Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Gilda honestly all that bad?

Tilt

Now this is me over-thinking and analysing a character, the character I will be doing this to is Gilda. When I think of season 1 and it's antagonists I almost always think of Gilda first because she made a big impact on me, Trixie was good but Gilda gives me more pause for thought. Why is this you might ask? Well I love mythological creatures, I always have done they fascinate me because they are remnants of a bygone age and a lot of mythological creatures did exist but were miss-sightings or people blowing things out of proportion with tales of fancy. We still have them but not to the extent such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, granted both don't exist but it's miss-sighting and a fairy tale.

Now what drew me to Gilda was my favourite mythological creature is actually gryphons, I adore their lore and everything about them. One thing about gryphons was it is written that their feathers could cure many a illness including blindness, but I digress. I'm going to dissect her character right down to the core and also bring into account what the show taught us about what they know of Gryphons.

So first off we know that Gilda is from a far away land, not from Equestria and also quite a rare sight in Equestria itself. So that means Equestria would probably be very ignorant of how gryphons operate a core character trait of gryphons and something Gilda has in spades is a hot temper and the risk of blowing their tops easily, this will come up later in my analysis and brought up something that always bugged me about the episode in question. But onto the question, is she really that bad?

Lets look at why Gilda arrived in the first place, it was to visit an old friend and catch up with her. As we then see, Pinkie Pie prances in and introduces herself and is well within her rights too, but this is where it all goes wrong. Rainbow Dash asks Pinkie Pie if she can spend some time alone with Gilda in order to catch up. Pinkie Pie does accept but in the very next scene is already bugging Dash and Gilda again. Now it does not tell us how much time passed between the two scenes but judging how Pinkie bugs Cranky doodle donkey in a friend in-deed I'm going to hazard a guess and say not that long.

Now they continue to race away from Pinkie as is Gilda's way to say "I want more time alone" now the fact she doesn't say it out loud could very well be the fact she is trying to control her temper and not become hot-headed as I said is a common trait amongst gryphons. Un-able to take a hint Pinkie Pie pursues the pair and as such triggers Gilda to now say it to her face in a tempered fashion. Now a bit harsh you may think? I would agree but I believe this is the result of Gilda just saying she wants more time alone with Dash in the only way a gryphon knows how. Gilda does not want to hog Dash to herself all day and I'll prove that later.

The next time we see Gilda is in a scene that I think is very sloppy and just poor in terms of writing. The whole Lets Villainize her to the 8th degree and I shall break down each incident that Pinkie portrays as bad, first off we got the snake-tail prank in which Gilda scares Granny-smith into thinking their is a snake in an apple. This makes Pinkie think that just because Granny didn't know it was a prank that it was mean. A bit of a far stretch but Pinkie corrects herself saying that the prank was pretty funny.

The second act of "Villainy" would be the theft of the apple which is morally wrong I will give it that but here comes a bit of over-thinking on the universe the show is set in and the state of Gilda. We know that Gilda isn't from Equestria, this means she is most likely from another country and what do other countries tend to have? Different currencies, chances are that Gilda didn't even have any bits to give to the vendor at that current time and only took one apple and lets be real, Ponyville isn't exactly starving for apples when it's right next door to a successful apple orchard so chances are those apples are cheap and probably only worth not even one bit unless you buy them in a bulk. So to me Gilda didn't really harm anyone in doing that so I let it slide. I mean if she took a bulk and ran then yes, I would call her character into question but it was just one apple so to me that wouldn't of been a biggie.

The third one and probably the most infamous one is when she makes Fluttershy cry, now I can not really defend her entirely on this action but really, it is not that hard to make Fluttershy cry and also Fluttershy was actually being inconsiderate in that scene which not a lot of people bring up. Fluttershy was walking backwards, not looking where she was going...through a busy market place! I don't care who you are if you were walking through a market place and someone was not looking where they were going and walking backwards, chances are you would probably get a bit perturbed by them. Unfortunately Gilda is a gryphon and thus very hot tempered. This brought on the wraith of a gryphon in which Gilda yells at her and sends her away crying. Also, is it really that hard to make Fluttershy cry? lol

Now this eventually leads Pinkie Pie to throw Gilda a party to try and cheer Gilda up, Gilda is suspect of Pinkie because she has been on Gilda's case all throughout the day, following her, bugging her and just in general being a nuisance not to mention doing the first prank with the hoof buzzer. This leads to Gilda being lead into prank after prank after prank, 5 pranks to be exact. Now this eventually leads Gilda into losing control of her temper and attack Pinkie but one line intrigues me "Did you really think you could make me lose my cool?" This line alone proves that she was trying to control her true nature which is a gryphons hot temper. But there's something that doesn't make sense and that is the twist.

The twist is that Rainbow Dash is the one that set up the pranks for Gilda, well except the obvious buzzer prank which makes us all think Pinkie is behind all the pranks so Gilda assumption was astute but just in-correct. But that's not what bugs me, what bugs me is Rainbow Dash is supposed to be an old friend of Gilda and they used to hang out a lot. Now I think one of the main things Dash would learn from Gilda in the past is the fact that she is a gryphon and has a hot temper so is best not to aggravate it with pranks. Now Dash says they were all coincidental that Gilda set them all off.

Prank number - 1 - Pinkie and her buzzer

Prank number - 2 - coincidence and actually just fell for it herself.

Prank number - 3 - Dash eggs Gilda to drink the punch from the dribble glass.

Prank number - 4 - Dash eggs Gilda into opening her presents and activating the snake pranks

Prank number - 5 - Re-lighting candles that Dash placed and were obviously intended for Gilda cause who else blows out the cakes candles at a party than the guest of honour.

Now only 1 of those pranks was actually a coincidence and then Dash pranks her 3 times afterwards and screams coincidence. No Dash, you had a hoof in everyone of those pranks and it's your fault that they happened to Gilda, take some responsibility. Now as I said, if they were such good friends in the past the first thing that would or at least should be on the forefront of Dash's mind is the fact Gilda is a gryphon and as such, hot tempered. after being pranked 5 times in a row she naturally loses her cool.

But when Dash comes clean after Gilda's break-down, Gilda seems to calm down a bit after Dash's confession because it's obvious that Gilda suddenly knows she was in the wrong for blowing up at Pinkie like that, but does Dash she even apologize to Gilda? No she doesn't she (And I might add the so called element of loyalty) tells her to buzz off because she has new friends.

Okay, stop right there Dash, what you are doing is the complete opposite of loyalty and it disgusts me, if you were half the friend to her that you said you were a true friend would of known about a gryphons hot temper and asked Gilda to step outside for a moment to cool off, calm down and defuse the situation. Once Gilda was calm Dash should of apologized for goading her into all those pranks. But then ask Gilda to apologize to Pinkie.

Too me it always bothered me that Dash basically told an old friend to hit the road after that old friend lost her cool because she did just get pranked 5 times in the row and that would annoy anyone. So in my opinion the only thing Gilda did that could even be remotely considered bad is the theft of the apple. But that is just me.

I do not think Gilda is bad, just a character that is a little rough around the edges.

I'd like to hear you're thoughts on her character after my analysis. :) thanks for reading. 

Edited by Tilt
  • Brohoof 9

Gilda is the only character in the whole show that i can say that i hate her. Your analysis was great but to me Gilda is just one big meanie and bully the worst kind of bully.

I think like that because I strongly relate to Fluttershy and yelling is something that is really hard for me. I always crack up if people yell at me in any fashion. Gilda yelled at Fluttershy that was the meanest moment of the show clearly. Diamond Tiara is lovable angel compared to Gilda from my point of view.

If i see perseon in real life who is like Gilda and he is in my way i turn around and find another way around

• Brohoof 5

I think she IS bad. She is really disrespectful and she even steals! I almost punched my screen after watching that episode. Yes she's really that bad in my opinion. 

Edited by Assassin/Simon
  • Brohoof 2

A pretty good analysis, if I do say so myself. The only thing I won't agree with is how Dash buzzes Gilda off, but I suppose we can agree to disagree.

One thing that I remembered while reading is that in some parts of mythology, griffins never got along well with horses. If we ever see Gilda again, I would love to see more of her land and how her race would react towards ponies. It would explain quite a lot on why they're so angry and out-of-touch with things.

• Brohoof 2

A pretty good analysis, if I do say so myself. The only thing I won't agree with is how Dash buzzes Gilda off, but I suppose we can agree to disagree.

One thing that I remembered while reading is that in some parts of mythology, griffins never got along well with horses. If we ever see Gilda again, I would love to see more of her land and how her race would react towards ponies. It would explain quite a lot on why they're so angry and out-of-touch with things.

Gryphons often ate horses, you are correct on that statement. But when it comes to Dash what I don't understand is how they were initially friends to begin with especially when one temper tantrum is enough for Dash to tell her to get lost essentially. 

