Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Horrifying movie scenes as a child?

TigerGeekGuy

I remember finding any scene with Beast in Beauty and the Beast to be terrifying. I can still remember my mom having it on in her room and me running out screaming. Lol.

I have seen some horror scenes in horror movies as a child, but I will not mention those :P

I will mention something less horrifying :). Such as when I saw a dog getting taken by a giant spider, it got me to be afraid of spiders, even though I loved collecting spiders in a jar D:. 

• Brohoof 1

So, any scene in particular that scared you as a child?

As I recall, the scene from the original Alice and Wonder Land film on tape where she was falling endlessly always terrified me to no end. Watching it now, I can't help but be amused.

It's always scary scenes from non-horror movies that are the most frightening.

I once walked into the living room while one of the Kill Bill movies was playing on TV. I got there just in time to see someone get their eyeball ripped out. Not really scary as much as just plain disturbing, but that shit stuck with me for a while. There were plenty of scenes in movies that scared me, but no others that stayed with me like that.

Also, I remember the Graveyard Shift episode of Spongebob scaring the hell out of me.

Oh many of the episodes of Rugrats and Hey Arnold scared me as a kid especially the Rugrats episode where Tommy thought Chuckie was an alien, the halloween episode, and the episode of Hey Arnold featuring Stoop Kid and the Wheezin' Ed episode.

I remember watching The Hills Have Eyes with my parents when I was younger and being too scared to sleep (so any gory scene in that movie for me). Even remembering waking my parents up and mother being like "there's no deserts around here go to bed," but having common sense was too much for me apparently

Oh God You weren't one of those kids who went to that accidental screening did you? They were supposed to watch the Last Mimzy but they ended up watching The Hills Have Eyes 2 for a little while.

Edited by ScarfaceOne

Seconding Hexxus from Fern Gully.  I would watch the entire movie, but hide behind the couch every time he came out, especially once he had a skull head.

My mom liked watching murder mysteries, and I was usually fine if the body was intact, but as soon as you could see skeleton and/or skull parts I was phobic.  That made watching some Star Trek TNG and Stargate episodes difficult for me later on, even though I love those series, because they occasionally (or often, in SGA) find skeletons lying around places.

I can't handle real horror movies at all, even now as a full-grown adult.  I saw The Ring (Japanese version) in college and had nightmares for months.  I couldn't be in a room with a tv.  This was pretty embarrassing at the age of 20.

Seconding Hexxus from Fern Gully.  I would watch the entire movie, but hide behind the couch every time he came out, especially once he had a skull head.

My mom liked watching murder mysteries, and I was usually fine if the body was intact, but as soon as you could see skeleton and/or skull parts I was phobic.  That made watching some Star Trek TNG and Stargate episodes difficult for me later on, even though I love those series, because they occasionally (or often, in SGA) find skeletons lying around places.

I can't handle real horror movies at all, even now as a full-grown adult.  I saw The Ring (Japanese version) in college and had nightmares for months.  I couldn't be in a room with a tv.  This was pretty embarrassing at the age of 20.

Like I said, the only thing I really have nightmares of are Freddy Fazbear, Giygas and Creepypasta. That being said, I used to have a massive fear of a bee pinning me, it pinned me in my nightmares. And the fact that I had a V shaped baby mobile holder that used to hold a butterfly mobile didn't help. This was when I was 4 by the way. Same time I watched Pink Elephants on Parade.

And I played Tomb Raider quite a lot in my youth, the Spider Boss, combined with the mutants from Tomb Raider 3, gave me nightmares. And when I was 9 or 10, I played a demo of Silent Hill 4. And I was scared. The stuff that scares me are Plain, Ghostly faces like the ones in Polybius, and Giygas, and anything that goes too below the Uncanny Valley. And I watched Terminator 2 when I was a child. That really scared me.

I think it was more the unintentionally disturbing scenes of TV shows that I watched as a child. There was that Teletubbies segment involving the lion and the bear, which is creepy because they are flat pieces of wood with googly eyes, with disturbing voices. Parents got so upset about it. And I was a bit freaked out by it.

Then you had the Pingu episode involving the Walrus, yes, legitimately disturbing stuff. Pingu has a nightmare about a walrus chasing him and his bed starts moving. And his house flys away.

As for films. The Pink Elephants on parade scene from Dumbo disturbed me a bit. And I used to play Alien Trilogy as a kid, and had nightmares about aliens. It wasn't until I was about the age I am now though that I discovered more horrifying stuff such as Giygas, Freddy Fazbear, Spooky's House of Jumpscares, Polybius and everything. Consider me having lost my childhood innocence.

I'm with you on the Teletubbies one. Who'd ever thought a piece of cut out cardboard with googly eyes on wheels can actually be intimidating?

Speaking of Pingu, I remember watching that Pingu Runs Away episode. The second part of the episode gave me nightmares because of those icy hallucinations. Ooh, the dark times of my childhood...Now I understand why Rainbow Dash is afraid of kid-friendly stuff.

They look something like this:

post-20535-0-70423000-1440864410.jpg

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

As a Criminal Minds fan I came across the Mosley Road episode where the old couple kidnaps children and burns them while they are unconcious along with the episode about the girl who's friend got strangled by the 20 something and then got his head shot off. I then had a nightmare he was my babysitter :blush:

As a young child, my cousins would babysit my brother and I. The two of us were forced to watch a lot of horror/gore films (I subsequently do not like horror). If you can think of any horror series that existed in the 2003-2005 era, it's probably on that list.

There were so many that I genuinely can't distinguish them.

I'm with you on the Teletubbies one. Who'd ever thought a piece of cut out cardboard with googly eyes on can actually be intimidating?

Speaking of Pingu, I remember watching that Pingu Runs Away episode. The second part of the episode gave me nightmares because of these icy hallucinations. Ooh, the dark times of my childhood...Now I understand why Rainbow Dash is afraid of kid-friendly stuff.

They look something like this:

Er just to let you know, those weren't hallucinations. They were real ice sculptures.

here's the others. http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/pingu/images/d/d6/Pingu_and_Monsters.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110917060219

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/pingu/images/8/8a/Screen_shot_2014-08-09_at_7.59.09_PM.png/revision/latest?cb=20140810003401

It is really scary though I must admit. They kinda look like Eddie from Iron Maiden. The only thing that I think was a hallucination was the jaw moving. Scarier though was his dad's anger and his mother smacking him earlier in the episode.

• Brohoof 2

Er just to let you know, those weren't hallucinations. They were real ice sculptures.

here's the others. http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/pingu/images/d/d6/Pingu_and_Monsters.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110917060219

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/pingu/images/8/8a/Screen_shot_2014-08-09_at_7.59.09_PM.png/revision/latest?cb=20140810003401

It is really scary though I must admit. They kinda look like Eddie from Iron Maiden. The only thing that I think was a hallucination was the jaw moving. Scarier though was his dad's anger and his mother smacking him earlier in the episode.

Thanks for the correction but I must agree, I felt like l do not want to dream because of that. In fact, that would be good for a little story but I definitely don't want to go back there again.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

Has anyone ever watched the Mr. Bean movie? no?

The scene where the old lady's face turns into a demon-ish kind of expression... Damn, when i was a kid that scared the living crap out of me :blush:

• Brohoof 1

I remember reading a children's book about a crocodile and a snake who would come out of the toilet when you stands up and flashes the water or how you say it in English xD so I always used to be so scared that I would run after into another room !