Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Movie Trailer

PinkiePie97

50 minutes ago, Frozen The Unicorn said:

Loving the Art Style. It's same but also different. DHX has outdone themselves once againpinkie.gif.83e3aab4f9291fc6b5380c221803b4a1.gif

I feel like it needs more frames per second or something, its weird, I know others like it and its different but, idk how her head turns n teeth move, I guess its because she is giggling tho but it reminds me of games when you turn too fast and you see the clipping frames. Might just be me.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well the art-style does look like movie quality so I guess that's what Hasbro are going for. It looks pretty much similar to PowerPuff Girls Movie except much better polished due to that movie still looking like the TV show with a glossy touch.

It looks promising. Also, the trailer of this movie eerily resembles to Independence Day where aliens come in and take over the world.

Edited by ZethaPonderer

Watched it five times and one time I frame by frame'd it. 

Like some have pointed out, I'm hoping they clean up the CGI zeppelin. Pony cloning should also not be a thing on a large production unless they are going for a nod to Season 1's use of duplicating background characters. Saw that three times. I also feel for the VA that got overshadowed by the new character stars. I understand why they are doing it this way, but it is still making me a little irked. 

All in all, my hesitations remain as do my expectation of being entertained for 80-90 minutes. I love the art style, the effects, and the scope. The backgrounds and environments look gorgeous. The new characters actually have me excited. Also, Tempest wielding magic gave me Kylo Ren vibes. Broken horns apparently still allow unicorns access to magic. It looks more unstable in the few frames, like Kylo's lightsaber with the cracked crystal. 

Can't want to see it. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

As I said in another topic, I'm speechless... The animation is so freaking beautiful :pinkie: Is even better than I thought. I like the 2.5D animation (except the Zeppelin, I hope they will fix it). Oh god I can't wait for watching the film! :love:

Edited by jorge123esp

7 minutes ago, Hierok said:

I loved the trailer. I was happy to see Trixie and Starlight. Hope they get a little more screentime then only one shot. :orly:

i didnt even catch em in it *runs off to watch it again*

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Should the movie have product placement?

I don't know where it'd fit. Although technically, the entire film is a commercial for Hasbro's toys. 

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, The Cynical Lone Wolf said:

Its coming out the same day as Blade Runner 2 starting Harrison Ford

That's actually great counter programming. It could increase the Pony attendence by 3.7% if I remember the old formula we used for forecasting G films that opened opposite specific genres. That isn't huge, but a net gain is a net gain. Blade Runner will actually get a similar boost (larger). 

The split audience indicator formula is usually accurate if there is one family film up against one genre film. Horror and period dramas are the exception. Works well when forecasting action, comedy, and sci-fi though.  

18 minutes ago, Mae Borowski said:

heyyy i wasnt the only one who thought that :D  yaay

I thought of the animated characters from Space Jam. It's using some of those animation techniques and sensibilities (on Pinkie especially), which is why some are suggesting odd frame rates and movement. 

3 hours ago, MAIKUN said:

I mean, will they use the animation style for Season 8?

No. Unless season 8 is going to have a year + long hiatus. Assets that fit this style take a long time. It would be like launching a new series from scratch with full length quality animation. 

4 hours ago, The Cynical Lone Wolf said:

This what Im worried about, but you also ignored my second point. The movie at most will have 90 minute run time, and with so many characters I feel the movie will be a clusterf**k.

This is a legitimate concern. At best there will be characters who are visually there but don't say or do much. I suspect that may fall on some of the Mane Six. It also creates a situation where new characters who are interesting get less screentime. Too many speaking roles and general character-juggling can also screw with pacing. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

ALRIGHT. BREAKDOWN THEORY TIME.

Image one: obviously from like 5 minutes before the end of the movie.
Skystar is a gryphon, and wearing Pony seashells that match the mane six (mostly-- there's a green one on the back. Might be EOH coloration?), and more specifically, are the same color scheme as Sia's Cutie mark.

So skystar is a hippogrpy and we know there's hippogryph guard toys. Is skystar just TRANSFORMED into a gryphon, or is skystar maybe just ADOPTED by queen novos and her true form is a gryphon princess, with her sea pony form being the transformation? (like her land was invaded and she sought refuge with the seaponies?)

Are the seashells just a visual usage of the mane six's color themes, or are we going to have some EOH themed macguffins?

speculation two:
Image here. In the trailer, a weary Twilight is holding Storm king's staff, and the other 5, quite fresh, come up to hug and contratulate her.

