Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which Is Most Common In Your City?

Snow Frostflame

44 users have voted

1. 1. Which Is Most Common In Your City

• Police Department
    • Sheriff's Department
    • Military (Explain Which Branch)

all cities have at least one of these protecting the citizens.... but one is usually more common then the others....so of these three which one is most common to see in your city?

as for me its the Sheriff's Department.... we have a Police Department in my city but with so many Deputy Sheriff around your most likely going to find several Deputy Sheriff before you find a Police Officer.... On my way to school I usually see at least 5 Deputy Sheriff and almost never see a Police Officer.....

• Brohoof 1

Though they are called "Police Officers," They are technically a branch of the Military. They used to be called the Militsiya (Militia), but they changed their name to Politsiya (Police) to make them sound less Militant even though they are still a branch of the MVD. 

The 5-0 are everywhere in New York, with good reason. There's also a small military presence in major landmarks such as the World Trade Center (for obvious reasons  :wau: ).

Police, I guess. Or the Gardaí as they're called. Not much in the way of Sheriffs here to my knowledge, though you do occasionally see military vehicles driving about.

In my city we only have the police, or if we have anything else I'm unaware of it. In my area we don't have much crime (we have a strange number of small car crashes here for some peculiar reason?!) so the police barely exist around where I live haha

I live in Sydney.

Police departments. We don't have any "sheriff departments" (whatever those are..). Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a police DP and a sheriff DP?

But we do have a number of military bases.

Army

- Randwick Barracks

- Victoria Barracks

Navy

- HMAS Kuttabul

- HMAS Penguin

- HMAS Waterhen

- HMAS Watson

There's an air force base further inland in the Western Sydney area.

We have a sheriff where I am.

NYPD isn't far away, but I live closer to Lockports Police Department.

I live in Sydney.

Police departments. We don't have any "sheriff departments" (whatever those are..). Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a police DP and a sheriff DP?

But we do have a number of military bases.

Army

- Randwick Barracks

- Victoria Barracks

Navy

- HMAS Kuttabul

- HMAS Penguin

- HMAS Waterhen

- HMAS Watson

There's an air force base further inland in the Western Sydney area.

Police officers have a limited local jurisdiction, usually within the boundaries of a city or town. Within their jurisdiction, police work for public safety, citing and arresting people where appropriate. The police also perform a variety of public services including safety education and security within city limits. In a large city, the police department may have an assortment of specialized personnel in departments like the bomb squad or riot police.

A sheriff, on the other hand, enforces law in a county or state. In the United States, the sheriff is an elected official, and he or she swears in an assort of deputies who have similar powers. Sheriffs patrol outside the boundaries of towns and cities. In a town without a police department, the civic leaders may request that a sheriff patrol and act as a policeman within city limits.

Edited by Marshmallow Pone
  • Brohoof 1

Well being British I only had one option. We only have police. We'll be damned if we'd let the military patrol our city streets and we don't have anything like sheriffs. I'm not even sure what the difference is in America between police and sheriffs. I assumed in the South they were just delusional and thought it was still the 1870's.