Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does everyone insist the series must end now?

Slashy

Does no one have faith that Hasbro couldn't make lightning strike twice the way Dragon Ball did with Dragon Ball Z and (arguably) Dragon Ball Super?

I mean even the concepts that everyone insists must be relegated to fanfiction were well received there, shipping, off-spring, tonal changes, entirely new lore out of nowhere. People say every cartoon should end after a certain number of episodes, but no one would be dumb enough to tell you that Dragon Ball should have ended after Goku got married.

• Brohoof 2

Everyone? I could point out the fallacy in the title and the fact that you confused ending the show with changing narrative styles, and stop there - I would also like to point out that some of the allure to MLP is the current tone, balance of slice-of-life to adventure, and accessibility to a larger general audience. Those reasons are why some would suggest that they want to keep a similar tone. That desire however does not mean that people want it to end. Those that want it to end seem to be focused on a perception of declining quality and not changes in tone/pandering/format/style.

I like the current season as is. Fine with it continuing. I'm not alone.

• Brohoof 6

I thought we had a thread with this title already?

As Jeric pointed out, it's not that people really want the show to end, but that they're more concerned that the show will decline in quality. Some TV watchers believe that most of the time this happens to shows that go on for very long periods of time- Spongebob and The Simpsons are the oft-mentioned examples (I don't watch either of those shows regularly so I can't really give an opinion on them). They simply don't want FiM to suffer the same fate- unfunny humor, rehashed plots, excessive character regression, etc.

Whether the show really is declining/jumping the shark is, of course, a matter of individual opinion.

• Brohoof 6

@@Slashy, as stated above, this is VERY similar to your other post concerning the series ending with the film.

I'm not inclined to lock it because it is different, but that might be something to think about in the future.

• Brohoof 2

I guess I'd just be repeating what's been stated above, but it's basically the same. The lack of quality the show supposedly has it's more due of perception rather than fact, but for FiM to lose quality as time goes on is, unfortunately, a very real possibility, as many other popular show have suffered for it. It's kinda surprising that it hasn't befallen FiM despite the popular perception :huh:. I hope the writers are smart enough to make a spin off, I mean, it's not like there's are not shortage of potential plots with it's rich variety of characters  

• Brohoof 2

Mainly because I feel like having the series end with a big budget theatrically released film would be a great way for FIM to go out with a bang.

If it were to continue onwards after that, I feel like the series finale would be a lot less satisfying.

I highly enjoy this show and I want it to end on a good note and I feel the 2017 movie would be the best note that it could possibly end on right now.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Now you see, I'm very different in this respect. I openly admit I want the show to end. But why, you may ask? The reason why is because I love MLP:FiM for the world and characters. I don't mind the quality of the show, and I don't mind if the later seasons turn into garbage, but I'm dead tired of hearing Bronies talk about this and that; Things that make me cringe and dislike on the Brony community.

To put it simple. The world has already been defined in the first few seasons, as well as the characters. But as the show progresses, the world and characters are being 'shifted' into a different definition, and even Bronies put in their own piece which further redefines the world and characters; I don't like this.

Don't get me wrong. I respect everypony's opinions. But at the same time, I don't like the fact that the world and characters are being redefined. Please don't ask me how it's being redefined, because it's not easy for me to explain how.

But as an example, and this is something we all should have noticed (And spoiler alert here).

If you watch season 5 and 6, you'll notice that it's starting to turn into a whole new world. It really is. You can sit there and deny this, but MLP:FiM is starting to "feel" different. This is especially true in season 6. Those that have watched the newest episode: Newbie Dashie, would have noticed that Rainbow Dash is acting very different from her original definition. She did feel like a different Pony to me. She wasn't Rainbow Dash as I originally knew her.

The same can be said for a lot of the whole characters, and even the world. I feel as if this is a different universe being opened up here.

Not to forget the fan-made stuff. I'm not even gonna get into that, but some fans really make me want to hate on the community and puts me off of MLP:FiM, despite the fact that fan-made stuff ain't official or even accurate, but it still can put me off the show.

All I'm saying is the world and characters were defined in the first few seasons, and for me, that is Equestria to me. But lately, Equestria is shifting into a new different world, and the characters along with it. It just doesn't feel the same anymore, and this is why I want the show to end.

You could argue that I shouldn't let the newest seasons change the world for me, but it's not easy to not let it affect how I see Equestria.

Not to forget, there are very personal aspects of Equestria that means a lot to me. MLP:FiM is a lot more than just a show to me, and the same can be said for many other Bronies. It's a lot more than a show.

If you ask me. They should end G4, and continue the franchise in a different generation, because that way, the Equestria I know and love will not be influenced with new content. Sorry, but that's the way I feel about it.

PS. I don't really want to get into this, I'll just throw out my opinion on it. But that's all I'm doing here.

Edited by Lightning Dash
  • Brohoof 1

I actually see more people who would rather the series keep going on than to see it end. It's still hotly debated whether it should end now or whether it should keep going. Some people will argue commercial reasons as well as continuing high quality to continue the show. Others, myself included, think it should end soon in order for it to preserve its current qualities, avoid the risk of becoming a Franchise Zombie, and to open up the possibility for spinoffs and other possibilities involving the characters and world that the current series cannot tackle. Fandoms almost always outlive the original iteration of their central franchises, and in the case of successful franchises, so does merchandise.

Like I said on the similar thread in the movie subforum, six seasons and a movie is beyond just a joke on Community; it is a fair amount of running time for a successful show. In addition, almost all of the major character arcs that were opened at the beginning of the series have been closed. Twilight's studies finally paid off. Rarity got that shop in Canterlot. The Crusaders got their cutie marks. We finally got to see Rainbow Dash in full Wonderbolt uniform. There aren't too many new arcs opening up, and neither is there enough focus on other characters for the show to transition to a new cast. Those are signs that FiM could be ready for its day.

• Brohoof 4

Heh. I've been insisting this show end since season three and have been extremely vocal about it. I'm not worried the show's going to turn to shit. Rather, it's my observation that it already has. I only enjoyed half of season four (though the good stuff exceeded my expectations, so it still tops 1 & 3 on those grounds), and most of season five was a trainwreck. I can't speak for season six since I still haven't watched past the premiere, so I don't know if its any improvement, but by example it's usually downhill once the fuck-ups are more consistent, and it doesn't get better unless there's some kind of reboot or there's a new staff or something to that effect. That's why I prefer shows only have three to four seasons and then call it quits. That's what all the best shows do, at least. Though, we're past the point of return there, so screw it I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

I just think it makes sense. Hasbro has a long history of Killing shows BEFORE they slam into the ground, saleswise and rebooting or reinventing them to try and keep them fresh.

Look at littlest pet shop for example: its sales have been growing, but they killed it with the intent of making a new LPS series. They don't WANT to wait till the sales die, they want to continually keep things going in a cyclical "reinvention/reboot" manner for their franchises.

Like, for example, look at transformers. Even if a series is selling well, they'll try and end it when it starts to get slower and make a new one. They ended animated, they ended prime and they're going to end Robots in disguise.

hasbro HEAVILY holds to the "Fleeting demographic" rule and is incredibly averse to having their series continue on for that long; They like to assume that their target audiences move on after about 2-3 years and try to reinvent for a new audience instead. FIM is a MASSIVE outlier in that its gone on for so long.

Plus, the fact is, they're just not trying to keep the show's staff together in any concievable form right now; They have writers jumping ship left and right and they're bringing in almost Temp level writers to do one Story and then leave as well. It looks like a store that's about to close so they're having to use temps to keep it open until the close date here :P

Basically, the fact is they don't seem to be putting any effort into maintaining a stable of long term writers or REPLACING the writers in a long term manner, and the show's gone on for a long time.
This seems like the normal time that Hasbro would end something with a movie and then reboot or make a new gen like they do with all their other series.

• Brohoof 1

I just think it makes sense. Hasbro has a long history of Killing shows BEFORE they slam into the ground, saleswise and rebooting or reinventing them to try and keep them fresh.

Look at littlest pet shop for example: its sales have been growing, but they killed it with the intent of making a new LPS series. They don't WANT to wait till the sales die, they want to continually keep things going in a cyclical "reinvention/reboot" manner for their franchises.

Yeah, I think this is another reason why people believe the series is ending soon- it may make sense from a story perspective, as they might be running out of ideas soon, so they might want to make a new sequel series or a reboot (which I find kinda unlikely, given how attached we are to this continuity) to keep things fresh.

It's possible that they could keep the series running indefinitely and still have it be good, but that would be really hard to pull off.

I try to keep things positive and say that just because FiM ends doesn't mean MLP has to, or even the current continuity. They could just make a sequel series that will focus on new characters and/or make the Mane Six side characters in order to keep things interesting while still keeping the world and characters we've known and loved for so long.

Also, do you mean the current LPS show is getting replaced by a new one, or are you talking about the 1995 being replaced by the current one?

I don't feel that people want the show to end, but rather feel that the end is coming.  With the CMC getting their cutie marks and Rainbow Dash becoming a wonderbolt, it feels like the writers are trying to wrap the show up.  I hope that this does not happen soon, but it does feel that way.

• Brohoof 1

Also, do you mean the current LPS show is getting replaced by a new one, or are you talking about the 1995 being replaced by the current one?

The current one; they have a new LPS in the works to replace the current one they're ending.

The current one; they have a new LPS in the works to replace the current one they're ending.

Seriously? Dang...I heard they're cancelling the current show due to poor toy sales, but I had no idea they'd actually pull another reboot.

.I heard they're cancelling the current show due to poor toy sales

I don't think its due to poor toy sales, or at least the toy sales dropping: they boasted at the last toy fair that Littlest pet shop sales were GROWING.

Just hasbro is weird about this sort of thing and doesn't like to wait for things to crash.

I don't think everyone. I want the show to go for as long as possible, quality of episodes is a secondary issue for me. I will miss waiting until Saturday to watch ponies if the show was to end, I don't care about the quality of episodes, just seeing them makes me happy.

I don't necessarily think everyone wants the show to end, or at this point I should say.

I mean sure, it's been on since late 2010, but every show has it's good points and down points, and this last episode for example was a low point for some people. It depends series-by-series for most people when they start running out of ideas - The Simpsons will have run for 27 years in 2016, for example, and a lot of people think they've run out of ideas for example, including me. Now, I'm not saying MLP should be on for over 20 years, but it's just an example on how some shows can go on and on and still have some success, no matter how stale or unoriginal it can get. MLP can have a few more good years, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Does no one have faith that Hasbro couldn't make lightning strike twice the way Dragon Ball did with Dragon Ball Z and (arguably) Dragon Ball Super?

I mean even the concepts that everyone insists must be relegated to fanfiction were well received there, shipping, off-spring, tonal changes, entirely new lore out of nowhere. People say every cartoon should end after a certain number of episodes, but no one would be dumb enough to tell you that Dragon Ball should have ended after Goku got married.

A lot of people seem to believe that a show has a lifespan and if the show continues after that lifespan, it degenerates.

I disagree, because its an amazing show and my favorite show, and I sort of hope it never ends. 

• Brohoof 2