Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media What are your favourite sort of characters?

Odyssey

Characters are very interesting. They have always been important to all kinds of media, from books to video games, and not without reason. Their presence and their wide range of personalities is what gives the story they're in more charm and helps make the plot interesting. Because of that, there have been countless of characters with so many personalities, backstories and goals. But no matter how many characters we see in media, it seems that there are only a handful of them we would consider our absolute favourites. And most of the time, out favourites also happen to have similar traits with one another.

With all of that said, what kind of characters do you like the most? Do you prefer villains? Are most of your favourite characters happen to be of a certain species? Perhaps your favourite characters are egotistical? Do they have dark backstories? I would love to hear from you guys.

• Brohoof 2

My favorite characters are usually the villains that just have a blast doing what they are doing. For example, Discord (of course), and the old Rumpelstilskin from Once Upon A Time - not only was he doing evil things, he was having tons of fun doing them as well. I love crazy characters like that~ :D

Other than them, sarcastic and deadpan characters are ones I like too, especially if they are extremely sarcastic/deadpan~

What about you?

As far as protagonists go, I love the contrast between a main character who really knows nothing and a mentor type character who is hiding a lot of secrets. I also like a group of anti-heroes who work for themselves, but can also work with the heroes if they have to. Villains that believe they are morally correct in their actions are great too.

I love me a character that has developed from a dark back story and also has many flaws to work with. I also love antiheroes, much like Deadpool, with plenty of good puns! Somehow, I have also grown quite fond of mysterious characters, like Dexter from Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Abel from Miss Michaelis "The Storyteller" and such.

Edited by Collibri

I generally prefer weird, outlandish characters that can make me laugh, or a reserved, maybe caring, calm character that doesn't say much, or a confident, even boastful one who rarely doubts them self. Story isn't necessarily one I think about much, but it's nice to have.

I'm a sucker for cocky and hot-headed good guys. They may do dumb stuff, and they may not be the most moral people, but usually they have a good heart and/or usually mean well

Edited by ChicksDigGiantRobots
  • Brohoof 1

What makes a character likeable, to me, is difficult to explain. I never really analyzed the qualities of the characters in media that I have grown fond of. It's actually not often do I find myself truly liking a character...

:huh:

What I can say, however, is that i'm totally weak for attractive anime guys. 

That always gets me liking them; good or evil.

(This should come as no surprise to those who know me on here, though).

I have a thing for the 'crazy but not evil' characters in anime,games...basically whatever media. Honestly I dig people like that in real life too. Outside of that I really enjoy various types of other characters, the cute naive guys and gals that always show up in anime, the hardass battle veterans...so on so forth.

• Brohoof 1

I like dudes that are hot, have a thing for helping out the little guy, and take most things in stride, like Jon Snow.

And I like girls that are total badasses, like Ellen Ripley or Garnet.

And if you're a villain and you're charismatic I'm already on your side.  :love:

I like straight heroes, but particularly I like straight heroes in more modern stories because they serve as almost defiant reassertions to cynical worlds and audiences. Now that isn't to say that such a hero has to be bland and without dimension, just that such dimension never falls into if they themselves are truly moral but rather their behavior, past, relations, or some other vital aspect of what makes a memorable character. A great hero, and not an anti-hero, is a character that you never question is trying to do the right thing, the question is how will they do it in situations that not only don't want him or her to win for their gain but seem to abhor even the notion that they can fight for something good and noble.

Examples of such a character include:

-Optimus Prime

-Captain America

-Kenshin Himura

-Kenshiro

-Hiccup of Berk

-Commander Shepherd (if Paragon)

-Samurai Jack

• 1 month later...

Like a true edgelord, I like characters who are dark, brooding and incredibly cool, who can rip up enemies like they're nothing. Characters like those are my ultimate wish fulfillment characters, so I always enjoy seeing them in series.

I dunno, a greater disposition towards characters who deviates of common and popular tropes like the cool hero who gets everything, flawless, hero through and through, anti heroes who shoot first and ask questions later, idiot hero, naive, etc.... if that counts :huh:. If a character is above the cliches and is well thought and written, they get my appreciation, no matter if everyone else don't 

• 1 month later...

I like brooding female characters. Not just bitchy and annoying, but characters that have a backstory just under the surface that makes us want to know more. Luna is a perfect example.

I also like cocky, jackassy guys who don't take themselves too seriously and occasionally fall on their faces. Think Han Solo, Nick Wilde, maybe Deadpool. There are plenty of others but I can't think of them right now.

A good wholesome hero works for me too. Luke Skywalker, yeah. That's for me. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm big into Comic Book heroes (Not just Superheroes) like Superman, Batman, The Punisher, Deadpool. I'm sucker for some female characters who can do gymnastic/acrobatic skills like somersaults or handstand. Do fall for some characters in media I'm not into.

• 5 years later...

I tend to like cute characters, characters that start naive but get stronger and badass, and villains that are just pure chaos~ your Appleblooms, your Jadens, your Jokers

Edit: I also love characters that are staunchly anti-authority and won't take crap from anyone ie. Stone Cold Steve Austin

Edited by Pastel Heart