• Brohoof 2

Fantastic analysis, all i really think is she is immature and acting out to try and get attention, she is new to ponyville and all, im sure she wanted to make a name for her self. even if it was in a bad way

other then that i think like the episode obviously intends to show, Gilda is jelouse and possessive pony(gryphon?) she just seems to want rainbowdash to herself

• Brohoof 2

I never liked Gilda, and refuse to rewatch her episode. Very detailed analysis though! I don't believe that Gilda has any redeeming qualities.

• Brohoof 3

I never liked Gilda, and refuse to rewatch her episode. Very detailed analysis though! I don't believe that Gilda has any redeeming qualities.

It may not seem that, but if that were true, why would Dash be her friend to begin with?

• Brohoof 1

Well okay, I like your points and don't be offendid by this but I don't really think you're looking at this from both sides, you want to like her since she's a Griffon and I totally get that! I wanna defend Fluttershy all the time even if I can't because I think she's great and since you love Griffons you want to defend Gilda.

However, you can't really defend her actions with those points, I understand Pinkie can be full on and rather annoying to Gilda but if someone annoyed me I wouldn't try and make her helicopter (thing) crash into the ground with very dangerous possibilities, that point kind of explains itself in why...

Secondly, as for her not stealing because she may have a different currency or whatnot that's total bogus. Let's say I went to America and stole a wallet because in my country that's not illagal (for arguments sake) so I couldn't say in an American court that I "didn't know that's a law" because its my fault for not learning the basic rules and therefore should be punished. Because everywhere has different rules and that's just how everywhere works (P S on this point thanks to season 4 we see Griffons with the Equestria games so we know that there is griffons in Equestria, just adding that in)

And third with Fluttershy, that was... That was just TOO MUCH ANGER! I see qhT you mean that Fluttershy should have been more careful, I totally agree! But damn, that was WAY TOO MUCH! Also... NOPONY (or Griffon) CAN HURT FLUTTERSHY!!!!!

Now onto the loyalty part, RD was loyal to the friends who were the better choice. RD really just looked at Gilda and noticed how mean and crueal she was being and stayed loyal to her true friends who diserved that friendship. That was one of the most loyal thing I remember RD doing tbh.

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

It may not seem that, but if that were true, why would Dash be her friend to begin with?

People change, Gilda and Dash both love being "cool" so they probably used to have that in common but Gilda, as we saw, went too ott with being a cool cat
  • Brohoof 2

Well okay, I like your points and don't be offendid by this but I don't really think you're looking at this from both sides, you want to like her since she's a Griffon and I totally get that! I wanna defend Fluttershy all the time even if I can't because I think she's great and since you love Griffons you want to defend Gilda.

However, you can't really defend her actions with those points, I understand Pinkie can be full on and rather annoying to Gilda but if someone annoyed me I wouldn't try and make her helicopter (thing) crash into the ground with very dangerous possibilities, that point kind of explains itself in why...

Secondly, as for her not stealing because she may have a different currency or whatnot that's total bogus. Let's say I went to America and stole a wallet because in my country that's not illagal (for arguments sake) so I couldn't say in an American court that I "didn't know that's a law" because its my fault for not learning the basic rules and therefore should be punished. Because everywhere has different rules and that's just how everywhere works (P S on this point thanks to season 4 we see Griffons with the Equestria games so we know that there is griffons in Equestria, just adding that in)

And third with Fluttershy, that was... That was just TOO MUCH ANGER! I see qhT you mean that Fluttershy should have been more careful, I totally agree! But damn, that was WAY TOO MUCH! Also... NOPONY (or Griffon) CAN HURT FLUTTERSHY!!!!!

Now onto the loyalty part, RD was loyal to the friends who were the better choice. RD really just looked at Gilda and noticed how mean and crueal she was being and stayed loyal to her true friends who diserved that friendship. That was one of the most loyal thing I remember RD doing tbh.

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

People change, Gilda and Dash both love being "cool" so they probably used to have that in common but Gilda, as we saw, went too ott with being a cool cat

I never said gryphons were never in Equestria but in the episode Rarity states out flat that gryphons are a rare sight, also that was an olympic event meaning they could well enough been from a different country.

Now yea I agree with the ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law but stealing a wallet is a bit different than stealing an apple. Wallets have money, personal ID's and anything else important that a person would put on them. When she stole an apple she did indeed break the law, But really stealing an apple, a single one when the town isn't exactly starving for them isn't going to break anyones back. Aladdin stole bread because he had no money does that make him a bad guy? And Aladdin thieved regularly.

Now I'm not really defending Gilda I'm just pointing out that maybe she isn't as bad as she seems. It just seems a bit odd. Gilda obviously cares about Dash as shown in several scenes in the episode, even doing the junior speedster song for Pinkie showing that she wasn't really a hog of Rainbow Dash she just wanted some alone time.

