Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The consistent misspelling of Cadance's name.

Azureth

I have noticed more often than not Cadance is misspelled Cadence instead of Cadance. When you think of Cadance just think of dancing. I know this may seem like a very minor nitpick but it bothers me. If it were anywhere else I would understand but for a MLP Brony/Pegasister forum I would think it wouldn't be so common. Sorry, rant over. 

• Brohoof 1

well I mean... auto correct changes cadance to cadence...:P so I guess that adds to confusion... (why does English have to be so confusing :eww: )

I always wondered what the correct spelling was, but I never knew where an official confirmation would be and I always saw everyone spelling it as 'Cadence' so I decided to just roll with that. :P Now that I know, though, I'll probably start spelling it as 'Cadance.'

Although Cadance is the character's name, Cadence is the proper spelling of the word on which her name is based. Add to that the spelling of her full name (Mi Amore Cadenza) as well as puns such as "Deceptive Cadence" and the confusion is somewhat justified.

• Brohoof 1

Princess Mi Amore CadEnza = CadEnce = ¯\_()_/¯

They probably went with the other version to make her pop out, but I don’t care.

This.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true but I've heard that it had something to do with legal issues. Either someone else had copyrighted the name Princess Cadence or they couldn't copyright it because it's a regular word.

Since she does have a full name, I think all spellings of shortened versions are technically valid. Maybe Cadance is her personally preferred short name spelling, even though it doesn't make logical sense?

• Brohoof 1

Cadence is an actual equestrian term used by those who ride. I had always assumed the 'e' spelling because that is the correct term when referring to how a horse walks or trots.

Also annoying is their inconsistent spelling of "griffon", although to be fair there are about three accepted spellings of that word.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't bother me too much when I see Cadence instead of Cadance. What does drive me up the wall is seeing spellings like "Candice/Candace" and "Candance".

Edited by Lady Kiriness

I admit I've been guilt of using both spellings, but part of the problem is her full name was pronounced as "Mi Amore Cadenza", plus Cadence is an actual term (and a horse pun to boot!) and ponies tend to have a noun based naming conventions. By this point, both spellings may as well be valid given how many people constantly mix up the two. 

• Brohoof 1

I use Cadance out of habit, just because that generally seems like the "official" spelling. That's the same reason why I tend to prefer the canon name Minuette over the fandom name Colgate.

Though the two spellings, Cadance and Cadence, are so interchangeable in common fandom usage that the MLP Wiki will actually accept both when you search for the character. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just spell it the way you are accustomed to, I guess?  :love:

• Brohoof 1

Princess Mi Amore CadEnza = CadEnce = ¯\_()_/¯

They probably went with the other version to make her pop out, but I don’t care.

This. 

Although Cadance is the character's name, Cadence is the proper spelling of the word on which her name is based.

And this.

Damn, this subject annoys me to no end. I'm sorry, but "Cadance" just irritates the hell out of me. It's not the correct spelling, damn it!!!   :angry:

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 1

It doesn't bother me too much when I see Cadence instead of Cadance. What does drive me up the wall is seeing spellings like "Candice/Candace" and "Candance".

Yeah, I wouldn't call somebody out for spelling it Cadence, just like I wouldn't call somebody out for saying "colour" instead of "color" because that's just a dialectical difference in spelling.

I've seen the spelling "Cadence" everywhere, but I don't really care either way :) I personally like to go with "Cadance" though.

It also reminds me of Croatian (my language), in which place/town names that end with "ec" are on some occasions spoken with "ac" instead. So it's essentially the same thing but reversed :lol:

It originally was Cadence in the stuff leading up to A Canterlot Wedding (I believe Meghan even shared a picture of the script that had that spelling). However by season 3 they started using the spelling Cadance as the official spelling. A lot of people continue using Cadence out of habit.

• Brohoof 1

I used "Cadence" for years because, as others have mentioned, it's a word. And the definition

In Western musical theory, a cadence (Latin cadentia, "a falling") is "a melodic or harmonic configuration that creates a sense of resolution [finality or pause]."

seemed related to Cadance as a character, being a kind princess with a beautiful singing voice and all that. Since so many people used that spelling as well I never considered that it could be incorrect. Took me years before I saw some merch and realized I'd been spelling it wrong

Still prefer Cadence. Fite me

So we're talking about Cadehnacnece? Cool. I've known it's Cadance, but for awhile I thought of it as Cadence because when I played Club Penguin years ago their was a character named Cadence.

Well the thing about it is that Cadance's name is likely derived from Cadence which is an actual word so there can be confusion on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_(music)

It's just like the Tantabus which is spelled Tantabus in MLP but it's derived from Tantibus which means nightmare in latin. Why they do this to create more confusion I don't know.

Damn, this subject annoys me to no end. I'm sorry, but "Cadance" just irritates the hell out of me. It's not the correct spelling, damn it!!!   :angry:

This.  I much prefer "Cadence".  I didn't know which was officially canon for a long time.  I tend to bite the bullet now and write Cadance, but I hate it.  There, right there!  Right now, the spell check catches "Cadance", but not "Cadence".  :dry:

It originally was Cadence in the stuff leading up to A Canterlot Wedding (I believe Meghan even shared a picture of the script that had that spelling). However by season 3 they started using the spelling Cadance as the official spelling. A lot of people continue using Cadence out of habit.

I spell it Cadence, because I'm a musician and it just looks right. Cadance just looks misspelled imo. 

Princess Mi Amore CadEnza = CadEnce

Yeah....you know what?  I'm sorry, @Azureth, I'm switcin' back.  CADENCE.  It just looks better.