Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think there ever will be a villain far more evil and darker than Tirek is?

AlicornSpell

I'm hoping "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" will someday have a villain as evil and dark as a villain like Dark Danny from "Danny Phantom" is. 

While Tirek from "Friendship Is Magic" was pretty evil and dark, I feel like they could do a villain WAY worse than him.

I don't know, I don't feel that would be right for this show. I like my villains vaguely goofy like Chrysalis, or with sympathetic qualities like Starlight. I think Tirek and Sombra are about as dark as this particular show can go without changing some of the things which make it appealing. 

3 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

I feel like they could do a villain WAY worse than him.

How about Daybreaker? She is more destructive (burn everything), more trolling (less reasonable), more fun (not too serious). I know she is just an imagination but the writers can just pull some assbull to make her real :orly: 

Still not satisfied? How about a villain like this:

8050c4e86b90732c2bc85aa6c8a40f700d84d199_hq.thumb.jpg.f21c986bd67286202492c4720518fbaf.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Daybreaker could be that candidate, but they sorta ruined that by having it be a dream, which is probably where she will stay. She seemed far more evil and powerful than Nightmare Moon and could have rivaled Tirek in this way, considering she would have the Sun on her side. Currently I feel that Tirek will still reign supreme for a while because, well, he wanted to basically absolutely destroy everything AFTER stealing all magic in Equestria and to me, the only thing that could come close would be torture, which I don't think we will see anytime soon.

• Brohoof 1

I think it still possible to go darker without crossing the family-friendly line. Sombra's fear factor was mainly stated by small glimpses of past action and appearance. Tirek was more straightforward, if not albeit generic conqueror. I think a villain who specializes in psychological fear can be done in FiM 

(edited)
5 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I don't know, I don't feel that would be right for this show. I like my villains vaguely goofy like Chrysalis, or with sympathetic qualities like Starlight. I think Tirek and Sombra are about as dark as this particular show can go without changing some of the things which make it appealing. 

But Dark Danny from "Danny Phantom" was WAY worse than Tirek and Sombra were, and Danny Phantom was still considered a kid's show.

Also The Powerpuff Girls had a one time villain named "Dick Hardly" (yes, that's his real) in the episode "Knock It Off" that managed to be one of the most evil and despicable villains ever in the show. And some of the stuff that Dick Hardly did were far more evil and darker than what Tirek and Somba did, and The Powerpuff Girls was still considered a kid's show.

So why can't "Friendship Is Magic" have way more eviler and darker villains than Tirek and Sombe are, and still be considered a kid's show?

Edited by AlicornSpell
  • Brohoof 2

Just make pony Zaheer and have him kill Celestia the same way Zeheer killed the earth queen. Oh to dark? I mean I guess anarchy in general is a bit dark for mlp. I'd think the writers would be hard pressed too portray anarchy in a kid friendly way. 

Also wasn't GlimGalm technically more evil thatn Tirek? She literally created hell on earth when she messed with Dash in the past. (Though Glim's is best good guy pone now.)

6 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

She seemed far more evil and powerful than Nightmare Moon and could have rivaled Tirek in this way,

IMO, the "more evil" part was clear.

But power-wise, they looked pretty even until Daybreaker landed a lucky hit.

2 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

But Dark Danny from "Danny Phantom" was WAY worse than Tirek and Sombra were, and Danny Phantom was still considered a kid's show.

Also The Powerpuff Girls had a one time villain named "Dick Hardly" (yes, that's his real) in the episode "Knock It Off" that managed to be one of the most evil and despicable villains ever in the show. And some of the stuff that Dick Hardly did were far more evil and darker than what Tirek and Somba did, and The Powerpuff Girls was still considered a kid's show.

So why can't "Friendship Is Magic" have way more eviler and darker villains than Tirek and Sombe are, and still be considered a kid's show?

Honestly, I'm not familiar with your reference points, but not really the target audience I'm thinking about as much as the general lighthearted feel of the show. It's been able to go relatively dark while still being entertaining (see Starlight's cult tactics), but I feel there might be a point where a darker villain changes the show in a way which I might not be happy with. I don't really want a villain to kill and torture characters onscreen. 

(edited)

The villains your looking for are Somnambula and King Charlatan.

One used spells to trap them so she could drain their youth in a matter of hours. The other was willing to cause a global ice age and  said any creature who can't withstand the cold doesn't deserve to survive.

Besides, Tirek is just generic big bad.

@Lambdadelta Who is the dinosaur with the slick hair-do?

Edited by Leave a Whisper

12 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Daybreaker could be that candidate, but they sorta ruined that by having it be a dream, which is probably where she will stay. She seemed far more evil and powerful than Nightmare Moon and could have rivaled Tirek in this way, considering she would have the Sun on her side. Currently I feel that Tirek will still reign supreme for a while because, well, he wanted to basically absolutely destroy everything AFTER stealing all magic in Equestria and to me, the only thing that could come close would be torture, which I don't think we will see anytime soon.

Daybreaker was far more powerful than NMM for sure, their fight pretty clearly shows how one sided it is.

At main post: hmm, maybe #shadowplay

• Brohoof 1

I tend to view Sombra as the more darker villain than Tirek; and quite possibly Chrysalis as well, though she had a little issue with egotism as well. I view Tirek as more of a brute and never really saw him as THAT dark; though I will concede that his pre-brute form was effective as a dark villain with his silver tongue.

(edited)

I would guess, that the next villian is Catrina from g1 like Tirek, it would depend on the developers how evil they make her.

Since the movie trailer, we know that this cat humanoids also exist in equestria.

1160610__safe_screencap_filly_g1_subtitl

Edited by Crystal Peppermint

8 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

Have to say that I never watched much of Danny Phantom, but this post made me at least look at the synopsis for the episode Dan Phantom inhabited. Much darker than I expected, to be honest. I may even watch it sometime!

The Tantabus was created by Luna as a way to inflict harm to herself for the guilt she had in the past for being Nightmare Moon. I think that's pretty dark in a psychological sense. 

Well considering how the comics described Shadowlock's ancestor who is possibly this season's villain as "A dark and terrible evil nearly destroyed all of Equestria" and how every single book in Equestria would have mentioned memories of his wickedness. Your wish just might be granted this season finale.

Honestly I want to see an end to the super villain archetype all together. That's nearly every season now- a new big baddie shows up and the Elements of Harmony have to take 'em down. Give us something more dynamic, Hasbro!

7 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Daybreaker was far more powerful than NMM for sure, their fight pretty clearly shows how one sided it is.

Were we watching the same fight?

Because from this end, it was clearly back-and-forth until Daybreaker managed to land a lucky shot.