Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does being a brony make you a better person?

Ed Lyons

Are you a better person due to the show? Do you consider there being an old you and a new you? Do you compare the old you and you? Are you happier?

Edited by Rainbow Dash Boy
  • Brohoof 2

I do believe that the show has helped me to have more confidence in myself and therefore as given me a stronger will to do good in the world. It has also helped me overcome my depression issues. So yes, I do believe the show has helped me to become a better person. Also, I do often look back at how I was a couple years ago and I remember always being depressed and lacking motivation to do anything. So I suppose I basically have become a new person.

• Brohoof 2

The show hasn't changed me as a person.

It is very rare for me to come across a television show that makes me re-think my life or anything of the sort.

The show may have made me a better person, but if it did it was too gradual for me to notice. I have a friend that likes MLP and is pretty mean, but before she liked it (Assuming that she wasn't a brony at some point) she could have been even worse.

Well, while it has brought me to a new community of friends for me to befriend and start trying to make many more friends rather than stick with one until they go away to someplace and I make a new one, I wouldn't consider a very dramatic change as a direct result of watching the show. It did bring me a new way to spend my time, too.

Well, the show has certainly had a great positive impact on my life! It helps me remain calm and relax when I'm feeling down or worked up. I don't know if it's actually made me a better person overall, but I think it has, indeed improved my life. It has also made me better at dealing with certain situations. And people knowing I'm a brony/pegasister and accepting that fact has made me feel slightly more confidant about myself.

Edited by Wolves

Well, i guess im more social active as of now. I mean i post many posts here on many Topics and before i watched Mlp and became a Brony, i wasnt anywhere and just watched Videos. ( yes, before that i was in a Forum, but my first forum died out sadly and after that i had nothing to do )

Being a Brony and being on this Forum, killed my boredom, gave me something to live for again and gave my friends.

So...yeah, being a Brony did change a few things. It made me happier again.  :)

Im still not more active in the real world though...  :ooh:

It Does Made me a better person
and helped me with my depression

i used to be a person who....own this face all day :(
and sometimes, sad and lazy, and didn't care about anypony else,shy,

after i'm influenced. the show, community, inspires me, made me glad (just like pinkie first got her cutiemark) kinda like that now
and i tend to help people a lot and, more active in socializing, crazier, i can't explain my feeling.

i'm just glad, Happy

Thanks [is this right on how to end a trying to be awesome lifestory?]

As for the general question, no, I don't think being a brony automatically makes someone a better person.

As for myself though, I do think it has drastically changed my life for the better overall. I know I am different than what I was 3 years ago in many good ways. I am doing more than what I was then, I have so many new friends though most are online and I just have more appreciation for things I like. Learning to accept my love for this show was part of that. 

Sadly, there are a lot of things that are not any different, such as my depression, my self-acceptance problems, my anxiety and other problems. These are still a constant battle regardless of finding this show. 

Am I a better person than what I was? Yes. Not by much though in my opinion.

Nah, there are plenty of bronies who also turn out to be shitty people. Liking a cartoon show won't automatically change who you are

• Brohoof 4

No, if you are a shitty person than liking a certain show even if said show has positive messages won't make you a better person. If you have an open mind and heart than it perhaps might, but hypocrisy is a very real and unfortunate thing. Speaking for myself it hasn't changed me that much, but it has made me a bit more positive.

• Brohoof 1

Even though I am a girl, I have greatly benefitted from the show. It has helped me gain confidence, and it has pulled me out of various times when I have been in depression. Also, the brony community is very kind and welcoming. Yes, I have been affected from this show for the better. 

Why would the show make you a better person? I suppose it could teach you some values, or change you in some way, but i don't believe it can change yer morality. For me, it changed my personality to be a bit happier and more cheerful. Am i a better person because of that? Not anymore than before. But, this is my opinion and experience. Perhaps someone out there did go from "bad" to good by watching the show. Maybe a former bully turned a nice and passionate soul. And honestly, based on the amount of people in the fandom, that's actually very possible. But, personally, my morality hasn't changed too much, though other things have.

I'd have to say yes, it has made me a better person. Not in the sense that it cured my depression or made me a more positive person, but the show made me pursue (and enjoy) art and music even more, two things that are very important to me. I'm a lot more productive.

Even if I end up not liking the show anymore, I believe it will always have some place in my heart for that.

Sure does. The show is something I can relate to in tough times. I've even made changes to my lifestyle I hope nobody ever notices when I started watching the show on my own.

Simply being someone who watches a cartoon for little girls, and not being a little girl yourself, makes you someone who doesn't feel obligated to adhere to societal norms. It broadens the spectrum of what you allow yourself to watch. I'd say this is a positive quality.

I would like to add that it being a fan is easier if public perception of the show is strong, which it isn't. The best you can hope for is to be a good person in other aspects of your life, that way you'll always be judged for your character, before anything unusual about you, like the fact that you watch MLP. Other people will regard MLP fans more positively if the ones they know are good people.

• Brohoof 1