Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has MLP Influenced You Diet Eating Less Meat Or Becoming Vegetarian?

GXPBlast

Has MLP influenced your diet at all for personal or moral reasons? I say this because since many of us bronies like to emulate the positives in the show it has taught us and being more like the ponies.

For me I am already vegetarian and eventually want to go vegan, and I have improved my diet for personal reasons and moral reasons.

If you look at mlp characters, they are not vegan so getting eggs and milk is not as immoral as eating the animals themselves.

Even so I have reduced my dairy intake and substitute milk for almond milk and get frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.

I started this before watching mlp, but it has thus increased more after watching the show.

Another reason some people change their diet besides for moral and health reasons is to emulate their role models or people they admire.

For example, Tara Strong is a vegetarian and this may motivate someone to do the same.

On a unrealistic note, if the ponies became real and met you, would it be nice to know that if out can go to Equestria and had to remain human that it would be easy to adapt to their diet and become more accustomed. Plus the inhabitants would not be afraid of you for being a meat eater or becoming more respected by them. Although silly to think about, this may influence a bronies diet as well lol.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 4

I am a vegetarian and I do enjoy the fact that all the ponies are herbivores.  :D

Usually people who eat meat will defend this choice with one of the "Four Ns."

Natural - "This is just the way it is.  It's not good or bad, but people are meat eating beings."

Of course, the way we factory farm 99% of our meat and the suffering that takes place before it can get to our plates is anything but natural.  The unnatural system of concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) we created causes much harm to our bodies, to animals, and to the environment.

Normal - "I was raised this way.  It's just part of my culture."

This really is no defense at all when talking about how things should be.  We know how things are, but when asking ethical questions we what to know what the moral justifications are for doing what it is that we do.

Necessary - "Without meat I can't get all my necessary nutrition." 

This is simply not true at all.  It is quite easy for any person living in the first world (anyone reading this message) to get all necessary nutrition without meat.  Just by avoiding fast food by default you may actually improve your health quite a bit.

Nice - "I like eating meat and that's what matters to me."

Sure, that's something you can say, but causing suffering in order to gain wholly unnecessary pleasures cannot be defended as a moral choice.

All that said, any progress is good.  I would recommend you to first try just cutting out red meat and processed meats since those are quite unhealthy and are both linked to cancer.  It's always easiest to start out with a choice that is good for you and for the world.  :P

• Brohoof 10

(edited)

I am a vegetarian and I do enjoy the fact that all the ponies are herbivores.  :D

Natural - "This is just the way it is.  It's not good or bad, but people are meat eating beings."

Of course, the way we factory farm 99% of our meat and the suffering that takes place before it can get to our plates is anything but natural.  The unnatural system of concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) we created causes much harm to our bodies, to animals, and to the environment.

This really is no defense at all when talking about how things should be.  We know how things are, but when asking ethical questions we what to know what the moral justifications are for doing what it is that we do.

This is simply not true at all.  It is quite easy for any person living in the first world (anyone reading this message) to get all necessary nutrition without meat.  Just by avoiding fast food by default you may actually improve your health quite a bit.

Sure, that's something you can say, but causing suffering in order to gain wholly unnecessary pleasures cannot be defended as a moral choice.

All that said, any progress is good.  I would recommend you to first try just cutting out red meat and processed meats since those are quite unhealthy and are both linked to cancer.  It's always easiest to start out with a choice that is good for you and for the world.  :P

I rarely ever eat read meat. I probably want any form of meat max twice a week and that is usually organic chicken. Last time I must of had any form of red meat was like two months ago lol and that was a steak I went to for my cousins birthday. Either way, I fell less bloated and have more energy since reducing my meat intake.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

Hello GXP. I think its about your psychology.In MLP eating meat maybe contradictory to the format but it doesnt affect me so much.I eat meat if i need to..Baby cows and piglets are so cute of course but its the nature..We are on the top of the pyramid my friend =) '''

Heh nope, I wouldn't deprive myself of more options to fill the nutrients I need. But it did make me want to try out cider and eat cake when I prefer pies. 

I do have some aspirations to try going vegan for a day or so but more for the giggles and experience rather than anything ethical based.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

I mean I think it's good to control your diet.

A lot of the things vegans say about how their health and life gets better when they go vegan is more of a matter that they now control their diet, I mean if you eat meat excessively and suddenly switch to being vegan you will feel a big turn in your self of course. I mean you can take a heavy cola drinker keep him off the black water for a couple of weeks and boom they feel like a new man as well, it's all a matter of perspective you know. Anyone that decides to measure out how much macro and micro nutrients they intake with consideration of calories and whatnot like bodybuilders do will see a difference in their well being overall because they finally feel they can control a part of them. Psychologically that will change a person.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 3

I could possibly give up steak, pork, beef, turkey, etc. But I could never become Vegan or give up Seafood. So I'd be a Pescetarian. I love cheese, I love milk, I love things that are made with these things- way too much. But it wasnt even on purpose - that i was eating nothing but vegetables and fruits and noodles and fish for several days. I didnt have any 'meat' (some people think seafood is meat, but still, I just call it seafood in this case just not to get it mixed up. I dont care what people think, I wont judge, but i dont want to get things all confused.) 

