Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does everybody seem to hate moons?

Libarty Justice

Ever since they first game up in the series as a wa y of measuring time I've seen reviewers always give strikes for any mention of "moons" as a measurement of time.  Usually this invokes a strike or some at least semi-hostile reaction and I don't really get it.

Because they are not very well established measures of time and are pretty vague and confusing.

They make trying to judge how much time has passed in the show a real pain.

• Brohoof 2

Because they are not very well established measures of time and are pretty vague and confusing.

that's understandable. having them cl3erified owuld defiantley help

• Brohoof 1

Because most of the time it rarely makes any sense and they never clarify how long they mean by "moons"

• Brohoof 2

Yep. It's a term specifically designed to prevent the construction of a detailed timeline. A show as big as MLP could easily afford to hire a continuity expert to maintain a coherent timeline and fill in these placeholders with units that actually mean something.

I think the attempt was made to establish a measurement of time specific to their civilization, which was a good idea, but it ended up being confusing because of real-world connections and it didn't always remain consistent.

A similar thing happened in the original Battlestar Galactica from the 70's, where numerous different terms were used for measurements of time, but again, not always consistently (they ended up making fun of it themselves in one episode).

I guess that as people said, it might confuse some people and isn't something obviously known. But, I believe the only thing that it could logically mean is that a "moon" equals one month. Having the Equestrian system work on monthly cycles rather than mere days is an interesting concept and it would have been nice if that was elaborated further. I also think that when used, "month" makes sense as a placeholder for "moon" in all or nearly all occasions instead of days or years.

Seeing the title on the front page I thought this was going to be about the planetary bodies. XD

As others have said, moons are just a confusing concept. It would be fine to have it as the show's own thing, but it is not explained very well at all. There is barely any info on exactly how long a moon is in that world. Like, 30 moons for example. To me it just sounds like 30 nights, or could it be 30 full moon cycles? Then we would have to know how long a moon cycle is there and it just gets more confusing and convoluted.

Because it's buggy for most of us because how vague that information becomes. I do know we have a chronological measurement of moon in real life, but that applies in FiM :huh:?

I'm personally not a fan of it, mainly because (to me) it just sounds silly. It also becomes very vague over time because they never really explained what a "moon" would equate to in actual time (In terms of AM/PM)

wait....you try and keep up with things going on in the show?

Rather confusing as to how long a moon is... It doesn't make sense. I just assume a moon is a month because another fandom I'm in uses moons as months, so I tried connecting that... They really need to tell us how long a moon really is

(edited)

Joke answer: because moons are just entitled little bitches that piggyback on the fame and success of their planets.  They're just stupid rocks with no atmosphere.  Who needs em?

Real answer: I think it's really cool sounding, but it would be nice if we knew exactly how long a moon was.  I'm assuming it means one lunar cycle (about a month), but I'm honestly not sure.  However, the standing problem of all fantasy or sci-fi that doesn't take place on Earth is that there's no way to actually know how any of their measurements of time compare to ours without the show makers more or less breaking the fourth wall, so to speak, by implying or outright telling us that X amount of time = Y Earth days, or something like that.  So, in other words, a day, month, or year to the ponies wouldn't necessarily be at all the same as ours, and there would be no way to know, because it would break the lore for them to compare measurements to Earth, a planet of which they have no knowledge.

Edited by Justin_Case001