Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which episode would you suggest be a new viewer's first?

pnylvr

If someone said to you, "I want to give the show a try. Could you recommend an episode for me to start with?", what would you suggest they watch?

Personally, I would recommend Sonic Rainboom. It shows the personalities of and interactions between most of the major characters fairly well, and has no major flaws IMO. 

Probably the Season 1 premiere, Friendship Is Magic. It does a nice job of setting up the characters and the basic mythology of the show.

However, my first episode was Castle Mane-ia and it did a good job of introducing me to who the major characters are without getting into too many details that would've required me to have already seen the show. The only thing that would prevent me from recommending it is the fact that it would spoil Twilight's transformation in Magical Mystery Cure. While that didn't bother me, it might bother some people later on if they do decide to watch the whole series.

• Brohoof 4

A Canterlot Wedding is a great start. Great setting, music, and the plot will interest them. It's not too late in the continuity/story besides introducing Shining Armor and it showcases the mane 6 characteristics fairly well especially interacting with each other.

This question gets brought up every now and again. If your friend doesn't mind getting spoiled by Twilight becoming an alicorn, then feel free to show them anything after season 3. Here a a couple of episodes that I would show someone based on the season:

• Season 1: The Cutie Mark Chronicles and Party of One. I feel like everyone chooses PO1 for some reason. I guess it's because it was so memorable and well written. It still hold up to this day. A classic in all of our eyes :lol:.
  • Season 2: Return of Harmony, Lesson Zero, Luna Eclipsed, Sisterhooves Social, Read it & Weep, Hurricane Fluttershy, and Canterlot Wedding. I could keep going, but I would eventually just write every episode from the 2nd season. No wonder why people love it so much :squee:.
  • Season 3: Sleepless in Ponyville, Magic Duel, Wonderbolts Academy.
  • Season 4: Testing Testing 1,2,3. Pinkie Pride.
  • Season 5: Amending Fences
  • Season 6: The Saddle Row Review, Stranger than Fan Fiction.    
  • Brohoof 1

Well, the first episode of course. Since MLP has a story arc for some seasons, technically showing them anything from Season 2 or later too early counts as a spoiler. Besides, the first episode is the best at introducing the characters, setting and mythology of the universe. It was the first episode, so they purposely designed it to be good for new viewers since they didn't HAVE any viewers yet.

• Brohoof 1

I'm always a start at the beginning type person. So yea.

Friendship is Magic part 2 is the episode that made me fall in love MLP so of course that would be my answer

Still my 2nd fav episode of all time

• Brohoof 1

I like the idea of starting a show in order so that someone can see its initial setup, and the device that sets the ball rolling for future episodes. Plus, the series opener is pretty action-packed! :) Plus, you wouldn't have to run the risk of revealing spoilers. Some slice of life episodes don't reveal anything major, but it's still pretty cool to see how the characters' chemistry first started to develop. ^^

• Brohoof 1

I like the idea of starting a show in order so that someone can see its initial setup, and the device that sets the ball rolling for future episodes. Plus, the series opener is pretty action-packed! :) Plus, you wouldn't have to run the risk of revealing spoilers. Some slice of life episodes don't reveal anything major, but it's still pretty cool to see how the characters' chemistry first started to develop. ^^

That's a good point. It's practically essential to understand the character's development. Their motivation for doing the things they do. I forgot to mention it.

Edited by Misscellanio
  • Brohoof 1

The very beginning.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to start on some random episode, I'd want to start at the beginning to see how they got to that random episode.

I hope that makes sense. :twi:  

Edited by Sparklefan1234

I would suggest my favorite episode, Magical Mystery Cure, as a first episode. It shows why Twilight is such a significant character in the Mane 6 by having her fix a disastrous problem she caused and has great songs. While brief, it also shows a pretty good interaction between Twilight and her brother that is touching. Double Rainboom is an avoid at all costs episode for me.

Edited by Dr.Egoshire

Saddle Row Review. Absolutely hilarious and showcases the personalities of the Mane characters perfectly.

Episode 1. You start watching a show from the beginning.

While I can see this argument, the early seasons are definitely more "girly" then the later episodes, so if the person is only willing to watch one episode before making their judgement, best not to start with an episode that has "unicorn powers" in one of the opening lines. The reason I say this is because, and there are exceptions, one of the biggest hurdles when trying to show someone this show is proving it isn't "just for little girls". Edited by NeonCobalt

While I can see this argument, the early seasons are definitely more "girly" then the later episodes,

Well, the show is "girly". If someone doesn't like that then maybe this show isn't for them.
  • Brohoof 2

Well, the show is "girly". If someone doesn't like that then maybe this show isn't for them.

To be honest, despite It's premise, and the fact that It's about ponies and all, the show Isn't really that girly anyway. Want an example of something ultra girly? Go look at Monster High or Barbie.

To be honest, despite It's premise, and the fact that It's about ponies and all, the show Isn't really that girly anyway. Want an example of something ultra girly? Go look at Monster High or Barbie.

Actually it doesn't really matter if something is girly or not as long as it is well-written. Barbie movies are among my favorites. Granted, I'm a girl, but I love them for other reasons. I like the writing and they way they're made. If anyone likes the basic story enough it shouldn't really matter what demographic it's shooting for. 

As for what episode I'd introduce someone to MLP with, I'd say Lesson Zero, which is the one I started with. I got hooked right away and never looked back. I did introduce someone once with Party of One but, after he got hooked on the show, he told me the first episode would have been more effective because it was a better intro to all the Mane 6. 

• Brohoof 1

Actually it doesn't really matter if something is girly or not as long as it is well-written. Barbie movies are among my favorites. Granted, I'm a girl, but I love them for other reasons. I like the writing and they way they're made. If anyone likes the basic story enough it shouldn't really matter what demographic it's shooting for. 

Oh, I'm not saying that girly movies and shows can't be well written or anything, I'm just saying that MLP Isn't really that girly. Yes, there are things here and there, like Rarity's thing for fashion and all that, but that doesn't hinder the experience for me. In fact, it doesn't even really matter.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial