Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is mlp to hard to follow for little girls

Ponyboy sodapop

4 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Only little girls could love little ponies after all amiright?

No, but it's mainly girls who does. And therefore it's reasonable to mainly target that particular group.  

But I feel like we derailed the topic far enough now, so let's just agree to disagree. 

• Brohoof 2

No. That is the great thing about MLP. It is a franchise built around a product for little girls, that does not talk down to them and enforce that stereotype that cartoons for young girls have to be terrible crap that nobody can like but them. Really young girls can get excited about the pretty ponies while not having to worry about the plot as much, older girls can follow along with the story, and even teens to adults can watch it and enjoy the connection between episodes and the overall lore of the show. Furthermore, even though female may be the target audience, there is plenty there for males as well from kids to adults for many of the same reasons.

@Justin_Case001 & @cmarston1 really nailed it with what they said. Little girls are not dumb and don't need a cartoon dumbed down for them. They deserve a quality show that can speak to them as much as it speaks to anyone. MLP does that very very well.

• Brohoof 4

What many Bronies think we're doing.                                                                                                 What we're actually doing.

Horsening.png.3fea21c4a7387dcaf9083f6fc64584da.png

Who calls this approximation of everyday human interactions deep and complex? We have fallen so high.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/28/2017 at 10:20 AM, Someguyinablazer said:

If little kids can follow the plot of Teen Titans Go, I am fairly confident they can follow that show too.

teens titan go doesn't have a plot kek.

It may be confusing only if they don't watch since the beginning. My favorite episodes, are the irrelevant to the story episodes. There are a lot of episodes that are irrelevant to the plot, which could be watched by anyone without having to watch a previous episode, but they will always build on and make the episodes with more detail as more details get added

21 hours ago, Yamet said:

No, but it's mainly girls who does. And therefore it's reasonable to mainly target that particular group.  

But I feel like we derailed the topic far enough now, so let's just agree to disagree. 

Except the thing is that people grow up, they age. Also, a few people (such as myself) watch it for therapeutic purposes, and its rather insulting to hear the "its only for little girls" argument, and Jim just added more fuel to the fire.

I think this topic belongs in Show Discussion but I'll leave it here as it has the potential to spill over into discussion on the spinoff media and whatnot.

I don't think the show itself is too hard to follow though.  Maybe it is a little bit if one wants to remember all the details of every episode, but even keeping track of the main arcs is not that difficult.  The comics, chapter books and even Equestria Girls are all completely optional and while I think they're great for expanding the universe of the show and giving fans a more complicated continuity if we want one, they aren't mandatory nor should they be.  EQG is probably as close as it gets to mandatory and uncomplicated spinoff media, or at least the main stuff (EQG has become this beast with its own A and B canon), but even it isn't absolutely mandatory.  All one really needs to be able to do is sit down and watch an episode.  

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Libra said:

Except the thing is that people grow up, they age. 

And that is relevant because... 

14 hours ago, Libra said:

Also, a few people (such as myself) watch it for therapeutic purposes, and its rather insulting to hear the "its only for little girls" argument, and Jim just added more fuel to the fire.

No, he did not. Mainly because he flat out said that despite the fact that it was aimed at little girls there was nothing wrong with people outside of that demographic enjoying the show. 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Yamet said:

And that is relevant because... 

No, he did not. Mainly because he flat out said that despite the fact that it was aimed at little girls there was nothing wrong with people outside of that demographic enjoying the show. 

What I mean is that Jim pretty much opened the flood gates to more harassment of users who like the show that aren't in the demographic.

"there's nothing wrong" well, according to some people, doing something or watching something is pretty much taboo. I told my friend I watched mlp, and he looked at me as if I just killed someone.

i don't need further harassment from other people, and Jim saying "its still originally meant for little girls" just pretty much invited further torment.

2 hours ago, Libra said:

i don't need further harassment from other people, and Jim saying "its still originally meant for little girls" just pretty much invited further torment.

I wish I knew the context of this quote because in certain context that is the right thing that needs to be said.

If people are telling Jim they want darker stories and deep emotional segments like that you'd see in Lord of the Rings or Star Wars then yes that is exactly what needs to be said. They can't do that because what little girl is entertained by the politics of Star Wars or the slow guidance talk of Gandalf. They need to keep these stories flashy and entertaining and only insert those moments to help the moral (a la "Brotherhooves Social").

It's why I see no problem with little girls following the show because the show is formatted for them to follow ("it's originally meant for them") but I've yet to hear anyone say it's ONLY for them.

1 minute ago, KH7672 said:

I wish I knew the context of this quote because in certain context that is the right thing that needs to be said.