I love cheese way too much. In the morning if i know my parents and I are going out to eat later but I'm not all that hungry, I eat a mozzeral/cheddar cheese stick instead of like, bacon or something. I dont cook that much. I ate a bowl of instant ramen with Creamy Chicken flavoring (again, I dont want to be 100% Pescetarian but I could sort of give it up). I added black pepper to it, sometimes I cook a boiled egg, but last night i was too tired and didnt want to go through that. One morning I had feta cheese, brown rice, boiled egg and hot sauce for breakfast. 

It tasted good. So really, its just all about being healthy and eating what I like. Today, I'm ordering a greek pizza from Papa Johns and Cheese Sticks, no meat there. -shrugs- say what you want, but sometimes I'm perferctly capeable of not adding any meat to my food. Veggies can be pleantly yummy - just as ribs or steak. So many ways to cook and create dishes, and pies, and desserts too. I just dont see myself eating a flower petal sandiwch anytime soon xD ! 

Heh nope, I wouldn't deprive myself of more options to fill the nutrients I need. But it did make me want to try out cider and eat cake when I prefer pies. 

I do have some aspirations to try going vegan for a day or so but more for the giggles and experience rather than anything ethical based.

You dont have to go completely Vegan or Vegetarian, you could cook Vegan/Vegetarian-Style meals and still apperciate them all the same. Like what I'm doing. I appreciate food and cooking as an art and as a whole medium differently. Thats just - what I love about food, and cooking, in general when your in the kitchen the possblities are endless. You could experiment and so what if you mess up? Its your food, your the only one eating it. Its okay to appreciate something even if your not really following it 100%. As long as your healthy and happy thats what matters, right? ;u; Yolo. 

Edited by Padlock-Keys
  • Brohoof 1

I really love the show for never showing food with meat, instead they eat a sandwich with salad and flowers, or something like that  :lol: .

But it didn't turn me into a vegetarian, it was this horrifying video:

https://youtu.be/ibuQ-J04eLQ

Watching this was like watching a video from a concentration camp, many peoples said, they couldn't watch the first 15 minutes, but I watched the whole 90 minutes, and I can say, I will NEVER EVER touch food, that contains meat again. I REALLY hope you have 90 minutes to spare for this video, it will open your eyes.

Sure, we are the top of the food chain, but we have created so many different sorts of food, that we don't need meat anymore. And we might be the first and only species, that can feel pity for other species, I bet most of you couldn't hurt a cute little thing like this:

post-35452-0-13970700-1445980158.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Nope. My diet is literally exactly the same as it was 3 years ago when I started watching the show. There are many things this show has inspired me with and thus has had an influence, this is definitely not one of those things. Not gonna give up meat just because horses in a cartoon don't eat meat. They are horses, that is why they don't eat meat! Horses don't do that. Humans do.

• Brohoof 5

Alot of scientists believe humans would not have developed the brains they have now if our ancestors had not eaten meat due to all the proteins and such found in meat, plus we developed a pair of canines to eat meat so eating meat *IS* natural for humans and natural in nature. A tiger isn't going to care how cute something is, if it bleeds, it'll eat it. XD

Going all veggie is pointless in the sense of keeping your body fuelled and running and you have to mess about with even more unnatural "suppliments" if you cannot find any replacements for the vitimins found in meat and you can end up with vitamin difficiency which is very unhealthy.

That said, overloading on meat is also bad because meats don't have the vitamins found in veg. 

Hence why humans are omnivores.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

I'm literally chewing on a piece of beef jerky while reading this thread. 

I can't say watching a show about cartoon horses would make me want to go vegetarian, any more than a show about cannibals would make me want to go...

• Brohoof 2

The problem with vegetarianism is convenience.

Meat products are more quickly consumed excluding steaks, and with the more fiber we eat the more we produce stool, so for busier people they would prefer to eat meat and its entirely plausible that they could save more time eating meat.

Also some people are anemic and eating red meat is much more convenient for them

Argument for convenience is valid because if we still did everything in inconvenient ways our days would be alot longer with far less reward.

There are some very valid points to vegetarianism, including that especially outside of the united states(in one study in the UK 10 points iq difference, in the usa 2.25 points higher if vegetarian), those who are vegetarians had higher childhood intelligence. I am unaware what it says about current intelligence however. Apparantly this http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/study-vegans-brainless-but-vegetarians-and-almost-vegetarians-are-the-smart-ones/1436 

• Brohoof 2

Any reduction to the amount of meat in my diet would most likely be due to cost more than anything.  I honestly don't care how cute it is, if it tastes good, I'm going to eat it... if it's cheap enough, that is.

