Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did You Ever Watch Generation 1, 2, 3, or 3.5?

best poni

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a bunch of G-1 episodes on youtube years ago---they've been taken down since :/  I thought it was a pretty decent adventure series with some good worldbuilding---it wasn't quite up to G-4's standards, but I thought it was pretty good. 

I actually thought about writing a G-5 fanfic that brought back a bunch of fictional species that G-1 introduced that were never continued in G-4:  lava demons (who weren't necessarily evil, mind), ice orcs, salamanders, undines, kraken, lizard-folk...

• Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I did watch all the episodes of G1, G2 and G3 with my fiancee couple years ago. Somehow we managed to stay enough entertainent to do it. However G3.5 doesn't interest me at all. I think it's just historically interesting but wouldn't go watching them again haha

• Brohoof 1

I watched some of gen 1 and 3 more recently if that counts lol. I briefly saw gen3 when i was younger too but the show felt a little em too ya know typical girly kinda infantile vibes. Not saying its bad but it didnt appeal much and didnt have that sense of personality. But i think i enjoy it more now ironically lol. 

Well gen 2 didnt have a cartoon unless u mean pony tales or whatever its called lol. I loved then gen2 toys tho that was part of my childhood lol

I've only seen bits of G1(Escape from Midnight Castle and an episode or 2 of My Little Pony and Friends), but I liked what I saw. The 86 Movie from what I've seen however wasn't very good(Stopped halfway through)

Haven't seen G3 but I get the feeling it's not as bad as bronies will make it out to be

Newborn Cuties though is still very much shit

• Brohoof 2

I used to watched G1 years ago when I got into FiM and so as MLP Tales. I thought it was okay for the time, but I quickly stopped watched it after that because I was bored with it. I've seen bits and pieces of the G1 movie, but I have no interested in watching it. For what I've heard, it's pretty bad. The best part about G1, in my opinion, was Escape from Midnight Castle.

As for G3? I remember trying avoid G3 as humanly possible because of how many bronies talking shit about it and I refuse to give it a chance it looks too girly compared to FiM. The only time I did watched something G3 related was watching Bronies React video on Newborn Cuties many years ago. It wasn't until this year that I started watching G3 all thanks to Applegeek reacting to Minty's Christmas Special. I gotta say, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Don't get me wrong, Newborn Cuties can rot in the burning pits of Tartarus, but besides that, it look pretty harmless. Sure, it was cringy AF, but at least it was charming despite it's shallow moments. Plus, it can be cute at times. Without this, we wouldn't have Friendship is Magic.

Also, this might a bit of a hot take here, but I would rather watch G3 over Season 6-9 of FiM. DON'T @ ME!

• Brohoof 3

I've seen them all. G1 was pretty decent. G1.5 was okay. G3 was bad for the most part but not as bad as some bronies make it out to be. Newborn Cuties was the absolute worst.

• 8 months later...

I did watch A Very Minty Christmas, and I’m currently watching G1 MLP. Everything G1 is on Roku  TV, except the movie

On 2018-08-13 at 7:38 PM, Khoufu said:

Especially Gusty because she sounds just like Bart Simpson.

I think she’s voiced by Bart Simpson tho :huh:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

I watched some episodes of G1 and G2.

I listened to some songs of G3 a d G3.5.

I liked how the G1 episode "Magic Paint" used the "solid as a rock-slide" pun and the "don't look into a gift horse's mouth" idiom.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-07-25 at 8:37 PM, Fluttershutter said:

I've seen some of G1. It's pretty good.

My understanding is there isn't really any G2 except for a couple of video games.

My understanding of G2 is pretty much the same, except that I *think* there were some G2 comics and storybooks in Europe as well. Since pretty much all of G2 happened in Europe and South America for some reason, I haven't seen a lot of it in person.

Europe's relationship with MLP in general was different in older generations I've been told. They had a lot more print media MLP than we did, and supposedly G1 Applejack was *very* popular in Europe, being the central character for most of that print media.

• Brohoof 1

I love the g1 My Little Pony, my mom had a few tapes on VHS, and I had a few toys!

I mostly grew up with 3 and 3.5 though! I had the pink castle that got bigger with a wand, I had most of the movies on DVD except for A Very Minty Christmas, and I had the seapony castle! MLP sure had some amazing playsets! :catface:

Minty and Starsong were my favorites! 

one of the castles I had! (Not my pic) vvv3210808a85bcc3d67485ae3d74a963bc56d7cb71_hq.jpg.757eebf6ae1f3b8d921ba14c00f6c567.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Finished watching ALL of G1 ponies. Everything is on Roku TV for free (except the movie, but I saw it in low quality on YouTube). I think it was decent. Wind Whistler is best G1 poneh :fluttershy:

I think I’ve watched an episode or two of MLP Tales afterwards, but didn’t continue. I think it was due to being burnout for doing nothing but watch old gen ponies for weeks :huh:

• Brohoof 2

Watched G1 + MLP Tales and a read a few of the insane G1 comics :P Enjoyed all of it a lot more than I was expecting. Wind Whistler is great, and Megan is surprisingly good. Read a few G2 comics (Light Heart riding beds) which were almost as crazy as the G1 ones. Watched a bit of G3 which has its cute moments - love Star Catcher and Thistle Whistle. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-07-28 at 2:50 PM, Fhaolan said:

My understanding of G2 is pretty much the same, except that I *think* there were some G2 comics and storybooks in Europe as well. Since pretty much all of G2 happened in Europe and South America for some reason, I haven't seen a lot of it in person.

Europe's relationship with MLP in general was different in older generations I've been told. They had a lot more print media MLP than we did, and supposedly G1 Applejack was *very* popular in Europe, being the central character for most of that print media.

There's a few comics too - http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/ has a load of resources for them.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

1 & 2 are great, as people can probably see my posts about the classic gens accumulating around the forum, I'm really perplexed by generation 3 however and it's fanbase, I watched "Princess Promenade" and it was absolutely dreadfully boring, and I explained this the other day, but somehow it retains a 7.5 on IMDB literally only .2 below FiM as a series in rating... So today I watched "A Very Minty Christmas" and that shit slapped, idk if it's just how absolutely silly Minty is, coupled with my Christmas obsession and the music to highlight the themes, but it had more personality even integrating the personal strengths and weaknesses of characters like Thistle Whistle and even Pinkie, the setting is obviously Christmas themed which I greatly enjoy, there are some goofy bits to this like how quickly they can take a hot air balloon to the North Pole, but honestly it actually had a plot structured around a characters defectives and how they could potentially effect everypony else, it had room for a story, not just, "guess what you're a princess lolz what you gonna do now?" Yet, this movie is rated 4.9? I'm just confused by the g.3 crowd or at least whoever is reviewing MLP content...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...