Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What episode made you start liking your current favorite character?

Tilgoreth

I mean genuinely like. Not just casually. Like you wanted to see more of this character. It's hard to choose my favorite character but I'll just say Rainbow Dash for now. Up until sonic rainboom I didn't like her that much. Sure she was the cool daredevil character who always succeeded at everything. Sure she's cool and realistically the most instantly likeable character but that's all she was. So yeah I didn't really like her. I didn't hate her it's just I wasn't fond of her. But in sonic rainboom we actually saw that she did have fears. She lost her self confidence and couldn't perform the sonic rainboom. But in the end it wasn't not worrying about what other people thought but instead realizing that her friends life was more important than performing the sonic rainboom. Which of course did allow her to succed. And after that I've loved every Rainbow Dash episode. Because even though she's the most physically capable she also has some of the biggest insecurities. And even though I hate to admit it I can't relate to a character or care about them unless they have some depth. Also I said I hate to admit simply because it's ridiculous to say I relate to a fictional character pony or otherwise. Strangely enough this was also the episode developed a hatred for another character. Rarity. She was selfish, egotistical, and downright dismissive of Rainbow Dash. Even though Rainbow Dash was clearly freaking out. After that it took awhile before I liked Rarity. Well that's it for me.

• Brohoof 1

I never hated Rarity, but I used to think she didn't represent her element well, and overall I didn't care so much about her. I thought she was really funny though. After watching Rarity Takes Manehattan (I was relatively new to the fandom back then) I read/watched a lot of reviews because I really liked that episode, and I started seeing her character in a different light because of them. After re-watching her older episodes I found myself really liking her, and understanding her actions better (specially in Sweet & Elite, which became one of my favorite episodes), and she has been my favorite ever since.

• Brohoof 1

After I watched MLP for the first time, I choose Rarity as my Favorite Pony but Originally I was gonna change my Favorite Character after I finished 1 season but then I watch A dog and Pony Show, Rarity really shines that episode (along with the This is Whining quote) and now Rarity is Permanently my #1 Favorite Pony and I not changing it.

Edited by Zachary
  • Brohoof 2

Lesson Zero. To be true, i didnt give a damn about Twilight back in Season 1, but this episode gave a deeper inside character psyche and Twilight suddenly became more interesting. I like her less after season 4, Twilight was so boring in Season 4, but then Amending Fence made me like her again.

Buckball Season. I like Snail, just from seeing the preview, this is the first time this show treat this character with respects. After Buckball, i want to see him more.

No Second Prance. This episode finally made Trixie a genuine character, even reformed, she is still being her boastful side, i love reformed villain still be themself.

Rarity Takes Manehattan. This is a episode that define Rarity's Element, Generousity, from now on, Marshmallows pony is the most fabulous member of Mane 6.

• Brohoof 2

Some of you have heard the long form story of this, so I will use this opportunity to quote one of my fav films and also reference my first post on MLPF.

f512ff9bee084263df5571d3c81388019dcb0631

The evolution of a Rarifan

2011 - Sonic Rainboom - "Ew. Lipstick Pone! Ok. So this Rarity character is obviously the token commercial for the product. Good show, but I don't think I can get past this."

Legend-of-Korra-Book-4-Three-Years-Later

Dog and Pony Show - "Well, maybe I misjudged this Rarity character. At least the writers liked to turn a trope on its head a little."

Suited For Success - "Ok. So .... great episode was great. Rarity is a legit character with some surprising depth. Why can't I get that song out of my head."

Sisterhooves Social - "That's like my sister and I. Adorable, heartwarming, smart, and ... huh ... I really like Rarity now."

Suite and Elite - "Ok, so Rarity is a well devised and acted character with humorous neuroticism and relatably flawed. That song tho! Watch out Twilight ... someone may just take your spot."

Rarity Takes Manehattan - This happened!!!!

The kids will tell you that I actually said "OK you win!" at that moment. In the end, it was replaced by a few other scenes (some of earlier episodes), but that was the moment I became a die-hard Rarifan. 