• Brohoof 2

True, and I see where you're coming from with all of that, I've just never seen Gilda having redeeming features so I can't personally overlook the anger she exhibits in many scenes.

And I 100% agree with her caring for Dash, but again I think that illustrates RD loyalty, no matter what kind of person (or Griffon) messes with her friends she stays true to her real friends.

But very good points and I think your analysis is really insightful :) Good talking to you but I should be off to bed, bye :)

• Brohoof 2

Gilda's not evil. She's not out to destroy Equestria, or murder the good citizens of Ponyville, or anything like that.

She's just an unpleasant character, who I personally would want to have as little to do with as possible.

• Brohoof 3

@@Tilt,

There's always something I thought in relation to Gilda, and, that, in the episode "Griffon the Brush off" Rainbow Dash basically disses Gilda after they have a few problems between Gilda, and RD's new set of friends, and, almost as soon as things go downhill like this, RD basically tells Gilda to go away, even though they only started off on the wrong hoof, and not actually did anything THAT bad. (Screaming at Fluttershy included.) 

Either way, dissing an old friend at the slightest sign of trouble isn't friendship. It's something that's supposed to be worked out.

That's probably why I love the 'Maud Pie' episode. Because they actually try to solve the problem instead of just dissing her instantly like they did Gilda.

• Brohoof 5

I kinda agree that Gilda wasn't that bad. She was just pissed off because she couldn't be alone with her friend. Are they trying to say if someone gets pissed off that you should end your friendship forever?

This was my sentiment exactly, I actually had an idea for an episode where she would come back to apologize but Dash and the others wouldn't hear her out but the only one that does is Fluttershy, the element of kindness is willing to give her another shot and main aspect of the episode is learning to forgive others if they generally try to change. With Fluttershy's help maybe Gilda can learn to control that temper of hers. 

@@Tilt,

There's always something I thought in relation to Gilda, and, that, in the episode "Griffon the Brush off" Rainbow Dash basically disses Gilda after they have a few problems between Gilda, and RD's new set of friends, and, almost as soon as things go downhill like this, RD basically tells Gilda to go away, even though they only started off on the wrong hoof, and not actually did anything THAT bad. (Screaming at Fluttershy included.) 

Either way, dissing an old friend at the slightest sign of trouble isn't friendship. It's something that's supposed to be worked out.

That's probably why I love the 'Maud Pie' episode. Because they actually try to solve the problem instead of just dissing her instantly like they did Gilda.

Quoted for truth.

• Brohoof 1

The main problem with Gilda was that she considered everypony except Rainbow Dash "lame", and that's exactly what she revealed when she blew up after all the pranks. It wasn't just that she was angry about being pranked, she basically told everypony exactly how little she thought of them, and that's what RD reacted so strongly to.

Secondly, stealing even one apple is wrong. Stealing a whole bushel would be wrong as well, but the fact that it was one apple doesn't make it suddenly okay to be a thief. As for your example of Aladdin, there's a crucial difference there. Aladdin, as a penniless and friendless street urchin, would literally starve to death if he didn't steal, while Gilda has no right to make that claim. Does it make Aladdin's theft "right"? No, not at all, but it's understandable that he would because he is forced to by desperation. Again, that's not something Gilda is able to claim for herself. Besides, if she didn't have money, as you claim, she could easily have asked RD for a few bits to buy something to eat.

Thirdly, you keep assuming that griffons have a natural "hot temper", something that is never demonstrated in FiM. Gustav le Grand was pompous, but he never showed signs of being hot tempered. That's a trait of Gilda's, and claiming it a natural attribute of griffons seems more like a generalization and excuse of her behaviour than anything.

I may have missed some of your points, but I wanted to post this reply. Feel free to mention anything you want me to talk about, I'll do my best.

Just to be clear, though, I don't really demonize Gilda to any great degree, in fact I find Trixie more unlikeable in general, so keep that in mind, ne?

• Brohoof 6

The main problem with Gilda was that she considered everypony except Rainbow Dash "lame", and that's exactly what she revealed when she blew up after all the pranks. It wasn't just that she was angry about being pranked, she basically told everypony exactly how little she thought of them, and that's what RD reacted so strongly to.

Secondly, stealing even one apple is wrong. Stealing a whole bushel would be wrong as well, but the fact that it was one apple doesn't make it suddenly okay to be a thief. As for your example of Aladdin, there's a crucial difference there. Aladdin, as a penniless and friendless street urchin, would literally starve to death if he didn't steal, while Gilda has no right to make that claim. Does it make Aladdin's theft "right"? No, not at all, but it's understandable that he would because he is forced to by desperation. Again, that's not something Gilda is able to claim for herself. Besides, if she didn't have money, as you claim, she could easily have asked RD for a few bits to buy something to eat.

