Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can furries be conservatives?

Meire

I just imagine them being the opposite for some reason, or atleast they seem to be alligned to it. Because i saw this video of a furry being, asking question to Milo Yiannopoulos

Edited by Meire

Of course they can.  Conservatism isn't an 'all or nothing' package, there is no reason at all why furries, bronies or members of any other (generally liberal) fandom shouldn't lean enough to the right or identify with certain aspects of conservative ideology enough to call themselves conservatives.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 3

Peeple shouldn't strive for any kind of label like this. If you are a fan of something and it is something you are passionate about, then that is just what it is. Sure, you don't want it to impact other important things in your life, but I feel there is far too much stigma around someone being very passionate about what they like.

Of course they can.  Conservatism isn't an 'all or nothing' package, there is no reason at all why furries, bronies or members of any other (generally liberal) fandom shouldn't lean enough to the right or identify with certain aspects of conservative ideology enough to call themselves conservatives.

Agreed, though most bronies and furries lean to the left as far as I know, though that has to do with age demographic than what they like. People in their twenties and thirties lean heavily to the left, forties and fifties more towards the center, and beyond that people are more conservative.

Agreed, though most bronies and furries lean to the left as far as I know, though that has to do with age demographic than what they like. People in their twenties and thirties lean heavily to the left, forties and fifties more towards the center, and beyond that people are more conservative.

That is a bit of a generalisation, but probably not a million miles off the mark.  I myself have never been particularly left-wing, nor particularly right-wing, although I may lean heavily to either direction depending on the specific topic in question.

• Brohoof 2

To answer your question, yes, furries can obviously be conservative, but I assume the majority isn't. I just found that video hilarious. I didn't know that guys before, but he's pretty cute and funny considering my first impression  :P

Edited by Velcorn

That is a bit of a generalisation, but probably not a million miles off the mark.  I myself have never been particularly left-wing, nor particularly right-wing, although I may lean heavily to either direction depending on the specific topic in question.

It's a good guess given the age demographic, though. I'm a Christian fundamentalist high on the authoritarian scale; and I realize that's rare in bronies; so I don't go off touting my opinion all the time.

Fandoms are often diverse. 

Edited by Vlazamal

What does liking animals have to do with your political views? This seems like a question that's assuming something about conservatives, like that they hate fun. I would refer you to your own vid of Milo. He frequently states stuff about his fun.

Sidenote: Despite what people may tell you, Conservatism is not "that thing for racist old people" and Liberalism "the way of the modern era"

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 2

A conservative isn't necessarily a Christian fundamentalist.  Social Conservatives aren't the only kind of conservatives, and conservative values are more than just religious.  The general consensus that I've seen among conservatives is a dedication to encouraging capitalism, defending Second Amendment rights, decreasing federal spending/taxes, and pursuing an aggressive foreign policy.

I've met a few homosexuals who identify as conservatives, so I'm not at all surprised to hear about furries, and people who generally identify as part of a subculture, who have conservative standings, as well.

• Brohoof 2

Conservative typically refers to right-winged political ideology. It also isn't black and white in what makes you conservative. If someone says they are conservative, that doesn't mean they share ALL the same views as other conservatives. It simply means they generally tend to lean towards the conservative side on certain issues, but it doesn't mean they ALWAYS do. For example, my grandparents are very conservative, but they are actually supportive of medical marijuana (something that I've noticed "conservatives" are assumed to be against).

Your interest in something like furries does not mean you can't have a conservative view on other things.

• Brohoof 1

Sure why not? I mean it is not like becoming a furry means you are automatically enrolled in Scooby Doo's school for clues or something with no option to join anything else.

I think you are pretty much free to vote or worship any way you like, whether or not you are wearing a fursuit.

hi. im a retired from fandom furry (too much drama and i moved on) and im from a conservative family. 

it doesnt matter

furries just making it a big deal as usual, but theres other fandoms thatll react the same way. 

• 3 years later...

Of course. Literally the only criteria for being a furry is that a person likes anthropomorphic animals. There's nothing political involved with it. There are even quite a few well-known people in the fandom (often called popfurs or popufurs) that are conservatives, or at least have some conservative views. 2, The Ranting Gryphon comes to mind.