Alot of scientists believe ponies would not have developed the brains they have now if our ancestors had not eaten meat due to all the proteins and such found in meat, plus we developed a pair of canines to eat meat so eating meat *IS* natural for ponies and natural in nature. A tiger isn't going to care how cute something is, if it bleeds, it'll eat it. XD

Going all veggie is pointless in the sense of keeping your body fuelled and running and you have to mess about with even more unnatural "suppliments" if you cannot find any replacements for the vitimins found in meat and you can end up with vitamin difficiency which is very unhealthy.

That said, overloading on meat is also bad because meats don't have the vitamins found in veg. 

Hence why ponies are omnivores.

I take it that you do not know what vegans actually eat... I am vegan and I do not take supplements as there is no need to. Remember, many massive and muscular beings out there are vegan (Elephants come to mind). The only issue is B12, and that is something made by soil bacteria (If you eat animal products you are eating B12 supplements second hand as they have to supplement animal feed with it now.) For me, they add it to nutritional yeast and plant based milk. Also, the bowl of tofu scamble I am eating right now has not only more protein than steak, it is a higher quality protein (by a little bit, like a few points).

Back to the OP question: Been vegan for many years, so no the show didn't inspire me in such a way. It is nice to hear that it has for some other people, though!

• Brohoof 1

On a unrealistic note, if the ponies became real and met you, would it be nice to know that if out can go to Equestria and had to remain human that it would be easy to adapt to their diet and become more accustomed. Plus the inhabitants would not be afraid of you for being a meat eater or becoming more respected by them. Although silly to think about, this may influence a bronies diet as well lol.

I personally wouldn't eat another sentient being so I could explain it that way. Besides, even if I didn't consume animal products, they may still be aware that humans as a specie are omnivores.

Anyway, I love eating meat too much for MLPFIM to stop it. Perhaps only change that would be made is that my human master race mindset would change to sentient master race mindset.

Edited by Luna the Great

I take it that you do not know what vegans actually eat... I am vegan and I do not take supplements as there is no need to. Remember, many massive and muscular beings out there are vegan (Elephants come to mind). The only issue is B12, and that is something made by soil bacteria (If you eat animal products you are eating B12 supplements second hand as they have to supplement animal feed with it now.) For me, they add it to nutritional yeast and plant based milk. Also, the bowl of tofu scamble I am eating right now has not only more protein than steak, it is a higher quality protein (by a little bit, like a few points).

Back to the OP question: Been vegan for many years, so no the show didn't inspire me in such a way. It is nice to hear that it has for some other people, though!

Does that tofu scramble have more than just tofu if not what kind of tofu is it? What's the grams of protein it has?

I tried going vegan for a week before and lost 10 pounds. You might think it's a good thing but considering that I have minimal body fat, a below average bodyweight (right around the border of the "underweighted" category), high muscle density, and an "off scale" metabolism, it's not. For reference, the machine used to measure my static metabolism (static meaning I do literally nothing) went straight up to 1590 Cal per day and stayed there because it's the maximum the measurement scale could go up to.

On top of losing 10 pounds I felt fatigue and had some moderate migraine issues. The symptoms cleared up around 3-4 hours after I had some beef soup for lunch because I felt like I was going to faint.

I know the main reason is not that vegan diet requires supplement, but is that I simply Am not aware of a proper vegan diet that could sustain my more than above average metabolism rate, and my workout routine.

I do plan to go vegetarian in the future, maybe vegan, to be honest I don't know which, but for now I'm sticking with meat until I manage to come across a healthy vegan diet that contains at least 4000-5000 Calories; 200g of protein, and sufficient everything else (supplements probably would come into play).

Edited by Solid Scorpion
  • Brohoof 1

nope, because as a spiritual leader, I see that all things contain life, and simply act to treat what I eat with respect, and love. Everything you eat is alive. The plants take in water and minerals and use them to build plant structures, and herbivores take those plants and intake them to break them down into chemicals energy and minerals to power moving cellular structures, and carnivores take those herbivores in to break them all down to power themselves.

We all feed off each other. When we die our components break apart and are in turn eaten by animals, and taken in by plants - we're all just various pieces of building blocks pieced together to form living structures.

Thus what is most important is respecting the life of the being that is giving up its life for you to survive, whether it be plant, or animal. Remember that just because you cannot SEE it suffer, does not mean that it does not suffer. They have done time lapse videos on plants - and they actually exhibit intelligent behaviour, can see, hear, and even detect pain. They just do it slower as they are farther down on the "evolution" chain.

So yeah, take a cue from the natives, respect what you eat, love all that comes from the earth, and find a use for everything. Work not to not eat something, but to have corporations treat them with respect - free roam, live happy lives before they are sacrificed for our consumption.

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 3