• Brohoof 3

Originally, Fluttershy was my favourite character because how I was as shy as she was. The episode that made me appreciate her was during season three, "Keep Calm and Flutter On". Sure, it may not be the best and it did start the reformation trend that the show is now known for, but I feel Fluttershy was able to connect with Discord in a way that no one else ever could. She has since become my second favourite with Sunset becoming my favourite.

This has to do with Rainbow Rocks portraying Sunset as struggling to find a place in a world that was now rejecting her after the horrible things she did in the name of power. I can relate to her personal struggles because I've been in a similar situation many times in the past.

• Brohoof 2

I never hated Rarity, but I used to think she didn't represent her element well, and overall I didn't care so much about her. I thought she was really funny though. After watching Rarity Takes Manehattan (I was relatively new to the fandom back then) I read/watched a lot of reviews because I really liked that episode, and I started seeing her character in a different light because of them. After re-watching her older episodes I found myself really liking her, and understanding her actions better (specially in Sweet & Elite, which became one of my favorite episodes), and she has been my favorite ever since.

I really only started liking her after she opens her Canterlot boutique. Because that episode s about her creative expression and how succed had trampled that. But I really only hated season one Rarity. After that I was just disinterested

After I watched MLP for the first time, I choose Rarity as my Favorite Pony but Originally I was gonna change my Favorite Character after I finished 1 season but then I watch A dog and Pony Show, Rarity really shines that episode (along with the This is Whining quote) and now Rarity is Permanently my #1 Favorite Pony and I not changing it.

Like I said I hated season one Rarity. But she was much more likeable later on. But I didn't really start to like her until Vanderbilt boutique.

I liked Applejack the most up until "The Mysterious Mare Do Well". The Rainbow Dash fanclub, the cheering crowds, the photo ops...

Rainbow Dash became my favorite and I never looked back.

Yeah I get the feeling that most people wouldn't agree with the reasons why I like Rainbow Dash.

Lesson Zero. To be true, i didnt give a damn about Twilight back in Season 1, but this episode gave a deeper inside character psyche and Twilight suddenly became more interesting. I like her less after season 4, Twilight was so boring in Season 4, but then Amending Fence made me like her again.

Buckball Season. I like Snail, just from seeing the preview, this is the first time this show treat this character with respects. After Buckball, i want to see him more.

No Second Prance. This episode finally made Trixie a genuine character, even reformed, she is still being her boastful side, i love reformed villain still be themself.

Rarity Takes Manehattan. This is a episode that define Rarity's Element, Generousity, from now on, Marshmallows pony is the most fabulous member of Mane 6.

Yeah I agree with all of this. Except the last one. I only liked Rarity after Vanderbilt boutique.

Rainbow Dash was my favorite before I started watching the show.

Yeah I can see that. Like I said she is the mostly instantly likable character. But I only liked her after sonic rainboom.

Some of you have heard the long form story of this, so I will use this opportunity to quote one of my fav films and also reference my first post on MLPF.

sig-4764930.f512ff9bee084263df5571d3c813

The evolution of a Rarifan

2011 - Sonic Rainboom - "Ew. Lipstick Pone! Ok. So this Rarity character is obviously the token commercial for the product. Good show, but I don't think I can get past this."

sig-4764930.Legend-of-Korra-Book-4-Three

Dog and Pony Show - "Well, maybe I misjudged this Rarity character. At least the writers liked to turn a trope on its head a little."

Suited For Success - "Ok. So .... great episode was great. Rarity is a legit character with some surprising depth. Why can't I get that song out of my head."

Sisterhooves Social - "That's like my sister and I. Adorable, heartwarming, smart, and ... huh ... I really like Rarity now."

Suite and Elite - "Ok, so Rarity is a well devised and acted character with humorous neuroticism and relatably flawed. That song tho! Watch out Twilight ... someone may just take your spot."

Rarity Takes Manehattan - This happened!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdSeZCwOUQw

The kids will tell you that I actually said "OK you win!" at that moment. In the end, it was replaced by a few other scenes (some of earlier episodes), but that was the moment I became a die-hard Rarifan.