If people are telling Jim they want darker stories and deep emotional segments like that you'd see in Lord of the Rings or Star Wars then yes that is exactly what needs to be said. They can't do that because what little girl is entertained by the politics of Star Wars or the slow guidance talk of Gandalf. They need to keep these stories flashy and entertaining and only insert those moments to help the moral (a la "Brotherhooves Social").

It's why I see no problem with little girls following the show because the show is formatted for them to follow ("it's originally meant for them") but I've yet to hear anyone say it's ONLY for them.

Then you havnt gotten around much.

Other members have posted some good answers, and here is my simple answer: Every little girl is different, so sometimes it's hard to follow and sometimes, it's not hard at all!

• Brohoof 1

I was wondering about this too. I think they can follow this for the most part, but there are times it is hard to follow. Let me also say that little children don't ask so much, so that makes it easier. ;)

1 hour ago, Libra said:

Then you havnt gotten around much.

I don't know, you're being too vague. I touched on a lot of things so what exactly am I naive on?

The presence of Jim's quote, my analogy to more adult film moments, my concluding sentence?

A little more elaboration please so I can understand the flaws in my reasoning....

8 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

I don't know, you're being too vague. I touched on a lot of things so what exactly am I naive on?

The presence of Jim's quote, my analogy to more adult film moments, my concluding sentence?

A little more elaboration please so I can understand the flaws in my reasoning....

I mean, I got told a few times the show of my interest is only for little girls, even though that isn't the case. I stand corrected on my previous statement. It is okay to have a target audience, but many people misinterpret toys/books/games as being only for said target audience.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Libra said:

I mean, I got told a few times the show of my interest is only for little girls, even though that isn't the case. I stand corrected on my previous statement. It is okay to have a target audience, but many people misinterpret toys/books/games as being only for said target audience.

Thanks now I get it. Trust me I understand that people can be closed off and generalizing toward the show. Yeah, I meant more that anyone associated with the show (i.e. Jim) has never said it is only for girls. If people really want to take it that way...pfft that's their problem I for one will enjoy my girly show. Unless the characters become dumbed down and their only problem is baking the perfect cake, they have no argument when it compares to the plots of other shows "more for our age."

Your asking if a franchise created for little girls...is too hard for little girls to understand? Wtf? :okiedokieloki:

It's My Little Pony, not freakin Donnie Darko or Kingdom Hearts.

Are you also implying that little girls are so dumb they can't follow a cartoon that's one part slice of life, one part fantasy adventure?

Why do so many bronies continue to think that girls cartoons are dumb, dull and sweet, when there are so many girls cartoons that kick ass and are capable of having complex storylines and yes looking cute? Some of which were created before quite a few of you were even born.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Libra said:

What I mean is that Jim pretty much opened the flood gates to more harassment of users who like the show that aren't in the demographic.

Well, no. Partly because everyone (apart from the fandom apparently) already knew that little girls are the target audience. And partly because as previously mentioned, he explicitly said that there was nothing wrong with people outside of that particular demographic enjoying the show. 

Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 1

On 8/31/2017 at 4:31 PM, cmarston1 said:

MLP is and has always been a show designed to sell toys to and teach moral lessons to little girls.

Just because it is good doesn't mean that it isn't the case.

I kinda get annoyed with people denying this because I feel like it goes against the show's inception.

Lauren Faust has stated that she based the show on the type of stories that she would have wanted to see as a little girl and show that media aimed at young girls could actually have conflict and plots and be entertaining.

And when they finally get media aimed at girls that is actually good, a bunch of older men outside of the target audience have to butt in, and say that it isn't for them, and force them to have to share one of the few pieces of media that they do get of actual quality.

I find it hypocritical that the fandom says it is trying to break down gender roles, while at the same time denying the feminine nature of the show, and basically saying that because it is good it isn't aimed at females or at least young females, which in turn reinforces the stereotype that media aimed at females is inherently bad.

Which I like I said before goes against the show's intentions, seeing how we even had an episode "A Dog and Pony Show" where the message was basically femininity does not equal weakness.

CMarston, you've hit the nail on the head.

44 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Well, no. Partly because everyone (apart from the fandom apparently) already knew that little girls are the target audience. And partly because as previously mentioned, he explicitly said that there was nothing wrong with people outside of that particular demographic enjoying the show. 

Okay, let me rephrase that. What I mean is that its okay for the show to have a demographic, but lots of people will misinterpret it as being only for said demographic.

Edited by Libra
Typo fix

I really don't see how MLP is deep or complex. Especially compared to shows like ATLA, TLoK, Exo Squad, JatH, SU and TF. Which has rich story telling and deals with any combination of political, societal, spiritual, moral/ethical and personal issues far better.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I stopped watching it after season 3 and the first Equestria Girls movie, maybe I saw the first episodes of season 4 as Power Ponies or Pinkie Pride, but then I just forgot until this year I remembered the show.

• 7 months later...