Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Stupidity in the my little pony section at the store.

Starlighty

I went to Fred myers to see what latest mlp stuff they got and a little girl was standing there looking (trying to decide what she wanted) and she picks up this

http://www.target.com/p/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-collection-golden-oak-library-playset/-/A-50716135?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Toys+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Toys&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9032911&gclid=CKbo-Me3iNECFQuAfgodJAQI7w&gclsrc=aw.ds

And tells her mom she wants this one, she handed it to her mom and the mom looked it over and said well this one has wizardly amd im not comfortable with thar and told her to get something else well then of course she picked up the one i was looking at and her mom said how about these two (it was elsa and someone else and a olaf) OMYGOSH you had no idea how badly I wanted to scrowl her on how Elsa is ice queen which hello is a witch thing and how olaf comes from magic powers!

Twlight is a unicorn to begin with... but she was dressed up as star swirl the bearded FOR halloween..

I was so annoyed with this mother that i just walked away.

Edited by Starlighty
  • Brohoof 9

Really????

This mum wouldn't let her daughter buy the MLP: Golden Oak Library Playset because it contains themes of wizardry and she's for whatever reason, uncomfortable with such themes, yet Frozen gets a free pass?

Can you say double standards?

Edited by shoyrumaster11
  • Brohoof 8

It is always unintelligent for a parent to assume they know what their child is into, and whether it is a bad influence on them if they aren't displaying any misbehaviour. Not only that,but children can end up resenting parents for not 'getting' them. They can be too quick to judge via their own beliefs but if explained or taught otherwise it won't change, either. Next time just say 'i cdnt help overhearing, and actually its about etc etc. They might change their minds with a bit more info behind their decisions ^^

• Brohoof 5

I wonder what was going through her mind, honestly. Has she perhaps never even really given any attention to what her child watches, so she never realized that Frozen has magic in the first place? Or does she just associate bad "Wizardry" with the costume rather than the actual magical powers?

Who knows with this kind of parent.

• Brohoof 3

Parents are often times pretty stupid. It's about them assuming that they don't have to use critical thinking when dealing with children.

To be fair when you work a 9-5 job and raise a kid it's not like you have the leisure time anymore to stay on top of the latest trends in children's entertainment, not like we do.

Frozen probably just got a pass because it being Disney it had a marketing budget the size of the Swiss GDP and is so entwined with the present cultural consciousness it's hard to be uncomfortable with it. MLP on the other hand doesn't have nearly as severe a presence as anything Disney related, except for us nerds.

• Brohoof 6

Even I have to question the mother's reasoning for choosing to go with toys from Frozen instead of MLP all because she has an issue with wizardry. In the end, her decision was final and her child has to accept what she is getting. Still, I do find it silly that the MLP toy was ultimately passed over because of something deemed insignificant to most.

• Brohoof 1

It's funny that we used to think parents are are all wise :dash:

Parents can be wise and smart, and most of time we still need to follow their authority. I think people in the US today just undermine family roles. 

• Brohoof 3

Reminds me of my parents as a kid. Quite conservative about what my brother and I would read and watch. I'm sure if I were to talk to my parents about my love for MLP and explain the show to them, they would flip out if I talk about unicorn and alicorn magic because it would be "witchcraft" in their eyes. My parents are the kind who won't allow Harry Potter in their house.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... Can I play devil's advocate? I want to play devil's advocate! Please?!

*ahem* Alright, we don't know the parent's mindset, but I have a theory. Imagine growing up in a very conservative Christian community (we have them all over the South US), where witches, wizards, warlocks, sorcerers... blah blah blah, are considered evil. Note that these are usually small sects within larger communities who are more open and less critical of such things. Anyway, let's say that this parent feels uncomfortable with the playset because the wizard outfit looks like... well, a wizard. Starswirled is basically Gandalf + Dumbledore + Pony. This is probably one of those parents who won't let their kids watch Harry Potter is all I'm saying. Again, not as uncommon as you'd think where I'm from.

So, say this woman has been brought up through her entire life never questioning that these images are bad things for people like her to be associated with.

Contrast with Frozen, which I still haven't watched out of spite for that annoyingly catchy song. Does Elsa look like a witch? No. She looks like a (more) cartoony version of Cinderella that just so happens to be platinum blond instead of dark blond. She looks like a princess. The pony looks like... well, I'd say a nerd like me, but to some people, it looks like someone who draws upon very dark powers for very sinister purposes.

Now, I'm not saying it's right, but for a lot of people with very strict conservative religious upbringings, it can color their perceptions of even the most innocent things.

EDIT: Repeat, this is not bashing Christianity as a whole, merely stating the facts that there are some people who fit this mindset. My family (barring myself) are Methodist and Baptist, and I love them dearly.

Edited by GlaciesFrost
  • Brohoof 7

Parents really don't have time to rectify on these cartoons though on her defense. She is just deciding on what she sees right then and she can't afford to go back home to research this she probably has to go pick up the girl's older brother from soccer practice, cook dinner and other things so while she was shopping she was probably planning on picking up groceries and maybe some house appliances along the way so for her to go back and forth for that.... really not easy. And if she also works that makes it more harder for her.

I think the least you can do is give her the details and help her not get mad.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

The reason that this reminds me of Jehovah's Witnesses, was that I was married to one for 3 years..she was much more leniant with things like this at first but she then let the others in the kingdom hall get to her...

• Brohoof 3

The reason that this reminds me of Jehovah's Witnesses, was that I was married to one for 3 years..she was much more leniant with things like this at first but she then let the others in the kingdom hall get to her...

I find this entirely possible, though I don't personally have any acquaintance with Jehovah's Witnesses. The local Witnesses group is rather small. However, I don't discount it being from any other sect, as I've seen parents who apply to this belief just a strictly in the local Methodist Church and Baptist Church. 

• Brohoof 1

How is the mom supposed to know she was dressed up as a wizard for Halloween?

Either way, Frozen sucks, bad choice by the parent.

Frozen is not that bad, its just being overrated.

Evil is not from the outside, it from the inside, you dont need a wizard hat and a staff to be evil. How about the priest in the Hunchback of Notre Dame?

• Brohoof 3

Frozen is not that bad, its just being overrated.

Evil is not from the outside, it from the inside, you dont need a wizard hat and a staff to be evil. How about the priest in the Hunchback of Notre Dame?

I watched it and didn't find it all that good. Just my opinion. I of course agree that's it's overrated either way.

I'm not the mother, no need to talk to me about evil and where it comes from. I'm just coming from her perspective, seeing it from her eyes.

• Brohoof 1