Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you want to live forever?

Olsen1987

Assuming I could pass this gift around as I pleased (or so long as I had the money to pay for the treatment for my friends) I would GLADLY take the eternal life route. I'm assuming that this cure would halt aging, cure all diseases, provide immunities to said diseases, the works, so you wouldn't die by "natural" means. 

If I could allow my extended family (ie my closest friends) to join me for the ride, I say I'd live forever... or until I get bored from having seen everything ten times. Seriously, though, I have a very long list of things I want to do, and not enough time in this life or two or three others to do it in. If my friends do not want to share in this eternity, so be it. At least it was their choice not to join me, and not cruelty of fate. 

I expect my immediate family would all choose no, so I'd have to make my peace with that. A good number of my friends, though? We'd be toasting with wine from this era of humanity's history as we wore our solar-proof future shades and watched the sun explode outward through our solar system, eventually overtaking and destroying the planet we once called home.

After enough sheer boredom, however, I would probably simply choose the best time to end things, after tying up whatever loose ends my millions of years of life had (which might take almost as long as the life itself did).

tldr, Yes, if I could bring my friends. Otherwise... probably still yes, because I want to do so many things.

I'd rather have a normal lifespan because I couldn't bare seeing all of my loved ones age and die while I didn't.

"Who wants to live forever?

Who wants to live forever?

Ooh

Who dares to love forever?

Oh oo woh, when love must die"

Death is the end. Just because someone might grow bored of life doesn't mean you have to be. An eternity of learning and experiencing new things is great. You might argue that you'll have to watch your closest friends die off, but hey, when you live forever, you eventually move past it.

• Brohoof 3

Immortality is a curse, not a gift. I say this because, if you lived forever, you'd see your friends and family die. Also, knowing you'd live forever, you wouldnt make any effort to make friends.

Depending if you had any power, either magical or not, you would eventually take over and that could end badly for everyone else xD

Even tho it sounds like a tempting idea at first, I would say no because the idea of seeing those close to me die or seeing the world getting sicker by the minute its not something I would want to witness. Besides, wouldnt it be boring at one point... living forever or for a large amount of time must be boring when you reach an age when you have done everything you wanted to do and there's nothing left for you to do... idk that's just my opinion 

Forever. Because can always get new loved ones. Some people theirs die early. There are people who live on despite that, and sure it'd hurt, but life hurts. Not all the time, and thats why living is good, because its not boring.

^ This right here is very good. "You can always get new loved ones"

Of course, the people you love are precious to you, but there is no rule saying that you cannot love again. I've read fanfics before where Celestia or Luna say that exact sentiment. So 300-500 years would be my pick!

• Brohoof 1

i think that the longer you live and the more you see people die, the easier it would be to move on.
you know you'll see them die, but they would die anyway.
or: wouldn't it feel better that your friends will never see you die?

No. That would just be selfish.

I already hate the idea of dying but the idea of myself being an old man with gray hair and wrinkles on my face and just looking older and older as millennia go by I see even worse.

Edited by Starlight Flyer

^ This right here is very good. "You can always get new loved ones"

Of course, the people you love are precious to you, but there is no rule saying that you cannot love again. I've read fanfics before where Celestia or Luna say that exact sentiment. So 300-500 years would be my pick!

Also what if they become immortal too? Then its fallacious to assume they would die right?

No, because you never said that your look did not stop aging. I don't want to look like Eddie from Iron Maiden in my lifespan.

i don't really see that as a bad thing :P

could always look like the mummy too.

and there's probably lots of things i didn't mention.

Type 1 immortality -- sure, sign me up.

It would mean being able to do things like learn an instrument or three that I have not seen as being worth the significant fraction of the meager amount of time left to me. 

Well, my life has been miserable until a few months back. If you'd asked me that question back then, I would answer with another question: May I die right now instead? Now however, I got mixed feelings towards it, as the future might be dark, or it may not, but I think I'd accept it in the end just to see what the future holds, and what humanity has to offer. The world always changes, things go, but new things come, and I think I'd be thrilled for each one of them  :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

i'd like to live longer than the average 80 years. Probably a good thousand, but then i would wanna die.

There's a Doctor Who character in the newest season who lives forever, but her memory can't hold all the memories over all those years. She forgot her loved ones, her children died in the Bubonic Plague, never wanted to get close to anyone ever again. I wouldn't be able to do that for very long.

• Brohoof 1

I would jump at the opportunity if I could upload my mind into a machine to prevent the issues of diseases and biological mortality. Id say no to being ageless because theres too much kryptonite lying around. We also dont know what long term effects agelessness would have on our bodies. At least something artificial can be predicted and adapted/fixed. 

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

I'd want to. My phobia is dying so I'd wanna live forever... It'd be even better if I could let a loved one live forever as well.

Ditto on both, and I would love to live forever if you wouldn't die of other natural causes (fantasy world anyone?)... it'd be nice to do everything you've always wanted to do, and unlimited money would help too..

But in all seriousness, I'm just a living breathing anxiety puddle so I don't know if my body could handle forever.

Type 1 immortality -- sure, sign me up.

It would mean being able to do things like learn an instrument or three that I have not seen as being worth the significant fraction of the meager amount of time left to me. 

There are 'types'?

O_o

How on earth are there 'types' of immortality?