Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general When do you start listening to Christmas music?

gamecubeguy214

Christmas music  

90 users have voted

1. 1. When do you start to listen to it?

• I listen to it all year
    • Right when November starts
    • As soon as it shows up on the radio
    • Right when December starts
    • I never listen to Christmas music
    • Other

There are certain Christmas songs that I listen to all year. Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xtpJ4Q_Q-4

Oh, who am I kidding? I listen to any kind of Christmas music randomly throughout the whole year, in hopes that I can summon the return of the Winter Solstice for the first time in five years.

Although, I'm not talking about all Christmas music. In fact - ironic considering I'm an atheist - the majority of Christmas music I like are the really old Christian ones. Some secular ones are good, too, but generally the ones I can listen to all of the time are the old Christian ones like the one I above. The reason I like them is that they're melodies passed down sometimes going as far back as the middle ages. I love ancient melodies like that. They're gorgeous.

• Brohoof 2

I don't like Christmas music, so I never really play it.

Never if i have a choice in the matter. But since it literally is played everywhere in an attempt to beat you into submission for the holidays, pretty much the day after Halloween and until the first of the year.

*November 1st*

CVS: "Jingle bells, Jingle bells, Jingle all the way! Oh what fuuun, it is to ride..."

Me: Isn't it a bit early to start playing Christmas music?

CVS:

IN A ONE HORSE OPEN SLEEEEEEIGH

• Brohoof 1

as long as its actually December, then it's fine to have Christmas music and even films/tv specials on.

but omfg the shops were already playing them from last weekend (it was still october!) and the street i work on has had christmas trees up since the 2nd (nov) and im my opinion, its faaaaaaaaaaaar too early, ffs we're still technically in Autumn, its not Winter yet! 

family tradition, tree and decorations dont go up until the 12th. Think its advent or something then, but I always assumed it was the first weekend off from school so my parents got the decs out for us. 

• Brohoof 1

I did more before. But lately i don't. It feels too much like a year of materialism. Although the concept isnt bad. To give more of yourself to others, like presents. So i dont consider it a bad tradition, but i am not hugely involved in it.

• Brohoof 1

I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC

I normally really start getting into the festive vibe at around 1st December, but I start sort of occasionally playing a Christmas tune here and there throughout November!

• Brohoof 3

I mostly listen to it just after Thanksgiving. ^^ That being said, I do sometimes listen to it at random points throughout the year. 

• Brohoof 1

I listen to it whenever I find myself in a Christmassy mood. This can be any time of year and often is. I listen to some of my old Christmas records in July if the mood strikes. It doesn't have to be at Christmastime, and enjoying good music of any kind shouldn't be pigeonholed into a narrow window of time. It's way too good for that.  :proud:

• Brohoof 2

This may make me sound like a Grinch, but I really only listen to Christmas music on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Any earlier and it makes me want to change the radio station or CD. On one of the radio stations I listen to in my car, they start playing such music about a month before Christmas. That really doesn't help in trying to keep the music fresh...

• Brohoof 1

I hate Christmas music with every fiber of my being, but considering it gets played on the radio starting late November I really can't get away from it. The only one that doesn't cause me to instantly change channels is the Mariah Carey one, and even that's only because it reminds me of Christmas theater in high school, which was awesome. I don't actually like the song itself, much, although I at least consider it listenable.

I usually listen to it when it's available for me, like in the radio, mall, workplace or when my dad turn it on.

I usually go by when my local Christmas station, WLTW, switches over, which is usually the Friday before Thanksgiving. It's a decent time for me because it avoids starting too early and puts it right through Thanksgiving. I'm usually frustrated by the lack of variety on the station but I like the DJs. I prepared my own YouTube playlist because there are a lot of songs that aren't as popular as the standards that I actually find better than many of them, for example, did you know the Home Alone theme has lyrics? That song sends chills up my spine and I never once heard it on the radio.

Working during the holiday for two years broke me of Christmas music.  There's little innovation, little complexity or progression, coming from the genre. We've pretty much heard it all before. It's just so tame and boring to me. So I try to avoid it if at all possible. Stick with whatever rock and metal come out during the winter solstice season. 

sig-4724767.22090.jpg

In some ways, I do have to agree on that assessment. Most of what are considered Christmas standards today came from the postwar era and even a lot of newer songs aim to have the same sort of nostalgic feel to them. There are some rock covers of Christmas songs that I find fun, though, and some crazy parodies, some of which are too obscene to post on this site, that serve as a nice seasonal antidote.

Also, 5-star meme right there.
Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

I usually go by when my local Christmas station, WLTW, switches over, which is usually the Friday before Thanksgiving. It's a decent time for me because it avoids starting too early and puts it right through Thanksgiving. I'm usually frustrated by the lack of variety on the station but I like the DJs. I prepared my own YouTube playlist because there are a lot of songs that aren't as popular as the standards that I actually find better than many of them, for example, did you know the Home Alone theme has lyrics? That song sends chills up my spine and I never once heard it on the radio.

In some ways, I do have to agree on that assessment. Most of what are considered Christmas standards today came from the postwar era and even a lot of newer songs aim to have the same sort of nostalgic feel to them. There are some rock covers of Christmas songs that I find fun, though, and some crazy parodies, some of which are too obscene to post on this site, that serve as a nice seasonal antidote.

Also, 5-star meme right there.

Here, it's B105.7 WYXB. They usually start around December, and they're usually good. They're locally owned (Emmis Communications, out of Indianapolis) so the station is usually better than your typical CBS/Clear Channel/other radio conglomerate station. Also, yeah, you learn some things you don't know sometimes about Christmas music, and music in general.

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely love Christmas Music! It's been a tradition in my family to leave the radio station to the channel that only plays Christmas Music. It usually starts playing a little after Thanksgiving. That's usually around the time that we put up our fake Christmas tree too  ^_^

My favorite song is Last Christmas by Wham! You can probably find me blasting it on repeat  :love: