Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Homework Help Thread

Why-Gnome-Ear-Fifty

• 1 month later...

If you ever need help with homeworks or such, I think it's a great idea to have a place on the forums where you can ask for advice or help.

So, here it is smile.png

First off, no. I am not very good at physics.

And also, sorry for using commas instead of points/dots/periods. We do that in Sweden.

Anyways, I've gotten a homework with a bunch of different things to do, but I am stuck on one of them.

It's actually a pretty simple question but I have forgotten how to do this.

How many people can stand on an ice floe before it sinks?

Now I have chosen a round one with 11,3 m³.

(?*(6/2)²)*0,4=11,3 m³

The density of the water = 1,03

Let's say each person = 70 kg

Ice kg = Water * 0,92 kg

I know FL = pVg

Which would mean FL = 11,3 * V * 9,82

And I've heard somewhere that the volume of the displaced water equals the weight of the object putten into it. But should the volume be in L or m3? If it is L, that would be

V = (11,3 * 10-3) * 0,92

But I am confused how to continue.. Help img-1409713-1-sad.png

edit: ok so I've thought for a while.. Could this be the solution?

(?*(6/2)²)*0,4=11,3 m³

FL = 1030 kg/m³ * 11,3 * 9,82 = 114 295 N

11 300 * 1,03 = 11 639 kg

11 639 * 0,92 = 10 707,88 kg

FG = 10 707,88 * 9,82 = 105 151,3816 N

114 295 - 105 151,3816 = 9 143,6184 N

9 143,6184 / 9,82 = 931,12 kg

931,12 / 70 = 13,3

Answer: 13 people.

Edited by Jokuc

• 4 months later...

I need 5 sources that I might use for a paper on exploration & Colonization in NM from 1509-1700 and the one of the city's my teacher wants 2 sources on is Socorro because she grew up there. We don't have textbooks yet so I've eliminated  book sources for me.

@Talemage, @Champion RD92, @Jokuc, and , turns out that we had an old and defunct homework help thread, and since that's what you all were offering or looking for, your threads have been merged with that one. Just letting you know. This will now serve as a central topic for members to ask for and hopefully get help with any tricky problems or assignments.

Hello, I actually have a question that isn't math. I don't get homework for that subject. (thank god) 

I just have english homework

English homework:

I've done everything else but I need 4 more types of poems.

Shape poem

Haiku

Epitaph

Riddle

And if you guys could recommend any poems that are:

shape poem

Haiku'

Man of the future

Cinquin

Diamante

limerick

I think thats everything I need, I just need a few to be recommended but I do need some help for the poems that I need to write.

But my teacher doesn't know about the internet so we're good.

Hello, I actually have a question that isn't math. I don't get homework for that subject. (thank god) 

I just have english homework

English homework:

I've done everything else but I need 4 more types of poems.

Shape poem

Haiku

Epitaph

Riddle

And if you guys could recommend any poems that are:

shape poem

Haiku'

Man of the future

Cinquin

Diamante

limerick

I think thats everything I need, I just need a few to be recommended but I do need some help for the poems that I need to write.

But my teacher doesn't know about the internet so we're good.

I don't precisely understand what it is you're looking for but a shape poem is something that when written down, creates the shape of something that is being described in a poem.  Like for example, if the poem was about a cookie, the poem would form the shape of a circle to represent a cookie.

rshand2.jpg

A haiku is a poem that consists of three lines, 5 syllables on the first line, seven the second and five on the third to form a total of seventeen syllables.  

Furry fox springs forth,

Rises after winter time,

Frolics in the fields.

Atleast, I hope that's a good example of that one  :huh: ...

An epitaph is a short amount of text that honours a dead person.  It's something that one might see on a tombstone or some other sort of grave marker.  Sometimes a grave would use this like a quote, something that the dead uses to warn the living.  It can be pretty funny at times :)

"That's all folks." - Mel Blanc

A riddle is something that is either a Statement, question or phrase that has a veiled meaning.  There can be two types of riddles; Enigma riddles and Conundra riddles.  A riddle can be a form of poetry but a lot of times, it might not be.

I can walk but not run.  Wherever I go, thoughts follow close behind.  What am I?

Answer: A nose...