Thirdly, you keep assuming that griffons have a natural "hot temper", something that is never demonstrated in FiM. Gustav le Grand was pompous, but he never showed signs of being hot tempered. That's a trait of Gilda's, and claiming it a natural attribute of griffons seems more like a generalization and excuse of her behaviour than anything.

I may have missed some of your points, but I wanted to post this reply. Feel free to mention anything you want me to talk about, I'll do my best.

Just to be clear, though, I don't really demonize Gilda to any great degree, in fact I find Trixie more unlikeable in general, so keep that in mind, ne?

Well the stealing thing can go around in circles all day, but as for the hot tempered aspect of gryphons Gilda was the first and probably would of been the last if Lauren was kept on the supervising team, Gilda was a very accurate portrayal of a mythological gryphon. Plus I don't know why you people are getting so defensive and trying to protect yourself as if I'd jump down your throat for having another opinion. 

Gustav had control of his temper but still came off as a little negative because that's how gryphons were portrayed in writing. But this is less about the fact that she has a temper but the fact that Dash pretty much dumped her as a friend when she lost it once when it was really Dashes fault she lost it to begin with. Dash then doesn't apologize and tells Gilda to skidaddle because she has new friends.

• Brohoof 1

There's obviously more to the character that I feel some don't realize. Seeing as how there was something in Gilda that made her good friends in RD to begin with, not to mention that she's really possessive of RD which could mean she likes her a lot(though not enough to stop the inevitable)

I'd still love to see her come back, maybe in some sort of redemption episode, and see if she and RD will patch up, even if she doesn't become friends with the other 5

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 3

I think Gilda is similar to pit bulls (yes, I'm going there!) In my opinion Gryphon society is like some broken down city and after Gilda got back from Jr. Flight Camp she was slowly morphed from an adorable hatchling to a cruel, short tempered gryphon. None of the food producing gryphons there ever shared so she learned to steal, she was always being bumped and pushed so that's why she reacted so violently to Fluttershy and as for pinkie... Well it would be a little like trying to just chill and hang out with a friend and their younger sibling constantly trying to get you to play games. It has happened before and it is annoying enough to make you wanna tear your hair out! So yes, she was just raised poorly and could maybe be turned around.

Edited by Princess Oceangem
  • Brohoof 2

Well the stealing thing can go around in circles all day, but as for the hot tempered aspect of gryphons Gilda was the first and probably would of been the last if Lauren was kept on the supervising team, Gilda was a very accurate portrayal of a mythological gryphon. Plus I don't know why you people are getting so defensive and trying to protect yourself as if I'd jump down your throat for having another opinion. 

Gustav had control of his temper but still came off as a little negative because that's how gryphons were portrayed in writing. But this is less about the fact that she has a temper but the fact that Dash pretty much dumped her as a friend when she lost it once when it was really Dashes fault she lost it to begin with. Dash then doesn't apologize and tells Gilda to skidaddle because she has new friends.

I was offering a clarification, not being defensive. Defensive people generally don't invite others to continue the conversation. Anyhow, that's a tangent to the discussion.

As I understood Dash's statements, she was simply saying that as her old friend, Gilda shouldn't look down on her new friends, as her rant about them being lame revealed and if she wanted to keep that "too cool for you" attitude, she'd be better off elsewhere. Her losing her temper was not the issue, it was the way she showed in how low regard she held the ponies (sans Dash).

• Brohoof 5

Gilda isn't as bad as many make her out to be. Certainly a character that could come around.

In the end though, she did choose her pride over their friendship. Dash was hurt by her outburst (Queen Lame-o), but expressed herself well and gave Gilda a choice. 

"This is not how I thought my old friends would treat my new friends. If being cool is all you care about, maybe you should find some new, cool friends some place else".

Now, Dash isn't privy to every thought in Gilda's head. All she sees is her old friend ranting at everyone.

At this point, Gilda could apologize and explain, but defensively calls Dash a flip-flop and leaves. Her ego makes things worse than they actually are. From her perspective, which is what we see, harmless pranks are intensified.

Side note(s):

Being inherently hot-tempered isn't something you can rightfully assign all Gryphons. For all intents and purposes, any functional sentient is held accountable for their own behavior.

Do Gryphons even eat apples in common mythology?

Edited by Starlight Sky