight...I just don't see anyone else developing love interests, it was a pretty bad reception with the whole Flash and Twilight thing in EQG and people were pissed. They barely touched upon Twilight and Flash in Rainbow Rocks but I assume that's because of the hatred of Flash.

I think some touch of romance could be ok with the show,  maybe have one of the CMC get a

crush of some kind would make for some good watching,  we all had a crush of some kind as

a kid at one point and its part of growing up!  Now the Mane six?  I think romance could be ok

if its done right and helps to move along the story in a good way! Some fans will have to get

over it and grow up a bit...

Personally, I'd prefer it if the show stayed as Frienship is Magic, rather than Romance.

If true love is ever needed to solve a problem in the future, they can just use Cadance and Shining Armor again.

Besides them, there are already canon romances within the show such as The Cakes or Cranky with Matilda if they writers really wanted to an episode focusing on relationships for whatever reason.

Other characters would be fine.  I'm *totally* okay with Big Mac and Cheerilee hooking up.  But with the Mane Six?  It just feels like it would be a distraction, and if their handling of Flash Sentry gives any perspective, they won't be particularly inventive in handling it.

• 2 months later...

Short-term crushes and infatuations are fine, as well as nods to shippings popular within the fandom, but for a show like MLP, I feel like any couples should be introduced as couples, not as individual characters who later begin dating. I think it'd be good for MLP to address crushes more directly, since they are something that kids have to learn about (and I would surely be interested in how they'd tackle a subject like this), but a single episode is enough. Relationships between main characters wouldn't be a good idea, and it'd be risky even with secondary and very minor characters.

I think it's okay to have a couple like the Cakes, since they were introduced together, and the same goes for Cadance and Shining Armor, but I strongly oppose any established characters getting into relationships. I enjoy being able to imagine things, and I love it when the producers hint at romances between the characters, but romantic relationships between major characters shouldn't become canon, in my opinion.

I say this as a chronic shipper.

• Brohoof 1

Romance would be nice as long as it isn't cheesy and... the kind of romance that would make somepony like Rainbow Dash puke. They can do romance without the cute talking and pet names... 

Ships wouldn't even sink. I mean Princess Cadence and Shining Armor are married, but they are still shipped with other ponies. People will still ship no matter what. 

I don't hate him and don't mind the pairing too much, I just think their "romance" in EqG was too contrived. I don't like the fact that he was made solely to be Twi's love interest,  but still, as I already said, i don't hate him.

Agreed, the way they handled the romance subplot was bad, and I think no movie have enough time to flesh it out properly. I still don't mind great and evil waifu thief though  :P

Oh no. We all saw the shitstorm Flashlight caused. And Reflections, the comic arc that had a major romance plot, is widely regarded as the worst arc in the main comic series. As always, there will be those that don't mind it at all, but those that don't like it will be very vocal about it. Personally I'd prefer it if the writers just avoided it as much as possible, especially with main characters. This fandom has enough drama as it is.

Oh no. We all saw the shitstorm Flashlight caused. And Reflections, the comic arc that had a major romance plot, is widely regarded as the worst arc in the main comic series. As always, there will be those that don't mind it at all, but those that don't like it will be very vocal about it. Personally I'd prefer it if the writers just avoided it as much as possible, especially with main characters. This fandom has enough drama as it is.

It's all subjective in the end, and I'm personally a big fan of the Reflections arc, and I know plenty of people who like it well enough, so yeah.

A romance can fly, but it has to have substance. Good King Sombra had it; Flash Sentry didn't. Granted I liked Flash as he is pretty nice & all, but that was all there was to him. As a character, we needed more.