Man of the future:

http://www.gotpoetry.com/Poems/l_op=Showpoet/Poems/l_op=viewpoems/lid=86333.html

When writing a Cinquain, it is a poem that is only five lines long.  The first line only 2 syllables, the second has four, the third has six, fourth has eight and the poem cuts off at 2 syllables.  An easy way to remember it is by memorizing 24682, it shows how many lines there are and also how many syllables for each line.

Loud noise,

floats through the trees.

Such loud racket!  No one stops it?

Oh well...

I don't think I'm all that good at making my own poems haha...  

A Diamante:

http://www.poetry4kids.com/blog/lessons/how-to-write-a-diamante-poem/

Limericks are just funny short poems.  They tend not to make sense most of the time.  A stanza of five lines, the first, second and fifth lines typically rhyme with each other.  The third and forth lines rhyming with each other.  You might be familiar with hearing them already.  There once was a girl from venus...

A Limerick by Edward Lear:

There was a Young Person of Smyrna Whose grandmother threatened to burn her. But she seized on the cat, and said 'Granny, burn that! You incongruous old woman of Smyrna!'

I hope that helps you out a bit if you haven't been helped already.

Edited by Anishna
  • Brohoof 1

Can some of you answer this Physical Science question for me?

How is 0.00025 written in scientific notation?

• A.    25 x 10-5
  • B.    2.5 x 104
  • C.    0.25 x 10-3
  • D.    2.5 x 10-4

Yes, I'm a moron....I'm just awful at scientific notations.

Can some of you answer this Physical Science question for me?

How is 0.00025 written in scientific notation?

• A.    25 x 10-5
  • B.    2.5 x 104
  • C.    0.25 x 10-3
  • D.    2.5 x 10-4

Yes, I'm a moron....I'm just awful at scientific notations.

We've all got our weaknesses lol. Should be choice D. Choice B would give you a fairly large number so you can automatically eliminate that choice. Choice C and A aren't even in scientific notation (I think you can only have one digit to the left of the decimal when using SN).

Otherwise, just count how many places you must move the decimal to get to the right amount:

2.5 = 2.5x100

.25 (10-1)

.025 (10-2)

.0025 (10-3)

.00025 = 2.5x10-4

• Brohoof 1

I can help with mathematics homework up to the level of AP Calculus AB and AP Statistics. AP Calculus AB is equivalent to Calculus I in college. AP Statistics is equivalent to an introductory statistics course in college. I can help with English homework, I might be able to help with some history homework, and some science homework. However, I can help the most with mathematics homework. If anyone needs help, feel free to quote this post and/or mention me so that I will see your post, and I will help you out as soon as I can.

Can anyone here help with college trigonometry?

That's really the only subject I think I'm gonna need help on this semester. :P

I can help you with college trigonometry. What concepts are you having trouble with?
Edited by SCS

Has anyone read The Color Purple by Alice Walker at all? I need to do an essay on a rarely seen character in the book and describe  how they influenced the main character and how the story would be affected without them.

Edited by PonyRocker95

Although I am good at math, I also need little help. I'm doing Geometry and an Algebra question comes up. It says "If AD=12 and AC=4y-36, find the value of y. Then find AC and DC." I had set it up like this: 4y-36=12 and ended up getting 12. When I end up plugging in 12 for y, the answer ends up being 12. AD is part of AC so how can the long line be the same length as the smaller line. I looked at the back of the text book and the answer for it says 15. Is it a possibility that I am imputing the equation wrong?

Although I am good at math, I also need little help. I'm doing Geometry and an Algebra question comes up. It says "If AD=12 and AC=4y-36, find the value of y. Then find AC and DC." I had set it up like this: 4y-36=12 and ended up getting 12. When I end up plugging in 12 for y, the answer ends up being 12. AD is part of AC so how can the long line be the same length as the smaller line. I looked at the back of the text book and the answer for it says 15. Is it a possibility that I am imputing the equation wrong?

Triangles correct? 

Oh geometry. Well that question kinda confuses me a bit. You would normally solves this by using some sort of postulate or theorem or something that states how the two lengths are related. Have you recently learned anything on postulates or theorems or things like that? Have you learned about right triangles and how there angles and lengths compare and stuff? Cuz i wouldn't would think you can equal them like that, they both aren't the same length.

Also I doubt you can show me the picture of said triangle. It's usually easier with a picture. Can you at least describe the triangle? Is it a right triangle? Angles perhaps? Any dashes on the sides?

Edited by AnonBrony

Triangles correct? 

Oh geometry. Well that question kinda confuses me a bit. You would normally solves this by using some sort of postulate or theorem or something that states how the two lengths are related. Have you recently learned anything on postulates or theorems or things like that? Have you learned about right triangles and how there angles and lengths compare and stuff? Cuz i wouldn't would think you can equal them like that, they both aren't the same length.

Also I doubt you can show me the picture of said triangle. It's usually easier with a picture. Can you at least describe the triangle? Is it a right triangle? Angles perhaps? Any dashes on the sides?

Yeah there not triangles, they are actually just line segments. This is the diagram that goes with the question. AD is congruent with DC which is another reason why AC can't be 12 when AD is.

post-18640-0-84766400-1378945499_thumb.jpg

Yeah there not triangles, they are actually just line segments. This is the diagram that goes with the question. AD is congruent with DC which is another reason why AC can't be 12 when AD is.

Heheh Oh. Silly filly why didn't you just say AC was the whole segment or rather AD was half of AC. (The dashes mean AD and DC are equal length.) In that case you do this. AD is half correct? that mean AC is 24 since AD is 12 since half of 24 is 12. So its 4y-36=24 not 4y-36=12. I'll leave the rest to you.

Edited by AnonBrony

Heheh Oh. Silly filly why didn't you just say AC was the whole segment or rather AD was half of AC. (The dashes mean AD and DC are equal length.) In that case you do this. AD is half correct? that mean AC is 24 since AD is 12 since half of 24 is 12. So its 4y-36=24 not 4y-36=12. I'll leave the rest to you.

Ok thanks alot. I really don't know how I didn't notice that, but it really made me feel dumb. It actually wouldn't had been hard if I saw that.

Can someone please give me an example of a flashback or flash-forward type story? I need to write a short piece that contains one of those devices. 

The book "The Things They Carried" is a good book for that. It follows a platoon of soldiers in Vietnam. It goes to post war, when one of the soldiers goes back to Nam to visit the place where one of his best friends had died, or one of them commits suicide because they have nothing else to live for, and to the past, where one of them gets a draft notice and was going to flee the country.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I have a class, required by my school but taken for an elective credit, that quite frankly reminds me of that Career Day episode of Invader Zim:

This week the topic is financial careers. One of the assignments, where I struggled, was on economic terminology, which I finally solved via the process of elimination.

The other assignment dealt with credit card interest, and it recommended an online calculator. I googled around a bit and found quite a few calculators, with problems: half of them didn't give me the information I needed, a couple asked for terms between which I didn't know the difference, and the rest couldn't agree on the correct answer. I don't know exactly what I'm doing either, though it seems like it should be so simple.

So here's the actual questions:

Given situation: You run up a $1000 balance on your credit card. The interest rate is 12%, with a minimum required payment of $15. You intend to pay off the debt before you buy anything else with the card.

1. If you make payments of $30 a month, how long will it take to pay off the debt? How much interest will you pay?

2. The interest rate is raised to 15%. If you pay $30 a month, how long will it take to pay off the debt at this rate? How much interest will you pay?

3. How much does an increase in interest affect your monthly payment?

4. You decide to make the minimum required payment of $15 a month. At 12% interest, how long will it take to pay off the debt? How much interest will you pay?

What exactly do I do here? It seems logical and easy until I actually think about it. This is due next Monday.

Edited by SCS
Editing this post to make it fit smoothly into a topic it was merged into.

Hey, @Kelario. There was already a Homework Help Thread, so I merged yours into it. I edited your post to make it fit more smoothly in this thread, as well.

You should run a search of the forums before posting a new topic to make sure it doesn't already exist. Thanks.

Hey, @Kelario. There was already a Homework Help Thread, so I merged yours into it. I edited your post to make it fit more smoothly in this thread, as well.

You should run a search of the forums before posting a new topic to make sure it doesn't already exist. Thanks.

Thanks. I knew it existed but the search didn't find it.

• Brohoof 1