Yeah I couldn't stand Rarity in sonic rainboom. I still think she's shallow sometimes. at least I don't hate her anymore.

Originally, Fluttershy was my favourite character because how I was as shy as she was. The episode that made me appreciate her was during season three, "Keep Calm and Flutter On". Sure, it may not be the best and it did start the reformation trend that the show is now known for, but I feel Fluttershy was able to connect with Discord in a way that no one else ever could. She has since become my second favourite with Sunset becoming my favourite.

This has to do with Rainbow Rocks portraying Sunset as struggling to find a place in a world that was now rejecting her after the horrible things she did in the name of power. I can relate to her personal struggles because I've been in a similar situation many times in the past.

Despite keep calm and flutter on being one of my favorite episodes I didn't start having affection for her until FlutterBrutter. She was assertive while still remains kind.

I have to say To Where and Back Again, it was when I thought that finale was probably the best one yet even better than the overhyped and overrated Season 4 one. It was something different for a change and didn't just rely on a Rainbow Blast to defeat a villain like in previous ones. This episode show the flaws of Starlight of having to deal with something without the help of any other pony around or having to use magic, after the episode, I have since watched the other S6 episodes that had Starlight as the main character and it was there it was all but confirm that I had a new favorite character to watch not to mention that she doesn't stick to a single trait like what the Mane 6 do.

• Brohoof 1

Suited for Success was the moment I first started liking Rarity. Up until that point Rarity had gotten very little characterization and the little she did get painted her as a very shallow and prissy pony. This episode though was her moment to finally shine, and shine she did. Plus... I think she looked really cute in her glasses.

• Brohoof 1

I have to say To Where and Back Again, it was when I thought that finale was probably the best one yet even better than the overhyped and overrated Season 4 one. It was something different for a change and didn't just rely on a Rainbow Blast to defeat a villain like in previous ones. This episode show the flaws of Starlight of having to deal with something without the help of any other pony around or having to use magic, after the episode, I have since watched the other S6 episodes that had Starlight as the main character and it was there it was all but confirm that I had a new favorite character to watch not to mention that she doesn't stick to a single trait like what the Mane 6 do.

I couldn't agree more. Starlight definitely became one of my favorite characters. But I disagree with the last statement. The mane 6 do have multiple traits. Especially Rainbow Dash.

Suited for Success was the moment I first started liking Rarity. Up until that point Rarity had gotten very little characterization and the little she did get painted her as a very shallow and prissy pony. This episode though was her moment to finally shine, and shine she did. Plus... I think she looked really cute in her glasses.

Yeah personally that didn't happen for me until Vanderbilt boutique.

Despite keep calm and flutter on being one of my favorite episodes I didn't start having affection for her until FlutterBrutter. She was assertive while still remains kind.

Flutter Brutter was an okay episode for me but then Zephyr Breeze does make it a difficult one to watch.

• Brohoof 1

You mean after 6 seasons? It takes you 6 seasons to have affection for Fluttershy, i guess Hurricane, Keep Calm arent enough :D.

About Rainbow, i really like RD back to season 1, her Sonic Rainboom show how awesome she is and Cutie Mark Chronicles show how IMPORTANT she is in the group, but after season 1, dont like her anymore, she is the member of mane 6 hold the idiot stick for numberous times like Mare Do Well, Daring Dont, Rainbow Falls (heck, even Pinkie cut her off in Twilight Kingdom to show how bad that episode is), Cart, Newbie and 28 Pranks (i like the last 2 ep but i have to admit RD hold that idiot stick again). Her character is inconsistent, when she throw away that stick, we got fantastic Stranger than Fanfiction. I was a RD fan, and i really want but...

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

I liked all the characters from the start, but I didn't really settle on a favourite until "Lesson Zero," when Twilight's anxiety about deadlines felt especially relatable to me. She expects too mech from herself, and while I already liked her as "the smart one," that aspect, combined with reconsidering her at a time when I was trying to reach out to friends more, made me identify with her a lot. God, I wish the show would let her be that relatable again. It's been years.

Honestly, Rainbow Dash and Rarity are currently rising in the ranks for me, and I came to appreciate both of their arcs especially after they both showcased increased maturity in "Dragon Quest." Rainbow won me over fully by "Wonderbolts Academy," whereas Rarity got my attention with "Rarity Takes Manehattan." Both show those characters at their most upstanding - not strictly their most interesting, but certainly their best from a personality angle. I was especially delighted by their shared episode in season 5 because I tend to like them for many of the same reasons - they've both changed quite obviously since the show started, and they both have lofty ambitions. Another shared episode please.

• Brohoof 1

I actually really liked Fluttershy from the get go. She left a pretty good impression in the first episode. She was always my favorite, but I guess it was Keep Calm and Flutter On or Filli Vanilli that really made me appreciate her more.

• Brohoof 1

Ffuttershy was my absolute favorite, until Magical Mystery Cure. Twilight becoming a princess really made me think about her character more and it made me appreciate her a lot. It started from there and it was a snowball affect after that. Now she is my favorite of the mane 6. :twi: While I related more to Flutters before, I mostly related to her through my flaws. Twilight is a character I can connect with on a more positive level.

• Brohoof 1

I first started with Luna because of Luna Eclipse, but my best pony from a long time now, Fluttershy, it was mostly because of some fics I've read

Cool to hear that. News 've to know.

Flutter Brutter was an okay episode for me but then Zephyr Breeze does make it a difficult one to watch.

I thought he was hilarious. Speaking of which his names redundant. Zephyr means soft breeze.
  • Brohoof 1

Fluttershy was my favorite when I first started watching.. but seeing Twilight and her personality and how i could connect to and relate to her so well, allowed her to surpass Flutters. I still adore Fluttershy though despite fancying Twilight more.

• Brohoof 1

I thought he was hilarious. Speaking of which his names redundant. Zephyr means soft breeze.

Sure, he does have a humourous charm but he also has an attitude that many have detested.

• Brohoof 1

You mean after 6 seasons? It takes you 6 seasons to have affection for Fluttershy, i guess Hurricane, Keep Calm arent enough :D.

About Rainbow, i really like RD back to season 1, her Sonic Rainboom show how awesome she is and Cutie Mark Chronicles show how IMPORTANT she is in the group, but after season 1, dont like her anymore, she is the member of mane 6 hold the idiot stick for numberous times like Mare Do Well, Daring Dont, Rainbow Falls (heck, even Pinkie cut her off in Twilight Kingdom to show how bad that episode is), Cart, Newbie and 28 Pranks (i like the last 2 ep but i have to admit RD hold that idiot stick again). Her character is inconsistent, when she throw away that stick, we got fantastic Stranger than Fanfiction. I was a RD fan, and i really want but...

Actually I hated ,28 pranks later. It spat in the face of everything Rainbow Dash had done up to that point.

rainbow dash, in the choose your pet episode in season 1

Yeah that was actually pretty cool.

The mane attraction obviously got me fan girdling after Rara

That was actually probably one of my favorite Applejack episodes.

I liked all the characters from the start, but I didn't really settle on a favourite until "Lesson Zero," when Twilight's anxiety about deadlines felt especially relatable to me. She expects too mech from herself, and while I already liked her as "the smart one," that aspect, combined with reconsidering her at a time when I was trying to reach out to friends more, made me identify with her a lot. God, I wish the show would let her be that relatable again. It's been years.

Honestly, Rainbow Dash and Rarity are currently rising in the ranks for me, and I came to appreciate both of their arcs especially after they both showcased increased maturity in "Dragon Quest." Rainbow won me over fully by "Wonderbolts Academy," whereas Rarity got my attention with "Rarity Takes Manehattan." Both show those characters at their most upstanding - not strictly their most interesting, but certainly their best from a personality angle. I was especially delighted by their shared episode in season 5 because I tend to like them for many of the same reasons - they've both changed quite obviously since the show started, and they both have lofty ambitions. Another shared episode please.

Well after Applejacks Day Off I'm sort of back to not liking Rarity. I don't hate her but it's hard for me to like her more based off of how she acted in that episode. She was just to selfish to be likable in that episode.