Another scene, which would look to directly follow this shows the other 5 turning around angrily and protectively around twilight in a "get through me" pose.

So, from this I can gather that Storm king was probably just Solo defeated by Twilight with the other 5 either not around, worfed, or imprisoned in some manner unable to help, like in issue 4 of the comics or as a cheer squad like in Friendship games. Twilight is holding storm king's staff when being hugged/congratulated, which indicates his defeat in some way specifically.
Given how the other 5 are immediately after this shown to be defensive around twilight, I'm betting storm king's minions, or grubber or Tempest, are coming up to try and surrender and say they no longer wish to fight, being punch clock villains and having Learned the lesson of their ways.

Now, My conjecture on the above: I HOPE I'm wrong, as I seriously don't want another "Other five sit out the big events" scenario while twilight (and possibly some of the new characters) saving the day.

FOURTH CONJECTURE:
Strife: in teh comics, he's a character shown in the prequel comics who is more ruthless than stormking, betrays and HUMILIATES storm king, and makes it blatantly obvious that he's more evil than Storm king.

I'm rather hoping that Twilight defeats storm king, and then we get Strife showing up and assuming the TRUE role of big bad (look at that giant storm cloud at one point in the trailer for example), with possibly a defeated storm king and tempest teaming up with the group to defeat strife.

This is unlikely however, as there is NO mention of strife anywhere in the VA info or promo material apart from the prequel comic.

1498696519026.png

Untitled.png

large.png

Untitled222.png

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 2

OMG IT LOOKS SOOOO GOOOD! :love: I think everypony is just thinking it looks bad because it doesn't looks exactly like the show, but what did you expect for a major film? Anyway, best part of all is I am related to, and have the same last name, as the actress for Princess Skystar! So this movie is extra special for me! 

6 minutes ago, Star Petal said:

OMG IT LOOKS SOOOO GOOOD! :love: I think everypony is just thinking it looks bad because it doesn't looks exactly like the show, but what did you expect for a major film? Anyway, best part of all is I am related to, and have the same last name, as the actress for Princess Skystar! So this movie is extra special for me! 

We've known for a while what the art style was going to be. I don't think anyone that is an animation geek would think that Flash would what they were going to use for a wide release film. No. Most of the complaints seem to be tied to movement (the actual animation) more than the art style. To me it looks great, but I'd be a liar if I said I couldn't see what they see. 

Shame I was asleep when this was first announced! :okiedokieloki:

Very impressed with the animation. It looks like 18x better than the show! And I really like the show, so that's saying something. :smug:

Really like the action sequences. And some of the humour looks good. The intro actually reminds me of the one to the SpongeBob SquarePants movies. :lol:

27 minutes ago, Star Petal said:

Anyway, best part of all is I am related to, and have the same last name, as the actress for Princess Skystar! So this movie is extra special for me! 

Requoting this because I just had to say that's kinda cool. Kristen's story is definitely amazing. I wonder if she ever found out who her birth parents were? She is who I'm most excited to see in this. I have to dig out the pic of her and my wife from 13 years ago during a Wicked event we attended. 

• Brohoof 1

The animation style is so sweet, I think I'm liking it more than the show style. :D It gives me kind of a Disney vibe and Disney vibe is good. The only thing that bothered me about the animation (and it apparently bothered others as well) was the zeppelin since as a 3D thing it looked so out of place with the rest!

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the film because of new characters that look interesting and it'll be a delight to see more of that animation style. Although there isn't literal hype to me, I'm curiously waiting.

Positives: AJ getting a role in the movie, Movie isn't focused on Twilight, Movie moving away from the girl show cliche.

Negatives: Pinkie is quite obnoxious in the trailer, hope this isn't the case in the movie, movie is still focused on the Mane 6 being together again, not having seperate adventures for each character, no sign of Starlight, no references of S6 or S7.

I was really hyped about this movie, but I hope this isn't a case of a great trailer for a mediocre movie. I'm also hoping for some Rarijack moments in the movie.

(edited)

3D CGI hmmmm... I'll give it a try some of the humour in it looks a little more funny than usual but one of my biggest pet peeves is when a show changes the animation style this is why I stoped watching spongebob when the new movie came out.

Hopefully the storyline will still be good can't wait to see how this turns out.

Edited by DatBronyGuy